News

#EndSARS still Trending as Atiku, Dankwambo, Adekunle Gold, Simi lend their Voices

BellaNaija.com

#EndSARS, a hashtag with which since Saturday morning Nigerians have been voicing injustice suffered at the hands of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) has gone viral.

Atiku Abubakar, governor of Gombe state Hassan Ibrahim Dankwambo and celebrities like Adekunle Gold, Simi, Seyi Law and YCee habe contributed to the discussion.

Atiku, sharing three tweets on his Twitter, wrote:

The arbitrary harassment of young Nigerians by Police (who should be protecting them) has no place in a democratic society. The #EndSARS protest shows Nigerian youth are upset and the matter needs urgent attention.

Everyday, we encourage our young people to become entrepreneurs. Buying a laptop to earn a living shouldn’t attract harassment.

I commend our young people for protesting these injustices peacefully online, and encourage the IG of @PoliceNG to take these complaints seriously. I also urge the National Assembly to look into these complaints, and address the human rights issues. Reforms are urgently needed.

Dankwambo wrote:

I wholeheartedly support Nigerians in the call for #EndSARS.

Those charged with the protection of Nigerian lives and property have now become the danger to those they are supposed to protect.

However, I believe that we need more reforms in the Nigeria Police.

The celebrities, on the other hand, shared their own experiences with SARS, Simi saying she had a gun pointed at her and her friends for laughing, and Seyi Law having his artisans arrested and SARS officers threatening to shoot at him.

Simi wrote:

People are not supposed to be afraid of the people that are supposed to be looking after us. A couple weeks ago, at almost midnight, my friends and I had a gun pointed at us for laughing. For laughing. #EndSARS #ActuallyTakeGunsAwayFromTriggerHappyPeopleWhoHideBehindTheUniform!

Their boss had to talk him down! Pointing a gun at 3 ladies because of your insecurities is incredibly frightening! Policemen need to be mentally evaluated and checked before being handed guns. And they need to be accountable!! Otherwise, they can get away with anything. #EndSARS

Seyi Law wrote:

Somebody sent me DM to learn my voice to the SARS menace. #EndSARS now. Hmmmm. If only they knew I had my own story. My life is more endangered than yours with them. My story …….

A painter and an AC repairer had come to work in my house and I gave them money to go and buy materials. I waited and they weren’t showing any sign of coming so I called, only to be told they had been held by SARS. I took my car and went to the place. #ENDSARS

I went back to the truck to speak with the arrested guys what their offence was and they said, they were on a bike and were stopped by SARS who told them they were riding pass a crime scene so they were suspects. Reallyyyy!!! #ENDSARS

See tweets from other celebrities and politicians:

Meanwhile, Nigerians are still sharing their experiences and their frustrations with SARS:

Meanwhile, the presidency is still yet to comment on the issue.

1. Lizzie

December 3, 2017 at 5:20 pm

SARS do no good in this country, young men are always watchful and fearful to move about. If you’ve got tattoos then your case is different if they catch you.

2. LemmeRant

December 3, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Buhari will only speak if the problem is happening in another country.

• Physio Tinu

December 3, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Must everything start and stop with Buhari? Who’s office is it to regulate and oversee the SARS? I think it’s ministry of Interior. Yes we know he’s the president but there are people who’s portfolio covers specific tasks. It’s time you and I start calling them out.
      Attn Senate committee on…?
      Attn: ministry of Interior
      Attn: …who else?…IGP?

• LemmeRant

December 4, 2017 at 8:34 am

Its obvious you just want to comment.

So you’re asking if everything must start and stop at the office of the no. 1 citizen of Nigeria. – lemme just stop here and let you figure why your point is silly.

Anyways a President commenting on foreign events should also maintain the same or higher level of concern on issues directly affecting his citizens. Its just common sense.

• tunmi

December 4, 2017 at 8:12 pm

@physio makes a good point. There are specific people whose job it is to address these specific issues.

3. Kkay

December 3, 2017 at 7:01 pm

PMB what are you waiting for? SARS means ‘ CORRUPTION and TERRORISM’ in the Nigerian Citizens’ Dictionary. SCRAP SARS NOW!

4. tunmi

December 3, 2017 at 7:02 pm

ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so so so so happy for this development. Keep going and please do not let up the pressure until something changes. And thank you Simi, YCEE, Adekunle, and the countless non-celebs who lent their voices.

5. mack

December 3, 2017 at 9:48 pm

it has become a very political discussion online #endsars is a very crucial issue and not a political campaign

6. Miss_Flygerian

December 4, 2017 at 1:11 am

The SARS office in Awkuzu, Anambra is a human slaughterhouse. If you’re taken there and not bailed within 24-48 hours, they will waste you and sell your organs to politicians and ritualists. They are the worst in the S/E. People are deathly afraid of them in Anambra. If anyone threatens you with SARS Awkuzu, just respect yourself. It’s a miracle worthy of thanksgiving if anyone who goes there makes it out of there alive and whole. Those guys are depraved.

7. Victor Adegoke

December 4, 2017 at 5:58 am

If only relevant agencies will act on this #EndSars issue.

8. unadite

December 4, 2017 at 6:19 am

Can you imagine a SARS official asking that people( cult boys. Yahoo boys etc) to contribute 1m naira as he needs it to mark his birthday? I was weak when I heard the story and even weaker to hear that the fund raising was successful in less than 1hr. There was also a case of a customers’ teenage sons who just relocated from south Africa and were running errands for their mum. They were apprehended by SARS men for being ” yahoo boys” and taken to their base. On getting there, they introduced the boys to the other team members as the cultists that killed a particular guy. These guys were beaten mercilessly for daring to proclaim their innocence. Their family parted with 120k to get them out.

9. SoniaPaloma

December 4, 2017 at 11:01 am

Just throw the whole of the SARS/Nigerian police away. Lets just start afresh

• Pikin

December 4, 2017 at 2:03 pm

As in ehn… empty the recycle bin too!