BellaNaija Celebrates Academic Excellence – Class of 2013: Adenike Adebayo

Posted on Saturday, July 6th, 2013 at 2:30 PM

By BellaNaija.com

BellaNaija presents “Celebrating You! Class of 2013.” A few weeks ago, we called for submissions of graduating students who had excelled in their course of study. We acknowledge the fact that everyone who has graduated this year is a winner. We, therefore, want to celebrate people who have gone over and above the norm. People who have gotten meritorious distinctions and awards from their institution of study. We hope that you are inspired and we look forward to receiving more entries.

Today, we’re celebrating Adenike Adebayo. Nike always wanted to be a lawyer but Bowen University didn’t have Law as a course on offer so she opted for a Mass Communications degree.  Nike was undeterred as she decided to go back to school to get that law degree.  Nike was awarded the Oklahoma City Association of Black Lawyers Notable Student Award. She was also President – Oklahoma City University School of Law Black Law Students Association (2012-2013)

Academia
My story is different. It’s different in the sense that it is not about my GPA. Growing up, my strengths have always been my ability to perform and engage in public speaking. I was always the coordinator of this or a representative of that. I discovered early on that my intelligence laid not in my ability to achieve a 4.0 GPA but rather in excelling in substantive activities and performances. This got me started on my journey to becoming a lawyer. As a student, I was diligent not only in my studies but in enriching the school with my Nigerian values. I was the only African in my graduating class.

My first semester in law school was the toughest for me. I struggled with expressing myself to my classmates and Professors because they could not understand my “accent” every time I spoke; studying law in a foreign system proved exceptionally challenging for me, I had self-esteem issues because I felt I was always behind; I had a mid-semester crisis after which I almost gave up, but I did not. I was featured in the school’s 2013 annual magazine as a noteworthy student.

Going the Extra Mile
I worked hard and pushed harder, focusing especially on my strengths and it paid off. I ended up not only becoming the Representative for my Class; but I went on to represent my school in Moot Court competitions. I was elected President of the Black Law Students Association, awarded Oklahoma City Association of Black Lawyers Notable Student Award, featured in the School’s annual magazine as a notable student and I graduated with a Juris Doctor (JD) Degree in law as a “remarkable” student. All of which I could not have done, but for God’s grace. I graduated law school! Anyone who knows about law school in the States knows it’s 3 years of hard work. Many began the race but only few completed: I was one of the few.

Fun Fact:
I’m a die-hard Nollywood fanatic.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 60 Comments on “BellaNaija Celebrates Academic Excellence – Class of 2013: Adenike Adebayo”

Comments
    • Sandra July 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Congrats Nike on graduating. You did it.
      On an unrelated topic: I love watching your Nigerian Movies reviews on YouTube.

• AnikeArewa July 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!! MAY UR DEGREE TAKE YOU BEYOND UR IMAGINATIONS. I PRAY FOR THE SAME THE WISDOM THAT GOD PLACED UPON YOU FOR MY YOUNGER SIBLINGS.. #VERYPROUDNIGERIANSIS

• Kiz July 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Awwww….I know her.impressive.

• zen July 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Congrats. Early morning motivation. Thanks

• X- Factor July 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Wow…Congrats!

• lawprospect July 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I receive it

• Iamme July 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Congrats Adenike! I like how you weren’t tied up thinking your success depended on GPA

• fuzy July 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

impressive

• Sel July 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Wow this accent thing is really crazy. It’s very difficult if you immigrate for the first time cos trust me they will always ask you to repeat your words because they cannot understand you. Even with my ghanain accent I still go through a lot of that and sometimes I try not to speak when I go out cos immediately I open my mouth they can tell I’m new. I can just imagine how difficult it must have been with the Nigerian accent because of the pronnouciation of some of the English words like work , come, nurse , doctor, etc.
      Well done girl and congrats. Have you taken the bar exam and would you be practicing one the US? Congratulations once again

• Jo! July 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM

This your long story is for what exactly? So you’re implying that your Ghanaian accent is better/clearer than a Nigerian accent?
        Please take a million seats jare

• Jo! July 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Heheheheheeh, this babe, you actually listed the words we’re not pronouncing right….lmao
          Abeg comot here and go and get yourself a bellaghana or something

• Voltron July 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I don’t think your comments (both of them!) are necessary, ‘Jo!’ What you are trying to imply is that she can’t express herself freely on this forum because she’s Ghanian? Please, you take a sit…

Congrats to Adenike.

• slim July 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Bless you sister she actually made me laugh ‘even with my Ghana accent ‘ meaning what exactly?!?!?i can’t just get enough…by the way chattyzee you are such an inspiration… bless you again sister.

• Drpeperempe July 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Actually, the Ghanaian accent is further from proper English ESP with the words you provided. My English friends always had a harder time understanding the Ghanaians than the Nigerians. Ain’t nothing like werk for work boo.

• Sel July 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Wow which English friends? Seriously which English person will understand work as ‘w)k’ and doctor as ‘doct)r’? I know you are proudly Nigerian but pls be objective

• Sel July 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Anyway I was my point of reference was the American accent and not the British so you might wanna come again

• Ib July 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Excuse me??Chale where did you fall from?The spotlight IS NOT on u.You are allowed to air your opinion but dont insult people. Also learn how to spell “PRONUNCIATION” before u start showing ur level of intelligence.

• Sel July 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It’s not on me, I agree, I mada comment and people thought otherwise. It’s no big deal, you could have just congratulated the girl and hoped along, instead you chose to reply me. Yea and thanks for the correction. I guess now misspelling a word whilst typing on your phone renders you less of a person than you really are.

• Wetnconcernme July 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Sel please take a seat and chill. No one would have added extra comment for you if you hadn’t taken a side swipe at d Naija accent. You are u and u are unique just like we are us and are unique. Own your accent and be proud of it, no pt adding side comment abt Naija accent. Everyone in d world with another foreign language besides english as part of their heritage has an accent. They own it and are proud of it. The key is to be confident and speak as clearly as possible. After all this American accent sef get K leg and our Naija accent is still rated as sexy. I don’t try to speak like them I just do me and speak English as I know how and they still understand me.

• ch July 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I hardly ever comment on people’s posts because I believe we are all entitled to our opinions. However, everybody taking a go at you are deservedly right because you drew the first blood when you took a swipe at Nigerian accent. Your high rating for Ghanaian accent beats my imagination though, for why nah??

• Adenike Adebayo July 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thanks a lot Sel! Yes, I’m glad someone can relate to the struggles.. lol.. Yes, I’m studying for the bar at the moment and I do intend practicing in the U.S. for a while.. Thanks again!

• YEYEN August 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

• jennietobbie July 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM

congrats girl. proud!!!

• pearl July 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

aww!!!….congrats!!..you have a lovely smile…I like the combo of the native attire!!

• Temizzy July 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Congrats dear your story inspires me to be my best always

• Nathaniel's Daughter July 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Congrats Adenike! I used to enjoy reading your blog! I like the fact that you went after your dreams. And I’ve learnt this much: You don’t want to wake up in 10 years and think to yourself, “What if I had just gone after my dreams ?”

• Resquared July 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Law school in North America is really no joke. Congratulations on your awards, and for graduating!! :)

• slim July 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

OMG! Nike its unbelievable she can dance as hell,proud of you baby…….Ay-Genesis.

• ccc July 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Well done!

• Godslove22 July 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Wow is is great…..The best to her

• Nikki July 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Congratulations!

• Doyeen Solar July 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Well done…very inspiring! Congrats dear

• Aby July 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Congrats Dear,i knew it from the first time i met U that U could do anything U place Ur mind on.Back den i used to tell ma friends that Adenike was an All-rounder.I respect U and am Proud of U..

• comment awaiting moderation July 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Lol @ Bellaghana…meanwhile is there anything wrong in studying mass communication? *yawn*!

• veer520 July 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Congratulations, many more blessings to you.,

• dada mary olufunmilayo July 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM

congrats, Adenike Adebayo. The sky is your limit, keep it rolling.

• Adebayo Adeniyi July 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Congrats dear, God will continue to protect you and make u bigger than your parent. One luv

• I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do? They're really saying, I love you July 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Chattyzee :)

• Blumolly July 7, 2013 at 5:32 AM

Go girl! congrats dear..you’ve been a determined girl right from bowen, remember our dances in genesis..lol..

• slim July 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I rep Genesis who is blumolly, i am Ayo, d very slim Ay

• toye July 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM

congrat dear, impressive

• nita July 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Congrats!!! Wishing u all d best…

• omoibo July 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Congrats and wishing you continued success. Cheers!

• Tosin July 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

lovely.

• snazzie July 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM

chatty icon, congrats dearie. am so proud of u. the sky is definately ur startin point. long live our school……FEGGICOLLA.keep doing us proud…..menh u r nw finer

• John July 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I totally identify with the accent thing, when I was in nigeria, my friends constantly spoke about my eloquence and I was so confident to speak even at a forum but as I came to the US, gosh! The “so-called eloquence”turned to struggling to speak amidst the Americans. I am trying to overcome by learning as a child again hoping they can comprehend my speeches.

• Ade July 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

welldone

• pynk July 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I love a point that she made. Its not all about the GPA and understanding where her talents ultimately lay abi na lie.

• Blossom July 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

She looks like Michelle Obama in that last pic

• Joyful July 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Our very own Chatty..congrats! You are one model that has been raised by HCC. So proud of you, love always!

• Amara July 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Dis Ghana must go bag people, dey no go hear word for una wit ds una artificial fake english dt irritates me. Thumbs up Adenike jare

• Abayomi A July 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

That’s my sis right there…proud of you girl!

• temitope July 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Welldone, and wish you the best Nike.

• Faith Kel. July 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Lovely!
      Congrats Nike.
      -www.faithkel.com

• Adenike Adebayo July 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Wow! Bless you all for the kind words and prayers. Amen to all the prayers and blessings. I wish could could reply each one but that would take forever…
      Thanks to BN for this great opportunity to inspire the world …
      xoxo
      Adenike Adebayo

• Nikky July 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Wow! congrats my namesake and ex schoolmate…..

• YEYEN August 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

@ Sel Honey, I’m Ivy League educated and trust me, an African accent is an accent here in the US. Be it Nigerian, South African or Ghanaian. So don’t subliminally insult the person being honored here. When you have a foreign accent in this country, the minute you open your mouth to speak, people faces squeeze up wincing. I had a ghanaian friend in my class and when we spoke we both jumbled up several pronunciations. So, please stop Ghanaians stop this act of superiority. It’s quite ignorant and even more, incendiary.

• ChicCPO September 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I Celebrate You Nike !!!

• […] I was also featured on Bellanaija. If you have not seen that post, please click here to see it. http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/07/06/bellanaija-celebrates-academic-excellence-class-of-2013-adenike… God is taking us places and there is no platform that is too small, it is only a stepping stone to […]