Posted on Thursday, November 14th, 2013 at 8:57 PM

By BellaNaija.com

Julius Agwu - November 2013 - BellaNaija

BN just received a statement from ace Nigerian comedian Julius Agwu, who is “very angry” with Nigerian telecommunications company Etisalat.

According to the top comic act, the telecoms brand granted a third party access into his mobile line and illegally transferred his credit in the process. The unidentified individual also gained access into his credit card account.

Julius states that the incident happened when he traveled to the USA to see his family
Read it below;

“While I was in America to see my new baby, I suddenly realized that my Etisalat line was inactive. I couldn’t receive and make calls. I went to Etisalat office in Hilton to complain and to discover what the problem was. I was told someone asked the company to swap my line. I got very worried immediately and queried them.

How could someone’s line get swapped without the authorization of the owner? Even as the owner of the line, I would issue an authorization letter to effect that. I was worried because I personally registered the line and I told them I want to know the staff that granted the request but they refused. It was however rectified that very day by one Miss Joan and I was able to make use of the line again momentarily, for that day only. I later made several calls to the customer care and till now, nothing has been done.

Due to their negligence, I have lost few jobs because that is the only line some clients could reach me on. Another painful aspect of it all is that the person broke into my credit card account and it was used in Rome and Milan. And as a matter of fact, I didn’t go to those places. I have to block the card because I have lost money.

The credit on the line was also transferred to the new line by the person who swapped it. There is a high level of impunity in this country and nobody cares. I’m crying out so that people can know how shameless and useless some brands can be. I will take this matter to the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) and National Human Rights Commission. I should be fully compensated because even till now, the problem has not been rectified.”

It is quite sad.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 59 Comments on ““I’m Very Angry…I Have Lost Money”! Julius Agwu shares Issues with Nigerian Telecoms Brand”

Comments
    • Cynthia November 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Thank you for speaking out Julius agu, the same thing happenned to me, returned to Nigeria and noticed that my MTN line has been swapped given to someone else , and this is a line that I registered. On getting to MTN office , they told me my line was given to an old lady because I was away for just 2months, I was dumbfounded!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn’t believe, silly excuse been , that the nig tele communication do not want to provide new line,they would rather recycle old lines can you imagine, because of how much they spend in creating new lines. Just imagine, incompetence my asss.

• Hmmm November 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Well fyi i changed my number last week with tmobile lo and behold on the same day someone whatsaps me calling me a random name, by this time only my fam n bf had my new number. The guy called me junior i had to tell em er i just got this number i dunno who ur looking for. My point is alot of these tel com recycle numbers. But the hacking cc info ish mba mba

• Chigbo November 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM

The rich also cry. Pele

There are a LOT of customer service issues in Nigeria that need to be addressed but they get swept under the carpet because the people concerned are not as rich and prominent as you

Truth is this is not a new thing. Maybe now something will be done about it because the rich and famous are crying out. People should not be able to dupe others and get away with it. You also have a right to know the full details of whoever authorized the swap of your line and also full compensation.

We are watching………

• LookAtThisColossalMumu November 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM

And your point is??? All you poverty-minded people that can never see past another man’s wealth! What does this have to do with this issue now??? So because it happens to the next Nigerian, Julius Agwu must keep quiet about it??? I seriously don’t get people like you.

Anyway, Mr. Agwu, this is madness and I hope NCC will resolve this matter. Who swaps lines WITHOUT notice or permission. Naija is a hell hole, I swear.

• BubblyBliss November 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Please this is someone that has worked hard for his money and become a master of his craft. His hard earned money so hell yes he can cry about it. Was he always rich? No. He got himself to where he is through hard work. I suggest you do the same

• Vee November 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM

@colossalmumu & bubbly bliss. Can’t you both read properly? I mean don’t you understand simple English? Chigbo made a simple statement, that this also happens to ordinary people, however it gets overlooked because they are not rich and famous. Chigbo also stated that now a famous person has made a complaint publicly maybe the issue will be taken seriously and investigated. Don’t be so quick to respond, try to understand first! Gosh!

• Anonymous 1 November 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Seriously tho, customer service in Nigeria needs major improvement!! Nothing has been done till now. Ayah, Julius pele.

Etisalat you no try. When I’m in Naija next month I’m definitely not bringing my business to you even with all the promotions in the world.

• Wale November 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Really…whose business? Certainly now ours, it is part of life, deal with it. By him spilling online does not make his claim credible. If he is broke and needs money from the phone company he should just say so. The other day it was some flashily dressed wannabe that got robbed in Paris itemizing everything she lost to robbers. Seriously, who give a s#%*. Se this forum is police lost and found desk ni?

• mama mia!!! November 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Be quiet wale!!! How can this country move forward with a thin brain like urs?Mtn did same to me, and have on a number of occasion taken my money without my consent had to leave their shitty network… bloody rogues!

• Bleed Blue November 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM

“It is part of life, deal with it”…ladies and gentleman
          meet Wale…the kind of Nigerian we should all aspire NOT to
          be.

• whoop! November 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM

abeg shut up. if you work hard for your money you’ll know d value of 1naira. its enough to cry out, his cry for help is for every citizen so they know how irresponsible some organizations are.

• Idak November 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM

SMH, kindly confirm that this comment of yours was an
        attempt at trolling. Else, you are in need of deliverance from a
        severe case of idiocy. How on earth did you process that stuff you
        typed up there in your mind?

• new mum November 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

you must be silly for your comment…nonsense

• Cutie November 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Nigeria!! God help us! such a shame!

• i no send November 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM

the only reason he will be compensated is because he is a celebrity and has a voice..the rest of us.. “commoners” will have to suffer in silence or face rude staff at their service centres

• tish November 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Why don’t YOU try and be a VOICE yourself?

• Iris November 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

This is why I don’t trust all these cashless and mobile money things. All these institutions pretend they are sophisticated, then they’ll screw you over with their inefficiency when you start to depend on them.

• nene November 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

my dear u can’t trust nigerian businesses with anything. they screw with you and have poor management and sustainability.

• Concerned November 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Its so sad because telecommunication services in Nigeria is take it or leave it. There is no form of apologies. Julius’s case is not an isolated one. I had a very sad experience with MTN in 2007. My MTN number that I maintained from 2001 to 2007 was given to someone I do not know despite the fact that I was recharging on bi-monthly basis in while taking a one year study leave in UK. It dawned on me in Decemeber 2007 when I returned and tried recharging the phone and it was inactive and was informed by MTN that my number had been re-assigned to some other person because I wasn’t using my phone. What an injustice and reward for customer loyalty.

• tee November 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Don’t mind these useless etisalat people… be sponsoring shows up n down. Instead of them to improve their customer service.

• NNENNE November 15, 2013 at 3:01 AM

@ Chigbo… Am sorry but the fact that it happened to other people does not mean that he should not cry for his hard earned money.
      BTW Richness is very relative and people who worked hard for their money should not be treated as if they committed some sin.

I feel your pain Mr. Julius. Nice that you are proactive about the recovery of your money.

• hmm hmm November 15, 2013 at 4:45 AM

everyone kips shouting customer service, what does customer service have to do with recycled line? na customer service dey in charge of recycling dormant numbers? abegi make he go siddown. for someone to swap your line that person must have had all the details of your line. the last time i went to swap my line in mtn they didnt do it because my brother was the one that registered it even though i had the PUK and all other info. i was really pissed, but thinkin of it now, how will it have sounded if someone else actually went there and they swapped it. i had to send my bro to go swap it. case closed. its either someone that really knew him or a fraud by one of their staff. either way customer service does not have anything to do with recycling. lets speak intelligently please. nigerians dont like reading terms and conditions of anything before we claim rights. i bet all of you dont even know that even telecoms have term of use. when u reach court waste lawyer money them go tell u make u go read terms and conditions next time. all websites have it publicly. next jare

• Anonymous November 15, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Okaayy… so who was it that said person spoke with to swap the line? Or even you when you went to swap your brother’s line? Let me guess… a ‘customer service’ rep!

• natty November 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Which customer service rep, he went to the CEO’s office ! ITK!!

• Aibee November 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Dear ignorant hmm hmm, customer service is not that desk in the bank or service provider company. Customer service is the totality of your customer’s experience sith your business/service. Customer service begins from pre-sales, sales and after service and includes how you handle and respond to customers complaints, enquiries and generally keep your customer happy. Get some education.

• M.h November 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

God bless you! May you see your children children! May awon
          oni jibiti never rob you of valuable things in life! Hmm hmm next
          time coordinate your brain,your mind and your hands

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Yep, “Dear ignorant hmm hmm” pretty much sums it up. Other terms of description also come to mind such as “unenlightened” and “totally clueless”… Coming here to educate us about the division of labour between those who sit at the front desk and the technical staff as if the Etisalat employees carrying out unseen duties in the back offices don’t have an overall purpose of providing a service to the customer…

• nicholas November 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Eeya!sorry mr comic,,just chang your line man

• naijaebony November 15, 2013 at 6:55 AM

This is serious. When this can happen to a celeb without any repercussion, what then is the fate of a common man.

• Hurpeyeahmie November 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Nigeria telecommunication industry is really frustrating

• Mary November 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Broke ass. he de find money. No one can swap a line without all the security details attached to the line. He should go and question his staff or close pals jo, blaming the GSM company is a shameless act of long throat. and wetin consign GSM SIM and credit card again? na etisalat issue the credit card give am? The guy is dumb just like his dumb-ass jokes.

• Changing Faces November 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Thats a big fat lie… The exact same thing happened to my husband, but on mtn. His line was swapped at 2am! He was in the country, no one called to find out if the line was active before swapping and when he tried to make a call the next morning they said the line was inactive! That same morning someone tried to cash a cheque on his account, and when the bank called to confirm, the new line owner confirmed the cheque! It wasn’t cashed only because of an account officer who had the good sense to call his 2nd line. Till now mtn is claiming they did nothing wrong, even when the new line owners info totally differed from my husband’s. Theyve returned his line without apology.

Don’t comment on issues you know nothing about! To say he’s a broke ass because he stated his experience makes you a dumbass.

• jumanji November 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Hmm, Hmm or wat do u call ur name, do u know the meaning of Customer Service at all? I dont tink so, cos if u do, u wont write this trash and post it on BN.

• Shhh November 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

That’s why your name is name is jumanji. mumu. What part
        about the fact that he was brushed off by customer service
        representatives severally despite his attempt to at least get them
        to accept responsibility for their actions did you not understand?
        Everyone is allowed to ‘vent’ for their hard earned money. That he
        dint steal his money like a lot of ‘rich’ people today doesn’t mean
        he should shut his mouth when he has been wronged. Thank you
        Julius, this same thing has happened to several people and no one
        has done anything about it because they are not
        influential.

• tish November 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Try and Shh for a moment and READ before commenting! S/He was referring to the person who signed on as Hmmm Hmmm, not Julius!!

• buqui November 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM

but seriously is it now a crime for him to speak out?? cos me i dont understand u people o

• Damilola November 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

ETISALAT trully sucks now ,they charge me twice in a month for BIS.I have called to complain same thing keeps happening this is the third month now.Customer service really sucks in naija.

• mimi November 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

If u exhaust ur BlackBerry data limit for dat month of course you’ll have to repurchase again to continue enjoying you BlackBerry services

• Debby November 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

For Julius coming to say this is also a voice for “the commoners”. This has happened to me and some other people out there but nobody ever mentioned, it is even through this means a lot of you are now airing your experiences.
      For those shouting ” he is a broke a*s” This is the line he has always had and of course he uses it for business, so what would you have him do, keep quite and pray?I bet you if the same happened to you will be ready to bring the telecom office down. Lets always take a cue to do the right thing and not always criticizing people.

• Chum chum November 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

A lot of frude is gong on in all this telecoms especially MTN, if i start my story here it wont end, NCC pls help the masses and look into this matter. both sim swap, BIS and MB they dupe alot from it.

• mimi November 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Truth be told, telecoms companies aren’t witches n wizards, are security questions dat have been put in place place to verify ownership of a line if a customer calls in for a swap so if the person confirms all these details correctly he is assisted for d swap, so in such a situation how will one be able to tell over d air if d person calling in is d owner of the line or not, it sad dis that dis happened to Julius but dis would have been done by some who knows him well and has all his details accurately, its unfortunate dis happened to etisalat by the were only trying to do dr duty

• coleman November 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

This is no funny o. This country is funny. How can they be destroying their own. It is nonsense… My guy, relax, God is in control

• Obiz November 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM

@ Mary you a stupidly dumb. What does his joke have to do
      with this issue biko. My dear, Next time if you have nothing else
      to say go to linda and chat shit there… Ok? Effing Moron

• Obiz November 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM

are*

• Kay.Bee November 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Dear Agwu, your line was swapped illegally and credit
      balance was transferred from the line but the fraudster does not
      have access to your CREDIT CARD (VISA, MASTERCARD) via your
      SIM….unless he stole your phone. Credit Card do not require calls
      or SMS to authenticate transactions so the guy must have stolen
      your phone or your Credit Card. To use a credit card you MUST have
      the credit card number or the physical card and he could not have
      gotten that thru your swapped SIM …………. Kay.Bee

• itisanaturalsomething November 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Julius no vex too much. now you have every right to ‘port’…don’t go near the yellow ppl o. they are worse!!

• kumosky November 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Hahahahahaha. AKUKO! JULIUS and his jokes! Which money you
      loose?? Abegi make i hear. When last them call you for beta show??
      If u need money jst respect urself and beg! MSCHEWWWW..

• omobalogun November 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

LOL. Julius na inside job. Biko Ask all those yahoo boys
      near ur office in Surulere and the ones that come to hang out with
      you! Which credit card? Call the issuer and block the card na, Why
      u de find cheap/free publicity!

• temi November 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Julius, recall this statement fast….fast because of the
      credit card part….haba we aint that stupid,yes, ur line was
      swapped without ur authorization but haba ur credit card was also
      used!. na ur phone dem steal?when u swap a line the information on
      ur phone does not automatically get transferred to the new sim. As
      someone earlier pointed out, either its someone who has your
      details or the criminal is very good. Anyways, sorry for your
      loss…..but remove the credit card part as its a bloody
      lie

• Mary November 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

That’s exactly my point. and all these Olodos here are running away with their emotions instead of reading carefully to note that this is clearly due to Julius’s carelessness. Only someone very close to him could have had all the security information needed to access both SIM and credit card at the same time. I am an information security consultant and I know that this one is beyond the GSM company abeg….

• bimpe November 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I am diverting from the point here. This guy always
      complains about money all the time, he Is so annoying. Even when he
      came to london and did an interview he kept on talking about money,
      ain’t like he funny though. Kmt

• HILDA November 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Awwwww snaaap… some peeps are definitely gonna loose
      their jobs for this…

• happy November 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Awwww, Abeg wetin sim swap take connect credit card. Julius d genius dis one fall ur hand, to educate u after a sim swap no single information on d other sim will be retained. The new sim card will be as new as a new born. Except ur airtime balance, data, bis plan (if any). In ur own interest withdraw ur statement before u go make pple question ur intelligence.

• Amaka November 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

This is very sad. I can’t even imagine…good people are working really hard for their money and others are working really hard to steal from them. This country sha, our witches and wizards are in the physical!

• nene November 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM

nigeria..why can’t anything be done right? i wish he could sue etisalat. rubbish

• fiesty chic November 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

for y’all who can’t read, his complaints were as follows:
      1. someone got his info, swapped his line with etisalat and credit
      on the line was transferred to that person’s line. 2. same person
      also stole his credit card details and used it to make purchases 3.
      etisalat has not restored his credit nor number and he has lost
      money from clients becos of this

• Ezinwanne November 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

If you have not been defrauded by these telecoms companies, you can say anything you like. For all I know Etisalat is a fraudulent company. I do not know how long the company will continue to sustain its self by defrauding people. It is a question of time before their secret will be completely exposed. If you have an etisalat line. I will advice you stick to voice calls only. The moment you add internet services or BIS or you make the mistake of procuring a contract line with them, the be ready to pay for services you never used.

• A little birdie November 16, 2013 at 2:20 AM

This is a step in the right direction for celebs to cry out
      against injustice. The more significant next step would be for a
      celeb to turn down an MTN endorsement in protest of their shoddy
      services. I would be really impressed and see hope for Nigeria on
      the horizon.

• yemi November 16, 2013 at 5:34 AM

@ A little birdie turn down endorsement u say? Dont b surprised if u see a post on his Twitter page-’New ambassador to d yellow, green or red pple’! He shudnt come and put sim swap and credit card issue together abeg. Besides to carry out a swap is like passing thru a needle cos of sim reg issues et al..If d line was indeed registered in his name with his info, pic and fingerprints dere’s no way dat line wud av bin swapped. We r patiently waiting to hear d end of dis matter. Shikena!