Sweet Spot

BN Sweet Spot: Alexis Ohanian is just fine with being called “Serena Williams’ Husband”

BN Sweet Spot: Alexis Ohanian is just fine with being called "Serena Williams' Husband" | BellaNaija

Serena Williams & husband Alexis Ohanian

If you think being described everywhere as “Serena Williams‘ husband,” would have Alexis Ohanian feeling salty, well, you’re wrong.

The Reddit co-founder was asked if he was ever provoked by the description, and he made it clear that, actually, he isn’t.

Far more people have cheered for his wife than those who know him, he shared, and his contribution to the world is nowhere near what his wife has done.

He wrote:

I don’t mind at all. Only a few hundred million people use @reddit every month and only a small percentage of them know who I am. (Far, far more people have cheered for my wife; specifically, for the last two decades) Just math.

And even if @Initialized ended up being one of the greatest VC funds of all time (that’s the goal), the contribution to the world — let alone recognition — isn’t close to comparable to what my wife has done and will continue to do. It’s pretty liberating, really.

I’m used to being the face of my companies, so I enjoy not being the “public-facing” partner in my marriage.

All of it is too sweet.

1. zena

September 19, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Her husband is soo behind her 100% and does not mind being in her shadow. Its soo rare of a man. May God locate my Alexis Ohanian

• Akpeno

September 19, 2018 at 3:21 pm

As long as you are “Serena Williams” i your field, your Alexis Ohanian will find you…

• Seriously

September 19, 2018 at 8:34 pm

I mean, hes serena’s husband, should he be called another woman’s husband.
      He’s married to one of the most celebrated female athletes in the world. And he co owns a popular website, so no he’s not in anyone’s shadow. He became more popular marrying serena but he’s not an average guy.
      White men(I know he’s Armenian) but hes included know how to play their game well. They are always politically correct never share their true feelings publicly. Their deep true feelings are hidden. Being biracial taught me no race or ethnic group fits into any stereotype, it’s really individual.
      Havent we heard of the supportive and understanding husband who later killed his wife. And they looked like the perfect couple.

2. CrazyWorld

September 19, 2018 at 2:47 pm

If a woman should say this, just imagine what CNA and BN loyalists will say. I can bet some women will jump in the comment talking about how sweet he is blah blah….awon oni double standards

3. Amaka

September 19, 2018 at 3:34 pm

He looks like a really nice guy .. very laid back..

4. LemmeRant

September 19, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Lol. You BN people are just funny.

So it is BN sweet spot, and “too sweet” to be called a Woman’s husband, but when you refer to a woman as a man’s wife, you have committed a cardinal sin.

5. John

September 19, 2018 at 8:09 pm

I find this their relationship so weird and creepy.

I would have understood if it was a beauty like Beyonce or Tara banks but Serena.

I really want to know this man’s end game.

What the hell is he up to..

Anyway let him continue to deceive the gullibles

• Tena

September 20, 2018 at 12:22 am

Wi yu kip KWAYET!!!! You are saying Serena’s relationship is weird and creepy because she is not a beauty? By whose standards? And when did your definition of beauty become the standard for love and marriage. You can go and kick rocks with that silly opinion of yours. You are a fly on the windscreen of history. Serena on the other hand is a Goddess and the best at what she does. She has a legacy that will be remembered for years to come. Take your jealousy and self hatred elsewhere. Go suck on a lemon John! The end.

Yes, I am ranting for Serena Williams who doesn’t even know I exist lol

• seriously

September 20, 2018 at 1:00 pm

@John it’s Tyra Banks
      If beauty was the determining factor for a good end game, Jay z would have never cheated on Beyonce. Tyra Banks will be married now.
      What happened to good personality, and character that’s what beauty is. And this guy finds Serena beautiful.

• Hmmm

September 20, 2018 at 4:14 pm

And that is how men like you end up with the kind of women that make you write your usual comments