Events

Events This Weekend: Seven (point) Zero (SpZ) Fundraiser for Haiti | Nike Oshinowo DVD Signing

BellaNaija.com

flyer for haiti
Seven (point) Zero
Date: 30 January 2010
Time: 6pm – Midnight
Venue: Bubbles (Jades Palace)
Admission: N3000

Alternative Means, DoJoes and LopeSidedWorks in collaboration with
AIPA (Against Illiteracy Poverty & AIDS) Nigeria and Hope Haiti
present Seven (point) Zero (SpZ).

SpZ is a musical/art/concert event and auction to hold on Saturday 30
January 2010 to raise funds for victims of the earthquake in Haiti.
Our aim is to raise monetary donations for a reputable international
charity organisation bringing relief and aid to the people of Haiti.
We believe that this endeavour will contribute significantly to
restoring Haiti and bringing relief in this time of dire need.

For the event, slated to hold at Bubbles (Jades Palace) Victoria
Island, we plan to have major Nigerian artists including Show Dem
Camp, Tuface, MI, Chocolate City, Ikechukwu, Lami, Sound Sultan and
others perform a benefit mini-concert.

Proceeds from the event will go to the chosen charity
HopeforHaitisChildren.org through our partner charity, AIPA Nigeria.
___________________________________________________________________________________
nikeOshinowoFlyerNike Oshinowo DVD Signing
She will be having an official photo and autograph session & will be signing copies of her new fitness DVD “Fit, Forty & Fabulous
The DVD is only 2500 Naira
Buy your DVD, get it autographed, take a photo and have a quick chat with the style icon!
Date: Saturday, January 30, 2010
Time: 2:30pm – 3:30pm
Location: Silverbird Galleria – Lifestyle Media Store
Street: 133 Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.com Follow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. Worried

January 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

No Nigerians this is tooo poor, people are dying in Jos and your having a concert for haiti? lol! Good Lord, im very worried for this our country, shame on all the artist. The red cross has been asking for supplies and money for jos and ur all going to tribeca instead to give to haiti…

2. debbie

January 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Jos nko!!!! whats our own with haiti, dont get me wrong we can sympathize but our people in jos need help just as much

3. made

January 29, 2010 at 8:07 pm

dont mind dem, the stufz nigerians do, so crazy thats how one madam was raising money for obama when he was running for presidency…..silly ppl…..AMERICA alone can help haiti…..n again congo is raising money for haiti, there is nothing wrong in helping but AFRICA is worse than haiti at the moment, lets be realistic pls..

4. Ladi

January 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm

You have a good point!

5. dimeji

January 29, 2010 at 8:33 pm

its truly a very big shame that this artist are raising money for haiti and doing nothing about jos. sometimes i am so ashamed of being a nigerian because of these sort of things. how do we think as a group of people? I was reading a story on jos yesterday and it felt so bad. no food, no homes, some people dont even know if their family is dead or alive. kids who are starving…i dont know where to stop. once again, am so ashamed of nigeria.

6. boogsy

January 29, 2010 at 9:22 pm

i was one of the folks who got offended when people were like why are Nigerians suddenly interested in Haiti and donating…but this haba!!! odin din concert fun Hait!!ah!!ahn..o ti poju…kilode.When there are many people in need of aid in Nigeria!!

7. Nwuese

January 30, 2010 at 12:18 am

God what hypocrites. Did anybody raise money for JOS????

People are dying in your backyard you’re running to raise money for Haiti.

8. Olivia

January 30, 2010 at 1:25 am

There’s nothing wrong with having a concert for Haiti…I just wish they also had concerts for Jos victims. We’re always misguided in our actions. Lack of prioritising-that’s what we lack. Until we learn to act from a place of authenticity rather than just following a fad or putting up a ‘show’, we’ll never get our acts right. Misguided, albeit, ‘well meaning’ elites have created more problems than solution for us.
    That being said, I still commend them for actually ‘doing’ something and not just playing lip service, I just wish this charity also includes home.

9. tbn

January 30, 2010 at 8:01 am

Thay say charity begins at home… is this a joke or what??? Its better to help those who really need help in your country, before you help those outside, its only being realistic logistically and otherwise… Haiti already has loads of help going there from different parts of the world, however, Jos which is just in our backyard is not being helped in terms of funds. im guessing people are expecting the government to step in and help. Naija! when will we do something that really begs for our help?????

10. Dimeji Olagunju

January 30, 2010 at 8:13 am

Many people said so many things which to me is in order. Sincerely our rebranding is still dependent on what others think about us as a nation. What we think of ourself is immaterial. But that was the beginning of our failure as a country. I reside in Jos and I can tell you the situation is worse than we are visualizing it. Haiti need our help but Jos is crying for our Help. Pls, let’s do something.

11. Val

January 30, 2010 at 8:45 am

I’m actually not surprised at these comments coming from Africans, as you have a tendency to be so selfish, even towards your own people. This is exactly why West Africa is in the position it’s in and has been in for years, especially Nigeria, probably the most well fit country in Africa to take care of its people and other African countries, but DOESN’T! For all of you who made those selfish comments, I wonder would you make those same comments if you or your close family members were in Haiti, OR if your Nigerian immediate family member was there for whatever reason. Your comments are sad and embarrassing to our black race, to me as an African-American woman. You should be ashamed. Help is help, no matter where it goes, it’s being done for the common good and if you’re a Christian, in the eyes of God and for God, not for your own selfish body. Also, what fundraisers have you set up for Nigeria or for any cause? When is your event? Loud mouths are always silent.

To the one who initiated this event, I say thank you for your genuine love and care for people in general. Thank you for your genuine love for God, who you’re doing this for in the first place. Thank you for blessing others, as you in turn will be blessed.

12. Uzo

January 30, 2010 at 9:28 am

@ Val, Thank God you said you were African American cos that explains your comment. I agree help is help , but it becomes another thing when a mother leaves her child dying of thyphoid to help a distant neighbours child with Cholera. Nobody will praise you, in fact they will accuse you of ‘witchcraft’.

The issue is not that their giving is bad, its just the timing of it. We have a crisis in Nigeria that has not yet been resolved. Red Cross is still begging for relief and these so called organisers are raising money for another country that is been looked after by so many international communities and relief efforts. Shame!!

Where are all the so called artiste that grew up in jos MI, P square, the Amatas etc? See what Wyclef is doing for Haiti and weep for your souls!!!

13. Val

January 30, 2010 at 11:11 am

@ Uzo. I appreciate your response to my comment. I understand you 100% and I agree with you. The problem that I have is that so many people are complaining about someone trying to help people when I’m almost certain they themselves are doing nothing to fix any problem in any country. I love Nigeria wholeheartedly, I’ve been there many times for extended periods since 2004, calling it my second home…if not my first (slave trading)(Lol). I understand much more about Nigeria than you would probably think. I know there is suffering there and I myself have been too lazy to do anything, knowing I can do something.
    We talk too much, complaining, when we all have a responsibility to do something. Honestly, we don’t make the effort, BUT! let us please not complain when we see someone doing something for someone and the priority is not to our personal liking. I know that Nigerians are highly intelligent people, which is why I don’t mind it when I’m often assumed to be when I’m in Nigeria (LOL), but for all of us “INTELLECTS”, we can move mountains if we want. We can do more than what we do, I know I can. So now I hope you understand why I hate to hear silent loud mouths. All blessings go out to Nigeria, Sudan, DRC, Zimbabwe, and Northern Uganda…as well as Haiti.

I have personally organized a group and we will be holding an African/African-American/Caribbean festival in July ’10, here in Atlanta, Ga. and I will be raising money for all of the countries listed above, I must admit that Nigeria was not on my list, but it is now. This event will be announced on FB next month.

14. ngum

January 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm

i’m not nigerian but i understand the reasons behind a critical view of this matter. nothiing’s wrong with helping haiti but it makes even more sense to take care of problems in your own backyard.

15. randommer

January 30, 2010 at 4:35 pm

@ Uzo, thank you for the explanation to Val jare.
    Val my apologies for my response but that your first comment really pissed me off. Africa is not equal to West Africa and I would very much disagree that Africans are selfish. They are very generous but often only to ppl they consider their own and this very often stops at their family/village/ethnic group etc. and as Uzo said while giving is not bad, the situation is Jos is horrible and not well publicized

16. made

January 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm

madam u dont understand jack abt the issues in Nigeria, it only those who reside there know the crap they have to put up with….no light no fuel geez imagine an oil producing nation having fuel scarcity , i was home this xmas and the number of ppl standing in line to buy fuel was just shocking, visitors and Nigerians in diaspora have no idea on the true state of Nigeria…..we will have to help our own before extending hands to others , u can call it selfish but such is life! AFRICA IS IN NO POSITION TO HELP HAITI, WE GAN WE NEED HELP AS A CONTINENT….

17. Val

January 30, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Good luck on tonight’s fundraiser! I know it will be a grand success!

Blessings,

Val

18. Val

January 30, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Someone mentioned that I don’t know “Jack” (lol) about Nigeria. That is like telling a medical doctor they know nothing about cancer if they’ve never had it. It takes experience and education and I’m blessed with both, encompassing Nigeria. However, I accept the fact that I provoked anger with my initial comment. I did generalize and I apologize for that Randommer(?). As yourself, I was angry when I wrote the comment, so I do accept your apology and I hope you will accept mine. I hate generalizations about race. Being an African-American, I hear it all the time about Nigerians, even from Nigerians here! and I often find myself defending Nigeria. I can’t explain the passion I have for that country. I tend to see the beauty many people there have a propensity to overlook or take for granted and focus on that when I’m there. I love that country, missing it now ;).

I’m well versed on many African countries, with Nigeria being one, but I don’t claim to know everything. I wasn’t aware of the extent of Jos’ suffering, but now that I am, I will do my part to get the information to my African-American community and as I mentioned, include fundraising for this cause in my upcoming event. I’m a woman, I can admit when I’m wrong and apologize where it’s called for. There’s always room for knowledge and I can’t think of anyone more welcoming of knowledge than myself.

I’ve had a couple of “not so great” experiences in Nigeria, but overall my experiences have been no less than warm and welcoming. I’ve met wonderful people while there and have established friendships that are lasting me a lifetime. The majority of my friends are Nigerians, here in the US and in Nigeria.

I still stick to my opinion that Africans are overall selfish (WAIT!), just as, in my opinion, all of us black people are. I speak what I feel, too bad for the ones who won’t like it, but to be honest, we (black people) are the only race of people who do not stick together as a whole. Just compare us with the rest of the world. If Jos’ situation is not well publicized…sounds like you have a job to do. Ignorance can be bliss, but once we’ve acquired such knowledge, shame on ourselves for doing nothing about it. Thanks Randommer(?) and Uzo for informing me. You two are quite mature…the only ones I’ve seen here worth responding to.

19. Qees

January 30, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Have we helped the displaced in Jos??? Let me realisitic charity start at where ???

20. Qees

January 30, 2010 at 8:54 pm

For chocolate city to participate, yet they are from J town and they know what sup there, it is a SHHHHHAMEE..I no say make person no dey give donation o, but when u sef need donation..Let donate to help the displaced in Jos, give funds to Redcross Nigeria not Haiti

21. Sunnyslim

January 31, 2010 at 2:16 pm

haita is a little country alone..not even compared to Lagos alone..so yes only USA alone can assist them ..i believe….well if we want to donate we should bcos they r our brodas…so..well…dont mid dat yeye madam..that claimed to be educated and was donating what does not concern her ..she just wanted to fall Obama hand..and may be dats one of the reason obama dont like us…dont she know dat in an american predidental election..money donated outseide USA are not allowed..damm

22. concerned

January 31, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Oh my God!!! what pretentious and hypocritical people.FUNDRAISING FOR HAITI;REALLY!!!!!!!.just another opportunity to show off.What have we done about our own slums in Nigeria? what have we done about people who have been sent out of their homes and displaced becos the government has better plans for their land? what have we done about the Nigerdelta people who live in squalor,despite the fact that their land is the source of the nation’s wealth? when last have you called a blood relative who you know isn’t so well off and fortunate as you are,to extend assistance? There are lots of people around us that need so much help,guards, maids,drivers e.t.c.who need educational or medical assistance for their kids. what have we done to help them.Some of those who were affected by the Ikeja bomb blast,still havent found their footing,yet we want to raise funds for Haiti. Many of those attending these events will drive through “the sawmill”slum under third mainland brigde and will still not be affected by the horrible sight.
    My advice is, please help your own people and leave Haiti to the develop world who have funds set aside yearly for things like this and whose citizens live in good conditions with basic human amenities.

23. Val

February 1, 2010 at 1:31 am

“Haita” is Haiti,
    “Predidental” is presidential
    “Damn” is damn

Now that you’ve exposed your education level (and minimum common sense), I know not to say anything more to you. (This forum may be a little above your head.)

God Bless!

24. Val

February 1, 2010 at 1:34 am

“Damm” is damn (was under the influence of your all so intelligent comment and precise spellings.)

25. info

February 1, 2010 at 7:14 am

[email protected] Ndidi falling his hand.

Thanks for the corrections Val.

26. Worried

February 1, 2010 at 11:16 am

It would be much better if you just apologized for the ignorance in your first message before UZO and Randomer corrected you, instead you still go ahead to insult other people and for that you loose points, and Im sure you will go ahead to say you dont care and shame on you for going a step further to even correct someone spelling, i though you much more than that when i read your comments. I am from Jos, so I have a right to be annoyed by this fundraiser. I know what we have lost.

27. Val

February 1, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Ah! Ah! Did I not apologize? Can you not read? Why is the dialogue between Randomeer and I apologizing to each other of any concern to you? Did it not end as peaceful as you would like? And as far as me correcting misspellings, “loose” should be “lose” in your senseless comment. Sweep around your own front door before you try sweeping around mine. While you’re running your mouth worrying yourself about the dialogue between Randomeer and myself, you could be somewhere raising money for our beloved Nigeria.

28. baby

February 3, 2010 at 2:45 am

just as i was about to type my comment i read urs first and i realized u said everything i wanted to say!! seriously! alot of people have dies in jos in d past couple of week! why cant they raise funds for those affected!! its absolutely disgusting how nigerians are all 2 faced! dey can never support their own country! the UK alone has raised over £47 million pounds for haiti, pls help me beg whoever is organizing that fund raiser to carry dat money to jos

29. sedkt

February 14, 2010 at 3:14 pm

crazy! EVEN B4 TAKE OFF IN A PLANE. “PUT YOUR OWN LIFEJACKET/ THAT NOSE THING (SOME BODY HELP)ON 1ST B4 HELPINNG YOUR INFANTS. NIGERIANS TAKE A CUE FROM THAT!!!!!! HAITI INDEED