Posted on Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 at 7:02 AM

By Atoke

As part of our 6th anniversary celebration, and in line with the BellaNaija ethos of entertainment, information and positively impacting lives, we are sharing 6 stories of real people who have been dealt with some of life’s unexpected cards. In spite of these challenges, these people have found the strength to pull themselves up and trudge on and are willing to encourage others going through their own issues. Life is a roller coaster with its ups and downs and twists and turns. For Nike Oyetunde, the girl-next-door, she slipped and fell and with that fall came a discovery that she had osteogenic sarcoma. The realization that at 20, she was going to have to live without her right leg was overwhelming. We sincerely hope that you are inspired by her story.

I’m an extrovert and I’ve always been this way. I went to school very close to home so I’d come back, hurriedly go through my homework and join the boys outside at playing football. I’m an only child but I never really felt it because I always had an aunt or uncle around so it was fun. I was never really lonely.

My mother was the disciplinarian and she didn’t take any chances with me. She scolded me as often as I deserved even though I think she over did it sometimes. Primary school was at Command, Bonny Camp and then secondary school was at Queens College, Yaba.  QC was a great experience and after that it was off to Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye.

My Life Changing Experience
Everything was seemingly going on as planned. While I was at Uni, I came home for weekends and on one of those weekends,  a tanker came to supply water.  So I brought out water barrels for the water and when I was almost done, I slipped  and landed on my right knee. The pain that shot up my body was so excruciating I screamed for help. My dad ran to help me up. The pain subsided after a little while because I took a couple of pain killers and then I went back to school.  When I got back to school, the pain came back and I had to come back home. The doctors said I had a blood clot due to the fall and they had to drain out the limb. I went back to school but my condition kept deteriorating. Another x-ray revealed that the clot was still there and at this point I was referred to the National Orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi.

At Igbobi, I got the news that rocked my 20 year old world! I was diagnosed with Osteogenic Sarcoma (a malignant bone tumor) and I was told I was going to have to amputate my right leg in order to save my life. I was in my second year at the University and I was going to have to take off my leg?

I was devastated… in fact, there are no words to express how I felt. Unfortunately for me the doctor that informed me was totally without emotion. He had broken the news to me on a weekday and was planning to book me for a surgery a few days later. I was confused and in my mind the doctor didn’t know what  he was saying because if he did he wouldn’t have said it in such a harsh manner. My dad broke down and wept uncontrollably when the doctor told us. It took me over about six months of excruciating pains, agony and other medical opinion before I finally agreed to the initial diagnosis. I  couldn’t accept the diagnosis. I even tried the trado-medical route. I guess I was in the denial phase at this point. Nothing worked.

A lot of people, friends, family deserted us. I mean, even people I considered relatively educated and informed ran away. Some people said they thought it was a contagious infection or even a curse. I even heard that it was probably the handiwork of someone as a repercussion of my seemingly bubbly self. My limb was eventually amputated in UCH, Ibadan I woke up that Saturday morning asking for my dad.  What I felt was relief. I didn’t feel any pain, in fact I felt lighter. The first time I got out of bed I was afraid I’d fall down  didn’t feel pains, I felt lighter. The very first day I got out of the bed to walk was so strange. I thought I was about to fall, I obviously had lost my balance but it felt so good to be out of bed.

Next stop was chemotherapy. I knew at that hair loss was one of the side effects of chemo but it was so heart wrenching when on my birthday I was losing so much hair. I was always crying. A part of me wondered how I was going to hide my hair loss.  My friends had a surprise party for me in the hospital and it was so much fun. I saw people I hadn’t seen in years and there was so much food and there was lots to drink.  The next few weeks were gruesome. I had become so lean and my skin color had turned extremely dark. My skin was so tough that whenever my skin got pricked for a blood sample I wouldn’t feel the pain. I was always nauseous and had lost my appetite. I relied on Hollywood gossip to keep me entertained while I was in the hospital.

Financial and Emotional Support
Money was a huge issue. It reared its ugly head at every point but somehow every time God always provided. I remember this particular day when my folks informed me that all we had was  ten thousand Naira and they were going to get a drug which cost exactly N10,000. Barely two hours later, some people came to see me with different money filled envelopes. God has always used different people to bless us at different times and six years later we’re still standing by HIS grace. A lot of people called to encourage me and it was amazing. Even people I didn’t know would just randomly call me up to talk to me, to encourage me. I must confess I went through really difficult times. I would literally just break down.I look back now and wonder how I coped through those difficult times and I must say that my parents were my primary source of support and then my friends and then members of my campus fellowship.

Living with my prosthetic leg
I had moved around for about a year with my crutches and I think that prepared me mentally to welcome a prosthetic limb. I got one prosthetic limb. It was made here and fitted here in Nigeria with some some imported parts. It was a misery. It was really uncomfortable  and I knew I had to get another one but the issue of money came again. Walking with it wasn’t easy,even though I had briefly taken some physical therapy classes. I got another limb fitted abroad and even though it would never ever feel like nature’s own,I am very appreciative and always look forward to learning new things about my limb.

Day to Day Survival
In an environment like ours, it takes extra work to walk with your head held up high. How do you explain the fact that a right thinking person would deem it fit to spite my mom with the fact that her only child is an amputee? How do you come to terms with the fact that public places don’t have specially reserved parking or spaces for people with disabilities? How do I explain that getting into a bank or a building where you hope to transact business or just even need to be, is  not accessible to people with disabilities. I know we’re slowly waking up to the realities of people living with disabilities in our society but the pace is slow.

There are a lot of people who are stigmatized. Imagine, where an individual was born with a congenital disorder and lost the use of either their spinal cord or limbs and as a result of that their family didn’t think it fit to send them to school. The harm has been done from the closest and strongest agent of socialization. It takes a whole lot to fight this self demeaning thoughts. I have decided to ‘forget the things behind me’ , forge ahead and break grounds regardless. It’s a fight I must contend in my mind daily and through my actions decide to ignore trivial issues and face much more important ones. We all have our individual struggles, and must resolve to defeat them. My faith has enormously helped me,I know for a certainty that behind this struggles,there lies greatness and influence.

Final words
When our personal struggles (in its varying forms) come, it may only seem like your world would end, in fact you’ll be convinced that your world is ending but you have to decide to fight to live your life to the fullest. You will live. My life hasn’t ended and yours wouldn’t either. I haven’t even started on this success journey, but I know am getting there with hard work and God. Don’t give up, never do!

Live your life like its the last opportunity you have got.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 110 Comments on “BN at 6 – Our Stories, Our Miracles: Nike Oyetunde Lost Her Limb But Not Her Shine! Overcoming Sarcoma & Amputation, She’s Living Her Life Like It’s Golden”

Comments
    • @_Iyore August 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM

You go girl! keep smiling!

• i dont know what to call myself lol August 1, 2012 at 7:22 AM

wow! thank God for you and yeah im the first person to comment, i have less wahala and yet i m still complaining :( God bless you for sharing your story, i hope you feel better now xoxooxoxo

• Lafunky August 1, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Inspiring post!! May the Lord continue to be with you and your families.
      I previously read a post on BN about issues of disabilities in respect of the environment in Nigeria and not to talk of social constructivism that people have about people with disabilities. In Nigeria, some people use demeaning words such as ‘handicapp, abnormal” to describe ppl that feel are not normal. Gosh! When is the change going to happen? Maybe a prominent politician needs to have a form of physical disability before it will be addressed in our beloved country.

• Fz August 1, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Omg….i must confess i shared a few tear…….i like your fighting spirit,it just opened my eyes to appreciate God more cos sometimes the things we battle for isnt what we should….i am inspired.thx BN

• Jhaye August 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

SMH!! “Shared a few tear”? Really?! Honey-child, it’s “shed a few tears”.

• Finolee August 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

@Jhaye, i am sure she made a mistake..that is not the point of this story!!Abeg drop d mic jare!

• ameenah August 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

relax, read the story and …….

• because i say so August 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

ma’am, pls read the story and stop playing english teacher.

• Iphie August 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

wow! I thank God for you. You have inspired me to always look on the bright side. May your testimonies NEVER END.

• Judith Irenoa August 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Hmmm, so inspiring! What a brave young lady. Wish you all the best in your endeavours.

• Wande August 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

i hardly cry, even when i lost my dad i almost never shed a tear but after reading this post, i couldnt help but cry…i thank God for this this strong spirit…May God make u stronger everyday and give you a man that will LOVE you and take all your pains away.

• Annnaaa August 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM

What a testimony! God bless you for sharing α̲̅πϑ take you †☺ greater heights!
      I am impressed, this happened in naija… There is a lot of room for improvement for nigerian doctors o! God bless Nigeria

• Berry August 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM

#sad face# I am so touched, I just put my self in your shoes and tried to imagin hw I would have felt on the day you were told. God knows best my dear and the Lord is your strength.

• no 1 August 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Go girl! so proud of your mentality! you were born to inspire others, and i’m glad your doing just that!

• BIMBY August 1, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Woooow! Nike, may all ur aspirations be met IJN. It is well with you dear. God bless you. Thanks BN for the post.

• sanni opeyemi August 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM

speechless!!!!!!!!!!

• Fum August 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Extremely, proud of you dear and feel so inspired to face my own challenges… May God make your path to success easy and use you as an instrument of positive change in our society..amin. Thanks for sharing your story

• Princess of Zion August 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Wow! Nike you are a huge inspiration! God bless and prosper you! I pray that all of your expectations and dreams will come to pass! Amen!! Your promise is indeed greater than your pain.

• Adedoyin August 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Love your spirit girl and i am truly inspired with your story…Everything is gonna be alrite ok! just keep looking at the bright side of life….*hugs*

• Inebaby August 1, 2012 at 9:03 AM

So inspiring! Remain blessed my dear.

• Show some love August 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Wow, I thank God for you. Every disapointment is blessing. If not for the fall you would not have found out you had the tumour. God loves you and saved your life for a purpose and reason. You are going to be great. The sky is just the beginning for you. Thank you for sharing yoru inspiring story. God bless you

• Hadassah August 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM

*teary eyed* God bless you for being an inspiration.

@BN, you guys totally rock!!!!!!

• olayemi August 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM

this story just reminded me of God’s faithfulness, you made me admire HIM better. god bless you Nike. god will surly establish your destiny

• Anon August 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Very inspiring. We all have a lot to be thankful for and then God for that. May God continue bless you and perfect every good work he has started in your life

• Lami August 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

The Lord is your strength…this is so inspiring.

• Fola August 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

OMG, no wonder she looked so farmiliar to me. I went to QC and OOU.

God bless & keep you Nike. You are truly an inspiration.
      Here I am, brooding and feeling beat up this morning coz I lost my Mum in May this year and my church says my scheduled wedding cant hold this year anymore. They said i have to wait till next year, which am not finding funny coz body no be wood and am tired of living with my sister and being mistreated by her and my other siblings. i just want to be free with my life. I guess what i consider a “problem” is not even an issue when compared with what other people are going thru.

Your story has inspired me to get up and be thankful for God’s many blessings in my life. If life gives you lemons make lemonade out of it.

Thank you Nike. Thank you BN

• Ayaba August 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Wow! Thank God for your life, may you continue to be under his shield, God bless you, amen.

• Ginika August 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Very inspiring my dear, as you said greater influence and success lies ahead.

It is sad that in Nigeria people are stigmatised about things they dont understand, very sad.

• ese August 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

i never post nyfn on websites or wat not but for u i ll, u r strength in all its glory. People wake up evrydy and complain about d most crazy tns, myself included, yl there r odas gng tru real stuffs. I am rili proud of u 4 being a champ all tru d ordeal, u ve com out a winner girl. The sky is jst ur strting point. Un2 higher grounds….xoxoxo

• Traditionalbay August 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM

May you find grace for the days ahead. keep winning dearie!

• Sylvia August 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Truly i join Lami in telling you…….the Lord is and will always be your strength!!!! Go gurl

• engel August 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM

May God bless beyond ur widest imaginations. Thanks for sharing. really inspired.

• Laiza Lounge August 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Very inspiring story. May God continue to strengthen you. God Bless u. I need to tell my own story soon.

• praisy August 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Chei. Imagine how we complain and murmur when we go through some trivial issues and challenges in our lives. here is a girl who has gone through all these and STILL has a reason to thank God and inspire others. May the God make his face to shine uopn and be gracious unto you. May you always find reasons to give GOD praise in in JESUS NAME. Thanks for sharing. God bless you real good!

• Esther August 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

It really touches me so bad. God will do everything well.

• patience. August 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

am really inspired by this story… in a nut shell there is no limitation in life. go girl!!!

• Couture By Makioba August 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM

OMG….

• ella August 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Inspiring ..God bless you I have a brother whose leg was also amputated in US (Cold rendered it useless) Its not been easy accepting it..But I thank God for you that you have risen above the challenges

• christy August 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

*Tears*pls add me, wanna be ur friend.269A05E5

• iya oloja August 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

erm…so you’re assuming she uses a blackberry? why do a lot of Nigerians do that?

• LOA August 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Nike, God bless you! He has kept you and will continue to keep you, prosper you and make you a blessing to our generation. He will give you beauty for ashes, the oil of joy and gladness for all the pain you’ve been through. Thanks BN!
      I should stop complaining and be thankful!

• Gyann August 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

May your strength increase by the day dear.

• Eugenia August 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

so inspiring dearie…..d good Lord will continue to strengthen you. bless u in all your endeavours. And make u a blessing to ur family and generation in Jesus name. i love u.

• anna August 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

very inspiring story, God will continue to be with u and bless u.

• sunshine August 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

tanks for sharing your story Nike, it takes a lot of courage to go through what you did and determine not to dwell in depression based on things you could not control.
      BN,tanx for sharing all these inspiring stories, they really encourage me especially when i wanna throw pity parties for meself! keep up the good work.

• portable-oge August 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Gods grace Nike,hv a similiar experience with my right hand just dat it wasnt amputated. But its very hard living with stigmatization but as u said,dias always a reason to thank God,Mine happened in pri school and despite all odds n dose who said i woudnt make it,am a graduate and am working,all glory to God!!!

• PJ August 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Thank you for sharing your story. May the Lord almighty continue to keep you and all of us too in Jesus mighty name. Amen

• TobechiDaniel August 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Oh Nike, you are so bubbly and a fighter. I give you a standing ovation:)God Bless you,girl.
      On another note, was there a second medical opinion? Amputation is a huge medical decision, were there any other consults and tests carried out. Did the doctor consider chemo before amputation?Bone marrow transplant?I don’t know the answer to all these but I absolutely believe that a second opinion is ALWAYS necessary in medical life-changing decisions such as this.

• onut August 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Tobechi, what is the point of your post?

• onut August 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM

My advice: If you don’t know much about a topic, hold your peace. Bone marrow transplant for osteogenic sarcoma, too funny. And yes, i do know a thing or two about the medical practice ;)

• onut August 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

And did you observe that the initial diagnosis was given at Igbobi, but the surgery was done at UCH? That should demonstrate that she indeed seek other opinions. Sorry Nike, this should be about you but my pet peeve is people practising medicine after death when they are not really equipped to.

• Cutey55 August 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

sooooooooooo inspired by u dear.

• D!D! August 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Nike!!! I will “box” you. You made me cry!!! “Bubbly” personified. You were an inspiration to Uwem and I at school. I’m glad I met you and thank you for sharing your story. The good Lord continue to bless you.

• Essy August 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Wow!! God bless u sis, U just made me realise how blessed I am. I complain and moan about everything, but after reading your story and how strong u are still, I feel so thankfull and I pray God continues to be your strength and take u to places beyond your wildest imaginations.

• Finolee August 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

You go Nike…may you continue to shine

• NKELLY August 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The lord indeed will continue to be your strenght and see you all the way

• kreamy August 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

The lord is ur stregth dearie. May his grace be with you and your family

• Oly August 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Sometimes, l think that l am carrying heavy load than others but this have made me know that mine is little compared to what others are passing through in life.Just like my pastor will say that gold goes through fire to come out better, now l thank God in all situations for l know that He never fail n will never fail me. Thank you Nike for sharing your story with me, God bless you.

• alexie August 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

May d good Lord continue 2 bless u and ur family, It is well hun

• Chattyzee August 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

God bless you! Can I just add that she is my name sake? lol

• Tee August 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your story, am truly inspired.

• Funmi August 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM

May God continue to uphold you.

• Toyosi August 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM

U have a wonderful personality. Some would have seen this as an opportunity to stay down and sulk for the rest of their lives but you haven’t. May God keep you.

• konnie August 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Love and God bless you. Not complaining about anything today. You’ve got a beautiful smile. Stay blessed

• Naveah August 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Continue to keep God first, Nike and He will continue to see you through from grace to grace. May your testimony continnue to inspire people to know the Lord and what He can do in their lives.

• Ndidi August 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

What an inspirational young woman. She is destined to have a huge impact on others. I’m so honored to have had a chance to read about her via BN. Thank you.

• ayo August 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Nike,it will be an honor if u can add me as a friend on facebook,my name is ayomidamope adejola.pls I will appre8 it.Guess see it as an autograph request from a fan.God bless

• Anon August 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

When the question is asked, who inspires you? Many people name famous people. Me, I name people like Nike that are not famous, but are fighting everyday for their life. Their strength, fight, perseverance, faith is truly inspiring. I pray, God will continue to bless you and give you the faith to continue to hold on to HIM.

• zoomzoomzoom August 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Very inspiring story, Nike! Almighty God will continually strengthen you in Jesus name,amen.Thanks for sharing your story.

• ofilispeaks August 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

keep rocking! your story is an inspiration and hopefully will be used as a force to fight and push for rights for the disabled.

• seyram August 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Is it ok to say I love you? Love your spirit. You keep going, my dear. There’s no way you’ll miss your way with this attitude, as long as you’ve got God on your side. Salute!

• iya oloja August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

This is so inspiring…i cannot even imagine what you’ve had to go through…and like others have mentioned, its amazing how we get worked up over trivial issues…God bless you my dear.

• beautifully me August 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i was in law school with her, and never for once during my year there did i see ha frowning, she was a joy to watch. i was never her friend but we shared common friends and she would always be the first to say hi. watching her from afar, she taught me to be grateful for everything i had. i remember going to watch a movie with her one night and being locked out with our friends, she was the happiest of the bunch.

• sweetestp August 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Nike, you are such an inspiration. You have been through so much early in your life, yet you are strong, positive, and full of life. May God bless and reward you exceedingly for your unwavering faith.

• omolere Agoro August 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Go girl God is your strength

• Lulu August 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Stories like this make u appreciate life better…No matter how bad you might think your situation is, someone elses’ is worse and most of all you can get through with it wiht determination and confidence

• @ajiriavae August 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM

It’s always nice to read about people who do not allow events and challenges stop them. It would have been so easy to just give put on life and depend on her family and friends for sustainance. I’m really happy for her.

• Amber August 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

In this world,when u face so much tribulations,look up to God cos people will desert u.Keep being inspired girl.those ones saying all sort only knw about yesterday but don’t even know a bit about tomorrow.they will pinch themselves very soon.@ fola…don’t worry before u know it next year is here..hv been in that situation before,just look at the bright side of life.

• Mz Socially Awkward.... August 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM

You, dear lady, have inspired so many of us just by telling your story and I can see you’ve inpired even more of us who seem to have known you at some point in your journey or the other.

May God continue to use you His blessing to many and may He always remind you of His great love and plans for you. May the sky be your starting point as you’ve made the firm decision to fully explore this opportunity of life which you’ve received from God, even as you continue on your journey. If Jesus tarries, may the journey of your life continue until a very fufilled old age, you will not suffer lack because of what has been taken from you but will run ahead of your generation. May the latter be greater for you than your former ever was. And I pray that in everything, more Grace and more of His Glory abounds towards you. Amen.

• cyndy August 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

may God continue to keep u and strengthen.ur story made me value life better,tnks for sharing.

• adaora onyekwum August 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM

wow Nike GOD BLESS YOU …we were in the same economics class in QC…..You my darling are my inspiration

• olujareog August 2, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Inspiring…totally, utterly inspiring. Was surprised when i saw ur name, read the preamble of the article and then knew no one could do justice to it but u. Met u in uni, and even though we werent friends then like we are now….back then i followed ur story closely and felt devasted when i heard about the amputation…..remember the day we came to see you (myself and them bolaji and dayo)? I really cudnt say much, cuz there were a gazillion thots running through my head……nevertheless, you have overcome and thas d important part and u might not know it, but u inspired hundreds back in uni and now thousands by sharing your story!! This is surely the beginning of your success story…God just stated with you……

• austin August 2, 2012 at 7:41 AM

wow…. Na we wey no get disabilities dey complain pass…. God ! I love dis pretty girl o. No one can ever understand wah dis gurl and many other disabled people go thru everyday. Wow, i dnt even knw d rite tin to say. May God continue to bless u and ur family. Fank God for ur life sweedy

• ojay August 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM

no 1 can ever imagine what u went tru but my joy is the fact that u refused to be defeated. you are an overcomer and the joy of the Lord shall continue to be ur strength.

• kelly August 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

u are indeed marked for greatness!

• kay August 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM

big ups to you Nike.

• ajibola akapo August 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

wow!!! nike. i am so proud of you,this is jibola, taiwo okunowo’s room mate.. yes we heard a lot of stories then in school but when taiwo and i met you before we left school then.we realised that u are a wonderful person! mehn i am happy to see that you are doing great! may God continue to bless and keep you and your family. you will continue to shine my dear.

• kenny August 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Wow!thank u for sharing ur story Nike,u made me to b more grateful to God for all I av had to go tru which is not compared to urs.you r my inspiration and May God continue to strengthen , bless u and use u more for his glory.keep shinning gal!

• of course August 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM

honestly i am so touched!

• ijeoma August 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

wow!
      Nike!!! cant believe you went through all this. I had no Idea!
      I’m glad we shared those years in QC together especially Obong dorm2 cos now I get a chance to say “I know her,she’s my friend!” What a beautiful story. truly inspiring!

“My father’s hands will never cause his child a needless tear”….an excerpt from a hymn I truly love, a reminder that everything that God lets happen to his children, happens for a reason. I know that your life will have many testimonies yet….you have only begun your shine
      God bless you love.

• Brendz August 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

i was in my final yr when i heard this story, in the same school and i dismissed it as gibberish. and now to see and read that it was true! dear Lord Jesus!!!!!!

May God continue to keep you and \Bless you and may you continue to inspire others…….

BN, How can i get in touch with her?

• TOV August 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I never comment on blogs etc but cldnt resist in this one maybe it’s coz I know Nike or coz I experienced smthn similar. A few years back my cousin fell while playing football, his arm hurt a lil he took pain killers and all was ok. The pain came back n a few years after he was diagnosed wiv cancer of the arm. Amputation was the only option and he refused, all pleas for him to do the surgery fell on deaf ears said he cldnt imagine life wiv only one arm. He battled with the arm, by the time the pain became unbearable it was too late for amputation-the cancer had spread towards his heart. We watched him go thru the process, loss of hair, less smiles etc we lost him earlier in the year. When i hrd the news of his death, i was pissed and thought he made a selfish decision. Till now I keep wondering’ what if he had just done the
      operation’ but I guess it was part of God’s master plan. I admire your courage and you remain
      my number one inspiration. You made a tough decision sm pple can’t imagine what it must have been like but some of us are grateful that you did. Thanks babes

• Purpleicious Babe August 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hey hun… can I just clap for u… U said this with so much maturity and reality. I really appreciate that. I appreciate the fact that you held nothing back and mentioned the challenges and how you overcame. Do You realise what you CARRY? U carry INSPIRATION, U CARRY MOTIVATION, YOU CARRY FAVOUR AND CARRY MOTIVATION. It oozes out in the pictures and interview.

It is what it is, and you celebrate it. THAT IS AMAZING. I commend you. I know for a fact YOU WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

I agree with you that the stigma in Nigeria is appalling, but we cant allow people to hold our destinies back. We have to fight, and I must say this is an area am also passionate about, standing UP FOR THE RIGHTS OF people with special needs.

It will be great if private companies actually make the effort and individuals too. But in life, until some of us go through this journey, we don’t think of that aspects and the challenges it can bring.

MY SISTER pls rock it with no mans business, rock it and celebrate your life. WHY: Where were these people when you were going through the agony or pain? NO WHERE. so WHAT RIGHT DO THEY HAVE TO talk? and why should it affect you?

SO I celebrate your success and story and breakthrough. My prayer is God will continue to make you a testimony and he will enable you to use this situation to do and accomplish great things and make history happen.

Thanks for sharing.. God bless your family. xxx

• zen August 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM

wow may almighty God be with you and lead u thru…ur story made me cry and it also motivates me to stay strong no matter what.thanks for sharing ur story.stay blessed

• Olusola August 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

May God continue to bless and keep you. You will continue to grow in good health, may everything you lay your hands on prosper. You family shall be celebrated, God has made you an only child for a reason, you will be celebrated darling, my God will continue to make you happy, favour is yours my dear, If i continue i won’t stop. But i know you are a testimony and may testimonies not end in your family. Remain blessed love.

• Love August 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!

• Princess of Zion August 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Just did a post on my blog and saw this again and decide to read! It made me cry because someone so young and vibrant! Even more hurtful were the words of those around! I applaud you Nike, you have risen above the circumstance and I just pray for God’s continued grace, strength, comfort and favour upon you! You are truly someone who has turned their pain to power! God bless you; you are a huge inspiration. Hope you don’t mind me posting this on my blog; praying it will encourage someone.

• Bisi August 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

God Bless you Dear!!! So proud of the young woman you have become and not allowing the circumstances to deter you. Keep on living life to the fullest!!

• Nikki August 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Omg Nike, it’s unimaginable that you went through this…i remember ur bubbly self from QC..your bubbly personality still reflects in the story.. God bless your heart…I’m short of words…your story is totally inspiring, and extremely emotional…my prayer is that God will use you as a source of inspiration & blessing in this generation and many more to come.

• Chidinma August 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I love ur courage. The Lord is ur strenght

• Olayemi August 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

We have 2 things in common, Q.C and The great 600+, i only knew u from a distance in class we weren’t close bur wen i heard about this den i cried n as i read from the horses mouth now my tears are fresh again. No doubt Nike, You are going to be GREAT. You are a blessing to this generation. It is well with you Lov

• Elizabeth Oke August 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Very Inspiring story.
      May the lord continue to strengthen you give you peace.

You are already a winner for not letting this keep you down.
      As I say to people, 1st Corinthian 10:13 is indeed an amazing verse.

Our God will never let us go through situations he isn’t 100% sure we can handle.

Your bubbly personality has helped you see and live beyond this disability.

With respect to the great country of Nigeria and how they treat the disabled, I pray that things get better, and people’s mindset about disability changes for the better.

• Ajabor Gospel August 10, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Very Inspiring story.
      May the lord continue to strengthen you give you peace.
      Your bubbly personality has helped you see and live beyond this disability.

• CHARITY FELIX August 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

you are such a strong woman with so much determination.
      An epitome of inspiration.
      phil.4:13 says; it is by His strength alone that we can do ALL things.
      Its my prayer that ,you ll find His strength in ur weakness.

• Bianca August 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Things happen for a purpose,you are destined for greatness.Be still and know that he is God.I like to be your friend if you would’t mind.

• Tare August 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Oh God, 4give me when i whine…

• CHIKA August 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM

thank you so much Nike for sharing your story with. its a reminder for me why i should get down on my knees every day to thank God. GOD bless and keep you in lasting joy.

• T. Adams August 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Nike like someone mentioned is “bubbly “personified. Especially after the whole experience. It was very emotional for me though we were not close before the illness but, just the fact that I knew her with her ” two legs” and then the unimaginable. I remember I cried the first day I saw her back in school without the other leg and with her hair cut . She had lost so much weight!
      Nike is truly a very strong woman. Don’t know if she mentioned she succeeded in becoming a Lawyer against all odds.
      I’m so glad I met you babes. The way you laugh and joke makes it look like life is very simple with no challenge . You really are an inspiration dear. May God continue to strengthen you and cause you to excel.

• ninaNods November 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

U have such an amazing spirit and u are a real inspiration.Got me thinking of hw I tke things for granted.God bless u for dis post u used in showing light to others.u r indeed a success story.May Gods grace and joy never leave you.