Sweet Spot

“100% on point” – Lady shares experience with Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa

BellaNaija.com

Canada-based Nigerian nurse @mrs_akin took to her Instagram page to share her experience with the Nigerian embassy in Ottawa.

In her post she revealed the process of getting her passport which used to be a bad experience has changed for the better as she got her passport delivered to her within two days, after one year delay on her part.

She wrote:

Last year July, I was in Ottawa to renew my passport, it was Eid Mubarak holiday, and the Nigeria high commission office was closed. Luckily for us, they came in on Thursday to open just for few hours. Unfortunately, the documents I brought was not enough. They asked me to email them a copy of the remaining one since we live a thousand miles away. Anyways, I forgot to email it to them, and finally sent it in two weeks ago (over a year).

Lo and behold I got a call from the High Commission in Ottawa two days to verify my address. This morning the mail man delivered my passports!!!! Somebody shout HALLELUJAH!

The purpose of this post is, we complain so much about these guys (I’ve also had a bad experience in the past) at the embassy in Ottawa but things have really really really changed. I was so impressed with their customer service, 100% ON POINT.

1. Nelly

August 11, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Yeah @madam poster, i can relate to your feelings. I must say they are really improving as my last visit to Nigerian embassy in London was not bad. I collected my passport and that of my daughter’s on the the very day i was asked to come for collection. But it is unfortunate that there is still some sort of nepotism going on there. I was asked to go make a photocopy of one of my document down the road, where as they have a photocopying machine but would not fo it for me. As i came up to tell my yoruba friend that i came with to look after my baby while i go down the road to look for where to photocopy. The girl asked me to give her the document, i did and she went downstairs, in less than 3mins she returned. I was shocked and asked how did she do that, she told me she spoke yoruba to the man and he helped her made the photocopy right there in their office.
    I said it is well with my soul.

2. Nelly

August 11, 2017 at 10:14 pm

*documents i meant
    ****do..
    My phone na oversabi dey worry am**

3. AHausaChickInToronto

August 11, 2017 at 10:16 pm

They have one no nonsense Hausa Oga, I think that’s why they’re so good. I also had a really good experience with the whole staff in general.

4. amaa

August 12, 2017 at 12:34 am

You see how you just gently and subtly infused tribalism in your comments. According to the Consulate site these are the team members that run the embassy Mr. Oluremi Oliyide,Mr. Mac Okwechime etc. So where does your no Nonsense Hausa come in. Applaud and move on

5. Ewa Ali

August 12, 2017 at 1:00 am

It is true o! they have an elderly Hausa man there, he was very professional, apologetic and inside where you capture they have this very handsome young man. I am glad they have improved, I still have a video on my Icloud of their terrible customer service

6. Honey

August 12, 2017 at 3:01 am

I also had a great experience in 2015. Flew in from Calgary and back d next day with my new passport

7. Anon

August 12, 2017 at 10:28 am

So it makes news everytime a Nigerian parastatal does the right thing, shows how bad things really are.

• Olanma

August 12, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Your comment is reasonless.

8. Ottawa Queen

August 12, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I can relate to this post. . .there is very much improvement in their service. For passport renewals, you get it same day without having to spend nights in a hotel waiting for collection.

9. Frank

August 12, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Let’s see how long it lasts. I don’t fuck with anything Nigeria including its passport

10. Anon.

August 12, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Can someone tell us if there is any improvement at naija Embassy in Newyork! My last experience there was not so good.

• aj

August 15, 2017 at 3:50 am

girl not at all. My sister is trying to get a Nigeran visa from there and it is a real hassle. try dc they are bit better.

11. Adebayo Ajilore

January 15, 2019 at 11:56 am

Please,my daughter just got married to a Canadian man that came to marry her here in Nigeria, Port Harcourt, Rivers state precisely, because I based in PH Nigeria. I just want know if Nigeria embassy in Canada can protect her in case of anything? And beside they are about to get her visa here in Nigeria.Please I want my country high commission over there to protect my daughter. Thanks sir/ ma.