The lovely couple celebrated their traditional engagement just a few days ago (Click HERE for photos) and today, Saturday 3rd November 2012, Tolu Odukoya and Olumide Ijogun were joined together as husband and wife at the Fountain of Life Church in Lagos. The bride’s father, Pastor Taiwo Odukoya is the senior pastor of the church while her mother is the late Pastor Bimbo Odukoya.

The couple, family and friends have now proceeded to the Haven Events Centre in GRA Ikeja, Lagos for their wedding reception.

In a recent interview with Lanre Odukoya of ThisDay Newspaper, the couple shared their love story. The highschool sweethearts met at the Greensprings secondary school in Lagos;

How Tolu & Olumide Met

“It was quite a magical moment because as I walked into the class I noticed her amongst the rest,” Ijogun recalls.

“It was really a moment that I still cannot express in words. I knew it was a sign and this was a sign from God. I knew I might not have fully recognized it but I couldn’t miss it. If I can express it in words it would be like recalling how the spotlight shines on someone among so many people. I have never felt that way again with someone else.”

For Odukoya, it was an equally memorable occasion. “It all started for me when he came into Greensprings. Because Olumide is a fine boy, all the girls were all over him. I didn’t want to follow the crowd so I kept my distance and did my own thing. We knew we liked each other but we were kids at that point in time. So, I travelled away to America and came back. Then we started the relationship and we have been together ever since.”

The Proposal

Proposal was nothing dramatic because Ijogun “is a very simple guy,” Odukoya said with a spark in her eyes. “I didn’t really expect to see anything crazy because I would have said ‘this is not you’. He had travelled back from his MBA graduation. I was asking to see his certificate and he brings out two boxes and he held on to them, and I was thinking it was a bracelet or chain. My husband is very prudent with money; he doesn’t just spend money, so I thought he had gone all out this time to buy me something very expensive.

“But before he brought out the box, he was hugging me and telling me he loves me and he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. Then he turns it to me and there were two rings and he was really sweating and he tells me he loves me and he wants to spend the rest of his life with me and I said ‘yes, put the ring on my finger’. It was very simple because that is who he is. It was a precious moment.”

Pre-Marital Counselling from Pastor Bimbo

“The crazy thing is that my mum actually spoke to us in 2005,” Odukoya said. “She knew we were in a serious relationship. She called us into the church office and we came into the office and we sat down and she said, ‘This Tolu you say you like, do you want to marry her?’ And he said yes. She said, ‘Hmm, this girl, she has problems o. She gets angry. I hope you know the bad part of her?’ He said ‘Yes, ma, I know’. She spoke to us like we were about to get married in a couple of months.”

And as if on cue, Ijogun adds: “She said marriage is not a contract but a lifetime commitment.” Another laughter.

“It’s amazing that she did that because people always ask me: ‘did your mum meet him?’ And I say ‘yes, my mother knew him’. She was at first driving him away. She was like ‘she is too young, don’t come to the house’ because then we were like 13.” His excuse was always that he had come to give her some mathematics lesson.

“Yes, he used to come and teach me some math and my mum would be like ‘you people are just joking’. But then by the time we got to SS3 and we started dating. My mother was like ‘maybe my approach is wrong, maybe I should let her have a boyfriend but they must meet here in the house’. And then she started asking questions like ‘this relationship you guys are having, what do you do and what do you say?’ She wanted to be a part of it.

Chastity before Marriage

“It has been hard, it has been very difficult,” she said.

Perhaps sensing some reluctance in his bride to deal with the subject, Ijogun said: “Hold on, I will handle this. It’s not been easy. It’s either you believe in something you have faith in or you don’t, no one is perfect. We all try to do what we can do, to walk according to the will of God and His purpose so we can receive not just half of His blessings but His full blessings. So, it’s been hard but we’ve pulled through.”

You can click HERE to read the complete interview with the couple.

BN wishes Tolu and Olumide all the very best!

Lookout for more photos from the couple’s wedding on BN.

Also check out BM|Pro blog for photos of the makeup session – HERE

Photo Credit: Banke Meshida-Lawal for BM|Pro | BellaNaija

58 Comments on BN Exclusive: First Photos from Tolu Odukoya & Olumide Ijogun’s White Wedding | The Secondary School Sweethearts’ Love Story
  • Berry Choco-Latte November 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Awww. Congrats to them. I like the hairstyle.

• Amber November 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Blissful marriage al the way!

• realgist November 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

luvly………..BN we nid pics

• Mma November 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm
  • cindy November 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Lovely,d bride is so adorable…..n d groom so cute

• Trendysturvs November 3, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Beautiful couple, HML!

• Smexymiable November 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Beautiful and breathtaking! HML!!!

• Mosolape November 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm

They look so cute 2geda…….luv her dress. May God bless their union.

• Miss Fab November 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Congrats to the couple ….

• nnenne November 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Sooo! Beautiful. Wish them both a happy married life

• Chi-ka November 3, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Awww love love love their story. Not to be sad or anything, but RIP Pastor Bimbo. You’d be so proud… :) God bless their union!

• huh? November 3, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Wowwww…their relationship just remind me of mine own…have been dating my fiance since my SSS 3…Eight years down the lane and we are still on it..Nothing like old relationship..HML to them..she look clean and breathtaking..

• Chiko November 4, 2012 at 5:41 am

Hmm hope you guys are following their own chastity vow o!! Biko no forget that part sha, while saying its like yours lol

• DORYS November 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

i agree wit u chiko,follow them all the way in all things by also abstaining.

• Osezy November 3, 2012 at 7:06 pm

beautiful bride. congrat dear

• Pretty Eyes November 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Awwwwwwww!!!!!

• Lisa November 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm

HAPPY MARRIED LIFE UNA BABIES GO FINE NO BE SMALL.

• lori November 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm

HML

• Sbaby November 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Congratulations! daddy fulfil our own wedding dreams too

• sandra November 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

HML,God bless ur union.

• Lyn November 3, 2012 at 7:34 pm

@huh? hope u ave not been not giving it up cos after eight yrs he might have had it all and would look elsewhere. Pls practice chastity

• Dee November 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Awww, they look so happy and in. Love

• ladylove November 3, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I like their honesty when asked about ‘holding body’. They both seem like really genuine people. God bless your marriage Tolu and Olumide!

• dupsy November 3, 2012 at 7:49 pm

happy married life. Congrat.

• Gimmer November 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Happy married life to them, it would have been more sincere if they had been more open about the struggles, the break ups and reconciliations. I know of these cos . Trust me they didn’t date for 8 yrs straight.

• yerela November 3, 2012 at 9:21 pm

@gimmer
      My pet peeve online is people criticizing without reading properly. Bella put a link to the complete interview, the couple actually talked about their breakup and getting back together.

I found that really honest and refreshing of them to share that.
      ____
      It’s a familiar story for both – and one which they recall with much fondness. “I think we started dating, like in 2000. We graduated in 2001. Then I went to America and he went to London. We broke up in-between and, even when we dated other people, we knew we had to behave ourselves because we knew we were definitely going to come back together. And we always talked about our relationships like who did you date? What did you do? And how long were you with the person? We always knew where it was going. We were always in contact. I was always going to London for summer and we always came back home for Christmas,” she said.

• MyView November 3, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Can you read?

• Gimmer November 4, 2012 at 5:15 am

Can you take a long walk off a short bridge? Thanks

And thanks to others who pointed out the link…at least una get some sense to figure out that I was not just making stuff up when I said they didn’t date straight without seeing other people . This is one interesting relationship and I wish Tolu would write a book or something. No sex before marriage can be tough with a guy who is every other woman’s dream. I wish the couple the very best

• Jessica Lin November 3, 2012 at 10:21 pm

There was a link below for the complete interview.

• FUNMI November 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

DEFINATELY.. They must have had some struggles and breakups in their relationship.. i dated my husband for 10 years but brokeup like for 1 yr and got back and then 3 months again.. trust me.. there are always distraction….but it is said, if something is urs, it would always come back to you even if it slips away…Now we celebrating our one yr marriage anniversary next Monday..Yippeeeeeee

• Yvonne dove November 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Cute couple

• hehe(this i know) November 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Congrats!!

• Heiress November 4, 2012 at 1:58 am

Beautiful love story, no doubt they’ll be happy ever after. HML!

• CEO November 4, 2012 at 2:51 am

What we wanna know is….did you guys sleep with each other or not.loool. “Its not been easy” how do we interpret that? its not easy but its not impossible. Happy Married life sha.

• Wow November 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I don’t think that’s really any of our business though. What ppl choose to do behind closed doors is between them and God.

• Chiko November 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Exactly, chastity is not about what people will say, but its between you and God. Its none of our business. Anyone wanting to know just dey do amebo.

• Amazeballs! November 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

How is it your damn business????? schewzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• DORYS November 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm

i agree wit u chiko,follow them all the way in all things by also abstaining.
      @CEO,read their interview by going to the link,they confessed that even though it wasn’t easy they did not sleep with each other for the fourteen years they dated,that is priceless,something our youths should emulate and its very very possible

• tolu November 4, 2012 at 6:58 am

Awwwwwwww congrats my name sake all the best, una pikin go fine no be small, i love your mum sooo much even tho i didn’t start listening to her messages till she passed on…….. but she will be so proud of you dear Congratulations

• Nok10 November 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

@CEO: Thank you for echoing my thoughts! Did you engage in premarital sex ? Yes or no – no long story or evasive lines, it ain’t a trick question, lol! They are a cute couple and at the end of the day staying celebate ain’t easy but we should strive for it; we may fail sha cos we’re human but God knows your heart, strive for it anyway.

• Chiko November 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Its actually none of anyone’s business, please stop doing amebo. Its between them and God what happened while dating. Lets hope if you arent married, that you are equally doing the same.

• D Fairy Godsister November 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Happy married life you two!!!

Sorry o, if they had premarital sex or not, how will it better or destroy your life? Will you leave them be please? Kai…

• Psm November 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Congratulations to you guys… I met you guys in 2007 batch B, NYSC Camp n u kept it real since then. All the best guys n d blessings that comes with marriage shall be urs..HML

• hardey November 5, 2012 at 4:18 am

hml. wish u guyz a blissful home. i rily miss bimbo odukoya. imagine her strategies on tolu.

• Doksology November 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

Congrats!!!!
    Pst Bim would have been so proud! Thanks for sharing Tolu & Olumide, saying no to premarital sex IS NO JOKE.

My fiancee and I have had a 9yr relationship very similar to yours and sometimes I want to take my clothes off and get into bed with him but when we remember who we are in Christ and the good example we have to set for our children and others that are looking up to us (trust me, you are a role model you someone you may/may not know of), we keep our chastity vows and keep working on how to get married ASAP b4 we both explode. lolzzzzz

Anyways, HML to the couple, may God decorate your marriage with His bessings, favour, fruitfulness and prosperity.

• amarachi November 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

Congrats,,,,Bella more pix plsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Tsarah November 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Nigerians and our judgemental attitude! If she said she was chaste, you would’ve said *yimu, as the boy fine reach, she is just telling lies to save face, etc etc*! if she said she wasn’t, you would’ve opened that same mouth to say “haaa omo pastor!* please whatever they chose to do invariably led to the altar so, that is that! God bless their union!

• keechi November 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm

CHAI!!!!!The groom is FINE O!! Chineke biko bless me with something like this!!
    But on a more serious note, I wish them the BEST marriage has to offer!!

• Lolu November 6, 2012 at 2:45 am

This is an encouragement to me because I’m kinda going through the same thing (with regards to how Tolu and Olumide met). In fact it was my mum that brought this article to my attention. It reminds me of a scripture my mum shared with me a few months back,
    “He has made everything beautiful in its time.” (Ecclesiastes 3: 11)
    I wish you guys all the best :)

• HOPE November 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Tolu and olumide congratulations.you guys finally made it after a long time dating.
    Dont listen to any critic.If you guys kept yourself chaste for fourteen years, thumbs up.If you didnt who are we to judge. After all we are all saved by grace.there is none righteous.May the mercies of God surround your home and be blessed with all the fruitfulness that comes with being married

• Molua November 7, 2012 at 10:01 am

Congrats Tolu and Olumide, I wish you a happy married life and God’s blessings in your marriage.

• Gemmie November 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

Congrats to moi wonderful pastor’s daughter and her handsome. I wish you guys the very best married life has to offer.
    And for the critics, please save your negative comments for once and just wish them well. thank God they were honest during the interview. Human beings can never be satisfied…..irrespective of whatever one says/do. Finally, they made it together to the altar….and that’s what matters! congrats once again guys!

• @ajiriavae November 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I just wish her mum was here to see this……………….. Awwww.

• lahips November 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm

bella thanks alot, i can view my comments now.

• tiredofnonsense November 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

The bride is stunning….no need for too much make-up…simple and elegant. best wishes to the couple.

• classymide November 29, 2012 at 6:15 pm

any info abt the bridal train cloths…and hat

• HOPE December 5, 2012 at 11:19 pm

hmm.i almost missed out on these new pics.nice,really nice.would like to know where bridal hats and clothes were purchased from.thanks bella.

• Otunba Tayelolu Adeyemo January 17, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Wishing them happy married life, hope to see them soon in USA at Pennsylvania Avenue house of the royal family.