Scoop

Kemi Adetiba reveals New Movie #KingOfBoys is in the Works

BellaNaija.com

Ace filmmaker Kemi Adetiba, who was recently featured in CNN’s “African Voices” took to her Instagram page to address people who were doubting her craft and someone who referred to her as “more hype than talent”.

In her statement, she also revealed she has begun shooting for a new film titled “King of Boys“, if her debut feature film Wedding Party which happens to be the highest grossing film in the history of Nigeria is anything to go by, then we are certainly looking forward to her new movie.

See her posts below

My Google alert went off late yesterday, and I saw the headline, “I’m going to win an Oscar in 2-5 years.” I panicked slightly as I don’t remember saying this. I mean I BELIEVE it – but I didn’t remember saying it in an interview. I click on the link and it’s a recap of my “African Voices” feature (I totally forgot I did one) and it airs today.

I believe this was my response to a question about “goals” or where I SEE myself in the future. The entire interview is bigger than that one statement, but I understand the journalist’s choice of the one liner as a heading for sensationalism. I would choose it too. However I know with my “audacity to profess” some people’s panties might be in a twist over the statement, but I’ll ask you this. In my roughly 15 years in this business that spans from being a Radio personality, to TV personality, to DJing, to switching behind the camera as director, shooting my first short film (chosen to screen at two international film festivals without my personal submission), multiple award winning music videos (98% of my videos have been number 1 and I’ve worked with some of the biggest names in African music) spurring conversation and international spotlight reviews, to numerous documentaries and commercial campaigns for top Nigerian brands (you may or may not have known were shot by me), and finally KING WOMEN and the highest grossing film in the history of Nigeria. However you feel about the film, The Wedding Party, will not make the gross ONE naira shorter than it did or water down its significance in African cinema not just to us but to the world. I have constantly re-invented myself and ensured my new evolve totally overshadows the last.

Now, I reel these… accomplishments (?) not to pat myself on the back (anyone who knows me knows I’m bad at celebrating wins) but to ask you a question, “Have I let the world down yet?”. Now ask yourself another question, understanding my journey, if you were a betting man, wouldn’t you bet on me ? I’m just here trying to make my parents proud mehn and leave my stamp in this world. The roughness in my palms is proof of this. **caption cont’d** #SwipeLeft

1. Nelly

August 5, 2017 at 8:53 am

Kemi my dear, ignore Nigerians and do what makes you happy. Your parents will be so happy for you and same with me. We all want our children to live long and make us proud. Go girl…

2. bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 9:18 am

I commented but my comment is awaiting moderation…. 🙂

3. Awesome

August 5, 2017 at 9:23 am

No wonder MO Abudu removed her from directing Wedding Party 2, she sure has attitude problems.
    So, she thinks it was her directing that made Wedding Party a HIT!
    Let me keep quiet before they tag me a hater.

• bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 9:35 am

Did Kemi want to direct Wedding Paryy 2? Or maybe they found it difficult to work together because they had a different vision for the film. Wedding Party was a hit because Mo is a PR machine and the largest cinema chain were also producers so they gave the film the space and visibility they do not give other films.

• FinchleysFinest

August 5, 2017 at 11:30 am

Oga Awesome: “SHE SURE HAS ATTITUDE PROBLEMS”

You’re so certain of this because ??
      Assumption they say is life’s lowest form of knowledge. You are a hater..simple…

• Tims

August 5, 2017 at 5:18 pm

She was already working on another project. And say what you will, for those who critiqued TWP, the directing was definitely salvaged it, noting that the director doesn’t right the script.

4. bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 9:41 am

Kemi, I am a big supporter of yours not because Wedding Party was great but because you are a woman making your mark in Nollywood a very male dominated industry. I saw a documentary about Women In Nollywood at AFRIFF which only scratched the surface of what it must be like because that filmmaker was doing a one hour commercial for herself! You were not in it but most credible women who would have put her in the shade were not. 🙂

But lets get real for a second….

It is great to dream and aspire for great things but Wedding Party was a mess. I do not blame you because I know the people that you worked for 🙂 But unfortunately you and your career as a filmmaker will be defined by your feature film debut. And for most filmmakers the film that introduces them to the world is normally a strong indicator of talent.

Wedding Party my dear has not done for you what Green White Green has done for Abba Makama or B For Boy for Chika Anadu. It made money for Mo and Kene but set you up as a creator of an organised and glossy looking mess.

So, recognize the problem and make your second film quickly without the pressures of generating box office to pay back a loan for Filmhouse or helping Mo Abudu generate press stories to say she is Africa’s Oprah 🙂

Ensure your film shows that the problem with Wedding Party was not you… And then no one will chuckle when you say you are en route to getting an Oscar.

ps. Wedding Party did nothing for Africa because Nigeria is not Africa. If anything it takes filmmaking in the continent backwards and does not add any value to the great strides African filmmakers in South Africa, Kenya and francophone Africa [who screen legitimately at Cannes ] and get Oscar nominations too!

• Ephi

August 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm

***Wedding Party did nothing for Africa because Nigeria is not Africa. If anything it takes filmmaking in the continent backwards***

—————

How on earth did Wedding party take filmmaking in the continent backwards?

Geez, see a whole gallon of haterade sugarcoated under an epistle. Na was oooo. What kind of human beings are these?

• bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 6:37 pm

@Ephi, Kemi said ” water down its significance in African cinema not just to us but to the world”

The Wedding Party has no cinematic significance in African cinema or to the world. It has a significance in Nigeria because it made money and a lot of Nigerians equate money to success.

I like her but she should not confuse making an impact in the Nigerian market, with making an impact in Africa. Nigeria is one country and it is not doing well in cinema. 🙂

‘African’ cinema has come a long way. There are really credible films coming from other countries. Who could forget Viva Riva? Timbuktu, Tsotsi, lots of South African films, Nairobi Half Lie. They hall had great scripts, good technical achievement but did not make a lot of money, They went to credible festivals.

Wedding Party or any of the Nigerian films that played at Toronto would not be in the Toronto Film Festival if they did not have a focus on Lagos. How many of them were acquired after the festival? How many even got decent reviews. Show me the other major festival that it went to.

Timbuktu, Tsotsi had Oscar, Golden Globe, BAFTA nominations. The only thing Africa is yet to do is get a technically sound film, make money. Wedding Party made money but had amateur technique. It cannot compete anywhere. Let us aim higher. Lining pockets is not progress.

An if this is a gospel, then it is the gospel truth. If Kemi wants that Oscar she needs to start working towards it by acknowledging what is not working and make it weeeerrrkkk!

5. dd

August 5, 2017 at 11:45 am

if people don’t talk both negative and positive then you are not making a mark… Even Jesus was mocked, haters hate.i.e the pharisee(FAR TO SEE) and the sadducee(SAD TO SEE), let them stay myopic, they will soon Congratulate….. JESUS still the KING OF ALL KINGS.. Kemi do your thing girl , keep your head up and keep rising ..The Sky is your starting point..

6. Ephi

August 5, 2017 at 11:45 am

Go Kemi!
    If it’s not Kemi, it’s Toke, if it’s not Toke, it’s Tiwa. What exactly do people personally gain in pulling down others? What does it cost to encourage others?

Yes, there is a place for constructive criticism but that seems not to be the case these days but rather outright belittling, one person even called her delusional on the other post. What is the point of a dream if it’s not big?

Kemi, please carry go.

7. Symbee

August 5, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Well said Ephi…you know I saw somewhere where twas said; if your dream doesn’t scare you,then it isn’t big enough

8. MissBonnie

August 5, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Kemi , please don’t stress yourself. People will always talk,and it’s okay to say you want to get an Oscar . You have a goal that drives you everyday . I really hope you get that a Oscar ..haters just made me a fan..now going to follow Kemi Adetiba on instgram.

9. Sister Sister

August 5, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Kemi please, industry insiders know exactly how your wedding party Director role went. Another one had to be called in to clear aaaaaaall your mistakes. STOP IT!

10. MurderSheWrote

August 5, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Kemi is an amazing director. She’s the bomb to be honest. But I beg she should not use ‘The Wedding Party’ as an achievement. I mean come on, that movie won the box office because of great PR, marketing and timing AND because Nigerians are obsessed with ANYTHING WEDDING!!! The movie is in the same ranks with all those low-mid budget All Black American cast movies in the states. They tried commercially. But based on craft/depth/concept I’ll give that movie 2/100. I was shocked after watching it. I could not reconcile the hype and the actual product. My personal opinion should be as valid as yours so don’t be a waste under my comment o.

• ***

August 5, 2017 at 4:33 pm

The cast too was a propeller

Kemi I like your flirting game o…lol… I saw your anthony joshua move

• Bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 4:43 pm

That’s the thing. It is not a testament to the directors skill that it broke box office records. That is not directing.

Wedding Party was a major achievement for the producers and the cinematographer. But for the writer, director, sound folk, cast, it was a major fail. Same with Fifty. Imagine after all the hype, the film was actually technically on point. It would have broken more records, grossed more and even played well outside Nigeria.

Would be a shame if true creative talent is getting lost under money thirsty producers who are simply focusing on what will sell now instead of building careers that will grow the industry and ensure they are still making money in 50 years! We are too busy chasing now!

11. Eric

August 5, 2017 at 5:52 pm

TWP did well not because it was a spectacular cinematic piece of work. It was a feel good film that had the right bits and pieces needed to draw in the Nigerian audience. Same goes for AY’s 30 days in Atlanta, the Jamaican trip and this current sun city one. They are all feel good films but not films that set standards or compete internationally. They aren’t films that set bench marks, but by all means kemi use TWP to toot your own horn because being a part of It is something to be proud of. Nigerians enjoyed it, otherwise it wouldn’t have made that much money.

• bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Spectacular is reaching lol! If you are going to make a film, do it well. Nigerians will still feel good listening to good sound. In fact, they will feel better. The Wedding Party made more money than other films in Nigerian cinemas have made. That does not equal ‘much money’ because we do not even know how much they spent. If the film was ‘spectacular’ it would have made spectacular money! Get out, Moonlight, all films made with little money that made spectacular money globally.

12. bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 6:47 pm

The rate at which comments are ‘awaiting moderation’ makes me wonder how many other comments are in the queue and how many we never get to read. Democracy Bella style. lol!

13. Babe

August 5, 2017 at 9:56 pm

I really wonder why people just brandish the word “HATER”. As long as we all are not agreeing with the rest of you we are Haters! Wedding party was a let down for me! And I concur with Bolaji!

14. Remi

August 6, 2017 at 10:39 am

Wedding party was just a typical Nigerian film……the plot and the ending was shambles……..the viewers were more obsessed with the actors and cast…….there was heavy PR and marketing for it. If Kemi is using wedding party to showcase her skills then she s believing a hype. Anyone can have dreams of winning an oscar……i wish her luck

15. sika

August 6, 2017 at 11:30 pm

I made that comment she referred to….Hia!
    Aunty kemi ejo ma abinu. but you didnt have to show your insecurity by writing your CV on instagram na! Sheesh!!!

• bolaji