Scoop

Ghanaian Actress Moesha Boduong apologises for comments made on CNN’s “Sex & Love Around the World”

Ghanaian Actress Moesha Boduong apologises for comments made on CNN's "Sex & Love Around the World" - BellaNaijaGhanaian actress Moesha Boduong had been heavily criticised after CNN shared a snippet of the 5th episode of seriesSex & Love Around the World.”

The series has host Christiane Amanpour exploring just what the title suggests – how humans across the world navigate sex and love.

Boduong had discussed maintaining an affair with a married man who caters to her bills.

While some were in support of the actress, saying she spoke the truth, others condemned her, asking that she apologise to Ghanaian women.

Boduong has apologised, sharing a photo on Instagram and writing:

Dear gh this is Moesha. I have been humbled by all that is going on and I have also learnt a lot in the last few days since the CNN video came out. I have had a lot of time to think and reflect and I APOLOGIZE TO ALL, ESPECIALLY MY AFRICAN SISTERS. I pray u all find it in your hearts to forgive me. It was definitely not my intention to offend any of you. I respect all the hard working women of our beloved country and accept that some of my utterances were not a reflection of what happens in most homes. GOD works in mysterious ways and everything happens because he says so?? Thanks for the love, pieces of advice and criticisms. GOD bless us all! The full version of the interview drops this weekend and I hope you can appreciate what I said in its entirety. Thank you. God bless you all!

See the post below:

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Moesha Babiinoti Boduong (@moeshaboduong) on

Photo Credit: moeshaboduong

1. Della Russel

April 14, 2018 at 2:11 am

Ever seen any of her movies?

2. OA

April 14, 2018 at 2:24 am

This woman has sense die! Even though me I don’t think she did anything wrong, at least she’s accepted to publicly apologize and take the criticism in a positive light. Even if she yinmu’s behind closed doors, it’s her public response that matters most.

3. Physio Tinu

April 14, 2018 at 2:56 am

Why is she apologising? She spoke her truth!!! Apparently people prefer hypocrisy or being politically correct to the truth. What she said applies to a good number of both young women (and now men) who live in urban centres in Nigeria who would be forming “I have a boutique in Lekki/Festac” as a front rather than admit it.

I was surprised that the lady spoke so frankly and applauded her breaking the culture of silence that permeates our west Africa psyche and now she’s apologising…sigh.

I’m curious though and I’d have liked to ask her if she’d accept to be wife number 2/3 rather than be the other woman/side chick.

• Chi

April 14, 2018 at 6:27 am

There’s a difference between speaking your truth as a hoe and generalising that everyone needs to be a hoe to survive in gh

4. Udegbunam Chukwudi

April 14, 2018 at 7:15 am

What the hell is she apologizing for oh? For speaking her true mind ni?

5. Memebaby

April 14, 2018 at 8:34 am

Why is she apologizing??! I thought this was a Nigerian behavior clearly it isn’t. Sis.. go on with the work you sabi.

6. Anonymous

April 14, 2018 at 9:46 am

Any surprised how ladies we saw back in Uni doing runs have turned saint. They will sleep with men living in Ikoyi and senators and define it as class, like say the ones doing mechanic no be the same. Abi no be the same university for naija again where those rich men block entrances. Some of them carry on after marriage while others turn overnight saints. We are not saying there are no hard working women but we also cannot forget the ones that played throughout school, jumping from pillar to post in university days, stop using the ‘hate’ card. Hmmmmmm I bow! The same way witches don disappear from our churches and society. Yimu! Dem still full berekete, only that this time they fly using technology and do coded runs using Social media. This Ghanaian babe talk true, simples like meerkat, lol. Anyway, did anyone go to University where ‘runs’ no dey???

• omomo

April 14, 2018 at 1:13 pm

do you think whites don’t do runs but the select what they put out there so you keep thinking that place is heaven..she single handedly disgraced a whole black nation where probably more women are struggling and hustling in agriculture and the like ….than the so called 3% who where able to snag a man to take care of them ..it was very wrong ….has she gone the length and breath of Ghana and i don’t mean accra or kumasi but ALL the hinterland for her to come up with that outrageous statistic.????…she didn’t use her brain at all she would have put it in a better way

7. ladybird

April 14, 2018 at 1:36 pm

A lot of you guys don’t understand it’s not exactly about what she said that is controversial but the generalizations she made.

She said, “In Ghana, our economy is such a way that you need someone to take care of you. You can’t make enough money as a woman here. Because even when you want to get an apartment, in Ghana they take two years’ advance and I just started working where will I get money to pay?”

that might not be entirely wrong but If she is telling her story she should mention her name ONLY and that of her peers. But NO, she made it seem like in Ghana that is what we women are all about. The economy is definitely NOT the problem. There are several Ghanaian women out there who are making real strides in their chosen fields who don’t depend on men to live. Most importantly let us remember that it is nothing but pure LAZINESS on her part that is making her prostitute herself to married men in order to live above her means.

All in all, I felt that CNN was up to mischief. infidelity is nothing new and happens even in the West. While Amanpour’s segment focused on sex and love around the world with spotlight on places like Beirut, Tokyo and Shanghai, Ghana is the only place in which she decided to highlight negative topics like infidelity.

How can we put Ghana on the map with a person like this making sweeping generalizations on a global platform? i personally don’t care if Moesha puts her thoughts on national tv as we can judge for ourselves but on a global platform where people may not know much about the country, what would an investor say when he sees this? He’ll take his chances and run.

• Ifedolapo

April 14, 2018 at 4:37 pm

I watched the episode she did in Japan and yes she talked about infidelity -married women having boyfriends and the women were very open with their truth.

• Zee

April 15, 2018 at 3:31 am

No darling, capitalism has no time for moralistic hang ups. I bet you money real estate investors are swooping in on Ghana right now to litter guest houses across Accra. Afterall Oga needs proper accommodations to meet with his babe……………………

• curious

April 16, 2018 at 5:14 pm

very well put. people are mistaking two issues. She is talking about what she does. Yes. But should she make it seem all women in Ghana do this? No.

8. Temi

April 14, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Where is the lie? Like there are women in high places in Nigeria who are there without the help of a “daddy.” Sugar, biological or kids daddy….. We are knee deep in patriarchy and no woman gets ahead without a man saying so. Fact. Some women marry the men and call it “supportive partner” others simply pay as you go.

Ps, Moesha as a Ghanaian name is more hilarious ?

9. Temi

April 14, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Aunty Bella on da moderation. We should set up a blog for everyone who gets “comments awaiting moderation” to post the said comment coz heaven knows how many opinions we never read.

• memebaby

April 14, 2018 at 3:07 pm

this blog is getting pretty dry tbh..no more traffic as before..i guess everyone..including BN has moved on..

10. mela

April 14, 2018 at 4:10 pm

……And God will come in!

11. Temi Tope

April 14, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Why Africans never want to hear the truth?? AFRICANS A BIG FOOLS HYPOCRITES.. they love to hide things and dying inside. pffffffffffffff

• Bola

April 15, 2018 at 12:44 pm

If anything; you’re the classic fool. The problem about her comments to Christine Amanpour isn’t exactly the problem as many useless girls today depend on men; both married and single for survival. The problem however is generalizing that Ghanaian women have to and mostly depend on men cause the economy isn’t stable. They’re many shameless girls in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya and beyond Africa who rely on married and single men for survival. At the same time; you have hard-working girls who survive on their own via their careers, business, big or small, entrepreneurship, or even by their Parents, etc. So her comment isn’t exactly the problem; the generalization is, and it’s stupid and inaccurate. Also unfair to the genuine hard working ladies.

12. Thank

April 14, 2018 at 9:11 pm

The Moesha babe set well well…..i will do

13. youtriedit

April 14, 2018 at 9:52 pm

the problem isn’t what she said… its what she’s doing. shame on her.

14. youtriedit

April 14, 2018 at 9:56 pm

and shame on the men for engaging in such behavior!

15. tunmi

April 14, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Woah for her to say this is quite frankly, very unAfrican

16. Tolu

April 15, 2018 at 12:35 pm

@memebaby you’re right. People rarely comment on articles anymore

17. miss rouge

April 15, 2018 at 2:50 pm

people rarely comment on articles because there are really no articles to comment on. just gossip, and promotional content. all the good writers that kept the blog engaging have moved on. but then there are interesting talents out there that need to be discovered. Bella naija team needs to get creative. this blog is losing its flavor

18. Letty

April 15, 2018 at 9:24 pm

And the perpetuation of the ugly African stereotypes continue. Why this misguided woman said this on an international stage beehooves me. Africa has a very tattered ugly image here in America and this just fuels it further. I guess the African mentality of notice me at whatever cost is still pervasive. She must have thought I’m on cnn who cares I can say whatever. Just turn on the cameras and mic.