Posted on Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 at 7:47 AM

By Adeola Adeyemo

For a few weeks now, the First Lady of Nigeria, Patience Jonathan has been in Germany. There have been several media reports claiming she is ill and receiving treatment in Germany. Various ailments have been attributed for her sudden disappearance from the Presidential Villa. However, the Presidency only denied this report in an early statement, when the news went viral and has been silent about it since.

She was scheduled to accompany President Goodluck Jonathan to the the first-ever High-Level Plenary Session of the United Nations on the Rule of Law in New York yesterday. However, she was unable to attend.

The Nation reports that President Jonathan who flew out of the country on Sunday to New York had a stop over in Germany to visit his “ailing wife.”

Sources in New York and at The Presidency in Abuja told The Nation yesterday that the President made a stopover in Frankfurt from where he travelled to Wisbaden to see the First Lady.

“Yes; I can confirm to you that there was a stopover in Germany. That should be expected, especially when the First Lady has been out of the country for quite some time. The most important thing is that the President arrived New York on schedule and he is already settling down for what he came to do here.”

The Special Assistant to the First Lady on Media, Ayo Osinlu said she was expected back in the country this week but did not give a specific date.

Despite the Presidency’s initial denial that the First Lady was not ill and was only “taking a moment’s rest” in Germany, the prolonged “rest” has only fueled speculations that she is indeed ill. She was once reported to be receiving treatment for “food poisoning” and then for “ruptured appendicitis” and later for “uterine fibroids”.

In this situation, does the Presidency owe Nigerians an obligation to tell us the true state of the First Lady’s health or is it proper to continue in this hush-hush manner of denying speculations on her health and keeping mute for so long?

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 19 Comments on “President Goodluck Jonathan Makes a Stop-Over in Germany to Visit the First Lady on His Way to the UN General Assembly”

Comments
    • i need work September 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM

i need an ogent work

• honey September 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

If d president like e shouldn’t tell nigerians if his wife his sick,his is business,will dat solve d problems of looting n corruption by his government.since he wants to keep it secret.God abeg go.

• Kemi September 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I think she deserves her privacy! She’s the first lady, doesn’t mean she shouldn’t take care of herself and keep certain things personal…

• japhet esther September 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

She is just being attacked by evil spirits, but I know God will taka control

• tomeloma September 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

tummy tuck jor, resk ko rest ni

• Jess September 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Unfortunately as President and First Lady they lost all rights to be all hush hush about certain things, this being one of them. I mean we don’t need like complete daily updates but at least let us know what the illness is and everyone can do whatever they want upon hearing. This is bringing horrible Yar’adua flash backs. I pray she gets better sha.

• Really? September 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I really wish I could act like I give a damn or wish her well, but I don’t. They are so quick to leave the shore of a country they are milking dry, while my mother is stuck dying of an ailment with no funds to going abroad for medical attention. When they start investing in this country, then my wishes and prayers would be with them, but till then, she and the rest of the goons could go rot for all I care!

• ij September 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

the irony , just when our dearest president released his 155 pages of absolute nonsense which included health care improvements, he exports his wife for treatment abroad and like you say people are still dying due to lack of good health care in the country, people are lying hopeless and defeated, like animals in hospitals throughout the country .
        i honestly feel you , i really couldn’t care less about Patience as in i couldn’t give 2 about her health

• purplepearl September 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Her illness should be personal, i mean she is not the president of Nigeria so i dont see how that should be a national issue. That bn said, i wish her speedy recovery

• onyx September 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

@ really I feel you big time and understand perfectly. My thoughts and prayers go out to your mum.

• pascal September 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM

madam do and come back o. we mess your verbous misnomerisms.
      i stumbled upon this site. really gives first hand info why not check it out.
      aprokomania.blogspot.com

• sule September 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I wish all people well both rich and poor and good. Because no matter your money or oppurtunity it is only Allah that can see once health through. We all saw what happend to Yaradua.
      I wish her quick recovery and others that are not oppurtuned.

• Anon September 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Privacy? With the country’s money and the way they flaunt themselves, why should the issue be private? If it was private why all the denials and lies from Abati etc. Yes, i really don’t care. For all i know she can kpeme. Life goes on.

• konnie September 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Wish her good health.

• iamfascinating September 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I wish she recovers soon. and we can get steady power supply.

• faith September 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM

To b Sincere, I do not care!

• MEE September 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM

@Amfacinating I want to believ u made dt statement while falling asleep! Wat concerns Patience jonathans health n steady power supply? God heal her, bt trust me I care less, they lost all sense of privacy wen they moved into d villa as d first family, what is wrong wit telling d country d president’s wife is sick? Mscheeew!

• niyi September 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I wish quick recovery as afellow human being afterall otherwwise will not benefit her bad wishers anything

• sunday uto September 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM

mum,

God will make you well we love you

sunday uto