Hair and how we manage it is such an essential part of lifestyle. Sahara TV’s “Africa in The City” explores the different choices a black woman has in styling her hair.

Check out the video of Tracy Thompson as she asks African women questions women in New York on what they think about hair.

50 Comments on Hair is a Symbol of Identity! Watch Tracy Thompson on “Africa In the City” – “Black Hair Matters”
  • t June 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm

We started with issues of racism, then we moved to gay rights, PLEASE I can’t bear the thought of HAIR becoming an issue. Hair means NOTHING it is only waste products from the body.
    Having being at the end of both spectrum i.e. natural and perms, I am sick and tired of women who go all “embrace your natural hair, feel confident, stop fixing weaves, do not put chemicals bla bla” I think that is very selfish. I was natural for 4 years. I had a muffasa-like head of hair. Everyone loved it, I loved it (because it gave me more versatility with styles). However, last Christmas, I relaxed my hair. Why? MY natural hair was too hard to maintain….note, I said MY own hair was too hard to maintain. I moisturized, I did everything possible …used only natural oils et al..but my hair texture is so uncooperative. One minute it is all wet and soft, the next minute, I am breaking wide-toothed combs. Morever, I was at a stage in my life where I was very busy with grad school and just could’t include hair issues on my list of frustrations. So, I relaxed it. Many of my natural-haired friends called me a betrayer (ha ha..I laugh in mandarin).
    The earlier people start realizing that people’s choices and decisions are theirs’ to make , the better life will be for all.
    I understand that there are some people who have low-self esteem and don’t feel complete without their brazillian weaves..well, too bad for them. Still, it is their life, their choice. I just hate this natural vs weaves vs relaxed hair issue. It is not even worth being an issue. Let’s stop it already.
    Will I go natural again? Yes. If I get bored of my relaxed hair look. Can I cut my hair? Yes. If it is badly damaged or if I just wanna be daring. WIll I lock my hair? Yes..it has always being my life dream..just do something permanent that will make me stop worrying about hair. Will I wear weaves? YES!!!!! If I don’t have time to take care of my own hair, if I want a different look, if I just feel like.
    Are these all my decisions to make? HELL YEAH. Should I be criticized? NOOOOO.
    To me, hair is not an issue. Whether you wanna embrace it or not, it is your own business. Sigh! I am sure some of these “critic” natural hair ladies get false lashes/ false nails etc yet, they do not see that as being wrong? Specks and log sound familiar???
    End of rant. God bless all women!

• I Rock June 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I enjoyed your reply. Black women and their hair issues are really beginning to get out of hand (I guess some women are really insecure about their hair which I think is very sad). It should not be a competition between “natural hair” vs “weaves”…just do you. As for me, I shaved the whole thing off and am rocking it like no man’s business and guess what, am still my ever gorgeous, fabulous self.

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 6:47 pm

THE FACT THAT HAIR IS AN ISSUE FOR SOME AFRICAN WOMEN IS WHERE THE INFERIORITY COMPLEX BEGINS* NEXT IT WILL BE SKIN BLEACHING ETC

HAS ANYONE ASKED THE FOLLOWING:

IF A CAUCASIAN SUN TANS, DOES IT MEAN SHE WANTS TO BE BLACK? OR IS THE DARKER SKIN COLOUR JUST THE COLOUR THAT MAKES HER COLOUR THE BEST IT CAN BE FOR HER..

WHAT ABOUT THE CAUCASIANS WHO PUT ON HAIR EXTENSIONS? WHO ARE THEY TRYING TO LOOK LIKE?

IF A CAUCASIAN HAS A BOOB JOB OR A BUM AUGMENTATION OR INCREASE, DOES IT MEAN SHE IS TRYING TO LOOK LIKE AN AFRICAN?

AS IF BLACK PEOPLE HAVE NOT HAD MUCH HARDSHIP FOR A LIFETIME; NOW, IT SEEMS TO AS THOUGH IN THE ABSENCE OF BEING TREATED BADLY BY OTHERS, SOME AFRICAN WOMEN ARE BENT ON BEATING UP THEMSELVES WITH THIS NEW ‘I an ignorant and confused’ DISCOURSE. ITS LIKE OBSERVING A PERSON WHO IS MAD, FIGHTING AN INVISIBLE SPIRIT!

BY THE WAY, STELLA DAMASUS IS WEARING HAIR EXTENSIONS AND PREACHING THE ‘love your natural hair’ SERMON!

I REST MY CASE*

• me June 8, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Gbam! I swear its getting very annoying. To a point that it seems those fighting for natural hair are the insecure ones. If you want to go natural thats your business but stop trying to impose it on someone else. We all have our reasons for doing whatever we like with our hair.

• Awaiting Moderation June 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I dont get why you sound so angry. Did this woman personally tell you to transition to natural hair?Where is anyone imposing their views on you? Perhaps there is a little truth to what the video is saying and that is what is annoying you???It is a choice for whomever cares to listen, no one is sure as heck forcing anyone.

• t June 8, 2013 at 11:23 pm

@awaiting moderation, ideally, I wouldn’t reply to your post but thank God for free Saturday time and I am also sick and tired of people like you who are myopic in their thoughts and quick to critiquing other people’s comments without giving careful thoughts to whether or not they may have misunderstood the comment. Next time, ask for a clarification.
        No, this woman did not personally tell me to transition to natural hair neither do I think she suggested that in the video. Likewise, I don’t think any part of my comment suggested I was angry at this woman. I am not an angry person. Infact I am so happy and content with life right now. My life is sooooo beautiful and I am grateful to God. While I get sick and tired of things, they don’t make me angry. I realize life can’t be seen in the same light by everyone so what do I do, I MOVE ON. Try that attitude sometime, it helps a lot. For example, when you see a comment you do not like, move on!!!
        To clarify though (and as my first statement insinuated), I was only referring to HAIR being made an issue in the first place. Soon, EVERYTHING and ANYTHING will be made an issue and stuck in our faces. While I can choose to or not choose to ignore hair related media, I get hair issues being put in my face daily here in the US (east coast) where I reside, hence my rant. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• purelily June 8, 2013 at 11:18 pm

such along history of what women go through,nice comment

• Mariaah June 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm

LOL… Sorry.. Don’t mind all these people creating issues out of nothing.. Like play, like joke hair is becoming an issue?? I read on twitter yesterday that on Verastic show(Gidilounge) natural hair type (3a, b, c, 4a, coily, curly, bla bla) was becoming an issue too.. People with wet and wavy type of hair and all others in btwn with kinks, all that were beefing each other!! What??!!

Personally, I love my hair healthy, Ive worn it short(real short) long, relaxed, natural/relaxer free, texturiser only. Now its relaxed and I want to go natural again because I actually miss my virgin hair and I feel its healthier and grows better in that state.

As at last check I have about 3/4 inches of natural hair bbut I’m nt ready to cut yet. When I finally leave the transitioning state, chop off d relaxed bit, I will still fix my weave :) no apologies.. Heck I might use relaxer for the center if i want a partition in the center or apply at the front.. Sue me!! But its mine and I will do as I please :D

• deep June 10, 2013 at 9:28 am

Verastic show is not a credible source for valuable info! Women will fight over anything, even boob/ass size. Your goal should be focusing on going natural and talking to less petty women. I have NEVER in my life heard or seen people fight over 3a vs 4c hair…. It’s important that you’re not just seeking the thrill but you’re in it to learn and love.

• deep June 10, 2013 at 9:23 am

HYPOCRISY AT LARGE!
      You think you’re making an individual statement yet you are telling others how to behave! Hair is individual but BLACK HAIR is collective, like it or not. You had your issues with natural hair, no one should judge you but do not come and start telling those promoting a healthier image and self-love for Black women to stop! You have no f***ing right to!

• Gboromiro June 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

She has made her documentary about hair. No where in this documentary did she march on the street and force people to go natural!!

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm

STELLA DAMASUS SAY LOVE YOUR HAIR EVEN THOUGH SHE HAD HAI EXTESIONS I HER HAIR!!! soooo ignorant

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm

WE MUST BE CAREFUL HOW WE APPROACH THIS SUBJECT, OTHERWISE WE MAY PASS OURSELVE OFF AS FAR MORE IGNORANT THAN EARLIER PERCIEVED*

I SAY THIS BECAUSE HAIR IS NOT THE GREATEST WESTERN CULTURAL EXPORT TO THE AFRICANS: NOT BY A STRETCH…

THEIR GREATEST EXPORT TO AFRICA AND INDEED THE WORLD IS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WHICH WE ARE NOW USING TO ABUSE EACH OTHER!!! lol! FOLLOWED BY EDUCATION WHICH MOST OF YOU HAVE ACQUIRED….AND MORE RECENTLY, SCIENCE AND TECNOLOGY/ THE COMPUTER/ THE INTERNET/ WHICH YOU GUYS ARE ETCHED OVER, TAKING ABOUT AFRICAN EVERYTHING!?!

IF A WESTERNER CAME UPON THIS SITE, HE WOULD THINK ALL OF YOU ARE MAD, TALKING ABOUT AFRICAN THIS AND THAT, WITH THEIR LANGUAGE AND ON THEIR COMPUTERS AND INTERNET.

• Godslove22 June 8, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I LOVE THIS VIDEO……Just keeping real :)

• Seymour June 8, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I really enjoyed this. Very balanced reporting. I’ll be looking out for more videos from these guys!

• who cares June 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm

hair?? have gotten over it. stop talking and get over it. black hair really matters o_o

• Geebabe June 8, 2013 at 6:02 pm

What kind of silly title is “Africa in the city”???

• NNENNE June 9, 2013 at 3:34 am

To all their own. I have been through it all but for now am rocking a low cut.. my natural hair . Do what makes you happy.

• dede June 9, 2013 at 4:12 am

My hair is retoushed. *strolling by*

• Bunmi June 9, 2013 at 4:26 am

Isn’t it funny that people are still saying hair means nothing despite spending more than half their money on hair. They feel frustrated when their hairstylist is not available or doesn’t get their desired hairstyle right. Have you also forgotten that people get judged based on the way they wear their hair? And the fact that black hair is a billion dollar business says a lot. You are making the Asians rich..very rich. Keep deceiving yourselves my people.

• Peaches77 June 9, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I wonder oo. How Is hair not an issue when more than half of the city girls in NAIJa will do anything to have foreign hair on their head, have very chopped hair because they do not believe in their hair and do not even know that their natural hair can be grown/ worn and still be beautiful, when most ppl, even now girls from the rural areas don’t believe that their wearing their natural hair can be even a beautiful alternative. This is not saying that one is not free to put on weaves, braids and all but to teach ladies that their natural hair can be lovely and also the ‘IT’ hair.

• Peaches77 June 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm

*I wonder oo. How Is hair not an issue when more than half of the city girls in NAIJa will do anything to have foreign hair on their head. They have very chopped hair because they do not believe in their hair and do not know that(how) their natural hair can be grown/ worn beautifully. Most ladies don’t believe that wearing their natural hair can be a beautiful alternative as it is widely believed that wearing permed hair and weaves is the way to look modernized. Even the ladies from the rural areas believe that wearin their natural hair isnt cool anymore. This is not saying that one is not free to put on weaves, braids and all but to teach ladies that their natural hair can be lovely and also the ‘IT’ hair.

• deep June 10, 2013 at 9:26 am

Right?! They should keep lying to themselves.

BN, I think you guys wanna educate women and I commend you on that but most Nigerian women do not want it. As Chimamanda said, “the thought of wearing their OWN hair is unbearable”. You guys can try for Africa but until these women are wearing Deepthi and Maria Domingo’s hair, they cannot be happy!
      We shall make it one day, Black women. We shall!

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 8:10 pm

CHIMAMANDA ALSO WEARS BRAID EXTENSIONS IN HER BRAIDS, AS SUCH SHE DOES NOT WEAR HER NATURAL HAIR.

I MUST ALSO ADD: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CAN MANAGE YOUR NATURAL HAIR, PLEASE STOP HATING ON THOSE OF US WHO SHED TEARS [unwillingly] WHEN COMBING OURS! [as tears will up naturally when kinky hair is pulled; incidentally, my comb bag has 3 broken combs because my natural hair puts combs to shame – FACT] I CAN ONLY SUCCESSFULLY COMB MY HAIR WHEN IT IS WET….

YES I SAID IT. [no one wants to talk about it]

I FIND THAT THOSE WHO HOST THESE PROGRAMMES ARE OFTEN MIXED IN SOME WAY, AND AS SUCH, HAVE MORE PLYABLE HAIR – YOU CAN SEE THAT THE PRESENTER IN THIS VERY CASE HAS LESS KINKY HAIR SO ITS EASY FOR HER TO RANT!
        I, ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE 100% SUB-SAHARAN AFRICAN HAIR IN THE TRUE SENSE OF THE WORD. [by that I mean hair that, when undisturbed, curls back 2hrs after it has been brushed so that it looks like it has not seen a brush in 24hrs]

FINALLY, ALL THOSE BOASTING THAT THEY WEAR THEIR NATURAL HAIR, CAN THEY PROMISE THAT THEY WOULD NEVER PERM IT OR WEAR EXTENSIONS FOREVER AND EVER?…

I THOUGHT SO!

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 9:21 pm

ALL BLACK EVERYTHING ON ALL WHITE COMPUTER/INTERNET/ ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

• newbie June 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm

And who stopped the non-asians (blacks included) from getting in on the hair business? Okay while you’re at it, why don’t you stop going to the pictures because you’re making the jews rich? And make sure you don’t buy any gold jewellery because you’re making the indians rich? And oh, I hope you don’t have any electronics in your home – God forbid that you should make any far easterners rich.

• Jane June 9, 2013 at 11:31 am

@ t,mufasa like head of hair got me laughing. My hair is unmanageable too in its natural state. And i have a full head of hair. I used to relax it once in three months. This year,i resolved to relax it twice only. I am still waiting to see how that pans out for me…

• Nigeian Diaspora June 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I just want manageable LONG hair. is that too much to ask for? I love it natural, relaxed, with weaves, in locks…. any way possible as long as it’s long. Why did God give us hair? To do with it as we please so it shouldn’t be an issue any more!

• ego June 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Una no get work.Perhaps do a documentary on Africans and their obsession with western designer clothes and bags and their refusal to exist in their natural state i.e naked.
    Nonsense. I also blame Chimamanda for her obsession all because she wants to wear her hair (with extensions)n like a 1950’s school teacher. Everyone wants to make a statement; unfortunately we try too hard dictating and pontificating, yet out oyibo counterparts are moving on to greater things secure in their oyiboness and understanding that no one really cares what you choose to look like or not too bothered to be screaming ‘proud to be white’ when there are more pressing needs. I am still not sure what your natural hair has done for the black community? Enhanced your blackness? Craze people… don’t go and feed your starving generation and secure peace in your regions. Talking about bloody hair that adds no real value to your existence apart from that of a superficial nature. If una like wear natural hair dawn to dusk, from birth to grave,no one will respect you more if we don’t sort ourselves out. A race that is consistently and collectively bottom at everything even in the western world. Dem curse una? Natural hair my foot. Abeg where is my brazilian…? LOL!

• Bex June 10, 2013 at 10:21 am

Love your comment! Had me in stitches, enough with this hair debate already, like I always say there are more important things to debate over (e.g. climate change, drought, war and famine) than hair.

bexluvs2dress.blogspot.com

• ASK9 June 10, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Lmao! One million likes for this comment ego.

• Bunmi June 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm

You have written an essay to display your sheer ignorance. These white people has gone far because they have claimed your identity & f*cked with it. It started the moment they came to your continent and fooled your forefathers with mirrors and religion. We feel you need their hair texture to look prettier. We feel that being light skinned is prettier than being dark skinned. The white man of today is enjoying the deeds of forefathers- both legal and illegal. We are suffering but still trying to recover from their criminal acts. Stop with the comparisons!
      We have to work on ourselves before we can change the world around us. No one is dictating how you should wear your hair., black people!Having basic knowledge is key! It will open your mind and you will decisions based on understanding rather than ignorance. I have seen people with permed hair and really good hairline and I’ve seen others with iya eko. It is apparent the former knows how to work that deadly chemical on their hair better than the latter. Some of the issues with Nigerians- We do not know, in depth, about our history or ourselves. We don’t care to know. As long as we can blindly flaunt the western culture as ours, then we are fine. We have arrived. We belong to a race that suffers tremendously, I expect us to want to become educated ourselves. We are extremely comfortable with being ignorant and doesn’t help that we are the make the most noise. Those European colonial masters have achieved one of their goals . To suppress the negroes mentality. Look at some of the African Americans and how messed up they are.

• Knut June 10, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Bunmi, with plenty respect, I don’t think your comment has much to do with what Ego has written.You may want to read her write up again. And continuing to blame everything on the white man/ colonial masters is like a 50 year old unemployed man saying his life got messed up when his mum didn’t give him rice and beans when he was two years old (or something even more ridiculous). Please let’s get over this ‘the white man is the devil’ mentality. If not for your name and last sentence, I would have sworn you were a Shaniqua or Lakeesha.

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 7:02 pm

THE STORY IS MUCH BROADER THAN THAT – ITS NOT ALL ABOUT COLONIZATION. SOME WOMEN BLEACH BECAUSE IT IS A FACT THAT YOU NOTICE A FAIR PERSON FROM AFAR BEFORE YOU NOTICE THE DARK PERSON. SOME WOMEN BLEACH BECAUSE THEY HAVE A COMPLEX, BUT A MAJORITY DO SO CAUSE THEY WANT THE MEN TO NOTICE THEM FROM A MILE AWAY. [in Nigerian such girls are called ‘FLASHY GIRLS’ for a reason!

LIKEWISE FOR THE PERUVIAN WEAVE – YOU CANNOT DENY THAT THEY ARE QUITE SEXY LOOKING, AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, IS THE SAVIOUR OF UGLY WOMEN.

ALSO SOME AFRICAN NATURAL HAIR CAN ONLY BE COMBED WHEN IT IS WET {I am a living witness}, THUS WEAVES ARE EASIER TO MANAGE…

NOT EVERYONE FALLS WITHIN THE COLONIAL PARADIGM… AND NOT TO RECOGNIZE THIS IS TO CONFIRM THAT YOU YOURSELF MAY BE SUFFERING FROM THE INFERIORITY COMPLEX WHICH YOU COMPLAIN OF.

YOU MUST REALIZE THAT THE EFFECT OF COLONIALISM ARE 2 PRONGED: ON THE ONE HAND ARE THOSE YOU HAVE COVERED; AND ON THE OTHER HAND ARE THOSE WHO ARE PARANIOID, WHO THINK THAT EVERYTHING THAT IS DONE BY A BLACK PERSON MUST HAVE A EUROPEAN UNDERPINNING TO IT*

THAT EVERYONE IS MOVING AROUND SAYING: ‘I want to be like a European’!!!!!

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 8:42 pm

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. IT IS ONLY YOUR [NEGRO] MENTALITY THAT IS MESSED UP* – VEIWING EVERYTHING FROM A RACIAL LENS!

while you are doing that, keep using the YORUBA NIGERIAN pioneered COMPUTER AND INTERNET/ AND CARS/ AND YOUR WESTERN CLOTHING/ AND THE YORUBA LANGUAGE WHICH YOU HAVE USED TO COMMUNICATE YOUR VIEWS/ WHICH LANGUAGE YOU LEARNED DURING YOUR AFRICAN EDUCATION AT THE AFRICAN ORIGINATED HIGHER INSTITUTION OF LEARNING.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO PREACH EVERYTHING AFRICAN 100% , THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE EVRYTHING EUROPEAN YOU HAVE, INCLUDING YOUR EDUCATION… not just hair….

YEYE PEOPLE – UNA GO SHOW YOURSELF WELL WELL!

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 9:05 pm

FOR THOSE OF YOU TALKING ABOUT BLACKS NOT BEING PROUD OF THEIR HAI, I HAVE A REAL STORY FOR YOU.

I WATCHED ON CNN, ATHE FIRST GHANANIAN FEMALE KING WHO WAS TELLING THE CAUCASIAN INTERVIEWER ABOUT HOW RICH THE AFRICAN CULTURE IS… AND THAT IN HER KINGDOM, A KING IS CHOSEN THROUGH A RIGOUROUS PROCEDURE WHICH ENTAILS CALLING THE NAMES OF EACH CANDIDATE AND THEN POURING HOT DRINK INTO THE SOIL – AND IF SMOKE ENSUES FROM THE GROUND, THEN YOU WILL BE CROWNED. SHE CONTINUES: THAT WHEN HER NAME WAS MENTIONED SMOKE ENSUED, AND BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN THEY WENT THROUGH THE PROCEDURE 3 TIMES TO BE SURE, AND EACH TIME THE SAME THING HAPPENED. SHE WAS GOING ON AND ON ABOUT HER CULTURE…

GUESS WHAT THE INTERVIEWER ASKED HER? HE ASKED HER WHAT KIND OF DRINK THEY USED, AND SHE ANSWERED SCHNAPPS.
        THEN HE LAUGHED AT HER LIKE SHE WAS A FOOL AND SAID, ‘GOOD OLD ENGLISH SCHNAPPS’!

my point is that we’re too deep in this thing, HAIR is not the problem! I also imagine that all you people complaining of the hair thing will go to work tomorrow in you WESTERN cars to practice what WESTERN indoctrination has given you [i.e university education/degree]

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT KNOW, UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN WAS ONCE THE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON!

Yeye people! go and solve the conflicts in each and every part of the 4 regions of Africa, and stop backing up the wrong tree. You’re complaining about Western influence, and you’re making that complaints in the bedrock of the greatest Western culture export – THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. CONFUSED SOULS!
        HAIR MY FOOT!

ALSO FOR THOSE OF YOU QUOTING CHIMAMANDA, SHE ALSO WEARS BRAID EXTENSIONS IN HER BRAIDS, AS SUCH SHE DOES NOT WEAR HER NATURAL HAIR.

• Knut June 10, 2013 at 7:54 pm

This is one of the BESTEST comments i’ve come across on Bella Naija. Chop knuckle my sister!

• jackie June 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm

GOD BLESS YOU EGO MY SISTER – YOU SAID IT ALL! THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION IS ROOTED IN THE SOME AFRICAN PERSONS INFERIORITY COMPLEX!

DO THEY SEE ANY CAUCASIAN SAYING THAT THEY SUNTAN/ENLARGE THEIR BREASTS AND BUM/ BECAUSE THEY WANT TO LOOK LIKE AND BE LIKE BLACK PEOPLE?!

THESE OUR AFRICAN SISTERS DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYTHING DOES NOT NECESSARILY HAVE A RACE ANGLE – THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE STUCK IN IT!!!

• Alexis June 10, 2013 at 7:25 am

Eventually, whether natural or permed, the focus should be on keeping your hair HEALTHY.

• Molly June 10, 2013 at 9:35 am

how about everyone just wearing their hair the way it best suits them?? why shd hair even be discussed?? don’t pple have a choice of their own hairstyles anymore?? i mean seriously when did hair become such a big deal? kmt! mehn i think pple have too much time on their hands…..WEAR YOUR HAIR(emphasis on YOUR, cos its Yours??) THE WAY YOU BELIEVE BEST SUITS YOU. Simple!!

Live and lets live people

• Dora the explorer June 10, 2013 at 10:35 am

I am tired of the hair movement.. I’ve belonged to all the groups.. and the way I wear my hair to a large extent depends on the country I am in.. When I was resident in the UK I could wear my natural lux, the weather permits me to handle that..Moving buck to Lagos! it is fire-ry HOT I cant be dealing with humidity and desiccated hair on my head causing pain and many bad hair days.. What am I saying? follow your life style and what you can manage keeping natural hair is not an easy task.. and perming your hair doesn’t make you less of an African Woman.. I love weaves I would buy then I doesn’t matter than I am making the Asians richer it is their fat luck.. I am getting my own money to.. very recently I’ve thought of doing another transition to natural hair as I also have fallen in Love with WIGS and got me 3!!! Hair is a woman’s crown by all means possible wear it proudly!!!

• Tox June 10, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Hair matters o. But only so much as its used to make our appearance better. The natural hair debate is raging because a lot of us do not even consider wearing our natural hair to be an option, and we should because it can look amazing. We just have to give it a go.
    Howeverrrrr, we should focus on what suits us. Not everyone looks their best with their natural hair – FACT. Not everyone looks their best with long flowing weaves – FACT. Find what suits you but ALWAYS try and look after your own hair, because baldness only suits a very small percentage of very fine women and you need to make sure you don’t scare people when they see you in your natural state, ok?
    We cant deny that natural hair takes love and time. I have a daughter and spend hours each week (wash, condition, twist to air dry, oil, weave or twist, put hairband or beads) making sure she sees that her natural hair is beautiful and it really is. However, she’s not my only child and I work full time so there is absolutely no way I’ll spend an equal amount of time on my own hair – I just don’t have that many hours in the day spare and I hate bad hair days. So my hair is short and relaxed, but often in braids, under a weave, or just whatever means I spend less time on it. But believe me, whatever I have on is always on point because it matters to me. I also want to try new looks all the time and because I am a black woman, I have so many choices – afro, wet and wavy braids, straight weave, locs, wavy weave, cropped one week, bra length the next – no big deal however I wear it. I worked outside nigeria for 10 years and had a TWA, locs, weaves, braids all sorts and they all went to work with me and noone said anything to me but ‘wow, nice hair!’. I was not not intimidated or pressured to change any of my looks and think we tend to make too much of hair in this day and age where noone seems to make too many judgements about it but black people themselves…
    I appreciate my natural hair and intend to go natural again some day but that day is not today. Its not a political statement however I wear it, just an expression how I feel like looking right now.

• deep June 11, 2013 at 7:57 am

@tox, But how many of us actually try several styles to ascertain whether our natural hair suits us or not??? Very few.
      How many of us wear shitty weaves, lace fronts, those evil looking full closure weaves, mammy water and ogbanje looking styles and still keep trying to discover new artificial dos??? My point exactly. Our brains are not in the right place when it comes to beauty and identity.

• Tox June 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Oh yeah, and all those people making noise about us making asians rich with our weave buying, yes we are. But all races of women spend a fortune on their hair. Some spend it on GHD straighteners, some on extensions, some on marrocan oil or keratin blow dries, some on orishirishi natural oils and spray bottles and aloe vera…

Its only sad when we don’t see any beauty in our own hair, not when we decide to change things up for a while…

• deep June 11, 2013 at 7:54 am

@tox, you’re right. But how many Black women “switch up” as opposed to addicition to others’ hair???
      Other women wear extensions that mimic their own hair, just like Solange and Chimamanda do. How many Black women do that? Who is cursed now? We are so f***ed up but we think we’re fine. I’m actually scared for Black people.

• Tox June 11, 2013 at 10:22 am

I would argue that actually – Nigerians do the whole Brazillian hair thing, but they also do a lot of wavy (mixed chick!) style extensions, braids and corn-rows etc as well. Long flowing hair is pricey, and therefore has a certain status attached to owning it, similar to designer clothes. The average Nigerian (yes I am being specific here) woman is very shallow when it comes to her appearance. We just hear that something is ‘reigning’ now and do it (both hair and clothes) whether it suits us or not – hence the profusion of waist length, unrealistic hair. Its because people like Kim Kardashian are considered to be role models or fashion icons – ultimate sadness for us. I mean, people- grown people- were actually trying to have their picture taken with her when she came to Lagos…but I digress…
        I’m just trying to say that rather than focus on natural vs relaxed, why not just emphasize the need to focus on other things that are actually useful (not selling our body, not thinking that getting rich is above all else, moral fibre, deciding to be a person of value to your society)…that way the society that fixates on the worst aspects of an American lifestyle and fake beauty become less important. Being natural or relaxed should just not be something we debate about with such fervour. We have much bigger issues as a nation, and as a race. I really believe that when those other things become important, self love and maybe even natural hair love, will follow as well.

• white worshippers i salute una June 10, 2013 at 7:06 pm

bunmi slaves will always be slaves!! ignore them dear

• hot mama June 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

This hair issue is gradually loosing its taste in my mouth…initially i got interested cos of the fact that it encouraged women to luv what nature has bestowed upon us… but that does not mean it should be dangled in our faces almost all the time d issue comes up that we must or should according to some arguments carry our natural hair for the rest of our lives and denounce everything else not natural…personally I’ve got really good hair which i consciously take care of to maintain it, and i luv the compliments i get when i let my hair see the light of day..but trust mi wen i say, that light of day happens only a few times a year…not because i cant carry it as much as i want but because i don’t want to…and this has nothing to do with whether I’m ashamed of it or not,naaaa…more with its easier to wear other hairstyles than it is mine…if anything im proud of my hair cos every time i wear it i look younger and more appealing sef according to public opinion…so this issue of love ur hair which i support, in my opinion is becoming over flogged abeg….let everyone live their lives the way it pleases them as long as it doesn’t endanger the next person, after all if i say i no go chop eba,una wan force the eba for my mouth ni…pls live and let live biko…i wanna believe that this hair issue is to enlighten women on how beautiful our texture is and suggest ways to grow and maintain it well and not how the white man this and bla bla bla…hiannh

• aleesha June 13, 2013 at 8:57 am

sigh… such a heated discussion over hair?? Colonial dis, personal preference dat. Life is really not that hard. Live and let live biko.

• The Mane Captain June 21, 2013 at 6:04 am

Very Interesting Video!
    I like the fact that she interviewed a celebrity.
    You all can visit my hair blog at
    themanecaptain.blogspot.ca