We’ve heard chatter about superstar Nigerian entertainer D’Banj‘s “Koko” projects for a long time. According to various sources, there is a whole range of Koko products in the pipeline including Koko Water (A prototype for this featured in one of D’Banj’s videos), Koko Garri and Koko Mobile. D’Banj’s bar Koko Lounge has been operation for about a year and is doing well while the Koko Foundation is working on non-profit projects and charitable initiatives.

Well, Koko Mobile is no longer hear’say!

It has been confirmed that D’Banj will be releasing the Koko Mobile in October 2010. The first batch of the phones will be available in 3 colours namely Black, Silver and Pink.
The phone will come pre-loaded with D’Banj’s songs and video plus other exciting features and programs.
More details will be revealed soon.

Great to see D’Banj leveraging his brand and ensuring that his legacy extends beyond music and into other business enterprises. This is a positive example for other celebrities in Africa. In the United States, many ex-superstars (Musicians, Athletes, Actors etc..) are languishing in poverty and debt while those who invested wisely and created business enterprises such as Magic Johnson are living well. Even current stars such as Jay-Z , Beyonce and Diddy exemplify the positive mix of talent, fame and business savvy. We also encourage D’Banj and other stars who develop business enterprises to keep a firm eye on the operations and grow at their own pace!

Anyway, big congrats to D’Banj!

75 Comments on “Speed Dial The Koko” – KOKO Mobile from D’Banj is set to hit the streets in October 2010
  • Chei! August 31, 2010 at 9:29 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!! SMH.

• Miss Lola September 1, 2010 at 7:05 pm

LOL @ your name, are you a member on Nairaland?

• D.O.T.M.H. August 31, 2010 at 9:48 pm

interesting

• me August 31, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Haha first!!!!…okay that’s all I have to say..no comment on the “koko mobile”

• Chei! August 31, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Come, una dey win price for this first thing? biko please help me see trouble??! Its becoming annoying please.

• tamaye August 31, 2010 at 10:07 pm

wish him d best oo. other ‘celebrities’ wud soon follow his stepsss.

• Fatima August 31, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Good for him for expanding his brand!

• Geekgirl August 31, 2010 at 11:50 pm

what next, koko microwave?

• Someone September 1, 2010 at 12:45 am

Which company is responsible for producing the mobile phones?

• moi September 1, 2010 at 4:43 am

yeah good to finally see it after the peek in the “fall in love” video….bt i wonder why he doesnt have any smart phones….I dont know the cost but I dont think I would be willing to pay huge sum of money for a non-smart phone

• yinka September 1, 2010 at 6:28 am

How much?

• THE AMAKA September 1, 2010 at 6:39 am

hahahahahaha! dumb

• fruity September 1, 2010 at 7:43 am

Koko Mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nawa oh….Anyway as the article said, he’s investing and thats what will stand d test of tym

• fokasibe September 1, 2010 at 7:45 am

hahahahaha rotflmho wetin we no go see all in the name of koko? hehehehehe! I laff in greek!

• joke September 1, 2010 at 8:58 am

NICE ONE DBANJ.

• Nefertity September 1, 2010 at 9:17 am

That’s nice oooh! Iv even heard of koko garri! I think he wants a koko of everything
    My fingers are crossed! Mayb there will soon be koko undies!

• Damola September 1, 2010 at 9:45 am

am Dbanj or skibanj like my jamaican friends call me.

• tama September 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

it much be a china phone no doubt
    but am happy he has a biz mind anyway

• swthrt September 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

@chei, lol abi, haba really, like there is a prize for it, when there isnt.

• justsaying September 1, 2010 at 11:02 am

HE GO!!!!! I am so proud of him. I like people who know how to make wealth and multiply. It will definitely be a hit if he makes it very cheap and affordable. Good for school kids, low income Nigerians et al. Way to go son!!! That’s what i’m talking about.

• Peperempe September 1, 2010 at 11:03 am

I don’t see how these phones will sell in Lagos ( his biggest market) , when blackberrys are the in-thing. It would have been smarter to do a sort of deal with BB or Nokia or something where their phones can come with the added features of this Koko thingy.

I don’t see any reasonable person shelling out for this ugly Samsung c100-looking phone in stylish 2010 Lagos !

• Lagos Boy September 1, 2010 at 11:16 pm

This phone is not manufactured for BIG PEOPLE such as yourself…, not everyone in Lagos or Nigeria can by BB or can buy expensive phones. This phone is for the mass that cannot afford such phones but still use mobile service.. The small kids that go to boarding schools and regular folks that cant afford high end phones..The phone won’t be expensive at all. Think about the population that can’t afford high-end phones, there are way more of those ppl than ppl that can afford the expensive one… Use your brain buddy, This is a freaking excellent idea….

• Peperempe September 2, 2010 at 10:22 am

Okay no need for the vitriol, maybe you do have a point and there is a market for it. However, I bet that just like Anabel, these phones will be priced so unrealistically that it wouldn’t make any business sense. Well let’s wait and see.

• stunningkoko May 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm

you all do not have tangible things to do am sure if you do you wont be criticizing something that has been perfected,
        the one suggesting a kokoberry while not try it with your money and you koko undies also try that with your money,
        you all should also try to be creative.kokomobile is made in Nigeria and its Nigerians that should appreciate it more am sure does that produce the bb and iphone do not use them they would surely buy the kokomobile.
        its Nigerians that get crazy over nonsense created by them.
        find some better things to do and stop hating.

• Lagos Boy September 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm

The phones will not cost more than 3,500 naira… Moreover, if Nigeria does not buy, Africa is a big continent with many people. Get a phone for your driver or gateman for Christmas..:)

• omogekofo September 1, 2010 at 11:15 am

he should have produced a KOKOBERRY!!!
    woulda fell 4 that.
    ri8 now no 1 nid extra load.
    2 even say its a Chinko phone…………mschewwwwwwwwww

• omogekofo September 1, 2010 at 11:20 am

he should have produced a KOKOBERRY!!!
    woulda fell 4 that.
    ri8 now no 1 nid extra load.
    2 even say its a Chinko phone…………mschewwwwwwwwww

• bondwannabe September 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

**rolls eyes**

• more'deenah September 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Gaskiya ..Dbanj u fall my hand hia o! big tym!…
    1st d fone luks very ‘undbanjish’…lacks his known style and creativity…
    2nd i think wats worth doin atall is worth doin well…a kokoberry as proposed by omogekofo is so on point..it wouldnt have 2 cost much if mass produced and judging by d Nig market who r fond of falln over each other 4 sumtyn new n diff..kai Skibanj ..think AGAIN u CAN do BERRA! No mind ds chinko pple joo!
    OOOOOOOOOshey!

• jezz September 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

the phone looks so cheap, it shouldn’t sell for more than N1,000.

• Adowa September 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm

You’re silly for that statement.You do know you have an option not to buy.

• Ehh September 2, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Silly for saying phone looks cheap? When it actually does. I agree with @jezz it does look very cheap. I totally dig the concept and the idea and i’m hoping the phone in the picture up there is just a prototype, because if thats the phone he wants to brand his name on i am slightly disappointed. But oh well i guess you cant please everyone…

• ejiwunmi awelewa September 1, 2010 at 2:03 pm

kudos to dbanj.wat re d features of phone and hpe its nt expensive o cos it has my starcomms fone look

• ibinike September 1, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Koko mobile? i wish him luck. What is the business model and who d heck is the business analyst/consultant that led d’bang down this path? He should have taken a cue from anabel mobile! No one wants to be stuck with expensive branded phones when other well-known brands exists that does d magic. He shld have stuck with familiar and compatible businesses like fashion, music production/star mgt and maybe media!

• sisi September 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

nothing is wrong in trying, and if it doesnt work out …at least he tried. better than some of us who have business ideas but never try. not every one can afford blackberry and if koko mobile works fine. Then he may expand to kokoberry someday… 9ja people hardly have good things to say about each other yet its only mouth they have and have nothing to show for all their over sabi. Good luck Koko mobile…

• salama September 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Wow am so proud of u D banj .. U think well
    No dulling man.I love d phone think I want to b d first to buy it. Winks

• KOKOlet September 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm

….”I hope it’s GPRS-enabled, with bluetooth,blacktooth,memory card,infra-red,torch,PS 2 or 3,ATM,spare battery,free DSTV channels(at least 25 or 30),bullet-proof,crash helmet, parachute,solar-powered,printer,scanner,fax,etc and will sell for about N5,000.”
    No b me talk am o!

• POSH September 2, 2010 at 9:47 am

hahahahahahahaha… U made me choke on my drink now! lmao @ ATM, bullet proof &….. OMG u tew funny!!!

• Abbydit September 3, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Kokolet…am tripping for you infact what more do you desire in koko mobile….its got anti-malaria pills in it.

• Rare Gem September 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm

LOLLLL,KOKOLET U NO TRY!

• Charles September 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I take it that Koko water will be made from cokonut. Ialso have some idea for D’banji like koko generator, koko Okada, koko Condom and the good old proven koko fragrance. Kudos to the bobo.

• g5 September 1, 2010 at 5:10 pm

well, i dnt think this will sell at all except for pple dat use china fones who will be excited to see dbanjs pic on their fone. except he will do smthng dat calls will be almost free on the fones, then pple can just buy it as their second or third fones, plus it has to be like 5k cheap.

• Dee September 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Love D’banj’s business mind but this phone na China all the way. They coulda looked fior something that didn’t look so plasticy and cheap. Hopefully, the price complements the cheap look sha. It will definitely, literally be on the “streets” .
    Wa

• niyoo September 1, 2010 at 8:47 pm

nice 1… good to see him build a brand for himself; little drops! who knows, kokoberry might be d next level.
    well done my guy :x

• Udechukwu Nonso Osita September 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I think it’s great that Dbanj is expanding his territory. I love his creativity. I’ll be on the lookout for the phone’s release.

• whyudeyvexisiturmoney September 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

makes plenty sense.

• tosyn September 2, 2010 at 10:00 am

sign me up!
    want one
    pink

• If September 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

Nigerians (some), una no go dey happy say d’banj (dapo) dey create employment. If una no wan buy—– south africa, namibia, uganda, tanzania, kenya, mali mozambique, burundi, swaziland, ghana, togo, former zaire republic, egypt, morrocco, senegal, sierra leone, benin republic, burkina faso, albania, romania, uzbekistan, slovania, russia, china even japan will buy… serious

• Lagos Boy September 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Excellent point my friend, Excellent point…

• Chantel September 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm

As in seriously????Im so not feeling the phone!!I have a lot of respect for D’banj…I mean his music is tight but I think he should keep his day job!!Koko lounge sounded alright but there is a slight bit of tackiness to koko-mobile??u need to change ur PR guys except of course your target market is ur target market…if u know what I mean!! Love ur songs tho but I think dats it for me! Cheers bruv!

• Lagos Boy September 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm

No we don’t know what you mean… Please explain.. Or maybe his target market is the other 90% of the population that can’t afford high end stuff??? Or maybe customers from the surrounding countries that are not of elite status but still want to feel among?? What is the population of Nigeria again?? how many in that population can afford high end things?? This phone is a cheap phone for basic everyday people and it is a lovely idea… Even if he gets 20% of the population to buy this phone at 3,000 naira he would have done well..

• gaf September 3, 2010 at 5:13 am

koko set the pace…lets encourage him

• Chantel September 3, 2010 at 8:40 am

K Lagos boy, I figure you are one of D’banj’s PR guys…what is D’banj’s image exactly?+what kinda phone do YOU personally presently sport?? Im not dissing him-like I said Im all about his music but for what Im saying is d fone dont fit with the image he’s come to be known for….he wants to go the way of the 20%?? Starcomms and Nokia 3310 already has that end covered darling!!!lets get it right k??next…..

• vincent September 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm

We need more of D’banj in Nigeria, him dey represent.

• Lagos Boy September 3, 2010 at 4:00 pm

No I am not one of his PR guys, But I know about the Phone deal very well.. His music and image is liked by all people, its not just the elite.. So are you saying that an affordable bottle of ciroc at the liquor store is bad for puffy since he claims to drink Ace or Moet or What have you?? No my dear, you market products to the mass for a high yield in return. Rich folk’s do not like to pay for sh*it anyway… And if you claim that Nokia and whoever else have 20% already, then there is still 80% left, which maybe only 10 to 15% of that are of elite status and don’t need this phone, What does that leave you with my dear????????
    I have an Iphone and a BB, This phone is not for me, But I will sure as heck buy a few for my Gateman and Driver and possible his family for Christmas, I think you should too, They will love you more for it.:)

• Lentini September 3, 2010 at 4:34 pm

U dey mind Naija people. Dem never make anything or create any business idea for their entire life but them dey knock person wey come up with excellent idea. Naija people always quick to put their own people down with every chance they get. The BB you guys are all yelling is also made in china so pls wake up. now selling a phone that close to a million people in Nigeria can afford makes more sense compared to a phone that maybe a mere 100k people will buy. out of that 100k many fools will still think dey can not carry a koko berry cos it might be razz to dem. hate it or love it he will still make millions from it while una go dey die with hate. If dis was a diddy, Jay or even lil wayne idea stupid pple will be all over it.

• AY'Evagrin September 7, 2010 at 11:17 am

”Lentini”
      you said it all dont mind 9ja pple they don’t have the clue of what they are actually saying, this guy is making out something i suggest as ”absolutely brilliant” ideal im a BB users and i don’t see the dig in it, mostly all product are made from asia(china rather) so whats the point? he might bring the better quality phone for everyday people in nigeria(lower class n d poor) to me this phone will blum up and even though i live here in the states,once its out i’ll ask my cousin to get me one :) hate it or like it he will make is money””BUDDIES””..PEACE

• Chantel September 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

K u jus made it clear..for d gateman n driver..yeah!!dats exactly wat I’m talkin bout..wateva u say bruv..no hard feelings..u r a terribly loyal one n dats cool..still hate d koko fones tho+d helps at mine av theirs so thx!!Cheers

• anatomy September 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm

dbang 2 me koko undies would av been legendary………u’ve got a mass appeal wit d ladies,that is what u should leverage on..something dat will keep appealing to d majority of ur fan base which r d ladies

• tobypaul September 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

koko mobile! thumbs up bro,…i feel u

• i dey feel u September 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm

dbanj is making his money u people are taking kapish abeg dbanj go on na so jayz take start b4 u kno it u gurls wnt let him rest

• adenco September 27, 2010 at 9:06 pm

To all haters, wetin una PAPA done carry do for life? she u wey dey talk done get bb? this is a nigerian doing something innovative, lets join hands and make it worth it, dagrin died before he was respected and appreciated, must dbanj die before his koko mobile gets the best of attention? he called it KOKO MOBILE not a kokoberry, are you saying he is daft for thinking of a mobile? he hasnt made it a priority for you to get so why the fuss???? still got more for you haters. its better you keep your shitty fingers off your keyboard instead of downgrading any one here.
    DBANJ KUDOS!!!

• Emmaneul James November 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Am really impressed about Dbanji and how intelligent he is in the Nigeria music industry, i believe he is the best i have ever seen..Pls keep the good work and God is going to help you out..Love ya hommie
    from
    Nolly
    nolly506@yahoo.com

• dammy December 30, 2010 at 5:12 pm

nice initiative, and i’m loving the way he’s thinking.@ least would alongside many things give nigerians employment oppurtunities. let the senators and other big politicians invest their salaries only,not to talk of loot and lets see if naija wouldn’t be better country. with the help of good governance.

• oye January 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm

come exibit d koko mobile at d student trade fair.were u can sell 2 student and general public.venue unilag sport center(unilag)

• oye January 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

my contact.08028482421

• soji soeni February 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm

King of Showbiz…D’Banj
    Show (one word)
    biz (one word)

• T March 18, 2011 at 5:21 am

WOW!!!!!!!! Dbanj I am so proud of you … Kokomobile what a good investment idea… By the grace of God I am definitely going to get mine either the black or the white one. May the lord Jesus continue to bless the work of your hands Dapo aka Dbanj . Love ya buddy.

BTW the comments of critics and haters are needed for success. Some people would never recognize a good thing even if it is right in their face. What a shame.

• Tbabe March 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

I don’t get it while black don’t value what they have, encourage this guy in order to get something better, everything is gradually, they can give birth to you today and you start going to school. Please my Koko Man keep-up the good work. God bless you

• Juilet nd tracy April 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Dbanj no mind dem all wey dey talk stupid words. Na God go punish all of dem 4u. Infact u go stil make koko television. na dem den go no say u too 2much and God dey wit u. Guy u r born 2make it in life so don’t even answer those animals. We dey ur back, carry go my guy. Infact snoop dey use am wen he fit buy 100 of bb storm, ipad, apple phones etc talkless of small boy wey no fit buy ipad 4 dere houz girl n gateman. Lagos boy thks jaré u too much. 4u Dbanj no 4get BAYO-DEJONWO. We love u. 4every product u manufacture we dey dere 2buy n i promise u shame go catch all ur enemies soon.

• Odewusi olaniyi October 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm