Events

“I don’t even believe in God but I got to thank her tonight” – Thandie Newton after receiving 1st Emmy

Westworld star Thandie Newton won the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series category at Monday night’s Emmy Awards.

To receive her very first Emmy, the British star who plays Maeve Millay in the riveting TV Series expressed some strong religious opinions.

Newton shared “I don’t even believe in God but I got to thank Her Tonight! I am so blessed, without this, I am so f***ing blessed. ”

Watch video:

1. Didi

September 18, 2018 at 9:03 am

You have been missing alot then. That beautiful feeling of having someone you can always talk to and confide in without being judged?? The numerous blessings and peace that comes with it?? I don’t even know how to explain it.
    I hope you get to believe Him even more from this moment and I pray He perfects all that concerns you.☺☺

2. goody

September 18, 2018 at 9:08 am

Who said that? Na only you waka come? There is GOD ooo. Stop deceiving yourself. That you got an award is not your RIGHT cos many other actresses did the same thing you did, but God showed you mercy. See is as a PRIVILEGE and give thanks to HIM.

• AmericanWonder

September 18, 2018 at 11:16 am

God get penis? Oh yes he must because he over powered and impregnated a teenager without her consent. And is very patriarchal.
      But maybe her God is a she, afterall, Gods are figments of our imagination and her she God rewards the godless fickle crowd with gongs instead of doing something more useful like not allowing kids to be born into abusive homes.

• Wisdom

September 18, 2018 at 12:33 pm

LOL! If it is for you to know, you will know

3. Splendid

September 18, 2018 at 11:49 am

@ AmericanWonder I am sorry for you. May God have mercy on you.

• AmericanWonder

September 18, 2018 at 1:12 pm

@Splendind
      Sorry, overshadowed, not overpowered but same difference, either way, no consent.
      “The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee:
      Luk1:35
      My own God is very merciful, certainly not the kind who has a penchant for flooding or burning people for trivial matters.
      @seriously –
      many acknowledge an ultimate reality/being/power, howbeit not all consider said being to the God of classical theism.

4. seriously

September 18, 2018 at 12:22 pm

This is interesting, not because she doesnt believe in God. So deep down in her heart, she knows there’s a higher power for her to be conscious of thanking “her” tonight after her win. Athiests crack me up, during triumphs, trials they switch up to pray or thank a higher power.Stop playing yourself and just accept.
    Congrats to her.

• Cocolette

September 18, 2018 at 3:18 pm

They do know that there is God but they don’t want to live life being answerable to anybody or ‘higher power’ so they try to pretend like there is no God

5. Frank Sinatra

September 18, 2018 at 1:45 pm

There is no God. Y’all have just been brainwashed.

6. Moyo Omidiran

September 18, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Didn’t even know she didn’t have an Emmy before. Congrats to her

7. Moyo Omidiran

September 18, 2018 at 3:59 pm

I didn’t even know she hadn’t won an Emmy before. Congrats to her.

8. CHENGELWA

September 18, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Am sure moments before one’s death are even more overwhelming to an ailing atheists than the feeling of receiving an Emmy award … am sure some atheist acknowledge the existence of God in like manner when overcome by the reality of the finality of all things mundane before dying ….

9. Anon

September 18, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Cocoa isn’t on this post? Where are you Cocoa?

10. John

September 18, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Even without looking at her pic, I know it will be as usual a dumb black woman

11. Miss Smart

September 18, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Thandie Newton should be allowed to believe whatever it is she wants to believe, same as those who believe in God. To each their own. God truly has no gender in my opinion. Man, made God in man’s image, not the other way around, if not we won’t think of God the way we do. ” A man sat in the clouds with a big book of life, answering all our prayers and favouring one over the other”

The white man who gave you this mysterious being seems to be running far away from this being, it should make you all think twice. Why not seek the true creator in the beauty that is the universe as opposed to belittling this divine energy to just one who answers prayers.

Also, those casting her away for her own beliefs- guess what? She has eaten and will keep eating. She is not going to battle power cuts, today, tomorrow or anytime soon. She doesn’t know you! She’s beautiful and has a beautiful family, she seems like someone who won’t judge based on skin colour or ethnicity. She seems okay to me. Are you okay?

By the way, I believe in God and I am a Christian ( a follower of Christ’s teachings, bearing in mind Christ never formed a religion), although not a blinded one, not a myopic one, most definitely an objective one. I love all, because all evolved from that divine energy that is the Universe.

• Lifeisbeautiful

September 18, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Are you smoking something? ….so you believe the universe is the true creator but then say you are a Christian. God may or may not have a gender but mind you Jesus said we should pray to Our Father who art in heaven….not to the universe….

• Miss Smart

September 18, 2018 at 11:23 pm

So uncouth! Why the personal insults? No, I am not smoking something. I’ve actually had a nice dinner and some pudding. To each their own. Enjoy the amazing world in which we live in. Love and light to you.

• Tolu

September 19, 2018 at 6:06 pm

FYI Christianity in Africa precedes ‘the white man’.

If the whie man who ‘gave’ us democracy starts running away from it, should we all run too?