News

Banker allegedly tortures Wife to Death in front of Son

BellaNaija.com

Banker Adejo allegedly tortures Wife to Death in front of Son - BellaNaija

Olaoluwa Adejo, a bank staff, has reportedly been arrested by the Lagos State Police over the death of his wife, Maureen, Punch reports.

Adejo had allegedly hacked Maureen with a machete, before forcing her to ingest otapiapia (insecticide) in their home in Oworonshoki, their 5-year old son said. He told Punch:

I am (name withheld). I am five years old. My daddy beat my mummy with a belt; machete her here (shows arms), machete her here (shows legs). He used the belt on her here (points at face); forced my mummy to drink otapiapia (insecticide). My daddy took my mummy away.

My daddy said my mummy should get out of the house. My mummy said no. In the night, my daddy woke my mummy up and said, ‘Mosquito is too much, let me go and buy otapiapia’. My daddy forced my mummy to drink it. She shook her head. She vomited.

My daddy slapped my mummy. My mummy did not do anything to him. My daddy gave her one blow. My daddy kicked her. My daddy told her to get out of the house and carry her load. Small blood came out. My daddy slapped her, kicked her, machete her, blow her, and put otapiapia in her mouth and in the food.

Maureen’s mother, Kate Jonathan, revealed to Punch that her daughter had moved out of her matrimonial home and into hers, and had decided to move back in to attend her children’s school party. She said:

I was called on the telephone by an unknown number around 4pm on Sunday, November 12. The caller said, ‘Your daughter’s husband has killed her at Oworo’. He dropped the call.

Around 5pm when I got to their house, I discovered that the house was locked up. There were two boys guarding the house and they refused to open the door to me, saying the owner of the house instructed them not to open the door.

I didn’t see my daughter or her husband. I was begging them to open the door when I saw (Maureen’s son) jumping up through the window. He saw me and asked the boys to open the door, but they refused.

I broke the louvers of the window. The boy climbed a stool and said from inside, ‘my father has killed my mother and taken her away.

She added that the after reporting the case at the Oworonshoki Police Station, she was told the husband had already reported that his wife had committed suicide by drinking the insecticide Sniper.

Maureen’s body, already deposited at Gbagada General Hospital mortuary by Adejo, was ordered to be removed by the police to the morgue of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital.

Adejo was reinvited by the police and then arrested, based on the account Jonathan gave. He was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, and their son was invited on the insistence of Jonathan, to give an account of what took place in their home the night his mother died.

Jonathan told Punch that Maureen’s body, which she saw at the mortuary, had deep cuts on the arms and legs. She said:

My daughter, who worked as the manager of my chemical company had, about a week to the incident, complained that her husband said we would soon see her obituary.

I sent my eldest daughter to accompany her to the house to know what happened. The man begged and said he was only joking. He said he really loved his wife. I insisted that she pack out of the house.

She was in my house for three days before she said she wanted to return home because her children’s school would be having a cultural party. She left and went to the party with her husband on Saturday. It was that night that she was brutalised and killed by the husband. From what we saw in the mortuary, she had blood in her nostrils and deep cuts in her hands and legs.

Adejo’s mother, Florence Adejo, said she believed her daughter-in-law committed suicide, as reported by her son. She said:

He came to knock on the door of my house late that night. He fell on the ground and started weeping and lamenting that his wife had destroyed him. A crowd gathered in front of the house where I am the landlady. They tried to console him. He said his wife took Sniper. He said he thought it was a joke until their son, Richard, went to bring the container of the insecticide.

She was taken to a private hospital where she was initially rejected before she was taken to the general hospital where she died. I was told her mother sells the insecticide and she brought it home for mosquitoes. Why she decided to drink it is what is beyond my understanding. My son said they didn’t have any disagreement between them and she was not mentally ill.

The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, said that the police isn’t accepting the case of suicide “hook, line and sinker,” and is furthering investigations. He said:

The man came to report that his wife committed suicide. The DPO put some questions to him. We thought we should investigate further to know what really happened because there are some doubts we need to clear in the matter. The police is not accepting the claim of suicide hook, line, and sinker. The matter is at the SCIID and investigations are ongoing.

Photo Via: Punch

1. Cmbo

November 28, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Felt like i was reading a script for a horror movie. This marriage of a thing is scary. Leave to Live! You can’t change a monster! Sounds like an episode of IDX.

2. Tessa Doghor

November 28, 2017 at 12:26 pm

So the son can’t be believed?

3. Ephi

November 28, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Sad. Particularly for that child having to witness and narrate this at age 5!
    What’s going on these days? Why are spouses killing each other?
    Life has no duplicate – be safe.

4. Nakoms

November 28, 2017 at 12:32 pm

BN must it always be man vs woman. Boooooring!!!!!!!!

• Uche

November 28, 2017 at 12:40 pm

And should BN make up the story to soothe your taste?

• Bb

November 28, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Are you insane? They are reporting on current news! Please grow up you sound like a child.

• seriously

November 28, 2017 at 1:06 pm

You are nuts. This is a murder case, it’s no longer men vs women anymore, vice versa it’s a case of the evil in the world. Just few weeks ago, a wife stabbed her husband to death. I mean, is this where humanity is heading to. If a marriage is not working, why kill the other person. Just let it go and call it a day. At this point, in as much as I hate divorce. I will prefer the divorce rate to go high to murder, and domestic violence rates.

5. bodunade

November 28, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Is marriage outdated?

The child is 5, I remember my 5yr/old sibling dreaming up wicked allegations against me and getting me spanked.

The death should be investigated properly, we have a forensic lab, it should be put to use.
    Married folks, its always one thing or another, abuse, violence , neglect , money etc I tire o.

6. bruno

November 28, 2017 at 12:46 pm

the female lawyer from ibadan who killed her husband was sentenced to only 7 years in prison. bellanaija why not post that since ur blog has turned into man vs. woman

• anon

November 28, 2017 at 1:56 pm

didn’t BN post everything about the Hausa woman who killed her husband? Even about Naya Riviera who most may not know. How are we pretending that violence against women is not prevalent in NIGERIA for goodness sake !! No matter what you want to say it is the most dominant form of oppression and male abuse can never match female abuse whether sexual or physical. Even most of men’s abusers are other men and that is the truth. Is it not on blogs like this that women ask for advice because they are too scared to confront cheating husbands? When we start discussing women’s experiences of men it becomes ‘gender wars’ yet all the years of men singing about goldiggers even when their mother was the breadwinner, beating wives, normalising adultery, placing the male child above the female child, blaming women for infertility etc, it wasn’t gender wars abi? I pity you because the people who support lgbtq Nigerians the most are women, especially the feminists. I would know. But come here and join heterosexual men to bash women o. As if it’s women that haunt gay men down and treat them like wild animals.

• elizade

November 28, 2017 at 2:46 pm

You and John should just carry your two left legs carrying pot bellied selves and comot from this site abeg. Do you have to be so insensitive? A woman has died and you can can think about is gender fight.

• Dee A

November 28, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Petty much Bruno!!

• Weezy

November 28, 2017 at 5:48 pm

A lot of Nigerian gay men are misogynistic. Bruno is just one example. Don’t be deceived. Just because someone cracks jokes does not mean they are in your corner. Bruno is just as bad as Chief and John.

7. LemmeRant

November 28, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Hang the nigga.

8. John

November 28, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Maybe it was self defence…maybe the man caught the wife trying to stab him to death and in the heat of the moment kills her…poor man…women are scum

• elizade

November 28, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Eeeya….what a dry attempt at humor

• John

November 28, 2017 at 5:14 pm

@elizade ..do I look like I am here to entertain the likes of you..piss off..take it or leave it…the poor man is the victim..he was provoked by a deranged, manipulative woman who unfortunately met her waterloo…simple

9. Loki

November 28, 2017 at 2:21 pm

The anarchy continues….

10. Rossy petite

November 28, 2017 at 3:03 pm

@ John i was not surprised at your comment. i was honestly waiting for someone like you to drop such horrible lines here….he premeditated her killing otherwise how can you explain the punching, the forced application of poison on the victim and machete cuts..all these for self defence? why didnt he even call the wife’s family members first or even the police before rushing her to the mortuary? you may want to argue that the story of the young son is unbelievable but see my 5 year old niece can give you vivid explanation of events beyond your imagination, provided she saw it with her eyes. so don’t underrate these young kids.

Domestic violence is real.. my friend told me her sister confided in her that her husband beat her up, pinned her down and used an object to hit her repeatedly on her eye. she couldn’t go out for over a month. He even threatened that he will kill her and nothing will happen. She warned my friend to keep it as secret but revealed all the properties she has and their location plus where to get all title documents in case something happens to her. she is actually the bread winner in her matrimonial home. Now their only daughter has started exhibiting acts of violence against other children when they play together. she says things like..”I will kill you” “i will shoot you and nobody will know”
    Guys please warn your siblings to stay away from violent spouse so they can live, its really getting out of hand as it is. May God help us.

• Loki

November 28, 2017 at 3:27 pm

You really shouldn’t have responded to John’s asinine comment. He was actively looking for someone to respond to him. Even he doesn’t believe the nonsense he just said. This is his troll mode.

• Wow

November 29, 2017 at 1:07 am

Please don’t feed the trolls. Please. If you’re a regular BN commentor/reader, then you know John. Don’t feed the trolls… Thank you.

11. olajumoke

November 28, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Men are turning into beasts nowadays… Is it by force to stay married??? Kilode gan na??? we are in the end times already people…

12. adelegirl

November 28, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Poor child that had to witness such horror. He is not likely to forget what he saw unless he deliberately tries to block it out – which may be unhealthy for him. Going by the child’s account, the man is a monster. He even locked his son in the house and left after killing his wife.

I wish he had not gone back for the children’s cultural day – why was it so important to stay over in the house to attend that event? Why didn’t she just show up the morning of the event?

So many questions… Hope Justice is served.