News

Court dissolves 30-year-old marriage of ex-Super Eagles Coach Onigbinde

BellaNaija.com

Court dissolves 30-year-old marriage of ex-Super Eagles Coach OnigbindeA Customary Court in Mapo, Ibadan has dissolved the 30-year-marriage between former Super Eagles coach, Adegboye Onigbinde, and his wife, Anne on the grounds that there is no more love in the union.

While delivering his ruling, president of the court, Ademola Odunade, directed the veteran coach to pay a sum of N5,000 to his former wife to enable her to move her belongings out of his house, Premium Times reports.

Onigbinde earlier this month alleged that his wife is violent and stubborn and unwilling to live harmoniously with him prompting him to file a divorce suit against her.

He told the court: “My lord, with my 79 years of age, I cannot continue to die in silence due to Anne’s litany of problems.Among many other troubles I have encountered in the hands of Anne, I have also suffered uncountable financial losses during the process of trying to give Anne means of livelihood so that she wouldn’t be idle.

“Among many other troubles I have encountered in the hands of Anne, I have also suffered uncountable financial losses during the process of trying to give Anne means of livelihood so that she wouldn’t be idle.

“On three separate occasions, I have established veritable business ventures for her and on each occasion, Anne wrecked the business. I can’t continue in such wastage. For many years, Anne has been a thorn in my flesh through ceaseless trouble-making as it is one day, one trouble in my home.

“Can you imagine that it was not until only one week to the wedding ceremony of the only daughter she had with me that she informed me? In fact, Anne has openly turned that daughter against me because she doesn’t take any instruction from me,” Onigbinde said.

Anne had, however, opposed the request for the divorce and denied all the allegations levelled against her. She said after he married another wife 10 years ago, things have changed from bad to worse.

“In the interest of the child between us, I have nowhere to go, please, help save my marriage”, Anne pleaded.

1. Elle

September 22, 2017 at 10:07 am

It’s sad to see marriages end. What struck me is the N5000 the court asked to be given to the wife. I would like to think there will be more the wife gets from the settlement otherwise it’s such a shame the laws here don’t properly settle women after a divorce. May God help both parties to heal and move on.

• carloss

September 22, 2017 at 10:44 am

its 5000 to move her things, not 5000 as settlement.

• john

September 22, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Continue hoping to like..if u divorce ..ure on ur own.. I taught u like equality so why would a man settle a woman after a divorce..is the woman handicapped..it is funny u didnt the see that the man married a terrible woman who naggs and gives him headache….if it was the opposite, u would have been shouting men are scum ..but ure concern is money ….why cant the woman settle the man with money( and dont give me that ridiculous excuse of her raising the children as if the man wasnt working and toiling hard to foot the bills and needs of his grown up daughter) …feminists my ass. At least on the good side ..she is finally strong and independent and need no man, no.

• bea

September 22, 2017 at 1:04 pm

@John did you hear the woman’s side where is said they have being having issues since he married someone else 10years ago?

Truth is more often than not in marriages, only the parties know what is true and false so we choose not to judge them. However in my opinion this marriage broke down many years ago and they learnt to live with it why the divorce now? That for me speaks volume. There is a terrible rift somewhere and the man wants to deal with it before he goes to his grave maybe.

By my analysis, it is most unlikely that this woman is this man’s first wife or only mother of his children because if by figures provided they got married when he was 39years old in their generation it was rather late on his part. My question then is what happened to the first wife?

Also I believe Mr. Onigbinde was unfaithful to her in the 90s as I am privy to a lady he was dating in Ibadan then and they were together for many years.

2. keke driver

September 22, 2017 at 10:22 am

I thought they were still in court? this is so sad, even after 30 years of marriage.???

3. carloss

September 22, 2017 at 11:05 am

Wow, 3o years of marriage…Lord help everyone going through divorce

• Wendy

September 22, 2017 at 3:58 pm

30 years of what was obviously a shritty marriage. Good radiance to bad rubbish. Why it had to be so public is what I don’t know.
      Marriage is so overrated, and to make matters worse, Nigerians hardly have any emotional attachment to anything or anyone. Lets see, Onigbinde (as it usually is with most men) is already with another woman… and the wife is usually only protesting cos she doesn’t want the other woman to ‘reap the fruits of her labor’.
      Neither of them TRULY give a crap about the institution of marriage.
      Save your prayers for Bauchi, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

• Anon

September 22, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Wendy – I agree.

But radiance? Radiance can’t be associated with anything bad. 🙂

• Wendy

September 22, 2017 at 9:36 pm

@Anon – thank you. I can officially go to bed now that I’ve learnt my one thing for the day. Good RIDDANCE to the rest of my day. 🙂

4. Uberhaute looks

September 23, 2017 at 12:01 am

Hahaha @Wendy.
    It is obvious that women are not protected in Nigeria at all.