News

Read Alexx Ekubo’s Open Letter to an Airline – “This gross Nonchalance & general misconduct by service providers in Nigeria has gone on for to long”

BellaNaija.com

Nollywood actor Alex Ekubo is speaking out after a recent unpleasant experience with Nigerian airline, Dana Air.

Here’s the open letter he posted on his social media page:

MY OPEN LETTER TO DANA AIR

I’m usually not the type to rant, but today i am beyond upset, this gross Nonchalance & general misconduct by service providers in Nigeria has gone on for to long it needs to STOP, you can’t keep treating paying costumers with reckless disregard, & expect them to remain silent forever. Rampant delays & Sporadic cancellation of scheduled flights without concern for the traveler’s engagement has now become a Norm in our Aviation Sector.

So yesterday my colleagues & i were booked on the 7:40am flight to Owerri, only for them to announce by 9am that due to “operational reasons” a term airliners now carelessly use, that the flight was moved to 12:30pm, pls note that our engagement was billed to start by 11am, long story short, calls were made top staff were woken up & a plane “Miraculously” surfaced to evacuate us by 10am, we narrowly made the event on time.

Now, today our departure back to lagos was set for 8:45am then for “operational reasons” it was moved to 12pm then for another “operational reason” it was moved to 2pm then 4pm then eventually we left by 5:30pm which leaves me wondering whether they were operationally assembling the plane in the backyard. Also Note that all this while NO member of staff from DANA AIR came to address us or comfort us or even offer us water, all these information you had to go & get from their desk, when i asked the man behind the counter he said that FAAN (Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria) would not allow them come to the departure lounge to address the passengers.

Interestingly we found out that the Md & GM of DANA AIR who was scheduled to be on the same flight as us after a while of delay flew off on AIR PEACE, wow! How cool is that? Perhaps they had more “important things” to do in Lagos than little ol me.

I’ve come to the logical conclusion that the management of DANA AIR are insensitive, nonchalant, carefree, unperturbed & unbothered of their customers well being & prior engagements.

As an Entertainer all i have is my voice & i’ve decided to speak forth on an issue that affects all & sundry.

Finally If i can’t change the situation i wish i spark the Brain that does.
Good Night All!

1. John

August 13, 2017 at 5:50 am

Thank you, Alex. I’m sorely tempted to unleash some profanities here, remembering my own experience with the same airline not too long ago. You kept it clean and so will I. Now, let me, on behalf of sane humanity say to you…sorry for your pain. Because if you are waiting for the airline to do so, you have another long, frustrating wait coming, Bro. Guess most of our local service providers have equally picked up this insidious habit exhibited by our government: ignoring you. Government fails to pay salaries for months and just ignores their employees: no explanation or apology. Meanwhile, the Ministers in charge get their salaries every month like clockwork. Ditto the Presidency and the National Assembly members. The rest of us civil servants are told to go suck an egg….like, if you are fed up with the bs, you know what to do.
    As our people will say…..one day one day, monkey go go market & e no go return.

2. Asa

August 13, 2017 at 10:19 am

Dana Air to Uyo in February. . . We nearly slept at the airport. Chai!

3. Fearless

August 13, 2017 at 2:48 pm

The suffering of passengers in Nigeria is of no importance to the nigerian airlines and their staff including FAAN. Yet International flights manage to leave pretty much on time. The number of times I have stayed at the airport waiting for flight for over 7 hours. And the stress levels…
    What will it take to turn things around for the good of paying customers booked on domestic flights? I find it a nightmare travelling by air within Nigeria and try my best not to.
    The height of it was an airline trying to sell me a ticket for direct flight from Abuja airport to Lagos, for one of the dates that Abuja airport was closed for repairs. When I told their reservations that I was aware that Abuja airport would be closed for that date, I was told that they had not been “officially” informed so would continue selling tickets for direct flights from Abuja airport until they were officially informed, Didn’t make any sense.
    They take Nigerian customers for granted too much!

4. Grace Audu

August 13, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Thanks Alex. But I think the aviation sector in Nigeria has a serious problem with the way customers are treated. I had the same experience with medview airlines 3weeks ago as my flight to kaduna which was scheduled for 2.30pm from Lagos did not take off till 9pm at night. We just sat at the airport wondering what may have gone wrong. The general excuse is”operational reason’

5. Iris

August 13, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Quite frankly he should just be happy he made it out of that flying coffin alive. Useless people given allowance by a useless ministry.

6. Baby gurl

August 13, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Not only Dana. All Nigerian businesses are mediocre in performance and operations. By all I mean 99.8% of all Nigerian businesses. The staff act like they are the only ones that have problems in life. Customer Service is 0%. Support 0%. Nothing works. No standards. No checks. Everything is NADA, NADA, NADA!!!! My business will change that in our own small corner and our own small way.

7. chrisyinks

August 13, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Dana air still owes me 29,000 from a cancelled return flight from PH to Lagos in 2013 and they’ve made no reasonable attempt at refunding my money.

8. zzzzzzzzzzz

August 14, 2017 at 10:39 am

I posted a similar story (Bella refused to post my comment) about how Arik air staff had turned touts collected 2,500 naira from me for a flight I arrived 30 mins before takeoff, and mind you we remained on the tarmac for another 30mins before takeoff. It’s like with the new administration everything has gone to the dogs. The airports are filthy, the arrival lounge of MM2 welcomes you with the stench from the soakaway and there is no running water at the toilets. The workers deliberately do it so that you can tip them. I am not talking of just Lagos airport, this is all over. the best our airports have ever been was during Stella Oduah’s tenure. Ben Murray Bruce is in the senate committee for aviation and I am beginning to have the feelers that he only talks no action.