Lee Thompson - August 2013 - BellaNaija

Farewell Lee.

On Friday morning, friends and family gathered for a memorial service honouring American TV star Lee Thompson Young who died on Monday 19th August 2013 of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.

This Wednesday, E! News reported that sources close to the movie star revealed he took his life because he began practicing Yorùbá.

The entertainment network is now reporting that during the memorial service, Lee’s practice of the West African religion Ifa was highlighted throughout the ceremony.

There were dancers dressed all in white. They performed to the beat of live drum music and the actor’s former karate teacher entered the room ahead of Lee’s mother (writer Velma Love), blessing the ground in front of her as she walked in.

E! News also reports that some of the mourners were dressed in white too, as a nod to Young’s Ifa practice

Lee’s Rizzoli & Isles co-stars Angie Harmon and Jordan Bridges gave emotional speeches at the service.

He will truly be missed.

15 Comments on American TV Star Lee Thompson Young’s Ifa Practice Highlighted throughout his Memorial Service
  • sad!!! August 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm

this kin fin boy just kill himself….when good hearted woman like me looking for a handsome rich guy like you to marry.abi him no know se rich husbands are scarce these days?no a serious note,i know depression is real but just hard to comprehend why he had to kill himself. rest well handsome.

• Ok o August 24, 2013 at 5:09 pm

@sad…if you truly understand depression,you would understand why he killed himself.May no one ever experience it.

• ms lala August 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Preach !!!!!!!!!! at that moment, money,status, fame, and even romance means nothing. this is why we say money and certain things in life can’t guarantee u happiness..met him once while in Culver city..NICEST GUY EVER ..my heart is still bleeding ..heard he was an only child which is even harder to deal with when your depressed…no sibs here so i know how it feels to be all alone. RIP

• Anon August 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Another victim of MK Ultra.

• Godslove22 August 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Na wa oh wetin be the the meaning of religion Ife.????God de ohhh because this doesn’t add up at all to the cause of his death…..Well may God comfort his love one’s

• Iris August 24, 2013 at 7:49 pm

E! didn’t actually say he took his life because of the religion he was practising. They implied it when they said he changed when he started practising it but they didn’t actually SAY it O. So now they’ve clarified that it’s the Ifa religion he was practising. I thought they said Yoruba was a religion as well as a language *hiss*

• kokie August 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm

He karate teacher must have been his ifa priest ( maybe not. What do I know ). All these back to land Americans

• Diamond August 25, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Yoruba is a tribe in Nigeria West Africa nd not a religion. I dnt get dis whole shit!

• Ola Brown August 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Atleast Damilare did not call Yoruba a religion again…….That is improvement.

• omolaraeni August 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

painful i swear depression is real but with Christ u will get over

• ibukungeorge August 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm

So sad…No one is responsible for your happiness.Here in America its so easy to get depress especially when you far away from home and loved ones.(Its worse if you have no love life aka Single)I often hear stories of depression in the states but almost experienced when I moved away from Nigeria.My darlings I went straight on my knees and rebuked the Devil.Now I thank God,i live a day at a time joyfully.No time for mess!And of cos I check bella naija comments on posts which makes me laugh so hard I forget my worries.So Sad.

• mujer casada August 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm

All dese Amercans. Ask before you leap. Ifa worship is juju worship. .when you conjure demons, you have to be prepared. You have to learn to control them or they control you. Also, they eventually control you and the price always gets higher the more entrenched you become. Sometimes the price is ya life or person. I can imagine some demons spoke to you and asked you to commit suicide. Some will call it schizophrenia in segments of the developed world. In real church, we call it demons beckoning. Don’t practice what you have not studied from one who has lived long enough with it and clearly has benefits from it. But don’t forget, the benefits are shortlived in the long run……… the devil has no friends or loved ones and wont make any sacrifices for you…

• ifaremi lover of Ifa August 26, 2013 at 12:58 am

You people have no idea what Ifa is or what it even stands for! Ifa is simply the wisdom of nature. We live simple lives and tap into the power that God created us with, a part of Him. People here juju and automatically associate it with “devils”..well let me enlighten you…Ifa does not even believe in a devil and juju is only to be used for good, to spread light, and raise your own personal energy and power to a level of peace and abundance. Furthermore, Ifa does not criticize other religions or faiths yet we are criticized. My life has never been more peaceful and I also must do more work in my life than I ever did a Christian. Ultimately, you must find happiness in whatever you choose….people commit suicide, not the spiritual path that they choose to foolow. Ifa encourages life and a relationship with your ancestors not “demons” telling you to kill yourself. I also work in the mental health field and schizophrenia is real, not some “demons” telling you to harm yourself. Educate yourselves before you make assumptions, please. Rest in peace brother Lee, may your ancestors welcome you to heaven! Ase

• I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do? They’re really saying, I love you August 26, 2013 at 1:00 am

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Jesus is the light. Light shines in darkness and darkness cannot comprehend.

This guy is so good looking! See his eyes!

Jesus is the light!!! Depression, confusion, etc are all fruits borne in darkness! Seek Rhe Light. Dwell in The Light. Let The Light dwell in you as well. Please!

• Damzy August 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm

It’s quite preposterous to see how much of a fuss these people are making of his supposed suicidal motive. So they’re saying one can simply drop dead by “embracing” a language like Mandarin? Condolences to the bereft family, we’re all depressed at some point, how we get back up is the most essential.