Relationships

“It was quite an abusive situation” – Janet Jackson’s Brother opens up about her recently ended Marriage

BellaNaija.com

Pop star Janet Jackson‘s recently ended marriage to Wissam Al Mana has been in the news following her return to her tour schedule and debuting lyrics that detailed abuse on stage.

Janet Jackson confirmed the split back in April, after which the two have been involved in a legal battle.

The couple welcomed their only child together, son Eissa, back in January.

In a new interview with People, Janet Jackson’s brother Randy Jackson opens up on the challenges that the marriage faced

He said:

It was quite an abusive situation. It came on later in the relationship, verbal abuse and being [made to feel like] a prisoner in her own home. No pregnant woman needs to go through being called a bitch every day. There were things like that. That’s what she went through.

There’s a lot of pain. Janet’s been through a lot with her divorce. I’ve been through a lot, we all have.

I told her, ‘You’ve got to move in with me or I’m going to go over there and there’s going to be hell.’ She was really pissed off. I told her, ‘I don’t care anymore. I’m tired of it. It’s too much’. I have a lot of Muslim friends and they don’t act that way at all. It’s a personal issue that he needs help with and I’m going to pray for him, too. But I’m not going to allow her to live in that abusive situation. She’s my baby sister….The abuse is still going on. She has custody and he of course allowed her to bring the baby on tour, but it’s constant harassment. This tour almost didn’t happen, but by the grace of God we’re here and we’re very prayerful.

In a statement released to PEOPLE, attorneys for Al Mana say “Mr. Al Mana is not going to dignify these particular and deeply hurtful allegations with a response. The breakdown of his marriage to Janet Jackson is a cause of great sadness to Mr. Al Mana, and it is the wellbeing and privacy of their son, Eissa, that remains his sole focus.”

Read more here.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Venturelli/WireImage

1. bolintin

September 13, 2017 at 2:32 pm

ALL yea tappers and tappies of SM marraiages and relationships I hope you are learning everyday o because despite our several campaign against it I notice that most of you still tapp into the anointing of fine marriage from SM.

• seriously

September 13, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Well, just because she’s Janet jackson men won’t treat her differently and just because he’s a rich Arab man married to a top American celebrity, he won’t abandon his beliefs. Janet knew what she was getting herself into and she still chose it. So, she should deal with the consequences.
      There’s a two side to every story but violence, being chauvinistic, abusive is not far fetched from muslim men. And these muslim countries don’t have laws that protect women. That’s what helps the western world. Also, their religion supports women to be of a servitude to the men.
      I know, people say there are christian men beating up their wives everyday. True. However, the true practice of christianity says love your wife as Christ loves the church.
      So, if you doing something outside of that, you ain’t a christian or repent lol

• ND Babe

September 13, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Janet you for ask us before you marry Alhaji. If you are used to freedom, your best position is girlfriend position. if you are trying to be your liberated self everyday, marrying one of them is the antithesis of that dream. We coulda saved you the agony.

September 13, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Seriously so Christian men don’t abuse their spouses? If you choose to be a bigot don’t add stupidity to it now….you just embarrass yourself for nothing.
      It’s unfortunate the way things went down. Only God knows ….there are always 2 sides to every story. Glad she’s happy now.

• Random

September 14, 2017 at 2:50 pm

@Seriously you’ve succeeded in diverting the opportunity to discuss the allegations of abuse of which ALL men are guilty of to exposing your biased agenda and that’s a shame.

And we have all only heard one side of the story. This is the problem with celebs. Their voices are always louder and the sympathy Would always favor them. I’m guessing the man just called her bitch for the heck of it? And she said nothing for 5 long years? It doesn’t add up…Couples do engage in verbal disagreements and we don’t have any evidence beyond their own side of the story.

And if he’s guilty what has his tribe or faith got to do with it? A person’s character is fully responsible for their actions. Isn’t he a London guy? Many of the Arans in the U.K. arent even that serious about their faith. They’re lavish everyday people.

2. bolintin

September 13, 2017 at 2:38 pm

…by the way I really hope she is fine. we most definitely don’t want to hear any evil report concerning her or her son.

3. Tony

September 13, 2017 at 2:40 pm

When it comes to Marriage. Humans need to be careful. Janet Jackson isn’t a teenager and should have known what she is getting into. I don’t trust one sided stories and it’s good the husband has not started counter rants. Marriage isn’t a piece of pie in today’s world of influences.

4. kkay

September 13, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Hmmm….I remember the movie, NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER.
    Nobody should stay in an abusive marriage.

• Nne

September 14, 2017 at 12:48 pm

chai my mum made me watch that movie with her.

5. Tessa

September 13, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I always think of that movie too Not Without My Daughter. I watched it as a kid and yet it is still so vivid in my memory. I hope he gets help. I hope she recovers mentally.

• Mrs chidukane

September 13, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Omg, I saw that movie as well as a kid. Very gripping. Wish I could see it again. Not without my daughter.

6. Lilo

September 13, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Janet probably haven’t spoken with Randy in a decade. These no-talent having Jackson brothers always doing the most all the damn time

7. Linda

September 13, 2017 at 3:56 pm

You married an Arab and a moslem what the fck did you expect? That they won’t abuse you. It’s in their DNA. If he doesn’t abuse a woman to them he’s not man enough

Truth hurts

• anonymous

September 13, 2017 at 4:58 pm

With people like you, no wonder Nigeria is like this. So you just spewed that rubbish from your mouth about another tribe?
      Why does everything have to be religion or tribe? I pray you get the much needed help, cos this is no reasonable way to view issues

• seriously

September 13, 2017 at 5:38 pm

@anonymous
      Sorry, Nigeria got more problems than what you mentioned. Linda sounds harsh but let’s be real with ourselves. The world is made of tribes and religions. And each of them have several different practices and beliefs known to each group, ethnic, race and geographical places. So, nothing wrong in talking about religion and tribe. Moreover, there are strict rules in Islam. Muslim Men are treated like gods while the women are expected to bow down. What other part of the world does a woman get beaten to death, buried alive, shamed for committing adultery while the man is somewhere chilling or watch her get beat. What other part of the world is it justified for a young girl to get married off to an older man. What other part of the world, religion are women FORCED to live their lives based on men not their own choice. I can go on but let’s be real and stop being fake.

• ekalor

September 13, 2017 at 5:51 pm

the danger of a single story.

• anonymous

September 14, 2017 at 10:59 am

You must be a Muslim to know all of this. Or do your muslim friends complain to you that they are being beat? Or do you actually personally know anyone being beaten for being a muslim wife? Or are you just basing this off what you read online? Pray, tell.

• anonymous

September 14, 2017 at 11:01 am

Do you even know if she was verbally and emotionally abusing him too? Just because the guy has decided to be the matured one, y’all have decided to dump the blame on him. Or maybe, just because he is a muslim, then he must be the guilty one. Free your mind people

• Purple

September 15, 2017 at 10:59 am

Linda Linda Linda!!! this is not a religion or a race thing dear and you know it. Our nigerian men are here being abusive with no consequence and you may even be one of the victims. Am amazed at how every conversation is focused on the religion and what not when we are all supposed to come together and kick these issues in the nut. Its the media’s fault though because instead of just saying someone raped a little girl they will report it as a pastor, an aboki from the north as if where you come from of who you worship makes it better. Go and help yourself (and your obvious ignorance) and study on all these religions before you come back here and comment. We all need to start thinking like humans and let go off of all this hatred so that our children can catch a break from this life..

8. Janet siddon biko!!!

September 13, 2017 at 5:37 pm

She cashed out with millions of dollars… I think she is getting wrong advice from greedy people. After that cash out, she should shut the F up!!!!!!!!!
    For the sake of their child at least.

9. Fatimah

September 14, 2017 at 6:54 am

Please note there was no anywhere in the article mentioned he has hit her.

• Purple

September 15, 2017 at 11:00 am

!!!!!!!

10. Theresa Doghor

September 18, 2017 at 2:11 pm

She wasn’t living on American soil, I bet he beat s**t out of her. It is part of the agreement that she can’t say anything about what happened in the marriage.

Don’t do muslim men, full stop. None muslim men are bad enough with their addiction to culture as a tool of oppression

Let me do like that OAP, but this is not a feminist rant!

11. "Changing Moniker"

September 20, 2017 at 2:35 pm

If you didn’t grow up as a muslim, don’t marry a muslim man.

12. Somto

September 23, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Abeg shift joor Janet. You knew exactly what you signed up for when you signed the prenup. $500m for 5yrs and you filed for divorce at 5yrs 2mths. So take your gold digger self with your $500m and raise your son with dignity and stop trashing his daddy. Not cool.