Call for Applications! Participate in British Council’s 5-Day Fashion Film Workshop 2013Posted on Sunday, August 11th, 2013 at 4:50 PM
The British Council (in partnership with Lagos Fashion and Design Week) is pleased to invite applications from filmmakers interested in exploring fashion as a theme, adding range to their body of work and contributions made to art.
This fashion film workshop will take participants through the central aspects of the fashion filmmaking process. The workshop includes:
- An illustrated introduction to film language using examples of fashion film;
- Introductions to planning, shooting and editing a fashion film.
- Participants then plan, film and edit a simple sequence.
CRITERIA (who should apply)
The workshop is open to filmmakers and their teams which should include a minimum of the following: editor and director of photography / lighting technician. The team can also include art director (optional).
Each selected film making team will work with a design team comprising – fashion designer, stylist, hair / makeup stylist.
- Experienced filmmakers, especially those interested in producing short films and experimenting in the genre
- Applicants should be able to assemble the team required to produce their film (as listed and underlined above)
Download the application form here.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED (you need to provide)
- HD Cameras (e.g. Canon 7) for each film maker
- Laptops with Final Cut Pro software
- Lighting equipment for the shoots
- Access to a location to shoot fashion film
In preparation for the workshop participants are expected to spend a bit of time thinking about their concept for their film and prepare:
- Concept outline/mood board. This could be visual references for inspiration and express what they are hoping to achieve – it might be written, but also could include imagery, examples of settings, lighting, shots, films, styling or art direction for example. This can be physical or online – i.e. pinterest/clipboard
- Select 1 fashion film they think is good and explain why plus carry out more research on it and their personal concepts.
- Identify 2-3 potential, accessible shooting locations with consideration to a variety of settings, including indoors, outdoors, studios.
- Selected participants will be given a brief in advance of the workshop to guide them on this preparation
DATES / SCHEDULE
Monday 9 September 2013 - (designer, director, stylist, hair/makeup, art director (if necessary), editor and a director of photography)
- Introduction to Fashion Film
- Creating a concept, mood boards treatment, storyboards, shot list
Tuesday 10 September 2013 – (designer, director, stylist, hair/makeup, art director (if necessary), editor and a director of photography)
- Location Recce & b Shoot set up
- Shoot on location
Wednesday 11 September 2013 (designer, director, stylist, hair/makeup, art director (if necessary), editor and a director of photography)
- Shoot on location
Thursday 12 September 2013 (designer, director, editor)
- Sound to visual exercise
Friday 13 September 2013 (designer, director, editor)
- Present films to all participants
Fashion Film is a growing trend among fashion designers and an area of fashion communication in which the UK has a leading position. It is an alternative medium for fashion designers who would like to tell the story of their collection apart from presenting their work in a catwalk show.
The workshop will be facilitated by London born film director, Grace Ladoja. Grace has worked on films for an array of clients including Nike, and has gone on to found her own production company, Ladoja & Sons. In two short years it has created a name for itself with its steady output of music videos, fashion films and personal projects, becoming a truly unique platform with a heavy creative output.
More information on Grace Ladoja.