Music

Nigerian rappers are “kinda unknown” in South Africa – Cassper Nyovest

BellaNaija.com

Nigerian rapppers are "kinda unknown" in South Africa - Cassper Nyovest

Cassper Nyovest

A popular conversation that has been running for quite a while now on the Nigerian music scene is Nigerian rappers going more “commercial” with their music as opposed to sticking with hardcore rap.

Speaking with PulseNG, South African rapper Cassper Nyovest who won the Best Hip Hop act award at the just concluded Soundcity MVPs shared his thoughts on the matter.

The “Doc Shebaleza” crooner explained that hip hop is not an African sound but obtained from Americans while also expressing optimism that Africans will one day find their own hip hop sound which will be peculiar to them.

He also agreed with M.I Abaga‘s assertion that SA rappers are bigger than their Nigerian counterparts. He explained that the Nigerian rappers are relatively unknown in SA.

Read excerpts from the interview below:

On Hip Hop culture in Africa:

We have to understand that it is not our culture. Hip-hop is not an African thing. It is American, and right now the sound in Africa is very African and Afrobeats. That’s what people are listening to right now. So when you come to rap on a Trap beat or a Hip-hop beat, you are already removing yourself from so many ears.

But at the same time, we dress the same as the Afrobeats guys and they listen to Hip-hop. So I believe we will get to a point where we will find our own sound or our own way of doing it. And have our people appreciate it.

On the rivalry between SA & Nigerian rap:

Yes, South African Hip-hop is in the forefront of African Hip-hop in general. It might not be as popular as it is in South Africa in Nigeria. But I know for a fact that the rappers from Nigeria are kinda unknown in SA. If we talk about crossing over, I know that a lot of people in Nigeria know about my music. I know that in Kenya and Ghana it’s the same thing.

I’m not just talking about me, I’m talking about the movement. Sarkodie is big in Ghana, but are there other rappers who are as big as Sarkodie from Ghana? The South African Hip-hop movement is big across, also in London, New York…we are out there performing in different countries.

Me saying that might offend people here. They might feel that I’m taking shots at Nigerian music. But that’s not the deal. If we are to discuss in terms of numbers and appeal across the world, it’s just the way it is.

On M.I’s call for rappers to infuse more rap in their music:

If I decide to rap on a beat like Davido’s “Fall“, which is more like Afro-pop, is it not Hip-hop? I don’t know, I’m not the one who came up with a set of rules. For me, it’s still Hip-hop because it is a rapper. I can decide to rap on anything. I just use it as a beat and rap on it. It doesn’t have to be a certain kind of beat.

At the end of the day, it’s each to his own. If M.I feels like that’s his opinion, that’s his opinion. For me, anyone can rap in any language that is dope. If you say it’s Hip-hop, then it is Hip-hop.

On rappers deciding to do more of singing:

It’s none of my business. I don’t think rappers must not sing. If you want to sing, you could sing. But if you are a rapper, we still need to hear you rap. You can’t sing all the time. We have to hear you rap because you need to rap for us to call you a rapper. If you sing all the time that means you are a singer now.

Photo Credit: Instagram – @casspernyovest

1. Toba Emmanuel

January 18, 2018 at 9:59 am

Shut up !!! why must he said that Nigerian Rapper are not known in SA ? so we did not know you too here in Nigeria ‘Shikena ‘ only Sound City know you oooo !!!

• Seriously

January 18, 2018 at 11:04 am

Geez, why are Nigerians so aggressive. He’s entitled to his opinion
      So dead loyal to the same country that treat you like s*it.
      I wish y’all are this aggressive about change and your leaders.

All I know is, Nasty C is very talented. His flow is so smooth and good lyrics.
      Falz is also good, I like how he incorporates speaking his language and comedy.

• June

January 18, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Guy,it is not a fight . Please read and comprehend . 2018- high blood pressure is not your portion so please take it easy. The guy is did not say anything bad or disrespectful . Haba!

2. SoniaPaloma

January 18, 2018 at 10:40 am

Maybe he is right, I don’t know but never heard his songs either.

• mrs pangolo

January 18, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Bn fix tripple P’s in Rappers (title)

3. Bey

January 18, 2018 at 10:47 am

uncle pls who knows you here. I don’t even know any of your wack music.
    The only SA rapper I even know is that one dating Bonang, whats his name again.

4. Vanessa

January 18, 2018 at 10:47 am

Putting his foot in the mouth as always. Nigerian music played day in and day out in SA radio stations. He did the same thing when he went to Sway after the BET Awards. If he doesn’t play Nigerian music, most of us do.

5. JUA

January 18, 2018 at 11:14 am

SHut up Cassper! or at least speak for yourself! As for me an my house we go down with not only Nigerian rappers but any music that goes down. AND while on Nigerian radio’s tell them that kinda most Of south Africans dont like your Arrogant A…..

Let me stop there before a break my new years resolutions.

6. Mrs chidukane

January 18, 2018 at 11:48 am

My people my people. Reading without objectivity and comprehension.

7. A-nony

January 18, 2018 at 12:14 pm

I don’t understand why you guys are so angry! Jeez!
    Nigerian ‘rappers’ are truly unknown world wide. How many rappers are in Nigeria?
    They will tell you people something, you will be getting angry instead of you to face the situation and do something about it.
    Nigerians, forever reactive and hardly proactive. mscheew.

8. Guest

January 18, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Lmao clearly reading comprehension is a problem to many on the comments. He said this is his opinion. He is talking about Nigerian HIP HOP not being that big in South Africa..NOT Nigerian music in general. Y’all are so pressed by the truth though!! According to NUMBERS and APPEAL,Nigerian RAPPERS are not that big in SA. You don’t see them doing shows in SA,but the singers are big there,and he named Davido,Wizkid,Burna Boy,Tiwa and Yemi doing well in SA. Read and Comprehend people,read and comprehend.

• June

January 18, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Please tell them o !!Gosh!!! I cannot even shout! He didn’t even say anything bad. 2018 people . We need to read , comprehend and do better !!

9. Xplorenollywood.com

January 18, 2018 at 1:37 pm

I bow oh! OMG! he said and i quote “Me saying that might offend people here. They might feel that I’m taking shots at Nigerian music. But that’s not the deal. If we are to discuss in terms of numbers and appeal across the world, it’s just the way it is”. Of course SA know the likes of Wizzy, Davido, Tiwa and Yemi, but do they know the MIs/Rappers of Nigeria? He has a point! Lets not also get in twisted, SA is probably well know when it comes to rap world wide! Truth be told, how many do we truly have? After MI, Naeto C, Mode 9, Vector and Ikechukwu not sure i know any other rappers!

10. Hmm

January 18, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Nigeria rappers are shifting the bar higher, they are busy collaborating with Drake, Future and the likes, signing contracts with Jay- Z and winning awards from Billboard to the Grammy’s – Dominating the U.S. –

What is the catch in South Africa — Nil

• A-nony

January 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Please which Nigerian rappers are collaborating with Drake? Which rappers are dominating in which US? What are you saying? You better face your reality. Nigeria does not have rappers. The best rapper Nigeria had was MI. Abi is it Wizkid and Davido you are calling rapper? All this arrogance wee not let you people see road well.

11. WestAfricanGirlBijuoux

January 18, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Nigerians think the are better than any other African country. Funny thing is y’all have the most economically f—ed up economy in all of Africa (419, power outage, dirt everywhere, kidnapping, badoo cultism, arm robbery, corruption etc,) , and always be running to other countries. The guy is not fighting with y’all. He just stated his opinion. No big deal if you don’t agree you don’t have to insult him. You are insulting him yet your country is so dirty you run to his to shoot music videos

Nigerians you people need to get off your high horse. You are not better in any thing except corruption and 419. Stop looking down on other African countries

• miss_nk

January 19, 2018 at 10:47 am

Lol, I dont understand you people, forever throwing shots at Nigerians on a Nigerian blog yet complaining about us being on a high horse. You put us on there by forever talking about us…

12. Mawi

January 18, 2018 at 9:13 pm

I really don’t understand the anger here. Can’t we all be objective and honest with ourselves? Nigerian rappers are NOT on the map! Naeto C & MI were some of the biggest rappers in naija, and yet, where are they today? What are they doing within naija let alone across the world? I totally agree with cassper and he made his point without being insultive nor degrading. He also gave credit to whom it’s due. Even if u don’t agree with his point, u can disagree in same mature manner.
    Most Nigerians will never read to understand, just rush to comment based on misguided, angry and egotistical sentiments. Smh

13. Nigerian Trap Music

May 26, 2019 at 2:00 pm

HE spoke sincerely on this one respect..