Nigerian Student living in India reportedly commits Suicide

Posted on Friday, January 4th, 2013 at 11:53 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Kelvin Lakoju
The Times of India is reporting that “a 28-year-old photography student from Nigeria allegedly committed suicide after jumping off the second floor of his rented accommodation in Sector 41. Police said preliminary probe suggests that the deceased, Kelvin Lakoju, was in depression. Meanwhile, the Nigerian Embassy and the deceased’s family have been informed about the incident.

Kelvin had been living in Noida since 2009 and was pursuing a photography course from an institute in Film City. Cops said he jumped off around 11pm on Wednesday. “We have questioned some people and came to know that he was upset for some reasons,” said deputy SP, S Chinappa.

“His friends said Kelvin was good at studies. Some personal problem could be the reason for committing suicide,” said a senior police officer. An FIR has been lodged with Sector 39 police station.

It can be lonely living far away from home. RIP Kelvin.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 34 Comments on “Nigerian Student living in India reportedly commits Suicide”

Comments
    • Soraya January 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I find this story weird- did he actually commit suicide or was he pushed? I am inclined to think the latter. I am also of the view that the Indian police have not carried out a thorough investigation- they say the deceased was good at his studies but he was depressed- how is that possible? I know depression is common among our people in the diaspora BUT suicide is quite rare!!!

• Drange January 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I totally agree with you!

• I've January 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Ok how is depression common among our people in diaspora?

• Let them say January 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Please ask Soraya o! May be he/she has gone through depression before. Hardly will you find a Nigerian who was born and brought up in the Nigeria commit suicide, hardly!
        RIP Kelvin.

• missy January 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

RIP Kelvin. I cant believe youre gone. Such a rude shock to see this story on here. May you find the peace and tranquility you always sought.

• Confused January 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

What on earth was he doing in India?

RIP, so sad.

• Bey January 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Studying

• Maxi woman January 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Thank you. I tire for question.

• TheLearningCraft January 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Even though the pieces of this sad news are still coming together to make sense, one thing is certain – that our institutions are not helping young talented Nigerians to stay put at home! Where could he have studied photography thoroughly in Nigeria if he had a choice to? Where are the laboratories that could have given him the proper education and exposure he needed? I could go on and on but all of us have a huge responsibility to begin to speak up about the deterioriating system of education we are currently experiencing as a Nation. Why is everyone so stuck on entertainment, fashion and lifestyle? We need more people talking about how to safeguard ours now or else we keep mute and take whatever we see but be for that the following generation will ask us questions which we will not be able to answer! A very sad one again for this young budding Nigerian. RIP Kelvin

thelearningcraft.blogspot.com

• TheLearningCraft January 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

*be sure*

• Amanda January 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Please this young man didnt commit suicide its a conspiracy and by the special grace of God the true story will come out, please think of the family and what they are going through before putting up stuff like this

• Reggie January 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Look at his facebook profile, does that look like someone who was in the least bit depressed, this story is a big fat lie and may God give his family strength to bear whatever is to come following these false publications

• Floxy January 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I reserve my comment till further notice

• Drange January 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

HE DID NOT COMMIT SUICIDE! simple as, yes we may all love the odd sensational story but let us understand that this person has a family. As for the comments on studying in Nigeria. so what if he went to India. The indian People are hiding the facts and its apalling and disgusting. I hope the truth will come out and lets put an end to this madness.For what its worth, it was not suicide.

• Blessing January 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

HE DID NOT COMMIT SUICIDE, PLEASE LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO WHAT ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE, MY HEART IS BLEEDING BECAUSE THIS YOUNG MAN HAS A FAMILY WHO ARE PRESENTLY GOING THROUGH SO MUCH BECAUSE OF THIS, before you comment i hope you all will remember that, as long as God is still on the throne, the REAL truth of this matter will come to light

• Tee January 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I smell rotten fish in this story. I lived in India for 2 years and I know how those folks can get. People get the impression that Indians are docile, meek etc. This is so wrong. You can get doused in flames at the slightest provocation and also, being black, you are looked at as being below human. You just read stories coming out of that country to get a feel for what I’m saying. Look at the poor medical female student who was not only raped on a bus but also had her internals rammed into with objects and then thrown out of a moving bus! That nation is filled with cruel folks. I hope that this issue gets resolved and the authorities get to the bottom of what actually went down. I am not holding my breath however.

• Sparkle January 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

This isn’t suicide!! He was murdered. They should better carry out a thorough investigation and bring his killers to book. R.I.P Kevin.

• Esther Nnokwam January 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Investigations should be properly carried out because I don’t believe he committed suicide. Our government should look into this urgently.

• Divalicious January 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I really support your opinion about this issue. It sounds lame and not thoroughly investigated. It’s rare for Nigerians to commit sucide.

• iamfascinating January 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

wow, so young.

• oby January 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

First they didn’t mention which part of india this happened ! Secondly the name of the higher institution he attends !! Everything ‘bt this report is epileptic ( cut and join) am not buying it ! Sorry !!!!!!!!

• Timma January 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I. Don’t believe d story and d Indian police as witnesed by their people can’t be trusted so let’s wait and see d drama unfold!RIP

• KingsQueen January 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Suicide?… a Nigerian abroad for that matter! i strongly doubt it. If they can maltreat their own people, what more an outsider… Indians are savages abeg!

• precious January 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

In as much been depressed does not warrant suicide has not solve his problems rather, he has created havoc for his family and to the innocent beings wat life could be. The police should take gaint strand in their investigation, there maybe more to his death.

• Soraya January 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

@I’ve, and @Let me say:
      No, I have never been through depression but I know many Nigerians living in the UK who have gone through depression as a result of the pressures of life in the UK. Things may function smoothly BUT I can guarantee you that life is not easy for black people in the UK. Also, the UK is a very very lonely place if you don’t have family here and people are generally not willing to help you if you have a problem. Even in Nigeria, people suffer from depression but this is not acknowledged due to the cultural ideal that Africans do not suffer from depression! In fact, depression and suicide are linked. I should point out that I am a counselling psychologist who work with people suffering from depression.

• splendid.........iyke January 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Dis is unbelivabl…………is just a total lie 2 impress nigerians n his family….b4 some body can b depressed some cetain uncomfortabl situation or beta still a trat fr a high oder which he can not accomodate………he waz pushed 2 dat or murderd………rip kevin

• fatty January 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

my dear Soraya, the UK is not the only lonely place, I live in Spain and its freaking lonely, it very lonely away from home, I have friends all over Europe who are going through the same thing , if you did not grow up here,its always difficult to adapt. Been away from home is not easy, and many people really don’t have what to go back to.

• bear January 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

People don’t die from jumping 2nd floor.

• Presheric January 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Wow i dont belive this story at all, the indians that i know can do and undo they are animals, beast. Our govnment over there should investiget this vry well before they do more.

• Nonye January 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

my dear soraya, i experienced first hand what depressions thoroughly meant when i studied for my masters degree in uk last year, its amazing how culture shocked students get on their arrival to the uk and most time eventually dropping out of school. in my school alot of Nigerians boys stopped coming to class because of the extreme pressure of foreign social systems, difference in learning system, financial limitations, baseless hostility from the citizens, loneliness (that seemed almost unnatural) etc. i can just imagine what the poor young man did to deserve this death, and being in a country where he much below the minority puts him as risk at the lightest provocation. i feel so sorry for his family…no family should ever have to experience such pain. May his soul rest in perfect peace, Amen.

• Lika Ahonsi January 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

you guys should not carry information you know nothing about and you have not asked approval from the family! I speak for the family when I say……….Remove this piece because you are hurting a lot of people.

• ben njaba January 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM

am ben also living in India, as the story goes, you and i should first ask our self how many times this has happen back in our own country and also how many times we have heard this kind of story from Nigerians living out side.hmm is a pity. Indians treats us like a child with no mother or father they treat us like outcast and our government are saying noting about it. even a baby in the womb should know that this is not ………….

• atutupoyoyo February 14, 2013 at 5:26 AM

@lika, if u say ple shld not say what has not been confirmed fine but who needs the family’s approval to carry a story about any tragedy that happens to a nigerian in diaspora? they dont need anybody’s permission pls…….and for those of u who thnk nigerians dont commit suicide or suffer depression stop fooling yourself cos we hear such stories all the time……loneliness affects anyone who goes to live in foreign country so its not anything special with Nigerians or only africans….
      we however pray that our brother was not killed and it was claimed as suicide cos india ia also a highly corrupt society like nigeria and we pray the truth comes out….may his soul rest in peace and God grants his family the fortitude to bear this sad loss….

• stephanie March 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

i would like to say DEpression knows no color or creed ,it doesnt matter how good you look when you are fighting the blues,anything can look almost impossible even life,nigerians ,americans ,anyone can suffer from it home or abroad half the nigerian population are fighting depression ,KELVIN WAS AN UNLUCKY STORY cos he never got help,i pray he is at peace wit angels .my aunt fought depression for over 10years ,we are still hoping for her