Music

My lawyers will write NBC to find out why “This is Nigeria” was banned – Falz

BellaNaija.com

My lawyers will write NBC to find out why "This Is Nigeria" was banned- Falz | BellaNaija

Falz

So much controversy has followed the lyrics and video of rapper Falz‘s song “This is Nigeria” since its release.

Most notably was the Islamic group Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) who asked that Falz remove the video from the internet or face legal action.

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) eventually banned the song, citing its lyrics “This is Nigeria, look how we living now, everybody be criminal” as vulgar.

Falz, in an interview with Punch, has said there is nothing vulgar about the song.

There was no reason for the commission to ban the song, Falz said. He added that he intends to have his lawyers write to them to find out why the song was banned. He said:

There is absolutely nothing vulgar about the song and I think it is ridiculous that the National Broadcasting Commission singled out the least vulgar line in the song and ascribed it to be the reason they banned the song. It is a very simple and clean song.

The only thing is that I was very blunt about the way I talk about things. I do not know maybe some messages in the song hit them and that is the real reason they banned the song.

The line was, ‘This is Nigeria, look how we living now. Everybody be criminal.’ If they ban this song, then I do not understand them because that song is definitely not a vulgar song.

I do not know if the fact that some group wanted me to retract the song is linked with this new development but I know that there were a lot of messages in the song and it is hitting a lot of people in the wrong places and that is what is making them react in that manner.

However, there was absolutely no basis for the NBC to ban that song. I am going to have to write to them through my lawyers to find out what is really going on.

When I find out the reason behind the ban, I could ask them to lift it if need be and if they do not adhere to my request, I might have to seek legal redress

1. Pat

August 11, 2018 at 9:46 am

Nothing vulgar about the song. Probably happening in Naija are to be swept under the rug. Which way forward NIGERIA?

• Tap

August 11, 2018 at 10:45 am

But are we all criminals? I am not a criminal.

• Jade

August 13, 2018 at 3:13 am

Even when you steal small meat from the pot, didn’t do the right thing. All na thief thief. Naijas are too self righteous yet do the most evil things.
      Falz, good job about time we start using our right accordingly instead of fake praying and pretend

• Fleur

August 12, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Guys is this about an original song he did or the grand Caricature/meme of another artist’s song? we can open eye sha. He is calling lawyers to defend airing “his music” when he never… … anyway, this is Nigeria. In countries with worthwhile judicial systems you’d be paying lawyers to defend you from a copyright lawsuit

2. nicks powell

August 11, 2018 at 10:10 am

Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) or National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) they can do anything to him, he is a renegade with freedom of speech, just because he point out the truth everybody is going crazy , am an hip pop artist just like him, and they better get ready for my new hit song Nigeria must wanted coming soon,hip pop is lyrics not beat, we expresses our pains through lyric, we don’t poet for money, but eventually if the money come, we take it.

• Cocoa

August 11, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Okay, we will get ready for your new hit song….and if it has profanities in it..you get ready for a ban.

Still I hope your lyrics are respectable. All the best.

3. Ijebujesha

August 11, 2018 at 5:35 pm

The actual reason it was banned – FULANI herdsmen dey massacre everybody.

The reason they will give you and the public- Everybody is a criminal.

4. Abiola Makanjuola

August 11, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Everytime you speak the truth, people get upset. The song is the truth. Deal with NBC!

5. Baybie

August 12, 2018 at 1:16 am

“There is freedom of speech, but I cannot guarantee freedom after speech” Goodluck with the case, Falz

6. COMMENTER

August 12, 2018 at 4:21 am

Abi he lie? Where is the lie? Our leadership and some nigerians love to hide behind the pretense of offense. There is no lie. Our government is corrupt. Yes not everyone is a criminal but there is a pervasive acceptance of corruption in Nigeria….. Eg… some sef we don’t notice because it is business as usual and we have been conditioned to accept it as “normal”. Please, make den leave Falz jor….after they will say “only prayer can save Nigeria” but they will be using the energy to chase Falz…. Leave Falz and his music alone jarey!!!

On a lighter note……Falz, wa, Diz your suits you har wearing iz looking very nize on you! D trouses iz 100%

7. Californiabawlar

August 12, 2018 at 5:24 am

Go on with your litigatious bad self Falz! Go on ????