Scoop

BN Weddings Hot Topic: Should Women wear their Wedding Dresses Again?

BellaNaija Weddings

For most women, their dress is the centerpiece of their wedding day, and even after the ceremony, they keep it safe as a prized possession.

It’s a precious outfit which a woman wears when she marries the person she intends to spend the rest of her life with.

Photo Credit: Enhle Mbali | @enhlembali

After the wedding dress is worn, what do you do with it? Most women pack it up or leave it hanging in their wardrobes, others safeguard it for their daughters and some simply sell it or give it away.

Over the weekend, actress Enhle Mbali re-rocked her wedding reception dress for the #DSTVMVCA and this raised a lot of comments on the issue.

Enhle shared a photo of herself at the event with the caption:

Wore it again.

As expected the Twitterverse went into a frenzy, a lot of people gave her thumbs up for finding something else to do with her wedding dress. Among the supporters was her husband Black Coffee who tweeted a photo of her saying:

@kele_p said:

Thanks for being exemplary, showing young women that they can wear their dresses ? as many times as they wish to… #IWoreItAgain ?

@tshepomotse said:

Slay my lady! Repeated dress or not, fact remains you slayed,??????? do wear it again, whoever has a problem will just have to be strong??

Some people were not buying the idea of wearing a wedding dress again to another event.

@himthird pointed out the fact that she was repeating her wedding dress:

@nenjazi said:

I personally wouldn’t do it but won’t knock somebody for doing so

@nkosi_dels said:

She doesn’t have the right to do that

So BellaNaijarians, what are your thoughts?

1. Sul

August 28, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Honestly with all d money dat usually goes into diz dresses it pains me dat dey only get used once. ?

i knw its usually fr keepsake afterwards, so dt u cn pull it out once in a while n say “dis was my wedding dress” n den put it back in the trunk N dts it….literally?

dt kinda sucks.

2. josdaily

August 28, 2017 at 5:39 pm

she looked good too. Of course you can re-rock it. Just make sure you buy dress that is easly re-worked. No rules against that, .

3. The Real Oma

August 28, 2017 at 6:31 pm

There are really no rules for what an adult can or cannot do so long as it is not hurting anyone.
    Having said that, I will love to be able to re-wear my wedding dress, so will make sure to choose one as nice and simple as this lady’s.

4. bey

August 28, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Infact as soon as mine fits again( due to baby weight) I will wear my reception dress again,as it’s even blue.
    I wore my prom dress to a dinner again in my 2nd year of uni.
    My wedding dress that will be too much. But it’ll give it out eventually. Hate hoarding things

5. BlueEyed

August 28, 2017 at 8:14 pm

This looks like her reception dress, and if the dress (which you paid a hella money for) can be re-rocked why shouldn’t you?? Who made any rules for what women should and shouldn’t wear? Miss me with all that basic nonsense

6. Dora

August 28, 2017 at 10:38 pm

There are no rules. Each to his own. Do what u like. I would re-wear my one if it is not overboard. I love her one and it is definitely re-wearable!

7. CBM

August 29, 2017 at 5:23 am

personally i wont wear mine again, it’s form a special day. So wearing it again may be somehow. I ll just sell it off or donate. But she looks good and hers is simple. Nice!

8. ec

August 29, 2017 at 10:07 am

of course she can re-rock it.
    Not only is she married to Black Coffee and can afford many more dresses, she is also a fashion designer and can afford it!!

9. HOLAKEN

August 29, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Why not? That’s why it’s musnt be too bogous. If you think you can’t wear it on a normal day then wear it on you wedding anniversary day

10. Ade

August 30, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Before nko? Is she supposed to throw the dress away? That is why it is good for a bride to be to make her wedding dress in such a way that she would be able to rerock it…..if she so desires.
    There is nothing wrong with wearing your wedding dress again!