News

The Next Big Nollywood Hit: Silent Scandals premieres in Lagos

BellaNaija.com

Nollywood is definitely taking steps to revitalize itself after its recent slump.
Movies such as last year’s megahit Reloaded, Stephanie Okereke’s Through The Glass, The Figurine and Guilty Pleasures have helped bring Nollywood fans back to the cinemas and video stores.
Silent Scandals is a new movie from Producer/Writer Vivian Ejike. The movie stars Genevieve Nnaji, Majid Michel, Uche Jombo, Ebele Okaro-Onyiuke, newcomer Chelsea Ada Ezerioha and a host of other talented actors.
According to the movie synopsis, Silent Scandals tells the tale of “Jessy, a pretty, young and very successful but uptight lady struggles with life as a career woman and single mother to a wild and free-spirited teenage daughter. Just as she learns to enjoy the new but fragile peace with her daughter who finally sobers up, a dark shadow rears its ugly head, threatening to destroy everything in its path.
Jessy suddenly finds herself locked in the battle of her life… a silent battle against her daughter… for a common purpose
She must fight with everything she has and to protect, loyalties are tested and emotions are hurt, leaving everyone and everything shaken to the very root of their being and foundation.”

The movie has been getting positive reviews and recently sold-out at the Silverbird cinema in Accra when it opened last week.
Check out a few photos from the Lagos premiere which was held at the Oriental Hotel (more photos from the premiere will be added soon) as well as the trailer and movie poster.

Genevieve Nnaji, Uche Jombo and with Producer Vivian Ejike

Genevieve Nnaji, Uche Jombo and Chelsea Ada Ezerioha with Producer Vivian Ejike

Silent Sandals star Genevieve Nnaji with Ufuoma Ejenobor & Fred Amata

Silent Sandals star Genevieve Nnaji with Ufuoma Ejenobor & Fred Amata

Uche Jombo, one of the stars of the movie with Basorge Tariah Jnr and Ufuoma Ejenobor

Silent Scandals star Uche Jombo with Basorge Tariah Jnr and Ufuoma Ejenobor

Silent Scandals Male Lead, Majid Michel

Silent Scandals Male Lead, Majid Michel

Silent Scandals Poster

Photo Credit: Ufuoma Ejenobor

1. Nma

December 14, 2009 at 12:42 am

Gene is back!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!
    urrr….majid micheal kinda spoilt my appetite for this movie after that rubbish overly desperate sheet of a movie him and other sloppy ghanian actresses did recently….but for Gene, i will see it!

2. Elpee

December 14, 2009 at 1:14 am

hmm Naija posters have stepped up.. I would like to see the last couple of movies that came out but alas in Canada movies are hard to come across

3. FLYGERIAN$

December 14, 2009 at 4:39 am

Majid Michel <3
    How I love this man,
    No one will ever understand aha
    Despite all the negative comments about him
    *cough* post below me *cough*
    (abeg ma sista no vess) lmao
    Definitely going to watch this movie if hes in it.

F$.

4. ladi

December 14, 2009 at 6:45 am

lol!!!!! After that, I just stuck with Van Vicker.

5. MIMI

December 14, 2009 at 9:24 am

awwww, lovely pics o…… & pls who says Genny doesn’t dress well??? She sure killed it here! U go gurl, God’s surely with u & u’ll continue 2 be @ d top. U look great.
    I like Ufuoma’s look too, they all look great.
    Majid is still beta dan Van Vicker nonetheless.

6. angel

December 14, 2009 at 11:31 am

what film are u talking about gene has arrived cant wait luv ur shoes and bag not too crazy about the dress though but luv u anyway u simply rock

7. Rebecca Roberts

December 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Genny babes never disappoint, love this woman

8. Edobo

December 14, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I look at Genevieve and think to myself- “Self, you need to gym out and maintain”.Now that’s inspiration!

9. cuteasbee

December 14, 2009 at 4:57 pm

was just thinking the same thing about the poster.

10. me me me

December 14, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Genny is a beast …u just can’t hate cos she’s bad mehn!!!… i’m definately looking out for this movie

11. Ose

December 14, 2009 at 11:46 pm

genevieve nor try at all with those shoes/bag oh!! she could hv done berra but i still love her!

12. Diamondgirl

December 15, 2009 at 7:22 am

Awesome movie..was lucky to be @ the movie premiere..it’s a must watch..the picture quality is off the hook,nice story line,great actingand ofcourse nice coustumes too…the suspense is killing!!!!

13. Doosh

December 15, 2009 at 11:03 am

Bella Naija where can we cop a copy of the movie now???

14. Olivia

December 16, 2009 at 9:35 am

Elpee..true talk. Canada is so behind in terms of getting new Naija movies….I don’t want to get pirated copies esp of a Genny movie. Genny IS the queen of 9ja movie industry(still hate calling it Nollywood….arrrrgh!). Love her looks, for some reason she reminds me of Nike Oshinowo….in terms of style. They got IT. Genny’s really stepped up her sense of style and has growm tremendously as an actress. Proudly 9ja!
    Btw, KFC is now in Naija at the City Mall in Onikan, Lagos. I hope more intl franchises come in, I’m talking drugstores, grocery stores, etc We sure need the jobs and the professionalism!!!!

15. Uzo

December 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Is it going to be at any of the cinemas in Lagos?

16. a mon avis

December 17, 2009 at 1:09 am

Ufuoma’s dress is from Primark……..guess it’s not always about where you buy it from, but how you wear it…….can’t wait to see this movie……

17. Gam

December 17, 2009 at 2:39 am

Typical Nollywood movie, wack acting and hairstyles, i see no change in this, except Genny ofcourse, she’s a class act.

18. emily

December 18, 2009 at 11:07 am

i really have to get a copy of this movie. Genny is my girl anyday

19. j3nif4

December 18, 2009 at 10:01 pm

dayum!!!!!! Genny’s hooooooot! i love her, i love her, i love her!!!!!

20. Bola #1

December 19, 2009 at 8:32 am

omo, tibe. as for us in Canada, how do we get this?
    youtube’s always an option,but i dont think anyone puts new movies up

21. naima

December 19, 2009 at 9:44 am

try arodrive2.com

22. Tell-It-Like-It-Is

December 19, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Go here for reviews

VIVIAN EJIKE WE SALUTE YOU. YOU AND OKEY BENSON DID A HECK OF A JOB WITH THIS MOVIE, AND MOST DEFINATELY MAGID AND GENEVIEVE DESERVES AWARDS FOR THIS MOVIE.

EXCELLENT MOVIE. NOT OUT ON DVD UNTIL THE NEW YEAR (2010) FOR NOT ITS ONLY SHOWN IN SILVERBIRD CINEMAS IN GHANA AND NIGERIA.

23. ufedo

December 20, 2009 at 4:23 pm

i hate to be the harbinger of bad news but this movie didnt do much for me as its just a revised edition of daddy’s little girls the tyler perry movie with idris elba and gabrielle union.. with just a few things changed… i was so excited to see the movie and then i saw it was almost same plot.. i lost interest half way.. but still A for effort.

24. Crazy Legs

December 20, 2009 at 5:47 pm

This move had aspirations, shame the story line was so wack. How was it possible for dude not to know they were mother and daughter? How was it possible for her to be 35 with an 18 daughter, that she had at 19? Simple things about the movie made no sense. With all that said though, the wardrobe did an excellent job, Majid Michaels is fine actor, much better than VV. The locations were great, I was, however, not convinced by the storyline. Would I recommend this film? Yes, I would but only for the quality of the picture and the interesting locations.

25. Sekka

December 21, 2009 at 12:00 am

to find the latest movies try buni buni or ghanianation. Just watched silent scandals and it was excellent.

26. Miss Tee

December 21, 2009 at 7:19 am

I’m sorry but I’ve watched both Daddy’s little girl and Silent Scandal and they’re completely different films.
    Ah ah, come on; what does a lawyer falling in love with a mechanic and assisting him to gain custody of his kids have to do with the plot of silent scandal (don’t want to spoil the plot for those who are yet to see the film).

Anyway I agree with “Crazy legs”, there was obviously a lot about the film that didn’t gel. Nonetheless it is worth watching.
    Genny did her thing (wonderful actress and a pleasure to watch always) and the chemistry of all those who acted was great.
    The lady who played gennys daughter (I’m sorry I don’t know her name just yet) did very well and isn’t she a beautiful young lady 🙂
    She defo has a good carrier ahead of her.
    Majid, Majid, Majid..what can I say lol.
    Brother is a fine young man who gets better at what he does in each film.
    I saw growing potential in not necessarily the plot of the movie itself but the actors/actresses, and Nollywood as a whole.
    I know that there are definitely extraordinary writers and script directors in Nigeria. I just hope they get the chance to showcase their talent.
    More grease y’all.

27. NaijaGurl

December 21, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Not to spoil it for anyone…. but the part where Genny get’s drunk,similar scene from Daddy’s little girls. but hey I can’t h8 cuz this movie captured my heart.
    Love it, the cast, setting, eveything. Shows Nollywood is stepping up their game.

28. Dave

December 22, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Am giving all the actors and crew of this movie an A1 + A1. The movie is excellently good. haters, keep hating.

29. gooch

December 22, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Snore…..(yawn)
    It looks almost as boring as Guilty Pleasures…

30. luvlife

December 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm

well in the movie she turned 36 when her daughter went away to complete high school remember? the timeline made sense to me.

31. ladi

December 23, 2009 at 12:29 am

Did you watch the movie in the cinema or buy the DVD (or online). I am trying to find a way to watch it legally.

32. dorah

December 23, 2009 at 5:06 am

i don’t think i get it with this movie…the story line was flop!!!!!!!!where was d scene…where majid had an accident..it was just cut off….and then after 30mos i see majid in a fashion show disguised…how did it work out btw majid and ella, gene’s daughter..what’s d SCANDAL????

33. RedHot~

December 23, 2009 at 10:12 am

Mehn I feel you! I was totally disappointed by Guilty Pleasures and Reloaded…A huge waste of my time…I can’t believe Nollywood is still so backwards. Even Ghana is doing far better, check out Perfect Picture…Our Nollywood producers and directors need to go for internships in Hollywood and stop all the BS the call movies…seriously!

34. ade

December 23, 2009 at 7:03 pm

hey, have just watched this film and it is very interesting, well acted but please i need the producer to do a sequel of this movie. the way it ended was not good nor conclusive…..
    Need to say, this is one of the best nigerian movie i have watched!!!
    Well done guys

35. ladi

December 23, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Its like ‘Daddy’s little girls’ where the mechanic was the lawyer’s driver and gave her the same speech of her being single and miserable.

36. Erica

December 26, 2009 at 8:14 pm

they had different surnames as in the girl answered her fathers surname, that is why he did not know they where related….. and she was 35 at the beginning of the movie but her daughter was not 19…….the movie was gr8 and I could see it over and over again…….maybe the end could have been a little obvious. But it brings a certain twist to the story , nice….come on guys all nollywood needs is a little encouragement and necessary critics with facts…….

37. Benjy

December 27, 2009 at 5:08 am

Any movie (foreign or otherwise) that I can sit through and think…hmm..with a smile at the end, is a must watch in my books. I am officially inlove with Genevieve. That girl is ……wow!!! And some people wonder why she was the one featured on Oprah??!!! Puleeeez!!!! She gat game!

Majid has improved tremendously. Great chemistry with the two girls ..but then again, no work needed there.

Chelsea is one to look out for. Fantastic effort for a first timer. Very pretty, and I thought she and Gene kinda look alike.

Uche surprised me. She was quite relaxed, funny, plus I think she and Gene have good chemistry as friends too.

Well done Vivian Ejike. Whoever does not agree that this is a good movie is most likely in your field, and that is understandable.

38. adwoa

December 28, 2009 at 5:56 pm

The movie is similar to Perry’s “Daddy’s Little Girls” but the effort is great! In order for Nollywood to advance such films must be produced I think that these movies could be great assessments for better movies. Rome was not built in a day people. All of the actors need more acting classes not to say that they are not good actors already but hey even the best Black Hollywood actors and actresses still attend community workshops so it is not a diss or anything. Everyone needs some sort of professional development courses to stay ahead of the game. If more aspiring actors and actresses see this type of vitality and tenancity in the dramatic arts then some would approach Nollywood in a more serious manner. By the way many Nollywood actors and actresses get lost in a crowd when they apply to NYU or other acting classes because their is so much talent in that room. The movie was great but it could be a little better. Congrats to production crew, cast and publicity.

39. emmanuel

January 25, 2010 at 2:52 am

Hello dear,
    how are you doing it will be my pleasure to say hi to you.i am seriously looking for your contacts but dont know how to get it
    so i have good written down films which will be great and we can talk things over how to meet about this
    so if u may wish here is my email address contact me now([email protected]) or here is my number+221763386266 so u can call or drop urs.
    thanks and have a great day
    Emmanuel

40. duchess419

February 1, 2010 at 8:47 am

Guys, seriously are the dvd’s out yet for all these movies, we dont want to do illegal things as we value the artists in the movies, so please advise as some of us are around the globe and not based in Nigeria or Ghana 24/7

41. YOUNG MONEY

July 26, 2010 at 1:43 am

I bet Chelsea Eze is the best actor in this movie she acted so good. 1.Child , Adult,Crying all thhe time , happy too and perfect english.

42. naty

April 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

l love those pics wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

43. gistonthis