A few words that come to mind when you mention the name, Kendra Etufunwa – crazy, sexy, sassy, outrageous and scandalous. But, that’s not all she’s about.

Kendra Erufunwa is the actress who climbed into our lives with her sinister character Adanna on the M-Net hit TV series Jacob’s Cross. But, she actually started her career in modelling after a scout spotted her in the 2006 edition of The Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria. And from then on, we’ve seen her in such international magazines as Elle, Glamour and Cosmopolitan and even in a Lacoste advert.

From modelling, Kendra found a way to sneak herself into the movie industry and has wow’d us since the moment we found her. While on a holiday, she was called in for an interview by the producers of Jacob’s Cross and her performance was so impressive she ended up a leading lady in the hit series.

What really wooed us by Kendra is how shocking she never ceases to be on runways and red carpets. Needless to say that she always catches everyone’s attention with her style as she endlessly and now seemingly effortlessly, pushes boundaries.

At BN Style, we love exploring expressions through fashion and Kendra was definitely on our radar. So, in this new series of celebrity style spotlight posts, we’ll get the style scoop from the celebrities themselves. Jennifer Obiuwevbi of BN Style spoke to Kendra about her sense of fashion, and what makes her style different from the rest.

People have described your style as racy, edgy and bold. What do you describe it as?
I would describe my style as young, trendy, fashion forward and fresh. In summary let’s just say my style can also be described as ‘I don’t care about the opinion of others‘.

Kenra Etufunwa Style Focus - June 2013 - BellaNaija005

If you could steal 3 Celebrity closets, whose would they be?
None…I’m completely happy with the way I perceive style for me & my body type.

Would you say your boyfriend has some influence on your style choices? Especially your red carpet looks.
Haha…you’re funny. I don’t think anyone really influences my style. It really does depend on my mood, the occasion & options available.

Kendra Etufunwa - BellaNaija - June2013012

Can you list 5 must haves for every girl?
- Definitely a little black dress and throw in a sexy red dress as well
- A killer pair of heels
- To-die-for lingerie
- Nude pumps (very important because it makes your legs look longer)
- Statement accessories

It’s clear you’re not afraid to show a little skin, has that ever gotten you into trouble? You know – scandals, wardrobe malfunctions, disorderly conduct warnings?
I’m definitely not afraid to show some skin, because I can. Trouble? scandals? you know that if I ever did, BellaNaija would have been the first to know.

We’ve seen you rock brave colours of lipstick and daring make up looks. Can you give tips on how to wear them?
I love my dark lipsticks. No scratch that, I’m addicted to them. I think the best way to rock brave lipstick colours is first to understand your face/lips and what works for you. Also your lips need to be moisturised all the time.

Pointer: Nipple cream is very good for maintaining healthy soft lips *Thank me later*

For make-up, less is always more. You can never go wrong with simple eye liner and a great bronzer for your cheekbones and décolletage.

Knowing a lot of your skin is going to show in some of your daring outfits, how do you keep it looking flawless?
I take really good care of my skin. I drink a lot of water, take lots of vitamins, basically overdose on SPF (extremely important). I eat healthy and I work out.

You’ve won a lot of fans as ‘Adanna’ on Jacob’s Cross, would we be seeing you on the big screen any time soon?
I have been on the big screen, recently shot a movie with discovery network. The film is called ‘Inside story’. It’s a feature film which is based on the science of HIV. It premiered here, Angola, South Africa and in Washington DC. To the other question – yes, you are definitely going to see me in more movies. I’m working on some exciting new projects, so just keep calm and stay tuned.

Your character on Jacob’s Cross – ‘Adanna’ is fierce, sexy and sinister and as a result has you acting in very raunchy scenes. Do you think ‘Adanna’ has become an extension of you? And, with that in mind, do any of those scenes ever make you cringe?

Bear in mind that when you act, you take on a different persona. My role on Jacob’s Cross has nothing to do with my personality. What makes one a great actress is the ability to make a scene (whether raunchy or not) a great one. So no, no scene ever made me cringe. I get uncomfortable at first, but that’s about it.

Who are your Celebrity crushes?
Michael Ealy…Oh yes please!

Is there any fashion trend happening now that you completely hate?
None that I can think of to be completely honest.

What would you say has been your worst red carpet look?
As far as I know, none. But I’m sure there are other people out there that will have something to say.

Before we forget, your striking new blonde hair reminds us a bit of Anne Hathaway at the Met Ball. What was the inspiration for the bold change?
Honestly, growing up, I always loved to play dress up and play with my looks. I’m all about changes and I’ve never been scared of it. I’m all about pushing boundaries and I love thinking out of the box. I’ve always wanted something different from my big locks and so I came up with this. You never know, I might be a brunette tomorrow.

Let’s talk about your accessories. We see you with a lot of chain necklaces and gold earrings. Is this a preference and why? If not, tell us how you accessorize.
My chain necklaces are one of my trademarks. I love them, can’t do without them. They make a statement!

Since you’re also a Model, whose runway would you love to strut and who are your favourite Nigerian designers?
I would definitely love to strut the runway for Zac Posen. His collections are to die for. There are quite a number of really talented Nigerian artistes and I think a lot of them are really brilliant, but I’ve got to say I love pieces from Deola Sagoe.

A huge thank you to Kendra for doing this interview. From BN, we wish her all the best in her future endeavours!

Also, as you share your thoughts, please let us know which Nigerian celebrities you would love to see in future Celebrity style spotlight posts.

Photo Credits: Instagram: @K4Kendra | BellaNaija

55 Comments on BN Celeb Style Chat: “I Don’t Care about the Opinion of Others” Actress/Model Kendra Etufunwa Speaks to BN on her Controversial Style
  • nmma June 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

which vitamin biko we need to know

• chichi June 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm

that blonde hair makes her look like an anorexic baby lion…BURN IT!!!..she looks good with her weaves

• Dlapikin June 5, 2013 at 3:11 pm

ah ah ah.. Yes she too skinny. Model or not, she looks unhealthy. Just one more pound and I think she will be fine.

• ms lala June 5, 2013 at 8:11 pm

one more ke….five more will make a difference and she will be sooooooo beautiful…i swear she and kate bosworth need to be forced fed and they both will look fab….extreme skinnynes aint the biz yo

• huh June 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm

lmfaooooo!!!!

• sommy June 21, 2013 at 10:36 am

lmfao…..#dead#

• Hurperyermie June 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm

hmmmmmmmmmm okay o next please

• sarafina June 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Yassssssssss! Omg this gurl is a fashion Goddess. I follow her on instagram. Praise him! She’s goooooooood. Effortless! She sEems cocky doe. Still loves her

• iCrossMyHeart June 5, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Cocky is an understatement. No one influences her style? Yeah right. As far as you exist in this world, you are influenced one way or another byyour surroundings. She is a model, or former model, is she telling me that her concept of style was not influenced by her profession.

People who claim they do not care what others think ACTUALLY CARE VERY MUCH. They care a lot that THEY TRY TO DO EXTRA IN ORDER TO SAY THEY DO NOT CARE.

You are not an island unto yourself, so please spare us the sermon. Nonetheless, I appreciate her fearlessness.

• Mz Socially Awkward… June 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm

the pointer about nipple cream for softer lips… now, who wouda thought it? Although, I might get a few stares if I whip it out of my bag in public and start dabbing it on my smackers…

• Asaa June 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

It’s quite good. I started using it without even noticing it as I had one tube by my bedside. It’s just like vaseline abeg! No biggie.

• JOJO June 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm

”basically overdose on SPF (extremely important)”. Please what does SPF mean?

• Cutiepie June 5, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Sun Protective Factor. It is put in some body cream and moisturizers to prevent sunburn. It usually comes in SPF, 15,30,50, with SPF 50 having the highest protective factor ;)

• Specs June 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm

omo spf dey higher than 50 o. some kain skin problem go nab you doctor go recommend SPF85…hehehe. (i don suffer!)

• Omolara June 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Sun Protection Factor – basically sunscreen!

• cci June 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Sunscreen

• Martins June 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm

kul

• Dora the explorer June 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm

vitamins of life!!! and this girl was just a struggling chic from delsu! this lifeeeee! *I heard*

• cynthus June 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

yeah true, used to know her in delsu wen she once emerged miss delsu and the boooooooooom she was up der all of a sudden. hmmmmmm little beginnings

• Bunmi June 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Who is this lady? She’s trying too hard and needs a total makeover. Her style makes no sense and is unnecessarily busy. The big hair looks like a costume wig and takes away from her unique features. She looks good in the photo with the short hair. That short hair works nicely on her but a color that softens her face will be flawless.
    Her eyes and body are beautiful sha.

• mama June 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm

you obviously dont know her so stop the ranting..lol…..80% of the time she looks hot….the blonde look obviously is a wrong move and a no no

• Rukky June 5, 2013 at 1:33 pm

She’s a beautiful child

• iCrossMyHeart June 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Child? lol…I just cannot.

• comment awaiting moderation! June 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Nice,luv the last look…”Celebrity style spotlight post” is it different from “my style section”?more of this pls,if possible it should be everyday post….oh pls Agani should should be next…I’ve a thing for model,I can steal a thing from their look,blcas people always equate me as one…I got that remark everywhere I go,it has being my dream,but I can’t walk on heels!

• Priscy June 5, 2013 at 2:31 pm

plz wat is nipple cream?

• sweetie June 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

please I want to know too

• Chikaka June 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

From what I’ve read, there is the one to lighten/bleach the nipples. It’s commonly used in Asia and by models to give lighter nipples. It moisturises too. This is the one I know of; the one for lactating mothers to soothe the nipples from breast feeding.

• Funmi June 5, 2013 at 2:35 pm

She is a very good actress….always deliver her role flawlessly

• eniola June 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm

She’s cool. Ms Jaie please.

• The Real Madam the Madam June 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I’m not mad at her. Her style definitely works for her. She should def share the names of those vitamins because she has great skin.

@ Jojo, SPF aka Sun Protection Factor is what you use to protect your skin from the sun’s rays and some types of cancer. The best way to use SPF is in a moisturizer, so keep an eye out for moisturizers that include at least 20 SPF. If you’re in the hot climates, I think that 30-35 is a good range.

• truth June 5, 2013 at 3:18 pm

…….Reminds me of Miley Cyrus

• Ms Rozay! June 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

oh please! how can Kendra be talking about “her style”??? she is just a damn Rihanna wanna be. P:S she looks like a lizard with that blonde hair.

• Nora June 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm

SShe is very beautiful………I love her hair…its hard to believe she started off wif MBGN tho…

• nene June 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm

BM you’re giving this girl the popularity she soo craves. see her face..mscheww!

• MICHAEL June 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm

a little more weight and she will be cool

• Straight4ward June 5, 2013 at 6:32 pm

She needs a burger and real fast too…

• Specs June 6, 2013 at 2:37 am

She doesn’t look sickly skinny to me….what if she can’t add weight? that’s not fair….I have a friend (my former roommate, so I know for a fact) that practically lives off of fast food but is skinnier than this chick….People run their mouths telling her to go eat a burger, and she comes home sad/mad. IMHO, I think it’s best we all just mind out business about people weights….

• Nice Anon June 5, 2013 at 4:06 pm

She’s pretty.

• i no send June 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm

so the pic with daisy dukes and swimsuit is a great one abi???…lips sealed

• pynk June 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm

ok we’ve heard

• Rynyx June 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm

is dat a cigarette she is holding in the second pic???? dunno how i feel about all dis. but it is not possible not to be influenced by anybody, nobody is that independent. anyway, ur style is gud for yu.

• Mo’blezzing June 5, 2013 at 6:01 pm

with a name like Kendra….why bother?

• Demmy June 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Damn she’s so skinny, she might be that way naturally though. Love the last picture of her, so pretty and lady like but the rest look quite trashy. x

• Www.MyHairBeautyNIGERIA.com June 5, 2013 at 8:51 pm

If you live in Naija, these are the best sunscreens! myHairmybeautyNIGERIA.com

Kendra is FAB! love the beauty tips and dark lipstick

• dezzy June 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Rihanna is deceiving a lot of naija’s young so called actressed , model et al.. especially up and coming. ” bad girl image “. Why is her publicist not giving her good advise on fashion and what pictures to upload or even her manager.. too skinny to be showing such pictures,especially the one she’s posing with denim shorts, and yes you care what people think about you. that’s why you were craving for this attention and that’s why you are here, to get bella naija to keep ppl talking, try a little and be a role model abeg. Not hating cos u’ll come on this page to obviously see who is hating.. Na advise. Take it!.

• agatha June 5, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Heeeeeeeey

• madam June 6, 2013 at 10:34 am

i love her style, shes really a fashionista, but i just dont feel the blond look, she looks better with the bohemian weaves, and please so u guys know, SPF(sun screen protection) is the lower the better. so if u have serz sun burns i’ll advice you go for spf15, if you think the higher the number the better, then u’re on a long thing. the lower the number is the better it is. so that shawty saying SPF 85, o ma ga oh.

• Chikaka June 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

She looks really nice and pretty when she smiles.

• Libra June 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

all i can say is toooorrrrrr!

• ty! June 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm

she has a style but not pretty..

• junx June 6, 2013 at 3:39 pm

it because she making money from such life style so what do the public expect, she a very bad girl and I love bad girls

• Aryah June 6, 2013 at 6:53 pm

can somebody make pounded yam and groundnut soup for this lady, please?

• chidi June 8, 2013 at 7:47 am

Kendra is a Rihanna wannabe, I see how she always craves rihanna’s attention on twitter. Why u go dey lie tho. That you are not influenced by anyone.but BN who is her boyfriend?

• iba June 11, 2013 at 8:08 am

Beautiful lady. She came off as being slightly too confident abi cocky i don’t know which one to use. Never heard of her before though