Ibinabo's son

Yesterday news broke that actress and President of the Actors Guild of Nigeria Ibinabo Fiberesima was sentenced to 5 years in jail by the Court of Appeal in Lagos and her first son Sean Liam Coughlan has written an open letter to Nigerians addressing his mum’s emotional state following her sentencing.

Read it below.

“People of Nigeria,

This is Sean, first and proud son of Ibinabo Fiberesima, I write on here today to plead with all Nigerians to pray for my mother. She is going through the toughest of times right now, and so are we, her family. I’ve been reading heartbreaking comments on her matter that ‘she thinks she’s above the law’, ‘she doesn’t feel sorry for the family of the deceased’, ‘she was drunk and deserves this punishment’, let me get a few things straight with you now.

My mother is the most humble woman I know, I was not aware she was a celebrity until I was about 14 and that’s only because my uncle told me, she does not see herself or act as if she is above any other person. She is a proud Nigerian who loves her country and its people.

Secondly, she has been carrying heartbreak around with her for the past 11 years after the accident. She understands the pain for the deceased family and is very hurt about what happened herself. She has tried her utter most to console with the Family, so don’t ever think she does not care.

Thirdly she was not drunk, the charges are reckless and dangerous driving, first of all I refuse to believe my mother was driving recklessly or dangerous, as I’ve been in a car with her countless times and nothing has happened. On this occasion it was unfortunate, she was unlucky, her car flipped over which happens to a number of cars and another car smashed into her. She was in a coma for days, she could have easily lost her life, but thankfully, by Gods strength only she survived. She did not set out that day trying to kill someone or herself.

Right now my mother is broken, and needs the prayer and support of all Nigerians, so please put all your conspiracies about this matter aside, I know it’s between her and God now.

Join us, myself, Craig her son who is 14, Malcolm and Brian her other sons and her beautiful Daughter Zino who is just 8, and the rest of her family, to pray for my Mother. Let God decide what is just and what is not.

Whatever your religion, join us and Pray for my mother as well as the family of the deceased. We can all get through this but not without God.

Thank you for reading, may God bless you all.”

172 Comments on ‘My mother needs the prayer and support of all Nigerians’ – Ibinabo Fiberesima’s Son Pens Heartfelt Open Letter
  • Estar Bablo March 12, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I totally agree with him and will have her in my prayers.

• Damilola March 12, 2016 at 6:48 pm

This situation is heartbreaking from both sides of the family. I sympathize, with you and your siblings because seeing your mom go through such is very difficult. But death is the most difficult experience one can ever go through especially when it happened through something that could have been prevented. However, life is about consequences. Whether intentional or not, you deal with what comes after your action. And if people don’t receive consequence, then life will be lawless and chaotic.

• slice March 12, 2016 at 8:17 pm

People need to understand that just because you killed someone doesn’t make you legally guilty. In other words shit happens

• Anoy March 13, 2016 at 12:14 am

Cool cat June 7, 2014 at 7:17 pm
        I actually saw the accident the night it happened, Ibinabo was coming from a party in lekki, the celebrant is married to a white man and they had been smoking substances and drinking heavily. Ibinabo was so drunk and the car she was driving crossed into the opposite lane and hit the doctor. Yes I did stop to see, the driver was still in his car, probably still alive but trust Nigerians to just pronounce someone dead without rushing them to hospital. It’s one of the few times I’ve ever seen a dying person and believe me, every time I see Ibinabo on the internet the whole scene just replays in my head. How much more the family? What’s done is done but she should not play the grieving family card. Has she paid for her crime? I think not! She as well as anyone knows it was intentional. You don’t drink and drive period. One of her friends alero was screaming “and I told IB not to drive o”. How can she now say it wasn’t intentional? If she is asked 100 times a day, she must respond accordingly and apologies even more. This attitude of this being the last time she will address the issue is rather insensitive.

• June Ud March 13, 2016 at 11:39 am

I totally agree! I do sympathise with both families. But we must be held responsible for our actions, with intent or without intent. We would sure keep your mum In prayers.

beautifullyjune.blogspot.com

• kadara March 12, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Coma ke,didn’t she run away from the scene and even take the particulars of the car with her so that it would not be traced to her friend Daniel Wilson who was the owner of the car. She went and hid in a friend’s house in Ikoyi. Unfortunately for her and fortunately for the family witnesses saw her. Fleeing the scene and trying to tamper with evidence would have further worked against her.

• Lagos is my home March 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Son please save this story …your mum committed a crime and should pay. She was high on alcohol and marijuana. She ran away from the scene so what coma are u talking about. She was never remorseful and it was disgusting to watch

For her to make you lie for her is even disturbing. Ask her again what coma. ? And come back to rewrite this letter

• Žainab Adeyemi March 12, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Everybody needs prayer your mum inclusive. I still believe she deserve to be punished. Manslaugher is still a crime by our constitution

• Replyer March 12, 2016 at 10:35 pm

This incident happened 10/11 years ago, if she owned up , 5 years would have been over and she would have moved on with life, see how funny this world is, in between she got married, had a child and became president or actors guild, now this thing has come to hunt her. God no dey sleep oh
      My darling boy we will pray for her to endure and be strong and for Gods will to be done. Not man.

• tigriseu March 13, 2016 at 2:30 am

It would be better if the sites posting this news, would give an accurate account of what happened. Some are not even noting that the victim died in this case. Even though it’s been years, the first accounts of the accident that were reported at the time, was that she was driving drunk, and then after injuring the victim, she left the scene with her people, without offering aid to the dying doctor. If that is truly the case, then you can imagine, why the doctor’s family and the prosecution have continued to push for justice. At the time and with the various appeals, there was a sense that the accused was not entirely remorseful.

With time the accused as gained esteem and power by associating with the last political regime. She as lived freely, as depicted by the media, that many were not even aware the case was still pending. Unfortunately, she is now a mother, and for that many empathize with her.

The issue many are struggling with is – should she be punished for her old self, or forgiven for who she supposedly is now…

• ugo March 13, 2016 at 10:03 am

Pray you are not in the same sitch and hand out such a harsh judgeement. Until you are in her shoes wrong or not, it is easy to talk. Pray for the wrong you have done,which you have as we are all not perfect, you are not punished in a harsh way when you knew you did it.

Imagine finding out your popsy (this is just hypothetical- not insulting your popsy or you- just coming from another angle) is guilty of stealing and has been doing so for years and it has fueled the plush life in Lekki you have been living, trips abroad, schooling abroad etc. Then EFCC catch him and he is in the papers and sentenced to 10 years. With all the evidence would you “still believe she deserve to be punished. As theft is still a crime by our constitution” ?.

Either way she needs sincere prayers and not judgement.

Ibinabo una do. I’m praying for you. May mercy prevail.

• Ijebujesha March 13, 2016 at 3:03 pm

A human life is involved here. May Fairness and Justice prevail.

• Marlvina March 12, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Awww. God is in control and would keep her family safe. Its unfortunate what happened.

• Ba March 12, 2016 at 8:45 pm

let’s drive carefully & respect the road safety laws.

• nene March 12, 2016 at 5:24 pm

nna i commend your letter but your mother must go to jail. all u have written are based on sentiments, which i totally understand but she has to serve her time. ibinabo is down to earth and a free spirit, yes, but her past has come back to hunt her (life is like a circle). she destroyed relationships and marriages, and destroyed people lives, and lived a reckless life when she was younger, and although she didn’t kill anyone back then, she finally killed someone years later, and it is pay back time. God does not sleep, even if you repent, we must all pay for our sins. seems like ibinabo might be dealing with depression also, but what you sow in life, you must reap. i hope jail changes her for the better.

• agatha March 12, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Nene go to hell. You did not need to read and comment on this post. Were do you get off kicking a person who is already fallen and grovelling on the ground. Whatever happened to forgiveness. It was an ACCIDEN, meaning it can happen to anyone, including your self!!!!. It was not premeditated . She must go to prison as if You are God!!!!. I hope God hears the pleads of her children, consoles the family and save her from prison. You disgust me nene what a hard nose cow! You are. Imsgine if you had been punished for every Sin you commited., for every accident you caused. Imagine if yourvheart felt sorry was never enough. God forbid you. Just pray you never find yourself in this position. Becsuse na As you judge for this matter Na so you will be judged also Amen.

• Ijebujesha March 13, 2016 at 6:24 am

Shit happens but when you cause shit to happen,be ready to pay a price. She doesn’t have a choice, try as she may…she will do that time.When you are high on alcohol and/or drugs and you get behind the wheels, you should know the likely consequences. If you did not forgive the innocent co-road users who didnt offend you by not drinking before driving, why should the State forgive you? The State cannot and should not play GOD. Forgiveness is for God. The State is to do justice majorly to serve as deterrent, that people may know that (in)actions do have consequences. Indonesia killed people.for mere drug offences despite globa plea and outcry, I dont support that but they were trying to.pass across a strong message across. Serious countries use thier Justice system to send signals in a bid to positively shape society. But many have gotten so used to the notion that Nigeria is a place where anything goe such that when propierty is about to supercede as in this instance, it seems strange and people start getting sentimental.

• Miss_Flygerian March 13, 2016 at 11:30 am

Stories that tosh, akuko for the gods…..that’s what your comment really is. There is simply no excuse or justification for driving under the influence in the first place. Getting drunk is certainly not an accident. Drinking too much is a conscious action. You people just use your hands to type trash because it is not your father/brother/husband/son that was killed as a result of someone’s stupidity and irresponsibility. She did the crime, she better serve the time. It’s only in Nigeria that justice gets served 10 years later.

@Iphee- How insensitive can you really be to type that no matter the length of the sentence, the deceased will not come back? You are even more insensitive than the supposedly “insensitive” ones like us who think Ibinabo deserves to go to jail. It’s not your fault sha. When someone drives under the influence and kills your relative in the process, come back and tell us this nonsense again. Do you know how many people get killed every year from drunk drivers? People’s lives cut short as a result of other people’s foolishness. She has to pay and serve as a deterrent to others who think it is okay to drink and drive.

• AdaAda March 13, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Excuse me Agatha, is a paltry 5 year prison term for manslaughter the end of the world? How about the victim that has been no more for the last 10 years and will be for eternity? What of his family that have been deprived of his presence forever? If Ibinabo is in jail, can her family and friends not visit? Honestly, Ibinabo accepting the jail term is the least she can do to console the aggrieved family of the deceased. Let her take it as penance for her ‘mistake’ and move on. In life, there are consequences for our mistakes and being kind and down to earth will not change this fact.

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 14, 2016 at 12:45 am

@agatha, while I understand that you feel plenty of empathy for the Fibresimma family at this time, I have to correct your statement in caps.

If you’re intoxicated and decide to drive, any injury or damage caused by you isn’t considered as accidental. Reckless endangerment to life (yours and that of others), just doesn’t qualify as an accident, under the law.

• Iphee March 12, 2016 at 10:30 pm

God has a reason for asking us to forgive. We are so quick to judge. None of us was there to know what truly happened. Don’t get me wrong I feel for the family of the deceased but even if IB serves a life sentence their son will not come back.

• fleur March 13, 2016 at 1:51 pm

The essence of serving time is not to bring the man back or compensate those he left behind. It is ţo show that there are dire consequences for driving under the influence. This can then serve as a deterrent to others. As her family cries out in pain, it is a reminder of the cries of the late docs family these 11 years. Some may even argue the pain on Ibinabos side is less because they can visit her in jail. These are not issues of revenge or got ya. They are not light hearted matters either. Both have suffered a grave loss. People make grave mistakes and often suffer life changing consequences. This is why calling God before you step out everyday to order your footsteps is important.

• voice of reason March 13, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Agatha and iphee or whatever you call yourselves. 3 words for you. You’re both morons. Enough said.

• Chinelo March 13, 2016 at 9:42 am

@Nene Like you said GOD DOES NOT SLEEP. Just as you sit on your chief judge chair listing her sins for her children to read, expecially now that they are in distress ( just when I think I’ve seen it all , people never cease to amaze me ) May your sins be exposed too, to your nearest and dearest and revisited on you also with punishment. That is what you feel is justice okwa ya. You need to apologise to those children. What you wrote is unbelievable and wicked. You do not speck for the victims of this accident. You’ve just taken it to a new level of wicked personal vindictive vindication as if you’ve being waiting for her down fall. WETIN SHE AND HER CHILDREN DO YOU? Sean May your mothers enemies never triumph over her situation. May God cut short their wicked celebration. God does not sleep.

• Natu March 12, 2016 at 5:25 pm

There are three sides to every story:your side. The other party’s side and the truth.

• Fa March 12, 2016 at 5:27 pm

So touching…. But u could have said ur brothers and sister!

• pattcute March 12, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Well, I really feel sorry for her kids. If she has reached out to the family, I think her licence could be ceased for 10 years on probation or community service. No matter what we do, the dead can never come back ( my sympathy to the family of the deceased) but pls. #pardonibinabo

• kokoqueen March 12, 2016 at 5:37 pm

No one is perfect. Truth is even if IB spends 100years in jail, it won’t brink back the Dr. The doctor’s family should let him Rest in Peace. Please do not take these lovely kids mother away. This open letter just broke my heart……

• Leah March 12, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Yes because we all should get away with killing people because punishment will not bring back the victim. And you attacking the victim’s family is just disgusting.

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 14, 2016 at 12:54 am

I honestly think that Nigeria has been in a state of anarchy for so damn long that we’ve completely lost our understanding of crime and punishment.

• Replyer March 12, 2016 at 6:43 pm

All this talk about her sentence will not bring the man back, if you were the wife ,sibling or child of the deceased, you’ll be singing a different tune, lets just do what’s right my dear, I love ibinabo but she should just serve her time and before we know it 5years will be over, and she will return to her kids.because of her time they should reduce her jail time and gv her serious community service.

• Green March 12, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Y’all should stop with this ill-thought conjecture that her going to jail will serve no purpose whatsoever. She committed a crime, A CRIME for God’s sake. We might as well let go of all the thieves and well-meaning murderers with no more than a pat on their backs simply because they seem sorry. Pschew.

• Justice March 13, 2016 at 10:41 am

The only common sense response I’ve read on here.

So being famous stops you from facing prison or accepting and owing up to your responsibilities? Complete and utter rubbish.

Everyone who feels for the boy and understand his perspective should see it from the descended family’s perspective. You’ll soon want justice to prevail.

I’m actually proud of the Nigerian government for doing the right thing #lovemycountry

• Truth March 12, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Look at how Nigerians are easily swayed. Be using sentiments and not facts to make decisions. The man that died too had a family so this boy’s letter is a snooze fest really. I have absolutely NO compassion for murderers, even if it was mother Theresa herself…a human being died because of you and you MUST face the consequences.
      A lot of you are so disgusting, trying to explain how jail term wouldn’t bring back the dead…why not just stop and THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE

• Iris March 13, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Think about your comment.. If the victim’s family had written an open letter talking about how her going to jail will bring closure, would you have told them nothing will bring their loved one back? What if it was your own family member?
      I really feel awful for her but we like to talk about injustice in Nigeria and this is an example of how justice works. I know an accident can happen to anyone but from an unemotional standpoint she was in the wrong. If she really was driving drunk, then from a legal standpoint she is definitely in the wrong.

• kele March 14, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Okay. because her incarceration wont bring back the doctor, she should just skip off into the golden sunset abi? Going by this your logic, no rapist should be jailed because justice cant unwind the rape. Do you now see how flawed your logic is? DO YOU??? If you commit the crime, you do the time. A prison is a correctional institution i.e. when you are done, hopefully you will have learnt your lesson and it would serve as a deterrent to other people.

oh and FYI, it is not the bereaved family prosecuting Ibinabo as manslaughter is not a civil case. it is the State Vs Ibinabo. and thankfully, she can’t beg the State to drop the case.

• ab March 12, 2016 at 5:39 pm

bless you Son! it is well

• Nakoms March 12, 2016 at 5:42 pm

So much sorrow and heartaches in this world. How a moment of decision changes lives, destinies. My heart goes out to your family and the family of the dearly departed. It is well.

• Pretty girl March 12, 2016 at 6:05 pm

My dear it is well I just fell sorry for her children and she just got married.i will put u guys in my prayers

• opuingo March 12, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I feel so bad about this, Lord help both families

• beard gang March 12, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Please Lagos state, if this truly was an accident then the sentence is not just. Little Fiberesima if it was proven beyond reasonable doubt that somebody lost his life because of your mom’s recklessness and probably DUI then I’m sorry dear but your mother deserves to do time. if you guys think she was wrongly accused and wrongly sentenced, make your case and hire good counsel but if not accept your sentence or beg for a plea of mitigation.

• adelegirl March 13, 2016 at 7:14 am

Lol at “little fiberisima”. Nigerians are something else!

• Ewa March 12, 2016 at 6:11 pm

It’s unfortunate the actions of your mum has put your family into this painful situation.. This isn’t the time to be on social media trying to explain the difference between drunk driving and reckless / dangerous driving. Consoling the family isn’t the issue here. I’m sure the family of the deceased have left her to God sef. Manslaughter happened. She has a case with the state and not the family. The state found her guilty and have passed judgement. I feel for both families. Both families are greatly affected by this. Sad story….

• slice March 12, 2016 at 8:21 pm

There is a huge diff between the two. Drunk driving means u were tested after the accident and blood contained over the limit alcohol. The other is a matter of fact. So what facts led this judge to say reckless driving. She shd appeal to next level

• lea valley March 12, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Eeya!! But if your mum was found guilty of the offence it is only fair that she takes responsibility for her actions. I can imagine what you guys are going through but the law must take its course. That is the only way humans can feel safe. Stay strong

• deborah king March 12, 2016 at 11:21 pm

How can u imagine?? Has ur mom ever been imprisoned for manslaughter?? If not…then no…u cant imagine.

• nne March 12, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Sean, if your mum was in Europe or America and was involved in an accident that claimed someone’s life, she would more likely than not have gone to jail 11 years ago Her life may be put on hold for five years, but mistake or not, another person’s life is over. Let her humbly go to jail and serve her term. Life isnt fair. She will survive, the deceased’s family is the one that needs our ceaseless prayer.

• Jess March 12, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Oh my. God be with her and both families.

naturalnimi.wordpress.com/2016/03/12/skentele-or-skontolo-double-gele-tutorial

• xyno March 12, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Sorry to sound harsh but no bruv. We won’t pray for her. I understand you have to defend your mum and all but you weren’t there the day the accident happened so hush it. A court of law that had all the facts has found her guilty and that’s what counts. If there was no evidence of wrong doing on her part, I guess she’ll get off as not guilty. Ask yourself this son. If the roles were reversed and it was your mum that got hit by the doctor’s car that day will u make excuses for him? Put yourself in his family’s shoes too. It won’t bring him back but they’ll be happy knowing justice has been served.

• Sanctified March 12, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Sean! Its either your mum did not tell you the truth about the accident or you chose to imagine what happened ?Your mother was drunk and even ran away from the scene of the accident to hide at a friend’s place in Ikoyi when she realised what her actions had caused. She was never in any coma .
    Yes ,she is a good mother ,but have you thought about the family of the deceased ?Do you know what they have had to endure due to the reckless actions of your mother ,They are never going to see their father again.Asking us to pray for her because she was handed a 5 year sentence is quite insensitive to the family of the deceased ,at least you get to see your mother .Imagine you were the child of the dead man , how will you react to the post above.

• Uju March 12, 2016 at 8:08 pm

God Bless you for this, it’s unbelievable how our people play sentiments. You’ve spent all this time with your mum. You can still go visit her and will be out in 5 years but does the mans family have such luxury ?
      Young man this is not the time for social media, our opinions ultimately cannot change the outcome so spend your time caring for your siblings and comforting your mother. P.S it. Would have been nice if you tagged them as your brothers and sisters and not “her son” and “her daughter”. #justsaying.

• X March 12, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Sad! RIP to the life lost. But a sentence of 5 yrs….10 years later for an accident (literally) is a bit harsh. #staystrong

• mo March 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm

It will be a bit harsh when the victim is not your dad or your husband……smh.

• Cynthia March 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm

This boy sounds rude! And this does not sound like a polite request in a slightest!
    The tone of your write up is not appropriate on some level. You do not tell people “so please put your conspiracies aside” it sounds impolite and if anything it will aggravate readers rather than generate the empathy you seek from them cos it comes across like you are accusing rather than pleading for empathy. I couldn’t even continue reading it as I was put off by that. I Got better things to do

#wrong approach to making a plea

• slice March 12, 2016 at 8:22 pm

He’s not. It is a perfectly written letter for someone his age he’s trying to save his family

• Truth March 12, 2016 at 9:57 pm

EXACTLY…his “letter” actually made me angry. Are we fools? Who is he lying to? And the way he’s ordering us to put the TRUTH aside?????????????? My friend will you gerrarahere. Your mama is going to jail, no amount of prayer will stop this from happening. God is a just God and He will not let evil prevail.

• bbb March 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Five years is fair!!! Leave sentiments and let’s face reality!!

• Leah March 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I reserve my sympathy and support for the victim and his family. At least you and your siblings have had your mother for all these years, something the other family wish they had. Your mother was indeed drunk that night and is STILL getting herself heavily intoxicated at parties since the incident. If this happened in any law abiding Country, she would have already been in prison and she knows it.

• bbb March 12, 2016 at 6:45 pm

What if the doctor killed your mother?? Ur open letter will be for justice instead!!

• Anonymous March 12, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Why don’t we like paying the prize for our actions in this country. Reckless and drunk driving made you kill someone and you want to pay 100k fine. Even after forgiveness, there is always a punishment. Make she do her time abeg.

• ATL’s finest March 12, 2016 at 10:54 pm

You are correct although I still feel for her, but like the saying goes, if u can’t do the time, don’t do the crime 🙁

• madman March 12, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Killing other people is unacceptable.

• dem March 12, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Oh Sean, it is so unfortunate you are feeling this way together with your siblings I am very sure you are well read and understand what law of the land is . No one is against your mother but she only need to face the law . If she does not believe in judicial system , she wouldn’t have been fighting for Nolly wood position or leadership . .Law apart ,you are having a beautiful family picture and travelling around for family holiday , playing happy family , have you given It a thought how the deceased children will be feeling without father or money or without family picture to play happy family , do you ever put yourself in the deceased children? Please sentiment apart , you may be very small and have no knowledge of the gravity of the accident , Sean, your mum could have gone off the hook if not that she was drunk on steering . Imaging your life or mum’s for 100k? Is that a judgement . Your mum was never remorseful at all . Please let the sleeping dog lies . Sean your mum is only going for 5 years but Dr Giwaa is for eternity. Dr Giwa and family are the victim and not Ibinabo . Enough of all this rating . I rather respect you apologising to the diseased family . Your mum is not above the law . You need to respect the judgement rather than denying that you can’t believe that your mum was driving rough . It shows arrogance and unremorseful trait in your gene just as your mum. Pls as a UK trained graduate I expect you to respect the law.
    Lastly Sean , I advice you to stop infruriating anger in the public over you mum’s situation. To me the justice system is getting better if want a Good Nigeria . Also deal with Lagos government not the victim .

• slice March 12, 2016 at 8:18 pm

How do u know she was drunk. They’ve not released any testing they did that day to show she was drunk

• Left Hand Bionic March 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Lovr uoy for this……@slice…..move 1million paces backward abeg

• Uju March 12, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Temper justice with mercy!!

They can offer a suspended sentence instead. I will pray for her

• Somborri March 13, 2016 at 12:20 am

“They can offer a suspended sentence instead”. I would’ve laughed but this is no laughing matter. First ,may I ask you why? Because she’s a celeb? Because she’s a mother? Because the deceased Dr’s life is less valuable than hers? Because his own family miss him less than hers will? Secondly, it seems you’ve got a court of law all mixed up with a supermarket “they can offer”…Indeed! A. Life. Was. Lost. Someone. Was. Killed. There is a prescribed penalty which is why the incredibly lousy sentence handed down by the magistrate court was upturned. I rest my case.

• saleh March 13, 2016 at 2:35 am

Would have said that if it was your parent that was killed by a drunken driver who have been having the fun of life these past years while your parent you miss greatly is gone for ever. leave trash for lawma jor

• Funmi March 12, 2016 at 7:17 pm

See me see wahala oo. I thought this woman has already served her time. Please someone explain.

• Person March 12, 2016 at 8:50 pm

She didn’t. She spent 6 months in jail and was out on bail pending appeal. The appeal has been dismissed, hence her immediate rearrest. She has to serve the 5 years. Sh might get credit for time already served.

• Replyer March 12, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Funmi I thought the same oh, but now we r hearing she paid 100k fine kpere. Her money has been returned to her.

• Amaa March 13, 2016 at 12:43 am

If you believe what you read this is the jist. She killed someone and was found guilty for manslaugter the magistrate court ask her to pay a fine of 100000 . The family went to court because not only is manslaughter a crime it does not have an option of fine . So the court of appeal said that the lower court erred in giving the fine option . Even if she goes to Supreme Court they will affirm it . She should go to jail serve out her term but I suspect she will go to Supreme Court

• ‘Deola March 13, 2016 at 1:04 am

I thought so too. Maybe the years spent in police custody or jail will be deducted from 5 years sentence .

No one is better off in this instance. Government will lose taxes from her and society will lose for having to take care of her in jail. And we have already lost the money invested in training the doctor that was killed and the likely contributions he would have made in society by saving lives and caring for the sick.

@ Sean, I pray for your mum and the members of your family. I can’t imagine how tough it would be without a bread winner . Someone has to take care of your emotional and physical well-being while she is away. I am hoping your father or fathers , and other family members step up to lighten your burden.

And I also pray for the wife and the children of the doctor that was killed. I hope BN can help feature their lives since they lost a bread winner. I wonder how they have coped and continue to cope. May God continue to ease their burden and provide for their needs.

In all, no one prays fro the death of a productive citizen in the prime of their lives, neither does one pray for the disruption prison sentences bring to normal family life. I think that is why we must take reasonable care to be safe and not to put others in danger when we are on the road. Impared driving is serious and brings an emotional toll on everyone involved.

• P March 12, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I think 5 years is too short for killing a human being. The fact that she is going about from one court to another shows she does not feel any remorse. Instead of being grateful to God it is only 5 years.

• Author Unknown March 12, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Ibinabo should have completely gone off the radar after this incident several years ago. I feel sorry for her kids, as I do kids of several irresponsible and ‘unlucky’ parents. What makes it more heartbreaking in this case, if I’m not mistaken, is that she had these kids with different men, and is solely raising them. What then is their fate? I know all of these concerns are nothing compared to what the family of the late doctor has had to go through. Without a doubt she did not set out to kill anyone, but the law has its consequences even for manslaughter. My prayers are with both sides, and I pray that me and my loved ones never find ourselves in a unintentional mess.

• Ijebujesha March 13, 2016 at 6:35 am

When you are an adult and you are drunk and you get behind the wheels, there is a justifiable presumption of setting out to kill.

• bumble bee March 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Exactly!!! As most people have said.. Sean if it was your mother than a drunk driver killed, will u tell the world to pray for her.. sometimes people amuse me so because sentencing her won’t bring the man back, they should let her off the hook right? Then cool, why are people not going around killing anyone and let them be let off the hook because no matter the punishment they receive they won’t bring the dead back.. Infact to prove to you that this is a lawless country, this same ibinabo who had this kind of allegation upon her head contested for the president of agn and subsequently won.. went to aso rock, wined and dined with the president while she had this serious allegation levelled on her, you are telling us to pray for your mother,, let me ask you how many times have you remembered the late dr’s family in your prayers? To go to jail for 5years, you are crying wolf.. please enough with the pity party, even after the accident, I know how many times I saw your mom in the club still drinking heavily and smoking, let me not talk about the way she organises girls for most of the politicians in ph!!! Every1 knows!!! But someone is now a widow, kids fatherless, a parent has lost their son and the breadwinner of a family is dead all because of the reckless action of your mother.. my dear i’lll keep my prayers for someone who deserves it

• Spunky March 12, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I’m really sorry you and your siblings have to experience this…this is a sensitive issue and in as much as I want to empathize with you, I will go with the majority who understand she has to do time. This is how the law works. Be strong and pull yourself and your siblings together. This too shall pass.

• Bimbo March 12, 2016 at 7:44 pm

What about the man she killed and his family. Not only did she end his life she was prancing around like a peacock after the incident. The fact that she was charged with reckless diving says enough but added on top of it was the way she was galluvanting around with no respect for the family of the deceased. She should have kept a low profile but she foolishly decided not to.

• kilipot March 12, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Ever since I read of the resurrection of this case, all my mind is telling me is to be a more careful driver. See gobe.
    The lady who got killed by a danfo driver comes to mind too. Wish the driver was caught and punished accordingly. If only our judicial system and every other system was working, If for every action there was a consquence truly we all will be on our best behavior.
    We all will think twice before any misdemeanor.

• kozy March 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

As heart touching as dx was, this is definitely not her son writing cos if it we’re how can he say dx,” Craig her son (Instead of my brother) malcom n Brian her oda sons (aint they his brodas too), zino her daughter (isn’t she Ur sister)? He as talking as an outsider not a son of d family. Pls whoever wrote dx letter shud own up

• Omo jesu March 12, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Fairness in protection of rights and punishment of wrongs is what our children should be taught not on how to bend the law to suit them
    .Your requested to pray for your mum should be that the Lord would help her have genuine contrite heart while serving her jail term. Not to escape justice.

• Omo jesu March 12, 2016 at 8:33 pm

“Your request “

• mrs chidukane March 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm

I’m sorry, I know this is off topic but I love her children’s names. So cute, lol. It’s a sad thing that happened all round. May the deceased rest in peace.

• beauty March 12, 2016 at 8:56 pm

I pray a miracle happens for her, it’s well.

• ifa March 12, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Oro yi o bu so si mi lenu, o wa bu iyo si (fart and salt in my mouth) *yoruba adage

• Noname March 12, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Horrible letter and like someone said sounds smug and insincere. E be like say the pikin get im mama fish brain. All na hogwash. Didn’t the other children come out of the same stomach as him fa. The way he referred to them shows bad upbringing.

• mercy March 12, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Na wa 4 dis boy, him 4get say na era of change we dey? No offender will go unpunished again oh. It’s a pity but it looks like ur mom won’t escape dis one. Biko take heart.

• ifa March 12, 2016 at 10:09 pm

This talk…obu so si mi lenu o wa bu iyo si (fart and salt in my mouth) *yoruba adage

• PD Young Billionaire March 12, 2016 at 10:22 pm

I pray for God’s mercy on your mum but it’s also a good thing that the justice system in Nig is getting better.May God continue to comfort the doctor’s family.

• abbey March 12, 2016 at 10:25 pm

We all must face the consequences of our actions..I pray God grants the family of the late doctor peace..maybe ibinabo should have calmed down on d social life thing..i am sure the docs family were just watching n waiting in one corner..but truth is no amount of jail time will bring d doc back, even if she was hung today (God forbid) it still won’t bring him back…Nothing will bring him back..

• Tolu March 12, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Sean, if your mother had accepted her [very lenient considering a family will never again see their son/brother/husband/father] sentence when it was first conferred, she would in all likelihood be back at home now having served her time with a likely early release. But your tone reflects the her actions. It wreaks of entitlement and disdain for the law when your on the disciplinary end. Hopefully you will grow to see this whole mess as it is and not how you choose it to be. And hopefully after the 5 years, your mother will see the same.

• Apples March 12, 2016 at 11:54 pm

As heartbreaking as it is, the truth is she has to accept this….. the family should too!

• sandra March 13, 2016 at 12:07 am

It is well with both families. I pray your mum does not go to jail in the mighty name of Jesus. AMEN!

• larai March 13, 2016 at 12:08 am

Guys!!! Yes d did has been done!!! And I plead with d girls family to forgive and let go.no matter what punishment she goes thru will not reverse d clock.but let’s look at this from God’s angle that all things work together for good,though it doesn’t look or feel so.her serving d jail terms doesn’t still change anything. All I am saying is let’s forgive and allow God do HIS thing.it could happen to any of us u see.vengience is HIS,not man.of course I understand d law,but shouldn’t we instead plead for mercy? I do feel for d family of d late and ibinabos,but we can’t turn back d hands of d clock now.all I am saying is forgiveness!!!

• Ijebujesha March 13, 2016 at 6:41 am

Forgiveness is.for God and the family. Fairness and Justice is for the State.

• adelegirl March 13, 2016 at 6:55 am

Your extremely inane comment irked me more than others with a similar tone (forgive, jail term won’t bring back the dead, bla bla) especially because of the bad grammar and obviously poor grasp of the issues. Talmabout “the girl’s family to forgive and let go” and unnecessary bible thumping. Please go and sit down somewhere, read a book and stay off commenting on issues you have no grasp of

• kele March 14, 2016 at 3:24 pm

I’m happy I was able to like your comment more than once.

• crystaldrop March 13, 2016 at 11:57 am

Yes.it can happen to any of us who is stupid enough to DUI……..nigerians and sentiments…….mschewwww!!!!!!

• aikay March 13, 2016 at 12:09 am

Dear Craig, this may not be the right time to say this cos we are humans and as such should show mercy at times like this but the truth is that your mum is not really a good person. Just look at other mums in ur neighbourhood and compare then you will know the truth. You have four siblings with apparently different fathers and I bet ur sis was fathered by Fred amata who your mum ruined his marriage to Agatha Amata and went ahead to conceive for him. It’s really sad how we av forgotten the past so soon and failed to remember how wayward Ibinabo was during her hay days. Yes the past came calling and I do think she deserve it cos I can bet my 2cents that she was drunk and driving wen she killed that Dr. Even up till now she still parties like a single girl and I wondered if she is stilled married. Craig your mum may have done a good job protecting her image before you and your siblings but the truth is that the public sees her differently and many pple have been waiting to see her end up badly and this might just be a way nature is trying to answer their prayers. The EVIL dt men do have started living with dem these days and not after them#The Law Of Karma#

• Bey March 13, 2016 at 12:56 am

Dear Sean, I feel your pain. But I feel more pain for the victims family, for the widow, for the kids. Their lives will never be the same again. I’m sure they wld prefer for places to be switched. That the father shld be the one going to jail.And atleast they will see him after 5yrs.
    In the 10yrs since the accident, life has gone on for your family. Your sister was born 8yrs ago, your mum got married. She won the President for d actors guilt thing or whatever it’s called.
    Your mum needs to pay for her sins. I’m sure she may not even spend the whole 5yrs there. She will probably be released before then.
    This isn’t the fact of the public hating her. But due process needs to be followed, let this be a warning to people. We have too many reckless drivers in dis country.
    I wish your family well.

• Funsho March 13, 2016 at 2:30 am

I can’t but think they are coming for all the sinners one by one

All of you jumping up and down Aso Rock during elections they shall dig up all sins and fire you nicely.

Just thinking out loud as usual

• franca Ezekiel March 13, 2016 at 3:26 am

To err is human but to forgive is divine. #pardonibinaboforthechildrenssake

• Ijebujesha March 13, 2016 at 6:44 am

#JusticeforDrGiwathatsocietymighthavelessfatherlesschildrenasaresultofrecklessnessofsome.

• adelegirl March 13, 2016 at 6:58 am

Who is going to #bringbackthedeaddoctorforhiswifeandchildren’sssake?!

• ElessarisElendil March 13, 2016 at 3:41 am

Ehh, I’ll pray for her but the law is the law. We’re either a nation of laws or savages. Do the crime, pay the price.

If we start conflating mercy with justice, what about those Fathers that rob people because they are no jobs and their children are starving? The line of the law is rigid for a reason.

• Passingby March 13, 2016 at 4:33 am

Dear Sean. You made a mistake by posting this what I believe to be a beautiful picture of you and your siblings and your beautiful mother as background to your plea letter. This is Nigeria that picture just infuriates people and in the guise of justice for the victim they come out here unashamedly wishing you and your family ill.
    I digress , but Back in the day if you accidentally knock a person down if you are still on the scene by the time the crowd gets there my dear you’ll be lynched. If they discover the person knocked down isn’t dead after all they’ll lynch the person too. No heart in the matter o! It’s called jungle justice.
    Back to the matter , its good you read these comments and see the heart of my good Christian people .But don’t be discouraged. And don’t be deceived by the bay for justice these people do not like your mother period, they don’t even no what really happened, they don’t give a F bout the victim although they are making it out to be a case of justice, looool. Child They’ll hang her yellow ass for a lesser crime, just to make dem ugly selves feel better. Now is the time to Gather your loved ones, fast and pray I’ll say a prayer for all the victims of this tragic event. Stay strong, stay the hell away from social media for the time being ( God don’t live here) Protect your younger siblings from social media too . Your mama is a strong woman. No matter what happens keep on smiling , God is you strength stay strong.

• ElessarisElendil March 13, 2016 at 4:47 am

You show so much disdain for the law and its repercussions against crime in the name of being ‘Christian’. Excellent, kindly move to one of the many failed states where such a distinction doesn’t exist, see how you enjoy it.

• Passingby March 13, 2016 at 5:19 pm

never said I was a Christian Elesaris watsit. Anyway why argue you are obviously the judge and jury. You are also omnipotent , and blessed with chronesthesia hence are able to give an accurate account of what actually happened on the day . I figure you can also read minds so I can cut out the moderator middleman. When I say …………………….”………………………………………………………………….. Yep, oh and eat my …………………………..

• Word March 13, 2016 at 7:23 am

Sean ,my son, God is in control. Don’t let these comments get to you. These people are frustrated and wicked. Please protect your siblings and keep them away from social media. God is grace and has forgiven your mother. He has also blessed the victim’s family. Both families are in God’s control. It is well!

• Word March 13, 2016 at 7:24 am

That is why I say Nigerians are wicked and envious!

• Ijebujesha March 13, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Nigerians are not wicked, look inwards..you are the wicked one. Unlike you, many here simply VALUE human lives and understand that since a life was lost, justice has to prevail to serve as deterrent and by extension, reduce such incidences.

• keke March 13, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Wicked for asking for justice to be served? This is why black race will be at the rock bottom of humanity, we are so sentimental. Ibinabo is not being persecuted for her political or social affiliation, she killed a man for goodness sake. If the case was reversed, Ibinabo got killed by the Doctor, would you be here asking the Doctor be pardoned? Wow! I can’t be believe people like you still exist.

• Word March 14, 2016 at 6:52 pm

@Kele, you just listed the reasons why are you envious. Did you read take the time to read the all the comments about her political affiliation, the number of children she had with different men, she is a husband snatcher, or she is a club girl. You are naive , if you believe some of these comments are because of justice for the victim and his family.

• Word March 13, 2016 at 5:10 pm

@Ijebu or whatever you call yourself. Yes, Nigerians are wicked, especially you! What has this case got to do with number of kids she has with different men or the fact she campaigned for the last government? Yes, you can condemn her for this case but not for other issues that has nothing do with the death of Dr. Giwa.
      Like the previous commenter raised, you all don’t really care about the victim and his family. It is personal for some of you. I pray for healing on behalf of both families because it is a loss not a win for both sides. But you all judging Ibinabo for her previous mistakes, you all will be judged accordingly, especially you Ijebu whatever! Take it to the bank!

• Word March 14, 2016 at 12:38 am

@Keke, I will say it again. Nigerians are wicked and envious. How many of you screaming justice have taken a second to type a prayer of peace and reconciliation for the victim’s family? Don’t get it twisted, Ibinabo will do the time for this accident that took Dr. Giwa’s life. Most of you all are rejoining and being vindictive about this lady’a demise because of bad belly and envy not because you care about the Giwa family. She will serve her time, but you all judging Ibinabo , God will judge every single one of you accordingly. This life is funny. Everything na turn turn! You have to be careful what comes out of your mouth because it will define you all .Remember Jesus’s question” if you have not sinned,cast the first stone” . That question was for the pharises and it defined Jesus’s mission on earth, which was about love, grace,and mercy! I pray for peace and reconciliation both families! God is in control. God knows I am not perfect but I thank him for his mercy and patience. Please cleanse my heart!

• kele March 14, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Stop being so silly, please. So people are clamoring for Ibinabo to serve time (not because she killed a man while she was DUI) because they are envious of her light complected skin and her political affiliations and her 5 children?
        Do you now see how dumb that sounds? I hope so.

• Word March 14, 2016 at 6:53 pm

• Tunmi March 13, 2016 at 6:02 am

This reminds me of something I read on Humans of New York. It goes something like this: those who were wronged want maximum punishment while those who did the wrong want leniency

• Noni March 13, 2016 at 6:15 am

My heart broke from reading this and my best wishes goes out to all parties. May God have mercy on us all. It’s a period of sober reflection and meditation for everyone. The lesson for us here is do not drink and drive, do not let someone drinking drive you, do not text and drive, do not FB and drive, do not be on the gram and drive. Life is precious, be your brother’s keeper. My thoughts and prayers go to the accused and the family of the doctor.

• Ada Nnewi March 14, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Omo!!! This piece sobered me up big time…. The almost accidents somebody has had in this Lagos….So many lives messed up because of one lousy decision. I pray all affected parties find closure…

• 202 March 13, 2016 at 6:23 am

Until celebrities and politicians start going to jail in Nigeria for their wrong doing. .then i doubt Nigeria will change. If this was a common person on d Street am sure he wud have been on awaiting trials for years in d prison. God saves Nigeria.

• adelegirl March 13, 2016 at 7:08 am

Well Ibinabo should be thankful she is serving her jail term in lagos state which has the only female only prison and due to the intervention of aid/donor agencies and NGOs (particularly the British govt with their prisoner repatriation scheme) has a reasonably comfy (in the circumstances) VIP section with running water, new beds and a clean bathroom. Hopefully her sojourn in prison will cause her to advocate for better treatment for female inmates across the country. I am however not holding out much hope because I am yet to see a VIP/Politician/Celeb that spent time in a Nigerian prison advocating for even refurbishment of the prison they spent time in.

• What Would Jesus Do March 13, 2016 at 8:15 am

What would Jesus do. If Jesus were to be part of the BN commentary, what would he have offered as an opinion or position.

• D March 13, 2016 at 8:24 am

there are laws and unfortunately she broke them. It’s only just she pays the price. It wasn’t premeditated but someone still lost his life because of her. Hope a miracle happens here

• Uju March 13, 2016 at 8:40 am

I m shocked.

Even for BN commenters, these comments are harsh . People actually despise this woman . I will still pray for her.

• ugo March 13, 2016 at 10:03 am

judgement *

• Bey March 13, 2016 at 10:53 am

Where is Ibinabo’s husband in all dis sef ?

• Left Hand Bionic March 13, 2016 at 10:58 am

Where there’s no Law, there’s no crime. I empathise with you Sean, buy your mum committed a crime albeit accidental she has to pay….so sorry and may the soul of the departed rest in peace

• crystaldrop March 13, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Son,I was going to pray for your mum(seriously) but after reading these comments, i’ve changed my mind.Anyway,God is the ultimate judge because he alone knows the heart of every man and what really happened dt night.if judgement is jail……..then she’s going man.And if its not,u might as well dedicate the rest of your days to ministry work.

• lola carey March 13, 2016 at 12:50 pm

@passerby.,I am sure if it was your father that was killed u would have stilled typed such trash abi?rubbish!

• Passingby March 13, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Honey hush. This ain’t got Notting to do with justice, it got vindictiveness written all over it.. I’m glad to say Lola watsit I’m NOTTING like you . I’m not vindictive. It takes a certain type of person to get pleasure from someone else’s misfortune. Now run along with your , pitch fork abi , tire and flammable fluid or whatever jungle justice paraphernalia am sure you own , perch at idmota or onitsha market and wait Ready to set fire to the next person that runs past you in a hurry. Eat my dust I got no time for petty vulture like yourself.

• Ready March 14, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Nothing. I’m NOTHING like you.

• KMT March 14, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I’m sorry this not a laughing matter my sister is in soup but I just got to LOOOOOOOOOOOOL@jungle justice paraphernalia LMAO?

• Afusat March 13, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Naija Christians have funny ways of misinterpreting the laws of the land and grace of God. We are a country of hypocrites, law breakers , liars and murderers who think by apologizing their wrongs should be forgiven . The US and other western countries are sane because after lawbreakers apologise, they serve their term. If it’s true she ran off after the accident , and was under the influence of alcohol ? Then she needs to serve the crime so as to serve as a deterrent for others.

• Blessing March 13, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I believe forgiveness is the way forward. Even she goes to jail for 5 years, it will not bring back the death person. In 5 years the family will still feel the pain and hurt she caused them so the only way is to give it all to go. No amount of jail time will change anything. Let us not be the judge and condemn because wehave all sinned and failed sort of the glory of God.

• Toholo March 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm

All this hypocritical BS about ‘not bringing the dead back’ and ‘God only can judge’.
    Nigeria is truly messed up because people just bring in stupid sentiment that has no bearing on reality. Jailing a person for reckless driving is NOT about ‘bringing anybody back to life’ for God’s sake! What kind of silly reasoning is that?

IT IS ABOUT SENDING A MESSAGE TO SOCIETY that there is a CONSEQUENCE to our actions. Nigeria STILL takes drink driving for granted and today, Sunday 13th March, hundreds or even thousands of people will go to a party, DRINK WELL-WELL, get in their cars, hit the road and put other road users at risk. And that includes you and I.
    Yes, and maybe a few are going to die today as a result. FACT.

And why will this continue to happen in shocking numbers? BECAUSE EVERYBODY IS WAITING FOR GOD TO JUDGE THE WRONGDOER and NOBODY quite gets the fact that society only recognises wrongdoing when there is a punishment for wrongdoing. Duh!

I can’t believe that all the expressed sympathy is going for the perpetrator while the victim’s family is merely an afterthought. Yes, he is dead, but SHOULD he be dead? WHY is he dead?
    He is dead because somebody DECIDED to drink at a party and get into her car and drive.
    Just like thousands are going to do tonight, and tomorrow night….and the night after….

After all, ‘God will judge’….
    Rubbish!

• Adaeze Writes March 13, 2016 at 5:29 pm

I was moved to tears by this write-up. Please let us pray for her. This is probably the harshest thing she’s ever faced. It’s not easy to go to jail and it’s worse to have the death of a man hanging over your head.
    I’ll pray for you Ibinabo and I believe with all my heart that the God who hears prayers would help you.

For thrilling stories, visit adaezewrites.com

• Toholo March 13, 2016 at 9:31 pm

You were moved to tears by this young man’s appeal. Fine.
      Were you moved to even more tears by the circumstances of the family of the deceased man?
      Just asking, because sentiment has no place in true justice.
      Let Dr Giwa’s children come and write their own appeal and let’s see whether your movement into tears get limit.

• Mary E March 13, 2016 at 6:10 pm

It is really unfortunate that after all this time she finally has to have her life truncated by going to jail. It is sad for her and her kids and even her new marriage. However, awarding a fine of 100k to the family of the deceased was a slap in their faces . If this thing had been handled properly, with proper restitution from the start I am sure the aggrieved family would have tried to put it behind them. But Nigerians are generally a selfish lot. A man, a father and husband lost his life and the family was changed forever. Justice has to be done. But I will pray for her; Ibinabo is a nice and pleasant person.

• Babe March 13, 2016 at 9:49 pm

I’m too shocked by all these comments I read on here, being locked up isn’t funny but it’s a time out for a naughty kid. Nobody wants to die but someone, with once bubbly life has been sent to the grave, and all of a sudden he stopped being the victim? Shame on anyone that says her jail time won’t bring back the dead!!! Oh is it because he’s not famous? It could have been u killed on that day. As a mother I don’t know how I can stand such News that I lost my baby over someone’s mistake. She could have taken the heroic step and make a speech about how she feels sorry and wants to pay for her crime. That would have Given her a lesser sentence years back. And help her gain respect

• Cece March 13, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Chai! My people leave the Law to judge and stop judging so harshly, truth or no truth. Most of all leave the judgement to God who is our greatest judge. Some of y’all sound kinda happy she is going to jail. Like: ‘Eh-hen! Good for her!’

I said some oh…and u know yourselves.

• Swagg1 March 14, 2016 at 12:44 am

Typical comment from an entitled brat that thinks his crap doesnt stink. How the hell can he say that his mother wasnt driving recklessly when a man lost his life on herd dime ? Well, mr teenager, your mother needs to teach you the value of HONESTY. When you commit the crime, you pay the price and stop trying to aviod justice owed to the deceased family PERIOD

• Womansberry March 14, 2016 at 9:32 am

People think before you comments. Her going to jail won’t bring the Dr back. Yes that’s true for sure. Let her be punished for drinking and driving. And for running from the sene and tampering with envidence. Her running away alone is enough for her to be jailed. My dear Letter writer your mom will never driver recklessly when you are in the car or any other siblings of yours or her. And I’ve seen your mom drink before in old GRA. In one of my ex boyfriend bosses house. So I know what she’s like when she’s drunk.

• keke driverk March 14, 2016 at 9:30 am

Am sorry lad, but you mother killed someone and shouldn’t be alowed going from one party to the other like nothing happened .

• ANY March 14, 2016 at 9:40 am

Master Sean, please help some of “us” tell your mom to use this time to reflect and let the jail time rehabilitate her, that’s the purpose. you should probably pen a letter of apology to the family, i mean that can get you sympathy from people like me (not like it matters). All those screaming forgive, i don’t know how you forgive a person that has not admitted any wrong doing…….. anyway, let’s beg the govt to free all the prisoners and let “God” be the judge. Let’s forgive Dasuki and co, let’s forgive Rev. King for setting people ablaze, because the work of the judiciary is to forgive! abeg help me hiss somebody!!!!!!!!!!

• kayode March 14, 2016 at 11:26 am

An excerpt from an article titled The need for blood alcohol concentration (BAC) Legistration in Nigeria. Article written in 2004 quite old but noting ever changes in nigeria.
    The closest law on drinking in Nigeria is based on CAP 148 (Traffic Code Law) section 27 (1) which states thus:
    Any person who when driving or attempting to drive or when in charge of a motor vehicle on a highway is under the influence of drink or drunk to an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of such vehicle shall be liable
    The interpretation of this law is a call to anarchy ( I reference y’all to the mob mentality show cased in the comment above comments) , which implies that there is no scientific bench mark to assess level of impairment. The question that agitates ones mind
    1. How does a member of FRSC or any other relevant agency /hater dictate or determine an individual is under the influence of alcohol.

Na this is the cliff hanger look away if you can’t stomach the truth

I put it to most of you that you not interested in justice, Infact if this man miraculously resurrected yall lynch his ass just so she can be convicted . Shame on you. Nigeria is the way it is because you all are petty. How many of you empty vessel have tsken a glass of wine and sat in the drivers seat. Intead of y’all to mobilise yourself and campaign for A legal BAC threshold for your safety y’all are still at mob mentality level. Law less country. Jungle justice reign supreme. I am so glad I don’t dwell amongst you baboons.

• Smh March 14, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Please kindly take a seat! If you drink a glass of wine and go ahead to sit in the driver’s seat, don’t assume others do the same. Look at the nonsense you just spewed. By the way, you claim you don’t dwell amongst “baboons” which implies you live in the West so let me ask you in the country you currently dwell, what is the law on DUI ehn? Olodo

• kayode March 14, 2016 at 1:54 pm

@ Abgaya SMH in the west there is a legal threshold meaning SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE TO PROVE THAT SOMEONE IS OVER THE DRINK DRIVE LIMIT. Nigeria does not have one. The implications to you ode! is that you can be pulled over any time by the police and charged with DRINK Driving. With the lack of any scientific measure it would be your baboon yelps against theirs. The injustice here is that there is basically no law to protect you from
        1. An unlicenced driver
        2. Drunk driver
        3. Car thst is not road worthy
        You need to use your 2 cents and buy yourself half a brain cell so you can be able to look at the bigger picture
        The family have a case against the state. A bigger pay out an hopefully an amendment to the law which will keep everyone safe on the road.
        But why I bother to try and get you to walk on two feet I wonder. You are not neutral . Heavily bias by your lack of intelligence, petty jelousy and just the general nature of your chaotic baboon Ness. At SMH I’ll ask you to take a seat but considering you are a baboon kindly pack your coconut breaking ass on the dirt floor.

• kolbrun March 14, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Some very valid points ☺.

• kele March 14, 2016 at 3:37 pm

The people who trained you are the baboons. Asinwin oshi.

• kayode March 14, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Looooooool @kele wele abi SMH your ancestors were baboons. You are still stuck at baboon level tinz today. Anumkpa.

• Toholo March 15, 2016 at 10:31 am

Kayode you are absolutely right. It is CRIMINAL that we do not even have a legally enforcible upper limit to blood alcohol levels.
      I dont even know where to start…even our police manning the streets can be found reeking of alcohol!

• mj@adaku.co.uk March 14, 2016 at 12:13 pm

may God help you all with this! it is truely sad 🙁

• Smh March 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm

By the way, each person responding to this issue should sincerely ask themselves what would my answer be if the person concerned was a neutral person i.e. if it was not Ibinabo.
    I can see a lot of people’s thinking is skewed because of who she is, being a celebrity etc which is just wrong. A life is a life is a life. Justice should not be on the basis of “who the person is” My 2 cents

• DD March 14, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Reading these comments prove one thing, Nigerians only pay lip-service to the change mantra we are not ready! You want a just and better society but bring in God in matters of justice. We’ve got a very long way to go.

• Chu March 14, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Nigerians are too sentimental. What she did is a criminal offence and has repercussions. I don’t want to even use another person, while I might pray if I was caught I will still be prepared to face the consequences of my actions. I will pray for her but my prayer is that she gets the strength to stay there and come out better and not bitter. If they can release her on parole(if naija does that) before her term ends for good behaviour, they can do that.

• Naveah March 14, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Dear Sean,
    Please understand young man that nobody is gunning for your mother but the fact remains that a crime was committed whether intentionally or otherwise. It is understood that you are forwarding this plea on behalf of your beloved mother like any good son would do. I have to tell you dear, it is not unfair for you to play on the emotions of the people because you don’t want to see your mother go to jail. It is called emotional blackmail. Have you asked yourself how you would feel if the shoes were on the other foot? How would you feel if someone took your mother away from you, left you bereft of her love, protection, provision and advice?

Other countries have laws have a clear definition for the crime your mother committed and various sentences for it so why must Nigeria be different? I know our country is lawless most of the time and people can pretty much buy influence and result, is that the kind of world you want to continue to live in?

Read the following and understand that as much as you love your mother, Dr. Giwa’s family loved him as well. This is not a vendetta against your mother by the Giwa family or the “bad belle” people in Nigeria wanting to see a star fall, this is about PRESERVING THE LAW! You think 5 years is steep, read the sentences below from other parts of the world.

Let your mother serve her time with dignity and put all this behind so that all of you can move on with your lives.

This may not be defined the same way in Nigeria but IN GENERAL – Drivers who unintentionally cause accidents that result in the deaths of passengers, occupants of other cars, or pedestrians may find themselves have committed the crime of vehicular manslaughter (also known as vehicular homicide). Vehicular manslaughter charges are applied when the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, OR DRIVING RECKLESS (or merely carelessly), or otherwise driving in an illegal manner.

USA:

Charges differ from state to state. In Texas – 2 and 20 years in a state prison and/or a fine of no more than $10,000. New York – up to 15 years in prison with a minimum of one year, Tennessee – 3 to 15 years, as well as fines of up to $10,000, Wisconsin – prison term of up to 40 years and a fine of up to $100,000, or both imprisonment and a fine.

England:

Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs (Section 3A Road Traffic Act (RTA) 1988)
    Penalty: 1 to 14 years in prison, an unlimited fine, or both; and disqualified for a minimum of two years;

Causing death by dangerous driving (Section 1 RTA 1988)
    Penalty: 1 to 14 years in prison, and disqualified for a minimum of two years;

Causing death by careless, or inconsiderate, driving (Section 20 Road Safety Act 2006)
    Penalty: Up to 5 years in prison, and disqualified for a minimum of one year.

Canada:

Dangerous Driving Causing Injury – 10 years.

Impaired Driving (under influence of alcohol/drugs) causing Death – Life Imprisonment

Impaired Driving Causing Bodily Harm – 10 Years

• Word March 14, 2016 at 10:08 pm

In the U.S, if you have a good lawyer, you can plead out , and your sentence will get reduced or some other factors will be worked out based on previous driving offence. If this is your first offence, you may get a lighter or reduced sentence or pay a fine with your driving privilege revoked.

• Merseyside March 14, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Sean my dear sentiments aside, we talking about the law now. You need to understand that the burden of proof is on the persecution. accident happened 10years ago. What is the evidence?. Don’t be shaken.

• Merseyside March 14, 2016 at 11:29 pm

To be honest Sean. You’ve got noting to fear. As has already being pointed out, there are so many loop holes in the Nigerian judicial system any half baked lawyer can get your mother off the hook.

• Felinda March 15, 2016 at 1:49 am

Bella naija please I DONT CARE ABOUT IBINABO, WHAT I CARE TO KNOW AND CONCERNED ABOUT IS THE DECEASED, THEIR FAMILY AND HOW THIS DEATH HAS AFFECTED THEIR LIFES. TELL US A BIT ABOUT THE DECEASED

• belinda March 15, 2016 at 8:17 am

Felinda instead of lip service that only whips up sentiment, why don’t you do something active. Here are a few suggestions
      Offer condolence visit to the victims family. Go a step further and every Sunday instead of warming pews go out and visit victims of tragic accidents
      You can set up a standing order on your account and make regular monthly payments to any charity helping victims of road traffic accidents. You can even set up a charity yourself. Many people here including myself will support you but as you are very passionate about this matter as reflected in the use of your SHOUTY CAPS it will only be fair if you lead on this
      Furthermore you can volunteer in hospitals helping victims who are immobilised due to injuries
      I hope these suggestions help your anxieties. If you do these Even God will know YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY CARE.

• Felinda March 15, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Belinda, do us a favor and please shut the fuck up with your blah blah blah. This case happened years ago and some of us don’t know much about the deceased ccos all bloggers are concentrating on is ibinabo cos she’sa celebrity. . I said iI dont know anything about the deceased. Maybe if BN tells me a bit about them and I know how their fairing a go fund me can be set for themand iI can contribute. Instead of talking about the deceased and how much his family have lostwe are talking about the crimina.

• belinda March 15, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Looooool at felinda .Oops there it is the red eyed monster. You don’t really really really care bout the family you are just a nasty little shit stirrer . Wanker sit down

• Ndidi March 15, 2016 at 5:26 am

He/ she without sin should cast the first stone……..
    If you’ve never had an abortion and killed a child.
    If you’ve never had a little too much to drink and gotten behind the wheels.
    If you’ve never helped a friend cover up a great evil.
    If you have no sin worthy of public hate.
    Then please continue to judge Ibinabo

Sean pls take heart, God has not forgotten you and your family, it is well.

• Chinedu March 15, 2016 at 5:34 pm

I am so touched. errors do happen. my heart goes out to her family.

• Felinda March 15, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Like I said shut the fcuck up with your weak ass come back and nonsensical response. Since you care so much what have you done. Maybe you could not comprehend my initial question to BN before ranting nonsense unrelated to my question posed not to you but to BN. What are u? slow off a short yellow retard bus?

• Belinda March 16, 2016 at 7:43 am

I’m typing not shouting words to my device! If retards were actually on yellow buses then you ought to be on one Infact apply for a bus stop right outside your front door. Jokes aside , For someone who professes a big bleeding caring heart I’d think you’d no better than to refer to passengers on a yellow bus as retards. Oh I forget you only have compassion and really really really care for Dr Giwas family. Just took a little nudge for you to expose the true nature of your heart.

• onyie March 16, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I know its very difficult for you dear in no time she would be done with the jail term, trust me me the rule of law has to be upheld, we would be praying for her.

• Radiogist March 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm

God knows best. A lot of us are judgmental, and and we find it so easy to beleive bad stories about people than even the good stories. God be with u and your family.
    Radiogist.com.ng