News

Aziz Ansari responds to Sexual Misconduct Allegations

BellaNaija.com

Aziz Ansari responds to Sexual Misconduct Allegations - BellaNaija

Aziz Ansari

Comedian and actor Aziz Ansari has responded to allegations of sexual misconduct made against him by a woman simply identified as Grace.

Grace had in a story on Babe, shared how she met the comedian at the 2017 Emmy Awards after-party and walked up to him.

They had gone a date, she said, and from there had proceeded to his apartment.

They allegedly shared their first kiss at his apartment, and in the first few minutes Ansari had indicated he wanted to get a condom.

Despite her verbal and non-verbal clues as to her disinterest in having sex, Ansari was persistent, she said, asking: “Where do you want me to f— you?”

After the encounter, she had returned home and texted him saying: “Last night might’ve been fun for you, but it wasn’t for me. You ignored clear non-verbal clues; you kept going with advances.”

Ansari replied with an apology, saying: “I’m so sad to hear this. Clearly, I misread things in the moment and I’m truly sorry.”

Ansari, in a statement released to People, said he believed everything was “completely consensual.”

Read the statement below:

In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date.

We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual.

The next day, I got a text from her saying that although ‘it may have seemed okay,’ upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said.

I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue.

Photo Credit: Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

1. Udegbunam Chukwudi

January 15, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Na to the tape and sign contract before every every

2. Question

January 15, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Kikikiki…#MeToo must talk…kikikikiki.

3. Tutu

January 15, 2018 at 12:44 pm

If your No is mistaken for a yes, then you’re not being assertive enough. You’re not a child. If you said a vehement No, ehn ehn, we hear. The babe is just crying wolf. I sympathize with the real people that have experienced sexual assault but this story just doesn’t cut it for me.

• htoy

January 15, 2018 at 1:14 pm

I thought the same thing too until I went to the “babe” website and read the full account.

• tunmi

January 15, 2018 at 3:13 pm

And if you mistook someone’s no for yes then you are not listening enough. You’re not a child. Anything other than an enthusiastic yes is a no. For goodness sake, find someone who is delighted to fuck you.

• Abby

January 15, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Thank you o. She shouldn’t have even gone to his apartment in the first place. As a lady, you know from get go if you want to “do” a guy or not. Maybe everyone should start carrying body cams ‘cos you never know what’s going to happen.

• Lilo

January 15, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Culturally, some men respond differently to No. they actually think no means yes no matter how assertive you are.

4. Jade

January 15, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Abeg, this one is more of bad sex gone wrong. I have to say, Indian men are so loose and have weird sexual behavior. I spent 3 months in India, and I was almost raped couple of times. The men can be so touchy, aggressive and annoyingly persistent. My co worker was an older Indian guy at my last job. The first day there, During lunch break, he asked if he we can go grab something. Then I asked him if I can use his charger because I forgot mine at home. This guy went from a serious guy to the most annoying human being ever.
    He tried to hold me, touch me doesn’t understand personal space. This lady saw how uncomfortable I was asked if I was okay. After that, i just became very mean to him because they take your politeness as acceptance.

• Poesy

January 16, 2018 at 2:12 am

Errrm, your experience mirrors that of the alleged victim. You do realize that you kind of supported her argument, right?

• jade

January 16, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Abeg, it’s different. This lady story states they’ve texted and went on a date prior which means there was some type of interest, comfortability on both sides. Do you know what it means to go on a date with someone then proceed to sexual activity and both were not inebriated?
      In my cases, these were just random men that I don’t have their numbers neither did we meet prior. And my co worker never tried anything after that.
      Just because the men are like that doesn’t make them rapists until the action is done.
      This is not to discredit real victims out there but I’m also aware of how women have also abused it just bcos a date or relationship went not as planned as they liked.

5. tunmi

January 15, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Good response

6. dhoney

January 16, 2018 at 1:12 am

At this rate, man go dey enter jail soon for ordinary lookery..smh