Music

Mr Eazi clarifies statement on $6000 per month Job, adds that he “brought a new vibe to the industry”

BellaNaija.com

Mr. Eazi

Singer Mr Eazi has clarified his recent statement on giving up a $6000 per month job to focus on his music career.

Mr Eazi had earlier faced criticism from Nigerians on social media after he said the new wave Nigerian sound draws inspiration from Ghana, a sound, he said he’s a pioneer of.

Mr Eazi, in an interview with Capital Xtra said Nigerian artistes now copying his “formula”. It was after the interview he made the statement on turning down the job.

Some social media users however said he was only an intern at the said company and was never a staff, thus could not earn that much. Mr Eazi however clarified that he never said he was a staff, adding that he was offered a full time job, but turned it down.

“I turned down the job; I didn’t say I had started working there. I don’t think there is anything wrong with being an intern. I don’t have anything to gain by lying about such a thing. The truth remains that I was offered a job by Schlumberger, but I decided not to take it, but rather concentrated on my career. And that is a decision I’ve never regretted till date,” Mr Eazi told Sunday Scoop.

He also stood by his words that he “brought a new vibe to the (music) industry”.

“The interview that caused this uproar was just me speaking my mind and saying things the way I see it from my perspective. It wasn’t meant to be an insult to any Nigerian artiste. You cannot deny that I brought a new vibe to the industry and I believe everybody can see that. Now, there are lots of Nigerian artistes who use Ghanaian words and melodies in their songs, but they’ve never been to Ghana. So how did they get to know about those words? There are a lot more songs out now that have that Ghanaian influence, and with all due respect, I can boldly say that started after my songs started gaining popularity,” Mr Eazi said.

“I don’t have to mention anybody’s name. I am sure that those who are discerning know what I’m talking about,” Mr Eazi said, when asked to mention the artistes that are copying his “formula”.

1. my opinion

September 17, 2017 at 2:21 pm

But did he lie?

• truth

September 17, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Yes eazi lied.Has he listened to old naija highlife, or even chykay who sang using gh languages before eazi ever smelled popularity? Yes, he might have his unique style, but he should learn to research and humble himself before he speaks, especially when his career is in its infancy. A boastful person always falls a victim to their own ego.

2. Stephen

September 17, 2017 at 2:32 pm

RUNTOWN USED MR. EAZI LYRICS TO BECOME SOMEBODY
    WEN HE FIRST SANG IN NIGERIA IT WAS GABBAGE, TRASH UNTILL AFTER MR. EAZI
    THEN RUNTOWN COPIED AND MADE A HIT TRACK.
    SO BIG UP TO MR.EAZI FOR HAVEN BEING THERE WITHOUT EAZI THERE MIGHT NOT BE ANY RUNTOWN TODAY.

• blmola

September 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm

liesssssssssssss

• Tosin

September 17, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Runtown was never garbage, my dear.
      And I’m not sure you meant the part about lyrics either. Lyrics? as in words?

• Chic

September 18, 2017 at 9:49 am

Please go and listen to ‘Gallardo’ by Runtown and tell me how that sounds like Mr Eazi’s song. What’s all this?

3. Oluwakemi

September 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm

@stephen did you just without Eazi, there won’t have been a runtown. Get your facts right man. Runtown was already a household name before Eazi was known. Calm down man

• Mamamia

September 17, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Nope he wasn’t. But what do I know since mediocrity thrives in our generation including the music they all churn out these days, no inspiration, no meaning just beats that make you fell empty after. Big ups Asa, Nonso amadi, tuface, bez, simi and Adekunle gold just to mention but a few who do real music??

4. Kemi Adekunle

September 17, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Mr. Eazi please don’t EVER apologise or clarify especially when you are speaking the truth which is in plain view for all to see. People don’t like to hear truth these days and their feelings are so easily hurt. So what’s wrong if Mr. Eazi is Nigerian by birth and parentage but likes to identify as Ghanaian? Freedom of choice abi? Just let the man be, enjoy his music and stop being so DAMN sensitive….gees it’s only music now!!! Thanks to him, Afro beats is going global especially with his Apple Music next new artist gig. It’s a win for all African’s whether he wants to identify as Ghanaian or Nigeria. If the tables were turned and he wasn’t successful, we won’t be claiming him as Nigerian, my people we know ourselves now….no be truth I dey talk???

• Abk

September 17, 2017 at 11:23 pm

What nonsense are you saying about us “claiming him”, isn’t he Nigerian? Why do we have to claim him when they’re bigger stars like Davido and Wizkid (even though I don’t like them) who have been making waves before him and even till now? It’s because he “claims” Nigeria that he became famous and successful? Who knew him when he was in Ghana? Sit down please!

5. Marvel

September 17, 2017 at 3:40 pm

@Stephen, you don’t read like someone clued up about the Music industry. If you listen to Duncan Mighty’s first hit, you’d be forgiven for thinking he was Ghanian. Olamide rapped with a Ghanian accent as Lil Kesh. B2K made waves with Nigerian artistes before Eazi, who should be less concerned about which Nigerian is clued up on banku and Mami and start writing new material.
    The only thing he’d be remembered soon for, will be as Temi’s lapdog.

6. Stephen

September 17, 2017 at 6:02 pm

YESSSS TRUE

7. Anon

September 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm

I just watched him on Channel 4 news. Quite articulate.

8. Sul

September 17, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Its like dis guy will need to start filling form and waiting for approval frm nigerians befre he gives ny interviews o, na wah my peepo! Let it go. Ha! D way his comments pepper us is a ghana/nigeria jollof something. Smh.

9. Amandi

September 17, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Smh
    Eazi just needs to keep quite for a change
    but reading comments here and on social media i have realised that you Nigerians are just unnecessarily extra
    Pride and Ego will be your downfall

10. Simply_Seun

September 17, 2017 at 9:55 pm

There is nothing like Originality in music, or the way it sound, He got his inspiration from someone, a band, or a culture. so all this “i brought this, i brought that ” should stop. As long as you are a musician/entertainer you cant lay 100% claim to a sound. So sit down bro, enjoy the warm embrace of your teeming fans, AND BE HUMBLE!!!.

11. josdaily

September 17, 2017 at 10:25 pm

This man talks too much

12. Sade Twyse

September 17, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Always in the news for everything except his supposed talent.

13. Sean

September 17, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Lai Mohammed jr

14. Moniker

September 17, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Manchester United won Everton 4-0.

• Trex

September 18, 2017 at 2:51 am

Thank you jàre, leave all these ones to be talking about Mr Eazi

15. tarzan_qool

September 18, 2017 at 12:44 am

EEZ like you’re craving mad

16. Chic

September 18, 2017 at 9:51 am

Mr. Eazi is the new basket mouth. He needs to take a chill pill.
    Didin’t even know him till last year , but I’ve know Runtown for at least 5 years.

17. Adk

September 18, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Abeg who b easy or na easi?
    Which song him sing?
    Who offer post intern $6k job for SchlumB?
    I still dey look for him song o

18. Lol

September 18, 2017 at 5:10 pm

If we are being real high life is from Liberia first! If anyone should be angry it’s them