Relationships

“I have not found anyone that has tickled my fancy” – Zainab Balogun

BellaNaija.com

In an interview with Punch, Media personality Zainab Balogun speaks on her love life, how she hasn’t met anyone she’s interested in and long it took her to adjust since moving back to Nigeria from the UK six years ago.

Read excerpts below:

On her relationship status: I am not in a relationship, but when you find my future husband, tell him that I am here waiting for him. I don’t know what is wrong with Lagos boys and I think the men should hold a meeting and ask one another what the problem is

On finding love in Lagos: Lagos is an interesting city when it comes to romance and I think we have our own unique language when it comes to love. However, since I got to Lagos about six years ago, I have not found anyone that has tickled my fancy. The few criteria I am looking for in a man are that he must be humorous, honest and transparent. He does not have to be rich, but he has to be aspirational because I am a very driven person and I spend a lot of time working. I cannot date a lazy person, we have to match each other when it comes to working hard.

On adjusting to living in Lagos: I am a very aspirational and self-driven person, who is deeply rooted in family. I did not run away from home, I was born and raised in London, but I took the risk of moving back to Nigeria. I came back to Nigeria because I wanted to take on a new challenge. I have been in London all my life and felt that it was time to continue my career in Nigeria.

My parents did not want me to come to Nigeria, but it felt like the right time to come to Nigeria. I have been in Nigeria for six years and I am happy with my decision. Moving to Lagos was not that easy and it took me about three years to adjust to the lifestyle. My main problem with Lagos was the traffic situation because I decided that I was going to drive myself. I also had to learn about the culture, but I eventually adapted.

1. Californiabawlar

January 20, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Lmaoo ?? Zoinobu!!! See shade. All her current Naija-based toasters are all going “So no hope?! ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️“.

Anyways girlie, good luck finding a transparent AND honest person in Lagos, worst still in your work/social circles where half the folks can’t even see through themselves. Many of them no even sabi their government name anymore sef.

I don’t know why, but Zainab Balogun always gives me the Genevieve/Agbani type vibes. Maybe cos they don’t smile much lol.

• Shandi

January 20, 2018 at 2:23 pm

“Anyways girlie, good luck finding a transparent AND honest person in Lagos, “. It’s difficult to “find” a transparent and honest person anywhere. Be in Toronto, Chicago, Houston, London, Port Harcourt.

• californiabawlar

January 20, 2018 at 7:15 pm

@(lepa)Shandi, my dear some places are harder than others. Somewhere in between the fast-paced hustle and bustle and the party lifestyle, Lagos (and possibly other similar cities) will rob you of your transparency and honesty FAST especially if you work in entertainment. I stand to be corrected sha…

2. bruno

January 20, 2018 at 1:44 pm

this one thinks very highly of herself. aunty u are a nobody outside lagos island, park well biko.
    if not for bellanaija I will not know u.

• Halley

January 20, 2018 at 6:31 pm

she’s parked and you are in her lane. So move?!
      What’s wrong with thinking highly of onself. I’m with her on her stance. I’ve been back for a few years and I can tell you that Finding love in Lagos is a puzzle! Are you a man? You might be oblivious of this fact because na your type full ground,
      It’s even Worst if you are a woman and have everything going well for you esp financially. It’s Only Gold miners that would flock and perch around prophesying undying love and initiating marriage after a couple months. Abeg Trailer jam such love! ??‍♀️

• Temi

January 20, 2018 at 6:43 pm

No one knows her even in London. That’s why she is in Lagos. Next!

• Ottawa Queen

January 20, 2018 at 10:38 pm

@Halley, yes! she’s a man…

3. NaSo

January 20, 2018 at 1:52 pm

U try go tickle somebdy fancy na…then folo wetin u want.

4. Marvel

January 20, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Goodluck to finding your future partner but you might want to steer clear of creative types. Try and settle for professionals such as accountants, medical doctors, teachers. Normal types. Nothing like business man, venture capitalist and ambiguous terminology.

From experience, creative and artistic personalities can be quite moody, fussy, attention-seeking and temperamental to mention a few negative traits.
    Never be fooled by how articulate and composed they sometimes appear,

They tend to fare badly in relationships so I am suggesting courting mature types not to be confused with age. Know thyself o, it helps to cut down the level of heartbreak a girl sometimes deals with in this Lagos.
    Eko ti baje sha.

• Bola

January 20, 2018 at 2:26 pm

From your experience, just cause it happened to you doesn’t mean it’ll happen to others. Life is different and isn’t one size fits all. Anyone can be moody, fussy or attention-seeking; be it Doctors, Creatives, Teachers, Engineers, Investment Bankes, Entrepreneurs, anyone. I can’t stand it when people have generalized views on topical issues in life

5. Physio Tinu

January 20, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Said my aunty after reading the post: “kwara, Osun, Ekiti, Anambra or Zamfara men nko? can they step in if Lagos boys are falling her hand?” ??

6. ok o

January 20, 2018 at 3:33 pm

She is pretty and the haircut suits her. I am on the verge of having the big chop myself..

• No Way

January 21, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Are you pretty as well.
      What is the shape of your head?
      Four corners?
      Egg shape.
      Mug shape.
      Yam shape.
      Completely shapeless.
      Etc.
      First view yourself objectively.
      If unable to do so, find someone who tells the truth for a living.
      Not everyone should do the big chop in my opinion.
      Some heads should be covered with as much hair as possible.

Zainab, you’ll find your type.

• mz_titilitious

January 22, 2018 at 11:37 am

lol

7. Didi

January 20, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Shiloh loading…

8. Zainab

January 20, 2018 at 5:41 pm

My namesake, you will see your own jare. you hear? just keep being yourself and pray

9. Favour

January 20, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Am I old school in my thoughts sometimes, I think she may as well avoid this question, I don’t think ladies need to place placards that they are single or drooling on a hot guy like Toke and Kemi did with Anthony Joshua…. you may let your circle of friends know but putting it all out oh ha scream desperation… she may just say when I am in a serious relationship you will all know.. closed chapter if she really wants to answe the question .

• Mrs

January 20, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Favour, take it easy, life is not so serious.. Toke was just playing… isn’t she older than Joshua??? as for Kemi Adetiba…. is she not old enough to be his mother sef?? you need a sense of humour. Having a crush on someone does not mean you are planning to live happily ever after with them.

• shabba

January 20, 2018 at 11:53 pm

@ Mrs – toke was NOT playing. That chic thirsty! We saw how she went on a John Boyega stalking spree

• Fizzy

January 21, 2018 at 4:31 am

Congratulations. Try dragging Toke = Epic fail. Have you eaten today?

10. County

January 20, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Lol Zainab when you eventually find someone, please get to know ALL his friends and ask around just to be sure that he’s not a closet gay man. A friend of mine fell into that trap recently, she has not been normal ever since.

• Big4here

January 20, 2018 at 8:41 pm

AUNTY will you keep kwayet!! Them tell u say closeted men dey keep gay close friends??

Have a friend that is gay and all his friends are straight. Not all closed in gay men wanna act like queens on real housewives.

Sadly naija society doesnt help men live their true life. That a man has been sexually attracted to men doesnt mean he will sex everyman he sees. There are deep psycho issues to talk o”about. We r not all born equal. Women/men walk away if u cant handle but i beg you to avoid acting like you are the only one affected. Show him/her love. You can be with a straight person dat will never show the love that the closeted one showed ya.

Marriage na partnership bikonu, who fairytale epp?? Be reall, lotta naija men be gay…wat my eye saw at unilag ehn, or is it quilox…tufia

11. John

January 20, 2018 at 8:52 pm

“I have not found anyone that has tickled my fancy” – Zainab Balogun…….maybe a woman can tickle your fancy and also in the oza room

12. Holly hydra

January 20, 2018 at 10:35 pm

That’s good of you but be very fearful on who you’ll journing your destiny with ill appreciate if we can talk on phone send me your number

13. Mamamia

January 21, 2018 at 12:07 am

And this is the same Lagos others are meeting their husbands o. Shoot your shot woman and see what happens. Zainab is one of those girls that have a lot of admirers, maybe she is just being too selective.

14. Jide

January 26, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Zainab has a pretty face and is very intelligent. I’d really like to see with long(er) hair for a change!