Connect with us

News

Nothing “scandalous or extraordinary” in inclusion of dead persons in appointees’ list – Presidency

NAN

Published

 on

Nothing "scandalous or extraordinary" in inclusion of dead person in list of appointments - Presidency

President Buhari

The Presidency says there is nothing “scandalous or extraordinary’’ in the inclusion of the names of some dead persons in the list of appointments into boards of some agencies released on Friday.

Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, stated this in an interview with newsmen in Abuja on Saturday.

He said the list which was released by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) was prepared over two years ago and nobody could stop some of those included on the list from dying between then and now.

According to him, the process of compiling the list started in 2015, while a reviewed list was presented to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2017 shortly before his health challenges.

He added that, having recovered fully, Buhari only instructed the new SGF, Boss Mustapha, to release the list.

Shehu however assured Nigerians that the dead appointees will be replaced.

He said:

This list is a historical list. It dates back to 2015. The President asked all state chapters of the APC to forward 50 names for appointments to the SGF through the national headquarters of the party. The then SGF, Babachir Lawal, presented the report in October 2016, one year after he was commissioned. The report was disputed by state governors who said they were not carried along or the list was not representative enough. So, the President constituted a new panel chaired by the Vice President. The panel has some governors and some leaders of the party as members. They were asked to go and review the list. The panel did its work and turned in its report early in 2017. The President had his health challenges during that period.’

Shehu further explained that the president only decided to revisit the matter recently and therefore directed the new SGF to release the list.

He assured that the appearance of dead persons’ names was a mistake which will be corrected.

The president approved the constitution of the Governing Boards of Agencies and Parastatals, under some Ministries, as well as the appointment of eminently qualified Nigerians to fill the Board positions.

The list was made up of 209 Chairmen and 1,258 members.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in May 1976 to gather and distribute news on Nigeria and cover events of interest to Nigeria at the international level for the benefit of the Nigerian Media and the Public.

15 Comments

  1. Aarefarmland

    December 31, 2017 at 12:03 am

    It showed lack of professionalism, at least after a few years you can still confirm whether some members are still interested and if some were pegged to be appointed last year it is still stupid to keep them waiting because the ‘government’ was in a foreign country.

  2. reaq

    December 31, 2017 at 12:25 am

    There was a country….smh

    • NG

      December 31, 2017 at 9:59 pm

      And then, mediocrity was not cloaked in garb of glory and that country had direction and order ruled more.

  3. tunmi

    December 31, 2017 at 1:07 am

    Does releasing the names mean they start immediately? If not, then fine. Where is this list? Do the dead persons have an asterisk by their names indicating they are deceased?

    • tunmi

      December 31, 2017 at 1:59 am

      I read the other blog post. I don’t think it was intentional to have their names on the list. This highlighted an important aspect of any deliverable or any media release – confirm all current information

  4. Susie

    December 31, 2017 at 2:21 am

    If the President is too sick to do his job properly, he should resign. Very insulting to Nigerians to issue appointment lists with dead people! And they couldn’t even apologize. Failed country

  5. Nwokpuru Nwabueze

    December 31, 2017 at 5:03 am

    The new president need not to be blamed since he is still practicing,

  6. Nakoms

    December 31, 2017 at 5:34 am

    Fourteen men on a dead man’s chest!
    Yohoho and a bottle of Rum!!!

    • Naya

      December 31, 2017 at 8:29 am

      Drink and the devil had done for the rest! Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

  7. KPỌMKWEM

    December 31, 2017 at 8:05 am

    COMPANY OF FOOLS…

  8. Sesan

    December 31, 2017 at 8:46 am

    Werey La wa e le yin

  9. Mrs chidukane

    December 31, 2017 at 9:46 am

    Shouldn’t they apologize? I’m sure if they hadn’t been discovered by Nigerians the list would have remained as is. How will you release a list without final vetting? There is really something in Aso rock that turns otherwise reasonable people into assholes .

  10. Wale Vintage

    December 31, 2017 at 2:33 pm

    They have to learn to be contrite and own their mistakes for once. These people are rascal idiots.

  11. Hope for Biafra

    December 31, 2017 at 2:56 pm

    That means that the Presidency doesn’t know the persons he appoints in to office, in other words he appoints from a a script. I wonder who wrote the script

  12. Seriously

    December 31, 2017 at 11:12 pm

    This presidency and APC party always justify their foolishness. But bark the loudest about the last adm and party.
    Drop this foolishness in 2017, let the new year be a time to be practical and truthful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Star Features

Advertisement
css.php