News

Gossip Girl’s Ed Westwick refutes actress Kristina Cohen’s Rape accusation

BellaNaija.com

"Gossip Girl"'s Ed Westwick accused of Rape by actress Kristina Cohen - BellaNaija

Ed Westwick (Photo by Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)

Actress Kristina Cohen in a lengthy post on her Facebook alleged that she was raped by Ed Westwick who played Chuck in hit TV show “Gossip Girl“.

Cohen described the alleged assault, which she said happened 3 years ago, in detail, saying she had gone to Westwick’s apartment with a producer she was dating at the time.

After the incident, she told the producer what happened and he’d put the blame on her, she said.

Cohen, who has featured in TV shows “Greek” and “Californication,” said she was inspired, in part, by the recent accounts emerging in the media of sexual assault and harassment by other Hollywood figures like Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey.

Ed Westwick has since refuted Cohen’s claim, writing on his Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts:

I do not know this woman. I have never forced myself in any manner, on any woman. I certainly have never committed rape.

Read Cohen’s full statement below:

The last month has been incredibly difficult. Like so many women I too have a story of sexual assault, and the outpouring of stories have been both triggering and emotionally exhausting. I’ve gone back and forth over and over again, unsure if I should speak up. If I could speak. And if so, will I be heard?

I was sexually assaulted three years ago. It was a dark time in my life. My mom was dying of cancer and I didn’t have the support system or time to process and deal with the aftermath of the rape. I buried my pain and guilt to make space for the onslaught that came after my mom’s death, just three months later.

Even now, I grapple with feelings of guilt. Unfounded worry that in some way I was to blame. I don’t know where these feelings come from. Social conditioning that everything is always the woman’s fault? That a man’s inability to keep himself off of our bodies is somehow because of us, not him?

I’ve grown considerably in the three years since my assault, so to revisit is painful. To dig in and relive this night in order to accurately share the events, feels like a continued violation. My stomach is in knots, scared as hell to share this publicly, as even fully reconciling with myself has been a tough process.

I was briefly dating a producer who was friends with the actor Ed Westwick. It was this producer who brought me up to Ed’s house where I met Ed for the first time. I wanted to leave when Ed suggested “we should all fuck”. But the producer didn’t want to make Ed feel awkward by leaving. Ed insisted we stay for dinner. I said I was tired and wanted to leave, trying to get out of what was already an uncomfortable situation. Ed suggested I nap in the guest bedroom. The producer said we would stay for just another 20 more minutes to smooth everything over, and then we could leave.

So I went and laid down in the guest room where I eventually fell asleep, I was woken up abruptly by Ed on top of me, his fingers entering my body. I told him to stop, but he was strong. I fought him off as hard as I could but he grabbed my face in his hands, shaking me, telling me he wanted to fuck me. I was paralyzed, terrified. I couldn’t speak, I could no longer move. He held me down and raped me.

It was a nightmare, and the days following weren’t any better.

The producer put the blame on me, telling me I was an active participant. Telling me that I can’t say anything because Ed will have people come after me, destroy me, and that I could forget about an acting career. Saying there’s no way I can go around saying Ed “raped” me and that I don’t want to be “that girl.”

And for the longest time, I believed him. I didn’t want to be “that girl”.

I now realize the ways in which these men in power prey on women, and how this tactic is used so frequently in our industry, and surely, in many others.

I’m sickened to see men like Ed respected in such a public way. Interviewed by prestigious platforms such as the Oxford Union Society at Oxford University, where he was honored as one of their “People who Shape our World.” How does this end? Men like Ed using fame and power to rape and intimidate but then continue through the world collecting accolades.

I hope my coming forward will help others to know that they are not alone, that they are not to blame, and it is not their fault. Just as the other women and men coming forward have helped me to realize the same. I hope that my stories and the stories of others help to reset and realign the toxic environments and power imbalances that have created these monsters.

Photo Credit: Jeff Spicer/Getty Images

1. Biker Chic

November 7, 2017 at 9:34 pm

While rape is vile, vile vile, some of these accusations sha. A man you were meeting for the first time said “Let us all f…” and you still went to lie down in the bedroom sotay, you fell asleep. Pls. while we say raise better boys/sons/men, let us not forget to raise even better girls with common sense.

• Hot Sumtyn

November 7, 2017 at 10:46 pm

You are an idiot

• Biker Chic

November 7, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Same as your Mama that did not teach you better. Go and call your Mama for me. Na me and her be mate.

• OJ

November 7, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Don’t mind , when they have knacking and the sex is not what they expected or power of guilt wants to overtake she will quickly switch to he raped me mode….go ask Mike Tyson how far

• Apostle of Feminism

November 8, 2017 at 5:37 am

Biker Chic, if you are a woman then know that the Nigerian Feminist Association (NIFA) is disappointed in your response. I think the fundamental problem here is that when you read your brain does not assimilate well. Now let me help you remember. The lady said NO. When a woman says NO, you have to respect that NO mean NO. She went ahead and slept in a different room but dog randy still took advantage of her. That is not fair game. If a woman says NO, it should not matter if she is sleeping beside you on the bed or in a guest room. MEN should know learn not to put their penises before their brain.
      NIFA will like to educate you. Join the NIFA movement, stand for women empowerment in Nigeria. You probably have a sister, protect her.

2. Mrs chidukane

November 7, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Its Bass, Chuck Bass.

3. bruno

November 7, 2017 at 10:22 pm

hollywood is full of rapists and pedophiles oginidi.

even if the girl removed her entire clothes and was walking around his house naked, he had no right to rape her. she said No and No means No.

he use to be so good looking in my eyes but after reading about this news he looks so filthy and ugly to me.

• Just Negodu

November 8, 2017 at 12:00 am

In this case I refuse to side with this girl. Let us be sensible too as women. The man made his intention known and you head straight to the bedroom?
      Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? I foresee some women using this sad situation to settle scores. There are rapists out there but this girl is f*****g stupid.

• A Real Nigerian

November 8, 2017 at 2:46 am

Are you a stupid person? Did you not see “guest room” in her story? Which one is “went straight to the bedroom” that you are saying? Why are you wording it differently to change the story?
      You claim to be a woman LMAO. I guess the principles of the Patriarchy and your own internalized misogyny have eaten deep into your brain and turned you into a zombie willing to defend rapists while at the same time attacking the victims. Pieces of s%# like you are the ones who enable and empower these predators.
      F%#@ you.

• OJ

November 8, 2017 at 7:03 am

Her willingly removing her cloths and going nude in his room is a direct invitation to treat already, so even if the guy Neva makes a move she’s already at a vantage position to molestation becos its just two of them thier….for further details go read about Joseph and portiphars wife

• CrazyWorld

November 8, 2017 at 9:44 am

Her anti-slut mechanism were up because he didn’t ask directly or he didn’t start with her so she said no even though she didn’t mean no (from the narratives). Ed should have stopped at that time and he would have gotten lucky eventually.

However my fellow men don’t learn. The narratives are sketchy but Ed should have stopped mehn. Most women I have been with always have that last minute resistance and say No. You stop immediately and take all your attention and focus to something else. Don’t even show you are moody or angry. Be excited about something else totally apart from her, if possible walk to another room sef and let her know you have settled there. You will get lucky 90% of the time eventually. What is wrong with all this men????????????????????

• Wendy

November 8, 2017 at 11:38 am

@Just Negodu: Her boyfriend was there!!! She left the dinner for the bedroom in annoyance. Also “let’s all fck” is not an indication that you’re about to be raped… especially since (and I repeat for emphasis) HER BOYFRIEND WAS THERE!!!
      How is this not clear to you guys. This woman was with a person she thought was her man… men, even the worst of them, usually have a sense of ownership… that in my opinion was what made her feel safe. Even as I read the story I didn’t see the rape coming… maybe an orgy that she unwilling took part in or was drugged to be in but definitely not straightup rape.

All of this to say that she might even be lying! but you rape apologists always attack the accuser to the point that regular folks have to defend them. Smh! You guys need a good dose of sense!

4. bruno

November 7, 2017 at 10:23 pm

bellanaija una don chop my comment. this is one of many reasons I stopped commenting on ur blog

5. Wendy

November 8, 2017 at 1:00 am

How on earth did all these lowlife commenters with no empathy for women or even the slightest sliver of critical thinking skills infiltrate BN?
    How talented are these mofos that you guys just choose to straight up bat for them?!
    How do you read such graphic details of assault and just go she’s doing it for attention IMMEDIATELY? I’m not saying agree with the accuser but at least shut up and wait till more details come out.
    I’m terrified for those of you up here going to raise sons… it’s just going to be another generation of rapists! I’m not even going to go into how damaged your daughters would be. To imagine that most of you are women too…. such a shame. Shame!

• A Real Nigerian

November 8, 2017 at 3:00 am

Nigerian women are cursed and lost. All they care about is answering to “Mrs”, showing off the stolen wealth gotten from their thieving husbands and sugar daddies and going out of their way to fight feminism.
      Decades of institutionalized misogyny and patriarchal ideals have turned Nigerian women into animals without any common sense or empathy.

• Jummy

November 8, 2017 at 2:15 pm

So I’m curious.

You have no issue with people calling him a rapist outrightly, But You do have an issue with someone calling her a liar?

• Wendy

November 8, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Jumm just shut your ignorant trap! Check this thread and tally how many people have actually come out to straight-up call him a rapist. Do the math and then we’ll continue the conversation.

6. Daniel

November 8, 2017 at 2:59 am

Suddenly all actresses with a bad career have been raped? Do you seriously believe this bull? This MeToo bull have made everyone stupid!

• Tony

November 8, 2017 at 5:33 pm

It’s such a shame that women have made themselves voluntarily vulnerable. Cry babies everywhere casting blames and pointing fingers not taking responsibility for their actions and future. I am glad I know many reasonable and practical women who do not walk around acting as if womanhood is a weakness all in the name of feminism. Many just choose to be sentimental without acknowledging that these accusations which have tripled in weeks could not all be true. Some women and men are busy ruining others careers via Facebook and Twitter and fish brains don’t even try to analyse facts. What a world we live in. Attention seekers all over. All men and women on this forum, teach ur sisters, daughters, sons and brothers how to defend themselves from any predator, teach them possible signs of sexual intrusion, and being able to speak out on suspicion. I know many kids who are taught what a bad touch is. All this castigating and pity parties helps no one. If you are victim of domestic violence pack and go before u die. No one receives salary for being Mr or Mrs Somebody. For sexual assault unless u are drugged or have a gun on ur head I don’t know what else to say.

7. HBT

November 8, 2017 at 7:00 am

From what I read, the producer was there all along like a devil mis-guiding her. He was meant to be her boyfriend but it all seem planned to me. This is US not Nigeria. People meet and F#£K within seconds however it must be concentual. Look closely at the producers part in the story.

” But the producer didn’t want to make Ed feel awkward by leaving. ” ,

“The producer said we would stay for just another 20 more minutes to smooth everything over, and then we could leave.”

AND FINALLY

“The producer put the blame on me, telling me I was an active participant. Telling me that I can’t say anything because Ed will have people come after me, destroy me, and that I could forget about an acting career. Saying there’s no way I can go around saying Ed “raped” me and that I don’t want to be “that girl.

Just curious why the producer was not named by her.

8. bubu

November 8, 2017 at 7:49 am

we cant say for sure what transpired. but the fair thing will be for her to name this ‘producer’ . or is producer the new names for ‘pimp’. if we are to follow what we read, the producer seems to have taken her there to pleasure the man. if we are naming and shamming the the ‘producer’ should be named too. bcos enablers are the ones who ensure this crazy things happen just like fences(i.e folks who buy stole goods) encourage theft

9. Evi

November 8, 2017 at 8:16 am

This is so sad! This guy straight up raped her. Her so called boyfriend/date was in on it the entire time. It was a setup. How can you take your girlfriend to a “friends” house and he says you all should have sex (in a vulgar way) and you guys didn’t leave immediately? It begs me to ask, what kind of friend are you keeping that will want to have sex with you and your girlfriend? And she went ahead to nap in his guest room, then he came to her later on. Those two guys probably slept with themselves before he went ahead to rape her. Mehn all these stories coming out of Hollywood today, just makes me love my own life more. That industry is full of people who are suffering and smiling in the name of, I want to be famous, or I want to be an actor. No be by force oh. Just flee, your dreams will be fulfilled another way, if not at least you know you left with your dignity in tact. She should had stood up immediately to leave! Why didn’t she name this so called producer? Before he puts other females in such dangerous situations. And him even coming out to say he doesn’t know her, just shows he is guilty. If he had said she is lying, that is not how it went down, then it would had been her words against his.

10. Really

November 8, 2017 at 8:16 am

Rape should not be condoned in any form, but at the same time stories on rape experience has to be very clear and not contorted so that people will not be blamed wrongly and destroyed for no just cause. So the lady here has systematically removed the name of the producer even when it seems this producer was part of the whole ordeal. And she said “I was briefly dating a producer who was friends with the actor Ed Westwick” ; what does it mean to date someone briefly, you guys go into the date with agreement that it would last for a specific time?.
    Ed suggested that you all should have a 3some and your producer briefly-dating partner just brushed it off and told you to wait a little and even go take a nap. Recklessness. I dont even know what happened, but you should name the producer since he encouraged you to keep quite even after the rape incident.
    He is an accomplice and need to be named so he can speak up and collaborate your story seeing that Ed is denying to have ever met you.

• Netizen

November 8, 2017 at 10:11 am

Guess what Really, when you’re being raped your mind is confused so your story can hardly be straightforward….Surprise!!! Would you like to experience it so you can really understand how your mind works during that period and try to tell the tale later. It is called trauma!! The words fuzzy, confused, incoherent, etc are synonymous with rape my dear. Gerrarrahere mehn!

BN, continue o. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has noticed that the number of your comments have dropped. You chased away intelligent people by not moderating comments from misfits like john & co. Now you are running to obstructing adverts to salvage the situation. Yeye! I know you won’t post my comment.

11. truth

November 8, 2017 at 10:05 am

While the issue of consent and rape shouldn’t be taking lightly, we as women should be mindful of what we do, we all go about shouting feminism without understanding the basis of what we are saying… Just because we are feminist doesn’t mean that we should jump on the bandwagon of anyone who cries wolf, we must wear our inspectors googles and try to dissect every part of a story before we pass judgment.

• Tony

November 8, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Very interesting perspective that many fail to analyse. Feminism is now just a trend without reason and this makes more women vulnerable cause they always see themselves as victims. Women are powerful. Protect urselves and stop the many tags and labels u put on. With the current trend no one wld take important subjects like this seriously.

12. truth

November 8, 2017 at 10:12 am

This issue of rape and sexual assault in hollywood has put a lot of people in a frenzy, everyone is a judge and jury, without even having the correct information… These cases have been reported to the police it is best we stop judging and watch how these investigations would turn out… Bella naija please update this post… there are more have surfaced like the name of the producer.

13. pheberry

November 8, 2017 at 11:03 am

Wow! I see everyone has gone ahead to scrutinize the details of the story without first asking whether its true or not. Did it ever even happen.
    I don’t support rape in ANY manner whatsoever but I’m getting worried that a simple allegation of rape can easily be used to destroy someone without affording any defense to the accused.
    In the end my advice goes to the Menfolk….LEARN. LEARN LEARN…and receive sense o.

• Jummy

November 8, 2017 at 2:12 pm

EXACTLY.

People like to be oblivious of the fact that there are women who cry “rape falsely, and are large in number.

14. Blue Butterfly

November 8, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Where was the producer when this happened?
    Doesn’t the producer have a name?
    It seems it was planned between the two men.
    But the fact that she hides the identity of the producer,makes me think she is protecting him or hiding something.
    There’s nothing like half truth.This story has so many loopholes and their are many questions waiting to be answered.

15. OJ

November 8, 2017 at 7:30 pm

BTW, who sleeps in a stranger’s house you’ve just met? you dont even know? what kind of adventure is that? if she had jejely left the house with the so called boyfriend, we wont be talking about this issue now…..but they all stay, hoping for some flings that would propel their careers to limelight
    As it stands, the only witness to whatever happened and if at all anything happened is the bf…..short term bf, as if she used him for purpose!!