Scoop

The Storyteller! Richard Mofe-Damijo covers ThisDay Style Magazine

Award-winning actor and lawyer Richard-Mofe Damijo is the cover star for ThisDay Style Magazine‘s latest issue.

The star was shot by renowned photographer TY Bello, who shared a personal message as she shared more photos of the movie star.

She wrote:

My portraits of our amazingly handsome@mofedamijo are out for the cover of today’s @thisdaystyle. He was interviewed by @duchesskaykay and styled by @gypsyelvis

The first thought I had about his portraits was water.. and school.. and then Makoko .. I killed the idea thinking it was way too random opting for a sleeker shoot at a friends house with a water front .. I was going to borrow a seriously lit boat and make some really smooth images.

Until my friend @msabisoye Invited me for the launch of her new space for @pearlsafrica and GirlsCoding where she and her team teach young girls from underserved communities how to write codes.

This was where I saw Sharon .. this young girl with an amazing smile that came forward and made a beautiful presentation ..standing confidently right in front of Mrs Oby Ezekwesili.
Sharon lives in Makoko a fishing community built on the Lagos lagoon. She spoke about trying to solve the problem of food insecurity by building a website using the knowledge from GirlsCoding, for fishermen to display their goods so people outside the community could buy. She also spoke about using technology to help solve child malnutrition.

She was beautiful to watch and the first words that came to mind were, this girl is a star. I was shooting RMD the next day and I switched to my initial idea to shoot in Makoko. I had to find an excuse to photograph her. I called my friend @otto_orondaam founder @slum2school knowing he had very strong presence in the Makoko community .. he hooked me up with the necessary contacts within a couple of hours. Coincidentally, Sharon was also a beneficiary @slum2school.

It was a joy to watch Richard Mofe Damijo share the lime light with this beautiful star from Makoko . .. another big coincidence was that 80% of the movie he was producing next was going to be shot in that same space. I concluded this was no coincidence at all ..Providence had brought it all together .. When I asked RMD if he was a good swimmer as he would not have a life jacket on the canoe..he replied ‘ No be Warri boy I be .. ?Na inside water dem take born me ‘.. #tybellophotography #thisdaystyle

See more photos

Credits:
Photography:@tybello
Interview: @duchesskaykay
Styled by: @gypsyelvis .

1. E

August 13, 2017 at 3:59 pm

I love these shots. Ty Bello did a good job and RMD is my person all-day everyday.

2. provi

August 13, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Lol.. That girl in the second or third picture, I wonder if Ty Bello is trying to introduce the next Jumoke bread seller.

This one will be abike the fish girl.

LOL..

Pls anyone that wants to make it.. Try looking out for Ty bellos shoots and appear in it anyhow oo…

• Chu

August 15, 2017 at 4:44 pm

She did say wo the girl is. She isn’t a random wakapass. That girl is going places.

3. Hadassah

August 13, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Bella, RMD a music star? Please edit your post

4. Ewa

August 13, 2017 at 5:27 pm

“The star was shot by renowned photographer TY Bello, who shared a personal message as she shared more photos of the music star”. – When did RMD become a music star?

5. Osa

August 13, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Abeg make rmd go siddon somewhere. I dont understand all this clinging to fame. Acting work get lifespan for men too o

• Sade Twyse

August 13, 2017 at 6:05 pm

You think it’s easy to give up fame? lOl

• Eti Osa

August 13, 2017 at 6:09 pm

What’s your point again?

• BOSS

August 13, 2017 at 6:27 pm

[email protected], clinging on to fame? But, some actors must act the part of old men nau. Not that I care for RMD. I think he is all hype.

• Wendy

August 13, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Tempted to call you stupid but wth? It’s Sunday I’ll be nice. So here we go:
      Firstly, fame is his business. So he’s clinging on to his job and career? Oh! so that if he goes broke they’ll now start donating money for him abi? I see you.
      Secondly, I beg your pardon but your statement is disrespectful and myopic. You must be a young child or didn’t grow up in Naija in the 90s. RMD is not some internet celebrity. He paid his dues – was the hottest and one of the most talented human beings on tv… went back to school – prove he was more than a fine face…. did some politics, and ‘finally’ came back to industry – still talented and looking hot af! If anything you should celebrate his ability to make a comeback and be relevant. It’ll be a blessing if anyone is half as successful and relevant in their careers as this man up there after decades… especially one as fickle as the movie business.

All that being said, I guess the PR industry in Nigeria still needs some work. Real celebrities having to use their personal social media to remain in our consciousness is sometimes unbeffiting on their ‘status’.

• Tutu

August 14, 2017 at 3:37 am

Who is this one?

6. Ec

August 13, 2017 at 8:45 pm

He isn’t clinging to fame. He is famous. Actually an industry legend. Doesn’t hurt that he is like fine wine.
    Lets celebrate our own

7. Bolaji

August 13, 2017 at 8:48 pm

With a lot of our Nigerian actors, we will never know their true potential until they get the opportunity to work on great scripts with ‘ace’ directors!

8. Omoté

August 14, 2017 at 1:26 am

RMD! My man crush that year! Chai! This bobo got hotter with age! Lemme come n b going b4 my oga catches me drooling oh!

9. Chu

August 15, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Are you serious? What of Morgan Freeman? Tom Cruise? George Clooney. Should I go on. Smh.

• Chu

August 15, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Response to Osa

10. Truth-be-told

August 24, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Are we even having this discussion at all about RMD’s credibility? Really?