Who Is… Burna Boy

Burna Boy is known for his smooth Patois-influenced Dance-hall crooning, and most especially for his hit singles “Abeg Abeg Abeg”, “Party Wit Me”, “Firewood”, “Touch Your Toes”, “Like To Party” and the Davido-assisted “Trumpet”.

But, he wasn’t always a party starter, Burna Boy was born Damini Ogulu on 2nd July, 1991. Hailing from Ahoada, Rivers State, he was born and raised in the Garden City, Port Harcourt; attending Montessori International School for his primary education before moving to Lagos. He went to Corona, Agbara for his secondary school education, after which, while furthering his studies in the UK, found his true calling to be music…

So, from the city who brought us such massive successes as Timaya and Duncan Mighty, let me introduce you to the christened Port Harcourt’s Next Son… Burna Boy.

Burna Boy‘s grandfather, Benson Idons was the manager of Afrobeat legend, Fela Kuti. So, it’s no surprise what his early influences to music were or the type of music frequently played in the Ogulu residence.

Burna Boy officially broke into the music industry in December 2010 when he moved back to Nigeria from London, and has since been bringing in the hits bumping speakers all over Port Harcourt. But, It wasn’t until June, 2012, when he made a cross-over to the Lagos music scene with his mid-tempo Summer Jam, “Like To Party” that the budding star got the media sphere in a serious buzz.

Burna Boy is a splendid vocalist and he oozes versatility as his unique sound blends Dance-hall, Afrobeat, R&B and Hip-Hop into one tightly knit package. His songs span from ballads full of depth, sometimes to controversial subject matter as well as, as his Dance-hall tendency implies, songs that are just meant to get you in the mood for the groove.

Signed to Aristokrat Records and, more often than not, teaming up with their in-house producer, the acclaimed Leriq; Burna Boy has been able to churn out two hot mixtapes – “Burn Notice” and “Burn Identity” back in April and November, 2011 respectively. “Burn Notice” produced the catchy anthem “Abeg Abeg Abeg”; the soulful “Sweetest Girl” featuring Leriq and the dance-hall candy, “Wombo Lombo Something”.

While “Burn Identity” showed a more mainstream quality to his music as he experimented with Reggae, some Afro Pop and more of his prevalent Dance-hall influenced sound.

Here, he jumped on Frank Ocean‘s “Novacane” to tell his sojourn into the music industry on “My Journey”; featured the likes of Davido, Korkormikor, L.O.S, P.R.E. (of Twisted Mindz), Sauce Kid and Shank, and produced such bangers as “Firewood”, “Trumpet” Feat. Davido, “Wickedest Luv” Feat. L.O.S. and “Friend Like Me” Feat. Shank.

Having created such a buzz in the industry, Burna Boy headlined his own Industry Nite this year, 2012 and has performed in a large catalogue of massive concerts, from – Rhythm Unplugged, the New Edition concert in Port Harcourt; CarniRiv and Calabar Carnival, to – his own Burna Boy Live in Port Harcourt.

Currently he’s still working on his debut album “L.I.F.E.” which stands for “leaving an impact for eternity”. But, for now, his singles “Touch Your Toes”, “Wickedest Luv”, “Trumpet”, “Firewood” and “Like To Party” are on constant rotation, #occupying the airwaves.

While his video for “Wickedest Luv” featuring L.O.S. is still in the works, here’s his Sesan-directed video for“Abeg Abeg Abeg” which peaked at No. 4 on Sound City Top Ten and peaked at No. 7 on Nigeria Top 20.

Check on it.

For more Burna Boy, you can hit him up on Twitter @Burnaboy or check his website burnaboy.com.

Photo Credits: BurnaBoy | YemojaNews

24 Comments on Who Is… Burna Boy
  • Idak August 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm

His grand dad acts like any form of music besides highlife and jazz is vile. i hope he is ashamed of his grandson’s effort? Else he is a hypocrite.

• Josh August 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm

He’s grand dad is proud of him

• Idak August 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm

That makes his grand dad a hypocrite,like i suspected.
        Boy has talent and i wish him well.

• say the truth August 3, 2012 at 12:51 am

So what was the point of what you said? Do you feel cool for calling out an old man’s views? That Burna Boy had nothing to do with?

• nelly August 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

i love dat abeg abeg abeg song.it makes lot of sense

• Josh August 2, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Nice article..I think he’s the next big thing to blow!!

• Mademoiselle August 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I LOVE BURNA BOY! Only discovered him late last year and I’ve been hooked since then. Keep up the good work! :)

• Moses August 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Nice one

• taiwo August 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm

wat is up with nigeria artist and tattoos, get on my nerve.

• Worlu Benjamin August 2, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Nice fame and fortune or my homeboy Burna Boy. But wait a minute,did you mean he was born in 1991?

• olanrewaju hammed April 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm

infact, i was also amazed @ the 1991 of a thing.

• pd August 2, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Burna burna burna

• FERD August 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

He is a very good artist..I see a lotta future in his music if it is well promoted and packaged…to meet d crowd dat wld appreciate his work…his production to is on point ..I must gv kudos to his producer ..he is doin a splendid job…Aristokrat rocks tho…about d tatoo thingy….I’m not a fan of tatoos and all…but if its aitte wit d artist..its all gud…but I cld swear burnaboy is older than me…sh***t he looks way older…I am 27 and he is 21??? Pheewww!!!! Anyway d kids gt talent tho…I must gv him dat..my favourite song still remains…”Firewood (remake and prod by leriq) and abeg abeg abeg…also produced by leriq..classics…doze songs can’t fade away to me….

• Landa Boy August 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

Burna boy i must say is a gud vocalist bt i must say a well done 2 leriq who produce d beat he is d best producer in niger delta i will vote 4 him in NDAA 2012. Burna boy nd leriq Bigup 2 u guy.

• sd August 3, 2012 at 9:03 am

Burna boy is the future !! D guy is too good

• Desire August 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

ok so i think “bend ur knees and touch ur toes, baby ma fo ri mi se nintendo” is totally razz but i still like it. *chessy grin* . me like wickedest love. I think he is going places. Waiting for him to blow. All d best

• gorjux September 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm

burna ur jst 2 gud… So much luv ur songs. (D producer dey call him liriq) big ups liriq… PH 4EVA

• HappyChiq September 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

Remember watching him perform at port-harcourt’s rhythm unplugged…the crowd was wild through out his performance and got me asking ‘who is Burna Boy?’ well, now I know! Go Burna!

• Dswag October 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Burna boy my Look alike. That dude is the next big sensation in the naija music scene. Big ups burna!!!!

• voice of reason December 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I love Burna. He’s bringing something new to naija music and we PH people are really proud. And yes he really is 21. He always had a big voice and mature look.

• Azidah June 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Burna boy is the best….he is so unique and so good so exceptional…..love uuuu

• C4 July 19, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I cannot believe Burna boy and I went to the same primary school! One moment, he’s jsut Damini (used to rap sha) and the next, he’s got me (and the rest of Nigeria) rocking to several of his hit songs. OLUWABURNNAAA 4 PRESIDENT!!! My homie fly as fuck; always has been right before he moved to the UK. Wish him best of luck in his career. PH’s right behind him all the way!! Credits to Leriq and Asristokrat Records who are doing an awesome job for my man. Success to them all!!

• ken August 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

Nice one people but check me out here : omobar.blogspot.com

• presh June 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I love burnaboy so much I could
    beef anyone that thinks bad of him