News

ASUU to begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike

BellaNaija.com

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has said that it will on Monday decide if it will begin an indefinite strike.

A memo dated August 12, 2017, purportedly from the union, had circulated on social media claiming they would embark on an indefinite strike beginning Sunday, August 13, 2017.

The memo stated that a memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed by the Federal Government in 2014 after a 6-month strike had yet to be fully implemented.

The memo said of the N1.3tn earmarked for the Public Universities Revitalization (Needs Assessment) Fund, only N200bn has been released.

The memo continued that the union has decided, after exhausting all avenues to get the government to fully implement the 2009 FG-ASUU agreement and the 2013 MoU, to embark on a “total, comprehensive, and indefinite strike action.”

However, after Vanguard reached out the union to confirm the news, the National President Professor Biodun Ogunyemi last night simply invited them to attend a press briefing at Labour House on Monday.

See the memo below:

ASUU to begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike - BellaNaijaASUU to begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike - BellaNaija

Photo Credit: Twitter – @d_problemsolver

1. Nelly

August 14, 2017 at 11:14 am

This is so ridiculous. Studying in Nigeria is a big joke,everytime strike strike strike. A supposedly 4 years course due to the strike will take 8years to finish. I dont blame parents that send their wards to go study in Ghana and Congo because these countries invest in Education unlike Nigeria that the whole sector is dead. No proper education system, no good road, no steady light etc… They are more interested in looting and paying billions of naira to the lousy govt official that lazy around and do nothing. Sometimes i wish i was from atleast Congo. Ike ds country agwugom i swear.

2. common sense

August 14, 2017 at 12:01 pm

@ Nelly, I understand your plight.In as much as we have bad leadership, we also have bad followership. My problem with Nigeria is that we all see all these wrongs from our leaders and we are just looking and going to Church and Mosque to pray. God will not come down and pay salaries. We need to hold our leaders accountable.I don’t know exactly what but we need to do something!

• JOSEPHISM

August 14, 2017 at 12:48 pm

… And I was about asking “HOW” but unfortunately you stated there that you don’t know exactly too. See, the truth is this country is in soup. Our politicians have unfortunately captured not less than 80% of the youths hearts. Tell me what could be worse than that?

3. JOSEPHISM

August 14, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I always tell friends and I will say it here again…. ” nature cheated me”. Of all countries to be born, why Nigeria?

4. common sense

August 14, 2017 at 1:17 pm

@ Josephism, I have asked myself that question lots of times. But time is going and it seems nothing is changing.
    What I know is that these politicians are flesh and blood. They might have done unspeakable things to get to power but they are still flesh and blood. We can poke them in they eyes and damn the consequences,if for nothing, for the sake of our children.

5. Nelly

August 14, 2017 at 1:32 pm

@common sense, what would you have us do, we cant soil our hands my dear because of these politicians. Na God we dey fear nahh, we dont want attract God’s wrath upon [email protected] i quite agree with you that the said politicians have captured the hearts of the Nigerian youths. Ok lets take for example, imagine ur northern brothers saying that even if president Buhari will be too ill not to be able to campaign for presidency for 2nd term that they will do it for him and make sure he wins presidency the second time when he has been ruling us from a distance. He has been in London for months and no plan of returning.So my brother u see, our problem too much for this country. I pray make winter do and come so the cold can shrink him lolzz. I just tire oo my people.

6. Tolu4show

August 14, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Oh my God…my mother would be home all day, all week. This must not happen biko???

7. Nelly

August 14, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Awwww Tolu dear, dont worry God will take control to make sure the strike ends soon, so that your mum can return to work.