Music

Going solo “could be a blessing in disguise” – Mr P

BellaNaija.com

"I'm doing my best to settle with the family but they are not ready" - Mr P interviews with Inspiration FM

Peter Okoye, a.k.a Mr P, sat for an interview with Inspiration 92.3 FM to discuss going solo.

Mr P sat through the lunch hour, telling his story of why one of our favorite Nigerian group P Square is no more, and what he’s doing to move forward.

Mr P also fielded phone calls from fans who wished him well in his new journey.

Explaining to his fans, Mr P said he’s telling the story so that people will know what happened.

He said that more important than the business side of things is the family, and singing together is breaking their relationship, which he doesn’t want.

He added that he’s done with doing business (i.e music) with his family, adding that going solo could be a blessing in disguise.

Some other points he made:

• It’s not about us singing together that really matters because that’s what you guys know, but think about family
  • This could be a blessing in disguise.
  • I’m not trying to break the family or make anyone look bad. I don’t hate anybody and I’m not trying to make my brothers feel bad.
  • I wish everybody the best. Everybody is doing well now, let’s just keep it that way.
  • I came out to sing alone to show people I can sing because if I hadn’t done so people will keep thinking otherwise.
  • My mother, if she was alive, would have said we should remain together but not do music (business) together.
  • I’m doing my best to settle with my family but they (family) are not ready. However, for the business aspect, I’m done.

Mr P also revealed he wrote the lyrics to remix of “Bizzy Body.” A fan sang the line: “Peter and Paul dem be one no be two” when he said he actually wrote the song.

Asked why he still uses the name P Square, he answered that it is impossible to tell his story without mentioning the story. He said: “I’m still using P Square on my social media because you can’t talk about my story without mentioning P Square.”

He also said he can perform any of P Square’s songs on stage since he contributed to making them, adding that his brother (Paul) can do so as well.

1. Demola

November 22, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Peter, don’t you think you have milked this story enough? When will you actually move on? You have succeeded in villifying your brothers and gaining the public sympathy. And the weird thing is that Jude does not talk about you or your family, neither does Paul (apart from the Instagram posts where he was talking about juju and what not., which he never should have put up IMO)
    They want to destroy your family…, You want to make up with them but they are not ready etc etc. and bla bla

I have been on the sidelines watching this craziness going on in your family . People that don’t think deep will be swayed with your sob stories. But Peter, I see you as a manipulative person who is so insecure in his talents that he feels the only way he will have loyal fans is making Paul out to be the “bad” twin currying the favour of the fans. The funny thing is that you are actually talented enough to have a successful solo career without all these gimmicks.

If you succeed in painting your brother bad and making people not to like him or support his music, how will he feed his nuclear family, your niece and nephews?
    You remind me of those friends or siblings that will bite you and be fanning the bite site at the same time.

Peter, move on and stop damaging your brothers reputation. The sky is actually big enough for you, Paul, and Jude to be successful without doing music together. Leave their names out of your mouth. These sob stories will only take you so far.
    I wish you, Paul, and Jude success, if for nothing else, for the sake of those kids that you all have.
    ps. seriously, if you were my bro, with all these interviews you have been granting, I wouldn’t have anything to do with you either. I swear.

• Frida

November 22, 2017 at 11:56 pm

My Sentiments exactly! Thank you Demola!

If you follow them on social media, it seems Peter is fixated on his brothers while they seem to ignore him totally. They’re not granting interviews.. They’re not saying anything… Which is actually the best way to let this matter die… But Peter seems fixated with fanning the embers.

Jude who’s supposed to be Paul’s manager is not even promoting Paul’s new singles…probably not to incur the wrath of social media judges who have called him all sorts of names.

Peter! You are talented! You can make it as a solo artist without all this drama! Quit all the whining and mudslinging and get down to business. We’re sick and tired of this issue.

Sigh!

• Leah

November 23, 2017 at 2:28 am

Thank you! This guy is as owfull as it gets. I have never seen anyone work so had to destroy anyone let alone their own blood like this one has.

• Fleur

November 23, 2017 at 5:28 am

You ave time. As you can see bella naijans done flick hair waka comot.

• Jomowale

November 24, 2017 at 9:24 am

THE NON-SINGING BROTHER’ they shud have open one spare – part shop for him’ – shudnt be in the picture!

2. John

November 23, 2017 at 12:01 am

Peter is just an attention seeker and trouble maker….
    .I use to think that lola is the problem but I am starting to think she married an equally manipulative, sly, dude who will one day put her in trouble..if care is not taken ….they actually deserve each other…..love the way paul and jude just dey ignore him…

on a side note ..nkenji keke by rudeboy is my fav song right now…keep it up

3. Nk

November 23, 2017 at 3:57 am

Please take it easy on Peter, I think he is confused right now but will one day realize that he has been the fool all along! How can a sane person be going about slandering his fresh and blood!! Twin for that matter!! This is definitely not ordinary!!!

4. Chinny

November 23, 2017 at 5:33 am

@Demola, manipulative? Wow. strong words!. if you don’t know them personally, you can only assume. We all only assume and we may be all wrong. I think Peter is actually the vulnerable one. He seems to be an extrovert… all gra gra but a soft heart within.. Extros are not good at keeping things bottled up in their hearts, they must let it out. They seem to talk much but its a personality thing. Paul seems to be the introverted one, which is also a good personality, but different. I am an intro, I know how we do..lol

I must confess I am Peter’s fan, always have been. I love his energy and forte. I also love that God has a sense of humor – usually twins are opposite in talents and personality, which is great. But unfortunately, people always compare them on everything – from who is taller, more brilliant to strengths and achievements- and this usually follow them all their lives. And could lead to one twin feeling intimidated at different points and so on. Musically, I think Peter is actually more R&B plus dance inclined, while Paul is more Afro pop&highlife inclined, which is why I think their solo projects is a good thing. (And partly why they broke up)

That said, these guys have made mega money, which is why they feel they don;t need psquare anymore. This whole Rudeboy and Mr P thingy is all in retirement or midlife crisis. Everybody wanna be a boss and feel like boss. Which is also ok. I think they should try and feature each other or something. Like, do business separate if you want, but show us that the brotherhood is still there. E-hugs to Peter and PAul.. You’ll be fine someday.

5. bubu

November 23, 2017 at 7:29 am

Mr P’s PR team should cool it down jo. too much of anything is not good abeg. we are still trying to adjust to the break up and the mediocre music they both released biko. abeg this time and money being spent on PR can be spent on song writing and correct beat haba. if a preterm orphan can survive u can all survive independently. please give us good music . pllssssssssssssssssssss

6. Maxie

November 23, 2017 at 9:27 am

Okay Peter or Mr P we have heard! can you go back to making good music. You will like gossip i swear. The one that weak me was the one he even had to bring his kids up in an interview at his house. Do u think your brother doesnt get requests to grant interviews too. Its okay biko. Face your family and music, I think Paul has moved on.

7. Dame Marian

November 23, 2017 at 11:22 am

can’t this boy be quite for a moment ?