News

“Avoid divine curse like a plague” – Pastor Adeboye on Tithing | WATCH

BellaNaija.com

Pastor E.A. Adeboye

General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), E. A. Adeboye has, during a sermon waded into the issue of tithing sweeping the Nigerian social media space.

Adeboye, during his sermon, asked that people avoid curses from God and pay their tithes, Daily Post reports.

“Do not let anybody get you into trouble by attracting God’s curse to yourself, please pay your tithe,” he said.

Avoid divine curse like a plague, somebody showed me something on the internet on the question of paying tithe or not and the fellow said tithe is suppose to be used to buy alcohol and drink in the church.

Now you know who is talking. Even mad people don’t go to church to drink alcohol. No matter how crazy that fellow is, ask him to come to church and drink beer, he will tell you that he is not that crazy, because even in his madness, he knows that it is the house of God and he will refuse to do such thing. But this fellow said otherwise, that tithe ought to be used to drink alcohol.

I know who is talking and I do not want to worry myself about such person. But please do not let anybody get you into trouble by attracting God’s curse to yourself, please pay your tithe.

I have said it before and I will say it again and again, if your physical father curses you, it can be cancelled by your spiritual father, if your spiritual father curses you, it can be cancelled by the general overseer, if your general overseer curses you, you can fast and pray to your father in heaven, but if God curses you, where will you go?

Watch a portion of the sermon below:

1. Mohammad

November 6, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Liar-liar tiff-tiff. Nigerian men of God are drunk on power and want to stop us holding them accountable. No amount of intimidation will stop the tide. #ourmumudondo

• Busarni

November 6, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Hold your imams accountable ,,,

• Mohammad

November 7, 2017 at 12:51 am

Ode oshi. Whataboutery! I’m not a Muslim. You just reacted in the stereotypical Nigerian way of instead of considering the merits of the points being discussed, jump to attack a different target instead. And yes hold imams and any body else accountable too especially when they are cynically manipulating the populace into enriching themselves, ingratiating themselves with the oppressive and irresponsible governments we have, and at the same time offering us no reason to challenge bad governance; instead reassuring us to leave things to god, instead of challenging authority (because they know it will eventually and ultimately lead to their irrelevance.)

• nene+

November 7, 2017 at 9:16 am

For people who choose not to pay tithe, ask your self are you really richer than those who pay tithe?

Give and it shall be given unto you…..

• nene+

November 7, 2017 at 9:36 am

When you look at it, people who are patronizing these Freeze’s deceit do not pay tithes in reality.
      Giving is receiving, whether you give as a Christian or an atheist you will receive. Luke 3.38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

We have a good story of how Dangote gave up his space for Reverend Idahos’s guest to fly back to the oversea.

Christians do not be deceived, Muslims give,in Jadaism they give, Buddist give also. Please DO NOT be deceived by Freeze. My only admonition is give for the good course.

DO NOT sow in deceitful churches where pastors keep concubines, marry wives or uses your fund for abominable stuffs. If you do that you would have sown on the rock. Choose a good soil and sow for you will reap.
      Identify with men of God who do missionary in war-torn and dangerous areas. Who offer support to the needy etc etc

Christian be guided
      Men of God check thy-selves. Pick wisdom from Freeze anger and change for good.

• nene+

November 7, 2017 at 10:53 am

***Christian’s……Frezee’s anger…..

2. KB

November 6, 2017 at 3:58 pm

With all due respect, you – sir, are speaking nonsense. It is really interesting to see how these ‘men of god’ with an astonishing sense of self entitlement flounder and stutter when it comes to defending the one thing they use to enrich themselves. Absolute balderdash. Talmbout general overseer cancelling curse of spiritual father, Rada rada

3. me

November 6, 2017 at 4:05 pm

youre crazy

4. oruwan

November 6, 2017 at 4:26 pm

like really??? why didnt he quote the part in the bible that says “if you dont pay tithe God will curse you”? this is not ok! playing on the intelligence of weak minded people just because they come to you for spiritual guidance is so wrong.

• Jade edo babe

November 6, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Naija pastors na original 419,ponzi scheme the church is their customers. I’m not God, but the kin thunder wey go strike them one day eh for twisting the word of God for their own benefit. Does he even read the Bible talk less of quoting anything mschewww bcos if he does, he won’t spew out such rubbish.
      Why tithing Dey scratch their ears this much. Na only mumu people still Take these pastors serious o.
      That’s how one true prophetess see vision say I no pay my tithe. That in order for God’s blessing to fall on me, I need to start giving this amount. What I give has to come from my heart not based on what some pastor says.
      I will rather give to organizations who are actually out there helping the needy, poor Than pump money into a greedy, egoistic, selfish pastor.

5. Tutu

November 6, 2017 at 4:31 pm

What is this world turning to? “touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm’, you shouldn’t speak bad or insult religious leaders, leave God to judge them. Its not your place to hold them accountable. Who hired you?!? Spiritual things sound like foolishness to natural men so I don’t blame you.

I tithe! Tithing is not a scam! If God blesses you with 100% and asks for the first 10%, how is that bad? But you can take half of your salary and spend on alcohol and olosho. All over the bible we see God asking for the first and the best. The church has needs and bills. How do you think these are paid? Manna from heaven? Rent, Salaries, Honorariums for guest ministers, Special programs directed at winning more souls?

Sit down there and keep running your mouths….

• A Real Nigerian

November 6, 2017 at 6:33 pm

The whole point of your comment relies on the premise that these are truly men of God and I fail to see how arrogant, pretentious fraudsters like Adobeoye and that other thief whom Living Fath members worship are actually men of God.
      They pander to politicians and high ranking officials just so they can have a taste of stolen wealth.
      They exclusively preach the gospel of prosperity and paint the picture that it is abominable to be poor. No to mention actively discriminating members of their own church who are not well to do instead of supporting them.
      They are insecure and lack humility. Always aggressive and launching poorly constructed rebuttals at anyone who dares to stand against them.
      Do you even go to their shurches? On Sundays, it’s just a bunch of empty people showing off their pretty dresses and fine cars. They just come to show off. Doing all they can, up to and including looting of public funds, just to oppress their fellow insecure church goers and reminding everyone that they rank high on the social ladder. No solemnity whatsoever and of course, their pastors love and encourage this.
      So, who anointed them? The God that you claim you are serving? If you believe this is the case, you don’t know anything about the principles of Christianity and Jesus. But I mean how would you know? All you worms who attend these big churches would rather spam pictures of your so-called General Overseers everywhere and label them “Daddy this” and “Baba that” essentially making these people of questionable character your gods. No regard for the Bible, just to repeat stupid mottos and catchphrases that they think will work miracles “WAH WAH 2017: The Year of Unending Prosperity”. Idiots.
      You must be yet another willfully ignorant and hypocritical Nigerian ready to practice false religion because she is a liar, a coward and a conformist.

And to answer your question: The world is turning into a place where we will no longer tolerate the lies of the clowns, charlatan and criminals you call pastors nor the stupidity of the bird-brained followers.

BN POST MY COMMENT.

• Ajala & Foodie

November 7, 2017 at 1:38 am

@ Tutu, I do not believe in insulting anyone. This however has nothing to do with an individual’s job title or position. I just strongly believe that resorting to insults because an individual states an opposing view is not right. I am also a Christian that is neither for tithing nor is for those against tithing. I am not here to argue about that, my love for God motivates my giving, not a curse or a blessing. How, what or where I choose to give is something left to me and God Himself. All I have is given to me by Him anyway, I am only a steward or a vessel, arguing percentage is not my thing.

What I however take an issue with, is people that use your argument to back their position. My first issue is the constant and continuous misappropriation of the Bible passage you quoted above, ” Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm”. You really think it is people that are called pastors alone that are God’s anointed, so why then do we (esp Pentecostals) pray for the anointing? Why bother? If you believe only your pastor is called to possess that? Secondly, the Bible states ” We are a chosen generation, a ROYAL PRIESTHOOD….” So we are not just all prophets but Royal ones. That I disagree with another priesthood does not change that.

I have also never gotten why people get the scriptural backing that ANY man is above being held accountable by other humans. There is no Biblical backing for these, lest anyone use Saul and David has an example ( that’s the example I get a lot). That David did not kill Saul did not mean he did not call me out, in fact there are many instances that he did just that and even cried out to Saul asking how he had wronged him, even Jonathan (Saul son called his father out). There are however many passages in the scripture that speaks to holding each other accountable. That does not exempt anyone on earth, that includes your pastors. You can google scriptures on accountability. That you did not employ your boss at work does not mean he/she is not accountable, even to you. for example, like in the case of sexual harassment. Even safety issues. Several companies now ask that subordinates rate their managers performance and give feedback.

It is arguments like this that make many non Christians believe that Christianity requires one leaving their intellect at the door of religion, whereas the opposite is the case. God gave us our brains and expects us to use them at all times.

• Grace

November 7, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Don’t be deceived please read the whole Psalm 105 and see for urself, me and you as a child of God are the anointed ones we are God’s priesthood, we are in this world as Jesus is. I am not condemning anyone but rather point out somethings, you will never know the difference if you do not taste two things. Go to a white man church with a help note the next day you will be amazed what the church can do for you but not in nigeria, as big as the camp groud, is there any free canteen where you can get atleast free breakfast or you want to tell me that this organisation can not provide that? We give offering in white churches too but we can see the impact of the work in the life of people. God called us salt and light of the world but our impact is nowhere in our nation. Is it too much for churches in nigeria to have free schools, hospitals or even establishments to ease the unemployment in our nation? But no we buy jets while people surfer under our noses, Acts. 4:31-35. Yes paying tithe is rewarding but who is benefiting from it. Please just ask your pastor to explain Deut.14: 22-28 to you. God bless.

• Seriously (HOLD YOUR PASTOR ACCOUNTABLE)

November 7, 2017 at 6:25 pm

@Tutu sigh
      You are part of the problem. That distorted mindset which has also caused Nigerians to be so gullible, dogmatic to the point of being foolish about religion and authority. Just like oh respect your elders, which has translated into even when these elders are blatantly wrong, we don’t say anything. Thats the problem we see now. With the failed government, leadership in the country etc The same God has given us ability to think, reason, judge one another. He didn’t create robots but human beings. The same Bible also talks about judgement and accountability. You sound like one of those people who will only pick out Psalms to describe the Bible but leave those important crucial parts out. God is Love but this same God is a judge. We the body of Christ ought to call out false doctrine and prophets.

And “men of God” have used tithing to deceive, exploit so many of their followers. Why does this pastor have to distort and instill fear in his message. Tithing is a new marketing business now. If you give tithe but your heart is as wicked and dark as anything, your giving won’t bring salvation.
      The truth is, you should give but let it be out of wisdom and your own volition.
      I go to a predominantly white church sometimes and I’ve not heard the pastor bang ones’ head about tithe and offering. But the congregation know what’s up and give generously. In fact, many give more than the 10%. And this church give out free Bibles to anyone who needs it, snacks before church starts, keep the church updated on their missionaries and charity work and the finances of the church.
      But some churches preach about tithe to enrich their pockets
      And these people have no clue the finances of the church. Touch not the anointed while he’s expanding his bank account, and feeding into his material lust while most of the church members are living in extreme poverty.

6. Oke eso

November 6, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Why is every Pentecostal pastor panicking over this debate championed by Daddy Freeze ? Because they know in their hearts that he is telling the Truth.

• Anonymous

November 6, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Panicking indeed. Because there is something you can do to them. Or about what they choose to do with the tithes and offering Shior!!!

7. Tessa Doghor

November 6, 2017 at 4:47 pm

I fear God.
    I fear His word
    Instead of talking of things I don’t understand, I will mind my business.

Let’s give honour to whom honour is due
    If you won’t insult an agbero on the street who can only kill your body
    Don’t be bold to insult a man of God because you think his God is sleeping…

Be warned!

• A Real Nigerian

November 6, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Shut up abeg. Coward.

• E

November 6, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Damn!! What fear has done to the people.

• bey

November 6, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Will you keep kwayet there -!!!!!!!

• Nono

November 7, 2017 at 4:01 am

@ real Nigerian, you are the biggest “COWARD”!

• Anonymous

November 7, 2017 at 5:11 am

And how exactly do you know he is a man of God? Because the pastor said so? Or God revealed this to you?. Also, who says a man of God cannot be questioned? Is that what the bible told you? Learn to worship God and not man!!!

• Mo

November 7, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Along which minding your business and fearing curses, why don’t you try and understand m. Read your Bible, study the place of tithes in the OT in the face of instructions on christian giving in the NT. Study to show yourself approved, if you’re a Christian, why leave spiritual things up to what you hear from the pulpit without confirming what you hear with what the Bible says?

By the way, all children of God are men of God. When the Bible said touch not my anointed, it refers to all the redeemed not just one man or Pastor. Nevertheless, I agree with you, there is no reason to insult a leader of the church – whether Pastor Adeboye is wrong or right he deserves our respect. People who are well-trained by parents who are mere mortals won’t be caught dead insulting an elder not to talk of those trained by the Holy Spirit.

8. Tessa Doghor

November 6, 2017 at 4:48 pm

I fear God.
    I fear His word
    Instead of talking of things I don’t understand, I will mind my business.

When a don makes a threat on the street, even the people who say they are not afraid of the don/street robber or agbero, they keep quiet in fear

Let’s give honour to whom honour is due

If you won’t insult an agbero on the street who can only kill your body
    Don’t be bold to insult a man of God because you think his God is sleeping…

• Sakura

November 6, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Read the word Tessa, perfect love casts out fear,There is no fear or enslavement
      In Christ. Do not confuse our Nigerian culture with Christianity. Anyone who puts fear in you is suspect. Datisall.

9. Gee bee

November 6, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Please back it up with scriptures sir where it’s made mandatory to pay tithes

• anonymous

November 8, 2017 at 9:47 am

even to serve God is not by force. it is not mandatory to do anything for God. we are free moral agents and how we choose to use our freedom is up to us. however when these eyes close and open in another realm let us be prepared to live with the consequences of our choices. its your choice to pay tithe or not pay tithe. why this tithe thing is gathering momentum i have no idea. what is the big deal about giving money to God? if one pays his tithe honestly to God he will surely reap his blessings. if a greedy pastor decides to help himself to it and rob God it will in no way affect my reward. instead of bickering on the internet do a practical challenge (for those who tithe that is) stop paying it for the next three months then document the outcome and come back to us with practical results. the people jumping on the freeze wagon i am sure are those who do not pay tithe in the first place.

10. Uc

November 6, 2017 at 5:09 pm

D kind of fear religion places on people…….. curse curse curse. Like we are ifa worshipers.
    No body has seen this GOD not even moses sef…..Well what do I know

11. Sharon

November 6, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Wow!!!
    I am no fan of freeze. Never liked freeze or his petty antics, but at least freeze makes arguments and uses the bible to come to his conclusions. I am surprised that a whole general overseer, a man of God that we all look up to would respond to freeze without supporting his argument with the scripture but instead use fear and manipulation tactics to force people into towing a certain line by telling them that he can cancel a curse but that if he , the general overseer curses a person they have to go and fast and pray. Is this scriptural? The bible says that you should love your enemies…..the bible says bless and do not curse.

The other day a lady preacher arrogantly talked down to housewives in the most condescending manner, describing them as ‘colossal failures’ if they are unable to loan their husbands a million Naira and there were a host of people online defending her. A bishop in this country slapped a defenseless young girl in the presence of his congregation and because she is probably of lowly estate he did it without remorse and people still defended him. It’s disturbing to me that many people worship these men and women of God and they Will take whatever these so called men and women of God say above the word of GOD himself. Even Paul who took endless beatings and died for the gospel praised a church in the New Testament for not just swallowing everything he said hook line and sinker but going back and searching the scriptures to verify for themselves.

Why such a harsh reaction when it comes to money matters? Could it be because these men and women of God love money so much?. In the New Testament Jesus spoke more times about the love of money than he did about tithe. Jesus warned several times about the love of money and I am beginning to see that the responses from these men of God are motivated by a love for money and the fact that their idol – money is being threatened.

I don’t believe that tithing is a New Testament commandment and I don’t believe that we are allowed to pick And choose what we want to still practice from the old testament in this day and age. Why insist on the tithing and leave out sacrificing bulls and livestock to atone for sins?. Why ignore the parts in the New Testament where it says that the church members brought all their resources together and shared them equally so that there was none among them that lacked? Tithing in the Old Testament times was never even money, It was food. So why insist on money today? Why insist on monthly tithing instead of the New Testament injunction that encourages giving generously, willfully and cheerfully? If we are going by what the New Testament says about giving it should really be even more than ten percent if the person giving feels led. Why then is this not more appealing to these greedy men of God? Is it because they want a certainty in terms of what they will get monthly? Is it because they don’t want to have to exercise the same faith they are asking you to exercise when they have needs?

If nothing good comes out of this whole thing freeze started at least let it be said that we read the scriptures ourselves and we’re not afraid to ask the right questions.

12. tunmi

November 6, 2017 at 5:31 pm

tf?

13. Sakura

November 6, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Oga, God does not curse because He is Love, He is Light, He is the giver of everything good and perfect. Please continue your rubbish doctrine, we are all ears.

• Harmony

November 7, 2017 at 8:55 am

How many times have we used these same words to deceive ourselves? God is love, no doubt! But He is also the terrible one and the consuming fire(Hebrews 12:27-28). He maketh alive and bringeth down to the grave(1Samuel 2:6) We think it’s only witches and wizards, demons and co that see the other side of God? There’s a way we can continue in sin and grieve God so much that He shows us the other side of Himself. Take Ananias and Sapphira for example, it was the same God who is love that killed them( Acts 5:1-11). We continue in sin and be like “God is Love”, we’ve so made God ordinary in our hearts. He is the Lord of hosts, meaning He can use anyone, any spirit, demon and even the devil himself to do His will. We make Him out to be what suits us- God is love. Hmmm, it’s time we start seeing/knowing who He is and what He can do.

14. Me

November 6, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Give to God what is God’s, and give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar — Tithing is a choice but it is time pastors stop using fear to disable the people. Before the influx of Pentecostal churches, our elders attended church, they were not enslaved to the fear of tithing and yet they were very blessed and experienced miracles…

Stop the fear mongering and mental manipulation of the masses, pastors.

• Anonymous

November 6, 2017 at 6:49 pm

If fear was behind people’s decision to tithe pray tell why the fear of hell fire and eternal damnation has not convinved most to embrace Christianity. Remember the key word here is fear so dont go digressing.
      People who consistently give their money to the church have moved beyond fear. They have either ecperienced the blessings that come with it or they are fully convinced it is part of their worship to the God they have chosen to serve. Note the use of the word consistent please.
      So why is it so difficult for haters to hug a transformer!!! Rubbish

15. Baba

November 6, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Deut 14 vs 26….Dear Pastor,is this not in the bible?

We don’t want curses…we need understanding.

16. seriously

November 6, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Most of these pastors are full of s#it. They fear, worship Satan than God. Can they preach about other things than money and marriage? Tithing won’t take anyone to heaven neither will it make anyone closer to God.
    One of the most important commandment is, love your neighbors. Nigeria is a very religious country yet the most wicked, evil, hateful environment. Something is wrong with the picture.

17. OJ

November 6, 2017 at 6:13 pm

The white man brought Christianity to us hundreds of years ago, hundreds of years later they dont carry it the way we are carrying it, and they are by far 100 times economically ahead of us…are they cursed? or we are the one cursed?? Strange thing these pastors love travelling there but cant encourage their members to try replicate how it has worked for them

• Tony

November 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Very well said. Africans have become increasingly stupid letting people manipulate them on all things related to money. See how people are trying to play God wrongfully inflicting fear on others. God didn’t create humans to be in panic mode. Africans pray and cast every second yet the continent is the most backward. People are lazy and blame unknown forces for their negligence and stupidity. Gateway to riches is now by opening churches, we carry Bible daily but no love instead back bite, manipulate, fornicate, steal, cheat and the lists is long. Churches don’t preach community building, self empowerment, accountability and continuous process improvement. I see naive people who fail to be led by the Holy spirit to understand God’s word but rather worship pastors coming hear to defend sweet nothing.

18. Sharon

November 6, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Bellanaija pls post my comment

19. Anonymous

November 6, 2017 at 7:03 pm

I have never been one to comment online. I read and keep my comments to myself. Somehow I cant help commenting. As a student there were certain committed and dedicated members of a campus fellowship who were quite zealous and gave excessively from their stipends as students. Wether out of fear or not I do not know. But a few months ago I hooked up with an old school mate. And we caught up on gist about the others. Every single one of those guys is extremely successful. They came from rather humble backgrounds before people start postulating theories about their success story.

Some of those who did not give out of fear are still job hunting despite graduating with fantastic grades.

I am only talking about what I have observed from my tiny part of the world. The only thing those guys had in common was their obsession with serving God even as students.

So tithe if you like and dont tithe if you dont like. Believe whatever makes you happy and let others practice what they believe. That’s such an easy thing to do aint it!

• Baba

November 6, 2017 at 7:21 pm

There are too many successful athiest on the better side of the world. Religion preaches discipline and hardwork,which possibly helped,not tithe.I know poor people that have never missed tithes and they are still poor!!!

• Dust

November 6, 2017 at 8:09 pm

success and poverty are both mental and psychological issues…
      Money is a piece of paper, paper is gotten from trees…
      The Creators made trees to give out clean air to the creation.
      In other words, giving out pieces of trees (money) to a person (man of “god”) to please the Creators is pure foolishness.

the Creators cannot ask for worldly things that they created..

we were all giving brains to learn things about the world and not adopt anyone’s information.

there is no rich or poor person.. Everything has been provided…

• Manny

November 6, 2017 at 9:24 pm

I’m glad you called it your tiny part of the world.

• Tony

November 6, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I don’t know if Bill Gates and Zuckerberg are what they are due to tithes. Please I don’t see the correlation. God is not biased and I don’t know if getting a job automatically means better life. While we need work to sustain we tend to forget that each person has a transformation. Some may take long but when they do it’s fulfilling. Africa is a continent with shouts of amen yet the poorest. Let’s evaluate and change for the better.

• eniola

November 7, 2017 at 2:09 am

Lolol this comment is rather hilarious, your conclusion as to the reason why the other people did not get jobs implies that God is rather vindictive and retaliatory which is certainly not true. I have a couple points to counter your comment:

1) Did you stop to consider that there are several other factors that could have influenced them getting jobs (not applying to jobs, poor interviewing skills, been too picky)? Hasty generalizations such as this shows that a lot of people still lack critical thinking.

2) We must look at giving in light of the new testament and not the old covenant. In the old testament, bringing a portion of your belongings was the law but in the new testament, sacrificial and cheerful giving was encouraged. Please reference the widows mite.

3) I haven’t watched Pastor Adeboye’s video but from what I have read the emphasis on people not tithing is not connected to sin against God or giving as an act of worship but like every Nigerian pastor he connects it back to “if you give, God will bless you” and “curses”. Unfortunately, this is the reason why most people serve God. A lot of Christians cannot answer the question what if God does not bless me materially? Giving is an act of worship and not for God to bless us with material things. We give because we deeply love and worship God and not because we want him to bless or we fear curses.

I pray God opens the eyes of our hearts

20. miss_nk

November 6, 2017 at 7:21 pm

So he can cancel curses? That’s new

21. nene

November 6, 2017 at 7:40 pm

every pastor in nigeria has decided to tackle tithing. my pastor says he’s going to talk about it for the next two weeks..no church for me till further notice. fyi, i pay my tithe.

22. Anonymous

November 6, 2017 at 7:52 pm

@ Mr Baba Nigeria is a first class case study where loads of hardworking and disciplined people are extremely poor. Please dont pay tithe and leave those that believe to pay their own na!!

23. LemmeRant

November 6, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Someone listening to him now will think Christianity is full of curses.

How many people did Jesus curse on his mission to save the world?

24. Anonymous

November 6, 2017 at 8:10 pm

All these members of association of solicitors and advocates for tithers. Abelejayan pipus. How many tithers have come crying to you for deliverance from tithing. Busy bodies! Amebos!! Chooking mouth in something that is absolutely none of your business. I can take my money to the club or casino or church. Try not to overdose on panadol extra on my behalf!!!

25. Loki

November 6, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Okay Africa, enough is enough. Time to step out of darkness. Receive your deliverance NOW! Or maybe not… Gather around dear Congregation while I preach a message.
    Fact 1: I’m a Christian
    Fact 2: I’m a faithful tithe payer
    However, I don’t pay tithe because “God will curse me if I dont”. I don’t pay it either because I’m trying to “purchase” a blessing from God. I pay a tithe of my income simply because I believe that all I have comes from God and giving a minor percentage of my income back to my Dad (God) as He has requested is simply good manners. It’s all about a personal relationship and understanding. This is My own relationship.
    Nigerians, the time has come that we Christians learn how to crack open the Bible and learn about God for ourselves. This isn’t the dark ages when only the clergy had access go Scripture and you could even be executed for possessing a Bible. Read and gain understanding for yourself. God does not deal with His Children through threats and fear. He’s not sitting in Heaven waiting for you to commit an infraction so He can send thunder and lightning to you. You’re mixing Him up with Sango…or Ifa (or Thor if you prefer the aje butterised gods).
    Paying a tithe out of fear or compulsion shall profit you nothing. Don’t love money enough to make giving a bone of contention in your life. But don’t let anyone SCARE you into emptying your purse either. God desires mercy, not sacrifice.
    TL;DR: Know God for yourself. Then do what He tells you.

26. Andrew

November 6, 2017 at 8:56 pm

AdebOLE

27. Engoz

November 6, 2017 at 9:00 pm

As a Christian, I understand the church has to pay bills and we are to help each other in the church that’s why I set a certain amount from my income for the church. It was a personal decision between me and my God. I do not call it tithe though.

Why? there is no way I can argue for tithe paying after I actually read my Bible five years ago. I read Deuteronomy and Leviticus to understand the genesis of tithing. I then read Hebrews, Galatians and all the letters of Paul. There is no supporting evidence to conclude that Christians must pay tithe or that you are under a curse if you don’t.

Do Christians realize tithing is one of the laws of Moses? Paul was against those who wanted to still practice the law and Christianity together. The circumcision debate was the highlight for the early church concerning mixing the two practices.

Galatians 3:10 says for all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written ‘cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the book of law.

So it’s not actually those who don’t pay tithe that are cursed, it’s those who think picking what part of the law they want to obey are the ones that are cursed. Case in point, proponents of tithing.

If you want to abide by the laws of Moses, go ahead, but you must complete the remaining 612 of them. James 2:10, Galatians 5:3.

The law was given to last only until the coming of Jesus Christ Galatians 3:19.

We are now justified and blessed by faith, not by works. Galatians 3:11,23-25

Nevertheless, As Christians we are encouraged to give willingly and cheerfully.

• Opraah

November 7, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Girrrrrrrlllll!!! You better preach!!!

28. Anonymous

November 6, 2017 at 9:12 pm

AndWERE

29. Manny

November 6, 2017 at 9:27 pm

There are blessings in tithing but we are not cursed for not tithing. Never!!!

• LolaB

November 7, 2017 at 5:39 am

There is a curse. Malachi 4 vs 9 says so. Should we adopt portions of thr bible we like and jettison others?

• LolaB

November 7, 2017 at 5:41 am

There is a curse. Malachi 3 vs 9 says so. Should we adopt portions of the bible we like and jettison others

• Manny

November 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm

LolaB, have you ever come across this verse of the bible? – Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”—Gal 3:13
      It saddens me that a lot of people claim to be followers of Jesus but they don’t even know the import of his sacrificial death.
      If you knew the meaning of the statement that you are the righteousness of God through Jesus Christ, you wouldn’t worry yourself over curses from tithing. The funny thing is that this would actually encourage you to give sacrificially (willingly and cheerfully), even more than a mere 10%.

30. Fake jew

November 6, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Why are people arguing about an old Jewish cultural practice? We are Naija nau. The religion and the practice were imported into this land. Let’s use our brain to develop our land instead of wasting time on Semitic monotheistic religious controversy.

31. Brendaalfred

November 6, 2017 at 11:56 pm

U guys are talking about tithe, d worst is d
    January first fruit where no matter how much u earn , u must bring d entire package to d church & go empty handed till Fenruary salary. Some pastors have started preaching about it . As for my tithe, I stopped a while ago but I split it for d poor widows, orphans & d less privileged instead of pouring a drop of water into an ocean, when there are people who can’t afford a meal a day. Some of these churches have welfare dept, but people assigned to distribute stuffs end up playing politics with it thereby depriving d beneficiaries of getting whatever. At d end of service, u see people begging for transport fare &
    stuff , so I try to reach out to them thru tithing..Not doubting anybody but that’s my decision.

• Anonymous

November 7, 2017 at 5:49 am

You must not. Giving is optional. Even going to church to hear the tithing and first fruit is optional. Duh!

32. Frida

November 7, 2017 at 12:11 am

From some comments here it is obvious that a lot of Christians pay tithes because they believe God will reward them financially. This is so sad. Is that why you go to church? For prosperity? Isn’t the main reason for being a Christian all about salvation and holiness?

Pls Christians, read the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy. According to the Bible, tithes are paid every 3 years or so.. And the major beneficiaries are the tithe givers themselves, widows, poor and the priests (levites) who have no land of their own.
    Pastors should explain this monthly tithe collection and back it up with scripture. (not just Malachi… Malachi says you should pay your tithes but does not explain what a tithe means.. Deuteronomy and Leviticus explain what tithes mean in Jewish law)

Furthermore, Jesus Christ never mentioned tithes… He focused more on the POOR…he was all about the poor…

I’m all for giving generously to the church and to the poor, to help missions and the spread of the gospel and not because I’m bound to OR out of fear of a curse OR because I believe God will enrich me because of it.

• S&S

November 7, 2017 at 2:02 am

God bless and increase you Frida, you comfort me that God has indeed reserved 7000 that have not bowed down to Baal (in this case the God of money

• happyhilly

November 7, 2017 at 8:05 am

This is excellent. The ‘bestest’ comment.

• Mz_Danielz

November 7, 2017 at 8:37 am

This is a lie.

Jesus said, ‘you pay your tithe, you do well……’ and then went on to talk about other weightier things like love and doing good.

To the poor, the gospel is preached.

Christians are expected to do the ffg:

– pay 10% of their earnings to God in the church they worship. It’s God’s money so no you can’t give it to the poor.

– Give to the poor and less privileged

– Give to our parents

– Give voluntary offerings.

Christianity is a way of life with rules. You won’t ask Ifa what he does with the sacrifices brought to his house and yet you ask what is done with tithes.

God is merciful because he is great but he is the head of all principalities, a powerful God who can kill and make alive. We all like to think of God as that loving and merciful father which he is but he is a consuming fire also. The same God who made heaven made hell. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of God.

• Frida

November 7, 2017 at 11:41 am

Mz Danielz,

I challenge you today! Quote one Scripture where Jesus christ himself explicitly said we must pay our tithes.

Mathew 23:23 he admnoished the pharisees for paying tithes but being unjust and unrighteousness.

In several passages of the Bible, Jesus said we should sell everything we had and give to the POOR.

So what does the new testament teach Christians about hiving to the church?

Mark 12:41 – the Widows mite. Jesus preaches using the example of the widow who gave a generous heartfelt offering to God.
      1 Corinthians 16:2 – on the first day of the week (sunday), christians are advised to give what they can afford. (Offerings in church)

2 Corinthians 9:5-8: Paul stresses the importance of Christians giving what they can afford out of the generosity of their hearts and not out of compulsion.

Conclusion.

*Tithing is not compulsory.
      *Tithing in the old testament is done ONCE a year or once in 3 years
      *According to the new testament, Christians are advised to give generously and cheerfully to God what they can truly afford and not any fixed percentage.

Jesus Christ NEVER mentioned that Christians must pay tithes.

• Manny

November 7, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Mz_Danielz, you make that classic mistake of reading out of context. Was Jesus addressing his FOLLOWERS with that verse? Nope, he was talking to people under the law! He was addressing the Pharisees and actually pointing out the errors of their way.
      It’s like reading a verse where a thief says “it is good to steal” and then you go around stealing while justifying it with “it is written in the bible that it is good to steal”. Context context context!

33. POLYCARP IHEJIRIKA

November 7, 2017 at 2:04 am

TITHES AND OFFERINGS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH: RIGHT AND WRONG TEACHINGS

1. INTRODUCTION
    Most modern preachers tend to emphasize miracles more than the Miracle worker, gifts more than the Giver of life, prosperity more than righteousness, church attendance more than holiness, noise more than meditation, signs and wonders more than the fruit of the spirit, tithes and offerings more than feeding the poor and building projects more than missionary work. We rarely, if ever, hear these pastors preach passionately about Christ crucified (1 Cor 1:23) in the same manner that they solicit for money.

KEY POINT: The Lord God desires our soul (life) and not our resources.
    Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the law), then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second (Heb 10:8-9).

Being born again means becoming a child of God and a steward of God’s Kingdom. As stewards, we have to know the mind of the Lord on matters affecting our very existence. And His mind is clearly enunciated in His word.

The primary responsibility of a steward is to husband the life God has deposited in her–run the race without wavering in the prescribed manner until she meets God in glory.
    Part of that race is to use the talents, time and resources God has given her in accordance with the will of God…And the way to knowing God’s will is through radical (total) obedience.

Jeremiah had prophesied that in the new covenant, God would write His laws in His children’s hearts. Knowing this, a steward, with the aid of the Holy Spirit, must examine the old covenant practices and doctrines through the prism of the new covenant or he would be led astray. In addition to being the Seal of our salvation, the Holy Spirit is the Teacher of God’s word. It is impossible to live a victorious Christian life without His guidance (Heb. 8:10-11).
    We shall examine the subject of tithes and offerings using God’s word. For me and my house, God’s word supersedes every other teaching on the subject.

My prayer is that the Lord God will use the above subject matter to open our eyes of understanding so that we may situate the subject matter within the context of Christ’s finished work at Calvary. The most important work for Christians on earth is the presentation of the salvation message (Christ crucified for our sins) to a dying world in words and in deeds, i.e., letting our changed lives have an impact on the society.

2. TITHES AND OFFERINGS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT (OT)
    CONTEXT:

The laws on tithes and offerings were part of the covenant between God and Israel. No one has the right to teach others to obey only one out of the laws in that covenant and to discount the rest. God’s covenant with Israel was holistic, the people did not have the option to pick and choose. Disobedience in one meant the loss of favor with God, and there were severe consequences.

Tithes: a tenth of the first fruits and livestock.
    Offerings (peace, burnt, sin, trespass, free will, etc).

2.1. TITHING BEFORE THE LAW WERE FREEWILL OFFERINGS]

“Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything” (Gen 14:20-24 NIV).Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, “so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God.”And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all that You give me, I will surely give a tenth to You” (Gen 28:20-22).

2.2 OFFERINGS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

In addition to the commanded offerings (peace, sin, trespass, etc.) in the OT, there were also freewill offerings.

Materials for the construction of the Tabernacle: “All whose hearts were stirred and whose spirits were moved came and brought their sacred offerings to the LORD. They brought all the materials needed for the Tabernacle, for the performance of its rituals, and for the sacred garments” (Exod 35:21 NLT).

Offerings for the construction of the second temple: “When they arrived at the Temple of the LORD in Jerusalem, some of the family leaders made voluntary offerings toward the rebuilding of God’s Temple on its original site,” (Ezra 2:68 NLT).

3. LAW OF THE TITHES

(i) Tithes for the Levites: “Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting” (Num 18:21).

(ii) Tithes for the Benefit of the Congregation: “You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year.”And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always.”But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you, “then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses. “And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household. “You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you” (Deut 14:22-27).

(iii) Tithes for the Benefit of the Stranger, the Widow, the Fatherless and the Levite:”At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates.”And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do” (Deut.14:28-29).

As we can see from the above Scriptures, tithes were for the Levites (who had no inheritance in Israel unlike our pastors who still their own houses), the Israelites to eat and rejoice in the presence of the Lord, and for the poor.

4. OFFERINGS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT (NT)

(i) The Early Church: “Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need” (Acts 4:34-35).

(ii) The First Christian Council: This council defined what the gentile Christians would be held accountable for: “Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”–to whom we gave no such commandment…For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well” (Acts 15:24-29).

(iii) The Heart of giving: “But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver” (2Cor 9:6-8).

(iv) Paul’s Life and Ministry: Paul’s life is both a challenge and a model for all ministers (General Overseers, Bishops, Pastors, Teachers, etc.) of the gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
    “I have coveted no one’s silver or gold or apparel. “Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me. “I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive’” (Acts 20:33-35).

DOCTRINES OF HUMAN BEINGS
    In no place have God’s commands been more mutilated by the leaders of the Pentecostal and Evangelical churches as in the area of wealth (tithes, offerings, sowing a seed to get money and or promotion, etc). God’s commands have been replaced by a panoply of teachings that take away God’s grace and love. Before and during the Lord’s first advent, it was the Pharisees and the Scribes (religious leaders) who were teaching the doctrines of human beings. Any surprise then that before the Lord’s second advent, many church leaders (general overseers, bishops, pastors, and elders) are either teaching the commandments of human beings or have embraced aspects of them or have kept quiet even though their consciences continue to prick them that they should speak up.

The Lord’s warning is as germane then as now:
    “Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men’” (Matt 15:7-9).

Before the 15th century, it was the sale of indulgences to obtain eternal salvation. Is there really any difference between the teaching on indulgences and the teaching on “tithes and offerings” by churches and denominations? Blessings (more wealth, health, promotions, children, etc) for those who faithfully deliver 10% of their monthly income and obviously little or no blessings for those who fail to pay up. Is this erroneous teaching linking the payment of tithes by faithful “tithers” and the giving of large offerings by rich donors to increased wealth here on earth not subliminally linking their payments to their inheritance of eternal life?

I want to believe that those who started this doctrine and their latter day acolytes had good intentions. But good intentions are not enough. They have led many astray. If we excuse them, should you and I still be excused knowing what we know now?

Is it any wonder that young men and women, rather than get a good education and acquire skills that would enable them to feed themselves and their families, jump into ministry. For many, being a pastor or founder of a ministry is the key to wealth. Would that have been the case if tithes and offerings had not replaced Christ and the cross? How many young people would really have gone into ministry if they knew that they would have to fend for themselves and their families just like Brother Paul?

Putting new wine in an old wineskin has not had a very salutary effect on the Body of Christ. Christ had warned us of the consequences.
    It is difficult to apprehend God’s word when one is in God’s service for things other than following the Lord. Balaam, who loved the wages of sin, is a good example.

You cannot serve God and mammon. The apostles determined that their business was to pray and minister the word. They left serving the table (which includes such administrative duties as collecting and sharing offerings to the needy) to selected persons.

The involvement of presidents, founders, and pastors of churches in the management of finances calls into question their sincerity.

CONTEXT OF MALACHI 3:10-11
    Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the LORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,” Says the LORD of hosts (Mal 3:10-11).

How often and how loud have we heard those verses of the Scripture from the pulpits? How many have felt obliged to pay tithes and give heftily for one church project or the other in the mistaken belief that God would be ‘angry’ with them if they defaulted? Many are convinced that they will inherit eternal life because they have been tithing faithfully and giving very generously even though they do not have a good testimony. It is a sad testimony of how the rot has eaten so deep that a Bible-believing-practicing Christian would be giving and paying tithes because she wants God to pay her back a hundredfold. How much did God repay those early Christians who gave their lives rather than accept the mutilation of the gospel? Had the early Church had the 21st century Christianity mindset, there would have been no Christianity today.

The early adherents of the gospel of Christ faced persecutions wherever they went. Many died in the Roman Coliseum; they sang even as they were being torn apart by beasts while the Roman pagans jeered at them. The courage of those saints inspired others. And that’s how the gospel spread rapidly. Those men and women torn apart by beasts did not pay tithes. They paid with their lives because they knew that they belonged 100% to Jesus. I am persuaded that the Lord Jesus Christ stood, just like He did when Stephen was being martyred, as each of them gave their lives for the sake of the gospel.

How many times has your pastor given the context of Malachi’s warning?

Malachi was a prophet of God in the time of Nehemiah. “His message of judgment was to a people plagued by corrupt priests, wicked practices, and a false sense of security in their privileged relationship with God.”

Malachi was pleading with the people to return to the covenant God had with Israel. The message in Malachi is about corrupt leadership and false teaching that has led the people to profane the Lord’s altar; the priests were even sacrificing items the Law specifically said were unfit.

“A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If I am a father, where is the honor due me? If I am a master, where is the respect due me?” says the LORD Almighty. “It is you, O priests, who show contempt for my name. “But you ask, ‘How have we shown contempt for your name?’ “You place defiled food on my altar. “But you ask, ‘How have we defiled you?’ “By saying that the LORD’s table is contemptible. When you bring blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice crippled or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?” says the LORD Almighty (Mal 1:6-8 NIV).

GOD WANTS ALL OF YOU–YOUR LIFE (SOUL), TIME, RESOURCES AND TALENTS.

Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matt 11:29-30)
    We are God’s children, purchased with the blood of His Son. Are we not really cheating God when all we are happy to give Him is 10% of our earnings? What happens to the other 90%?
    What happens to 100% of our life (soul, spirit, and body) that He had paid for? What happens to 100% of our talents and time?

Those who believe that tithing (giving God only 10% of their earnings and keeping 90% for themselves) is for the New Testament Church are really cheating God. They can’t have it any other way.

And to those pastors and elders who insist on this erroneous practice, I plead with you to hear Brother Paul’s admonition:

Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood (Acts 20:28).

THE WISE WAY TO INVEST IN GOD’S KINGDOM

Many of us are guilty of writing cheques and feeling satisfied that we have done the Master’s bidding. This is far from the truth. We have a responsibility to ensure that the resources God has committed to our care are utilized wisely. We must be involved in the management of our investment through active participation in evangelism and mission-related activities.
    We must not be the reason for the fall of an otherwise humble brother or sister because we committed resources in his or her care that could make him or her lose his or her vision and calling.

There must be safeguards and controls in all ministries and churches to ensure proper accounting and management of resources. The onus rests on all the members of those ministries and churches. We are all priests and kings before God unlike in the old dispensation where there was the high priest, priests, Levites and then the congregation.
    and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen (Rev 1:5-6).

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? CHALLENGES FOR THE 21ST CENTURY CHURCH
    Abraham paid a tenth of the spoils of war of his own free will. Jacob’s tenth was a freewill vow. The Law institutionalized tithing for the maintenance of the Levites who had no inheritance in Israel, the poor in the land and for the enjoyment of the people that paid the tithe. The Law of the Tithe was part of Israel’s covenant with God.
    Before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith that would afterward be revealed. Therefore the Law is the tutor to bring us to Christ that we might be justified by faith (Galatians 3:23-26).

We became sons of God by faith in Christ’s finished works at Calvary. Believers are priests under the high priesthood of the Lord Jesus Christ. We are not part of the covenant between God and Israel. We are part of the new covenant in Christ Jesus. Our Christian walk must continue by that same faith if we are not to lose focus and make a shipwreck of our testimony.
    Whoever insists that you must pay tithes does not know the Scriptures. If you decide you have to, then you should also keep the whole law (this includes the sacrifice of animals and the sprinkling of blood) that is intrinsic in God’s covenant with Israel.
    Because those who are led by the Spirit are the children of God, the believer must seek the Lord’s face in all things including “giving”–what, how whom and when to give.
    God is interested in our growth from carnality into spirituality and this can only be achieved by a total surrender of our total being (life, time, talents, and resources) to God, not just 10% only of our income.

In effect, the spiritual man knows he has been purchased by God through the sacrifice of His Son at Calvary. Therefore all he is and has belonged to God 100%. A faithful steward must do his master’s bidding at all times. This means that the steward must protect all the master’s investment–chief of which is his soul–and must invest all the resources his Master has committed to his care very wisely.

Blessings

• XO

November 7, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Jesus! this whole paragraph on top tithe and offering? lol.

who else got intimidated?

• Truth

November 7, 2017 at 2:19 pm

This was long, but well worth the read. Thank you for simply presenting your information based on scripture.

I think you should submit this as a blog post to bellanaija so it doesn’t get lost in the comments. More people need to see this.

This blessed me. Thank you

• Biker Chic

November 7, 2017 at 3:21 pm

@Polycarp Oginni??? Unfortunately, nobody will read this book you just wrote. This is the comments section – we expect comments to be short, smart and concise.

• Blessedheart

November 7, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Just to mention that the Levites didn’t have inheritance but they did have houses and land for farming. The remaining tribes of Israel were instructed to donate certain towns to the Levites. I believe that full time pastors may be likened to Levites as they do not have other sources of income – they have donated their lives to the church but they have families which should be taken care of by the church

• E

November 7, 2017 at 4:47 pm

This is a brilliant post. It is well worth taking your time to read it.

• Manny

November 7, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Thank you Mr Polycarp. Well worth the 10 mins I spent reading this!!!

• Ephi

November 7, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Polycarp, well spoken! To those complaining, it is definitely worth reading. Infact, it should be a post on its own as there are so many salient points in there.

Again, Polycarp thanks for sharing.

34. Anonymous

November 7, 2017 at 5:23 am

I think Pastors have come to believe that Nigerians are gaullible and generally dumb, that’s why each street has two churches on average all lobbying for tithes. 1) if a pastor believes in tithes, he should back up the belief with scriptures and not just words 2) TRANSPARENCY – why can’t the pastor tell the church weekly what tithe has been collected and how the tithe was spent?? The usual argument is that it is up to the pastor to spend tithe on whatever he wants and face God on judgement day..smh. How many people do the church train in school for free? How many youths are empowered through the church to learn a skill or trade? If all the thousands of churches in Nigerian Practised charity which begins at home, the lives of the church members would be far better off. I do not believe that questioning the words or vision of a pastor will bestow curses from God, God gave his people intellect as we are created in his image, i am not a sheep that follows blindly, after all the coza pastor is sleeping with his church workers and he is not cursed by God, rather the church defends him as being ‘a human being prone to error’ while he struts around in Versace ensemble demanding and collecting tithes….just negodu!!!

35. THE MUMMY

November 7, 2017 at 7:48 am

@frida, i wish i could like your comment more once, i would have liked it one million times.

36. I_I

November 7, 2017 at 8:51 am

1. People obviously do not read their bibles, that’s why they keep getting deceived by ‘Men of God’. This is not about leading people away from christ, its about letting people know the truth as WRITTEN in the Bible. The Bible clearly states in Deuteronomy 14: 23 – 28 that you are meant to feast on your tithe (i.e spend it on whatever you like – a new bag, a mercedes e.t.c), but in the thrid year, give it to the Levites ( the priests, the widows, , poor people basically). Hence you are only meant to give tithe to the church once in 3 years, and even then, its not exclusive to the church, but rather to also be shared to the needy amongst you.

2. For some strange reason, I’ve had several encounters with ‘Pastors’ in the past few years, and I noticed that their weapon of choice is fear. They almost never tell you good things would come to you without hindrance, but must always insert a clause that puts fear in your heart, and keeps you dependent on them for revelations and spiritual fortification. As someone who grew up seeing these ‘pastors’ extort a close family member to ruin, I never paid them any heed, but instead just prayed to my father in heaven. Guess what – zilch happened! To see Mr Adeboye trying the same tactic by ascribing himself a place on the hierarchy of placing curses, and avoiding giving a proper lecture on tithing is very disappointing, and tells me all I need to know about his integrity as a person.

37. Harmony

November 7, 2017 at 8:58 am

Please people, let us make our comments without insulting anybody. We will all grow old one day, how happy will you be if a younger person insults you?

• larz

November 7, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Are insults acceptable only when it is committed to peers or young ones?

38. slaga

November 7, 2017 at 9:42 am

from your logic , give tithe to receive…so in order words you are bribing God? can’t you just open your BIBLE and read the verses to educate yourself? white men are scarcely religious and don’t pay tithe and own 99% of wealth. In Africa we are extraordinarily religious and pay tithe yet economically backward. Free yourself from mental slavery.

39. Harmony

November 7, 2017 at 10:03 am

If U like pay your tithe, if you like don’t pay, God will still be God and his servants will never starve. Oh, you people think it’s your money/tithe that sustains these men of God? Think again. If God can say if we refuse to praise him, he’ll raise up stones in our place, how much more will he do if we don’t give our tithes and offerings. And by the way, what we give is not for the pastor’s welfare alone. These offerings/tithes go into welfare, charities, programmes etc in the church.
    @a real nigerian, pls do your research well, because if you did, you’ll discover that the Man You’re insulting doesn’t talk much on prosperity. Rather he talks about holiness and leaving right for God. The insults here are too much, let us leave judgement for God, we all will see everything and the rewards of people on the last day (believe it or not, it will come). We want change, start with the Man in the mirror. If we insult people, elders, even younger ones like this, what will our children learn from us?

• Grace

November 7, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I will not agree with people insulting others even if it’s your mate or younger ones, but I will say no one is too big to be corrected. People are going astray and misled by this odd doctrines. If no one is speaking out how do we correct it. 1Con.14:29

40. IJS

November 7, 2017 at 5:29 pm

The foundation for godly wealth is hard work, giving (call it tithe or whatever) but at a level where you feel like it cost you something, wisdom and pleasing God. I honestly believe that you CANNOT have this combination in your life and be poor. It has worked for me. There are people who withhold 100% and are still lacking. I don’t know a person that gives, works hard and remains poor.

41. MamaD

November 8, 2017 at 2:37 am

While Nigerians are about that woke life, a pastor told/instructed his members to pay tithe on cars they buy and houses they build. Just imagine that.
    I ask the member who is Family, so after paying your tithe and saving from what is left, you purchase a car or building, you again pay the tithe of the car or house? I have asked them to show me where it is in the Bible but no body is showing me. They believe their pastor sooooo much.

Please house, help me find sense in this. I’m done arguing with them. I just they look them like mumu.

42. Can we all do this?

November 8, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Can we all do one thing?

Do whatever pleases you! If you like, pay tithes, if you don;t like, don’t pay
    Even in the bible, we have choices

Choose ye this day whom ye shall serve–if you like, choose to worship money, material things, world or God…it is your choice

Pastor Adeboye was teaching his followers/congregation, who chose to go to church, not you here. You don’t have to listen to him

All i know is that the bible is being fulfilled already–Will i meet faith on earth when i return? I doubt it. Right in the church, priests and pastors have concubines not to talk of outside the church where girls easily date married men, have plenty bfs, have sex with strangers in the club, guys with multiple partners, married men/women involved in extra marital eish, divorce here and there, everyone stealing and embezzling with little or no fear, people going to church after having sex with another man/woman’s partner…NO FEAR OF GOD ANY LONGER!

i understand that many people would love to pay tithes but economy, lack, poverty, too many needs is not even allowing them do. This is different from those who dont even have any God factor in them. No morning prayers, no evening prayers, no midweek service, infact no sunday service; everyday is lived as it comes. We keep chasing money, success, satisfaction, fulfilment, degrees and yet we dont have anything!

We are responsible for our lives and our actions!
    As you came to this world with no one, so also shall you die with no one
    No one will be judged with you or be responsible for your misdeeds
    Do as you please

43. Harmony

November 8, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Jude 1:18 They said this to you: ‘In the last times, some people will think that God and God’s rules are not important. They will say that it is silly to obey God. They will not want to obey him. Instead, they will do whatever bad things they want to do.’

Jude 1:10 But these men speak bad words against anything that they do not understand. They are like animals that cannot think. They do the things that their nature causes them to do. And those are the things that destroy them.

Jude 1:

44. Harmony

November 8, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.