News

A shining star dimmed too soon – Rising Nigerian Musician Da Grin has passed away

BellaNaija.com

Da Grin RIPThis is the sort of story that you never want to report.
A rising star cut short in his prime.
Today, 22nd of April 2010, Nigerian rapper, Da Grin – real name – Oladapo Olaitan Olaonipekun passed away at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).
23 year old, Da Grin was involved in a ghastly accident during the early hours of 14th of April 2010. According to reports, his car collided with a stationary trailer (heavy duty vehicle), he sustained injuries but was rushed to the hospital.
For days after the accident, goodwill messages flowed from fans and colleagues all around the world. All were hoping that he would recover and proceed with his career.
He had just been nominated for several Hip Hop World Awards and was still billed to perform at his first international show in May 2010 but it was not to be.
Da Grin passed away from reported ‘cardiac arrest’.
Since his death, tributes have been pouring in for this well respected and immensely talented artiste.

Our prayers are with Da Grin’s family. We pray for strength and grace to empower them through this tragedy.
We also pray for our country Nigeria and continent Africa, that we will rise above and develop so that young lives will not be lost due to poor infrastructure and failed systems.

Da Grin’s music and legacy lives on.

1. jane doe

April 22, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I can’t believe it!! This is really really sad!! May his soul rest in perfect peace

2. kkk

April 22, 2010 at 11:54 pm

so sad, so young, so soon.

Comfort us father..Comfort us.
    And it was so.
    Amen

3. Elpee

April 23, 2010 at 12:00 am

Too too sad. May his sould rest in peace. And may our country’s medical infrastructure improve so that lives are not lost uselessly.

4. Emeka

April 23, 2010 at 12:09 am

R.I.P DaGrin.A friend mentioned on facebook,so i searched all over the next to make sure the news was genuine for us that are here.I feel serious pains in my heart for him and at a very young age when he was just rising up.I am so sad.One of the bad news of 2010.We lost another gem again..So so sad.

5. Anya

April 23, 2010 at 12:24 am

I just hope he was not under the influence when he was driving because that would be too sad.

6. Bola #1

April 23, 2010 at 1:10 am

sad sad sad, gone way too soon.
    His song, ‘Thank God’ ft Omawunmi was what made me a huge fan.
    May God comfort and bless his loved ones

7. Solomon

April 23, 2010 at 1:26 am

With deepest sadness of my heart, i write this cause is still like a dream that you can just pass away like that DAGRIN. May your gentle soul R.I.P.

8. seun

April 23, 2010 at 1:31 am

it’s like a nightmare i just cant believe it, i didnt know his previous condition was that bad,me that i rock all his songs.i think he is nominated for an award but he wont be able to receive his first award.MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE

9. ginger

April 23, 2010 at 2:04 am

That we go out and come home safely in Nigeria is by the grace of God…I have seen stationery truck on that unlit third mainland bridge at night without any warning…Only in an uncivilized country will that happen.May God give us leaders that will enforce good laws(including road laws), may God give us citizens that will follow the laws,May God help us stop celebrating this leaders who have robbed us so much.May Da Grin’s soul rest in peace.May God give his family fortitude to bear the loss, may he comfort them and give them beauty for ashes!ah!This is too much o!

10. I.D Brave

April 23, 2010 at 2:35 am

rest in peace the best after biggie..Da Grin

11. damilare...big dre

April 23, 2010 at 2:48 am

gone to soon, you will surely be missed. the CEO lives forever in our hearts………

12. OSAS, AKA (GBONKY)

April 23, 2010 at 2:51 am

Da Grin my broda my friend, i miss you so much,. your death bring tears to so many nigerians, mostly your parents, may god grant you peace,

13. lola

April 23, 2010 at 4:12 am

o wow!!!!…Why?????

14. temi

April 23, 2010 at 4:42 am

can’t help tears roll down my face… I’ll miss you Da’grin and may your soul rest in peace.

15. Gbenga

April 23, 2010 at 5:46 am

This is a sad and shocked news to hear about,i never believe nor think this could happen to Dagrin,but what will a man do when God says its time…I pray that God grant him a place in heaven to rest and may God help to put is family to control…Amen

16. Slim

April 23, 2010 at 6:10 am

Unbelievable!!! Its very painful that Nigeria has to lost one RARE GEM into the colds hand of death this way. I feel very sad ever since i received the text and i pray God should strengthen his Family……Olaitan Oladipupo AKA DA GRIN…..R.I.P

17. Christopher Oladiji

April 23, 2010 at 6:11 am

I almost haven’t slept all night trying to stay online as i just wouldn’t believe it when i received the news. This is like family here & my heart bleeds for this ever soo talented guy. We were aIl getting ready for his show in london come may, I mean the sun was just about to be risen upon him. Brother, u’ve gone too soon. R.I.P.

18. Outlaw

April 23, 2010 at 6:30 am

RIP to ya Lerukuwere, A.K.A fimilejo. If there is ghetto in Heaven I’ll see you there. God please help our Medical Infrastructure.

19. D JA JA

April 23, 2010 at 6:48 am

Life come n go….. RIP DAGRIN…

20. BB2

April 23, 2010 at 7:04 am

Omo…i no understand this naija pattern ooo…anyway sha R.I.P ..DaGrin..

21. Jay

April 23, 2010 at 7:07 am

Bitter truth, just 2 painful! Pls pour more liquor…

22. Ben

April 23, 2010 at 7:07 am

I felt sad when I got the news..I so much love his songs even thou’ I don’t
    understand yoruba. Rest in Peace Brother.

23. ized

April 23, 2010 at 7:16 am

its such so unfortunate that one of the best local (yoruba) rapper that is land has ever produced just passed just too soon.

well may his soul rest in peace.

24. OWOLABI

April 23, 2010 at 7:19 am

I will never believe what people says including papers but one I knew is (God Time) and you will see the cross of Christ….. Your fans love you DA GRIN……….BABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

25. sammy

April 23, 2010 at 7:48 am

i’m short of words but i know we will all miss u as a whole may ur gentle soul rest in perfect peace DAGRIN is time to rest so go ahead and rest till we all meet again

26. coker

April 23, 2010 at 7:54 am

It’s very unfortunate that our own omo-naija is gone too soon,I prayer that God should console his family.
    May his sole rest in perfect peace. Safe

27. HEY WHY

April 23, 2010 at 8:02 am

IKUDORO IKU SEKA IKU MO ENI RERE LOOO WHY IS IT THAT SOME BETTER THING NO DEY LAST MAT YOUR PRTTY SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE MY BRODA LOVE YOU …………….

28. femi

April 23, 2010 at 8:05 am

hun..dat is life for we guys we should be care ful in everything we were doing too much of everything is bad may GOD help us cause only GOD knows who love us i know one day we shall see May your soul rest in Perfect Peace a friend of yours

29. Ganiu

April 23, 2010 at 8:13 am

miss u DAGRIN, really sad…RIP.

30. Yomi

April 23, 2010 at 8:27 am

If this is true then Nigeria so called Medical team….for someone to carry injury from 14th to 22nd and still lead to death then they are nothing….Foolish people when he be say na only book dem dey carry give dem for skool….Da Grin I can’t believe i will not hear from you again…..Rest in Peace Our CEO…..

31. Geevader

April 23, 2010 at 8:54 am

Rest in Peace, Kid. You were one of the very few to bring back originality to Nigerian Hip-hop!

32. BlackJesus

April 23, 2010 at 8:59 am

Suun re oooooooh.

33. Peter McUgbenz

April 23, 2010 at 9:14 am

Very good and tallented, gifted with a unique style and pattern, exceptional, quality and out of the world concept, package and delievery. there has never been anyone like this guy in the history of the world, there is none like him and there can never be anyone like him. This dude is one of a kind, specially made to be different and unique. you will deffinately be missed, you will never be forgotten. DA GRIN ma men, may your gentle soul rest in perfect peace…

34. kinzo

April 23, 2010 at 10:10 am

Oro labi is gone,when he rose to the peak,death came and snatched him from us,I pray the good Lord gives the family the strength and fortitude to carry on.DA GRIN WE WILL SURE MISS YOU.LYRICAL TROUBLE

35. reen

April 23, 2010 at 10:28 am

Rest in peace please. Death is inevitable but i wish it would be kind enough not to snatch pple in their prime

36. bobby

April 23, 2010 at 10:32 am

Da grin We really love you and your swagger,may your soul rest in perfect peace.don’t worry god dey,god will catch them.sleep tit.much love from your fans

37. BANDERALS

April 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

We all love you but God loves you most….May your soul rest in perfect peace…(amen).. you will always remain on our heart.

38. Tuale

April 23, 2010 at 11:04 am

R.I.P. Da Grin…..Too painful to hear dis and so hard to say goodbye.

39. Inogree

April 23, 2010 at 11:22 am

I am pouring a little liquor for da grin.. all ways grinning… RIP mi boy…. love you , love you music, loved your swagger.. Daddy mi o si ni le, mumi mi o si ni le… emi ni kan ni mo wa ni le…. sun re o!!!!!

40. T.K Baba

April 23, 2010 at 11:25 am

Da Grin…u`ve inspired me immensely with your courage, self-belief, relentless consistency and above all your deligence & hard-work….
    As a human, i have so much that i could let out this minute but i prefer it remains between God Almighty and myself…….
    What can i say…. Oladapo Olaitan Olanipekun, “Life is so unfair ” Aaahhh o ma se ooooo ……
    Aaaahhhh o di gba oooooo…….
    Aaaaaahhhhh Aaaaaahhhhhh – Da Grin – … sun re oooo ….. R.I.P
    Yours …. T.k Baba

41. Kevin

April 23, 2010 at 11:36 am

He was so talented and it is so sad to lose such a future rap king. RIP

42. escalanteyoooo - pope

April 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm

can’t believe it when i saw it this morning. May his soul rest in peace.
    But all the same we youth of nigeria should be careful in our doing, especially the over exposed once. bcos life is too shout, so spend it wisely.

43. lary sho

April 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm

your memory lives on……da grin baba, omo ogun KAN,akogun KAN,omo ibile, gone so soon,…R.I.P

44. Sue Briggs

April 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm

There are a number of perennial issues that Dagrin’s demise has brought to the fore once more.

Once again the proficiency of the Nigerian health system and government hospitals will and should be called into question. Was there adequate trauma care where he was treated.

Why do I know that we will still hear that a stationary or broken down vehicle caused the death of another person. The Police patrols should have identified the vehicle as a serious hazard and arranged forit to be removed immediately.

While we grieve, let it be known that all the politicians, oil bunkerers, dodgy businessmen, bank execs and their miserable ilk who are milking and cheating their way through the system whilst they plunder and steal the nation’s resources and money are responsible indirectly for the death of another rising star.

Possibly and perhaps if the money that is being stolen/looted had been applied to where it matters and is needed most rather than the personal bank accounts of the miscreants that claim to be guiding Nigeria’s direction, this as well as the myriad of deaths that occur daily in similar circumstances may have been averted.

45. amida

April 23, 2010 at 2:07 pm

so sad to receive this tragedy story da grin am still sober.

46. innocent

April 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Nija make una da let us da progress aba… see fine boy like da DaGrin just go like dat bcos dem no say the boy get somtin to show nija hip hop… God da sha

47. iyke

April 23, 2010 at 3:12 pm

you gave Nija hip hop its true identity,so sad your career had to be very brief. nija hip hop will always remember you as one of its finest.R.I.P

48. SAMOSA

April 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

And I will light a candle for you(DAGRIN). To shatter all the darkness and bless the times we knew you. Like a beacon in the night, The flame will burn bright and guide us on our way. Oh, today I light a candle for you(DAGRIN)

49. kelechi

April 23, 2010 at 5:01 pm

RIP men,its really sad

50. edeghonghon idiakheua kelvin

April 23, 2010 at 5:08 pm

MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PEACE…. BUT THIS IS A LESSION TO ALL YOU ARTIST PLEASE DONT DRINK WHILE YOU DRIVE

• Abiola Aleje

December 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm

yh it is true! thats what mainly causes accidents.

• teymhi dizzy

September 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!1

51. segs

April 23, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Another talent is gone.RIP.

52. Muna

April 23, 2010 at 6:31 pm

this is so sad! i can’t believe it, I’m just shaking! it just draws attention once more to the futility of life, especially in Nigeria, @Sue Briggs: I feel u.

53. abayomi alexander lawal

April 23, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Dear DA GRIN,
    May your soul rest in perfect peace.
    Amen

When we were beginning to enjoy ur thight lyrics u had to pass away.

its soso sad,but its well.

your legacy leaves on bro.

54. Muna

April 23, 2010 at 6:42 pm

this is so sad! I’m just shaking! The futility of life, especially in Nigeria! @ Sue Briggs: I feel u.

55. Day-Olu

April 23, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Oladapo Olaitan Olaonipekun (A.K.A DAGRIN)…………………..R…I….P.

56. Princewill

April 23, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Da grin Naija’s hottest lyricist gone just like that, this life is so unfair. No body can do it the way you do. May your gentle soul rest in perfect peace….Amen!!!

57. Pony

April 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Yes, he use to the CEO. Any other CEO na fake gba. You will live forever da’grin. Aka Omo Ogun. Aka Fi mi le, Aka Ki la won boys n gba ni be.

58. Oluamanuel

April 23, 2010 at 8:17 pm

OLADAPO OLAITAN OLAONIPEKUN YOU WILL 4EVER BE REMEMBERED DAGRIN YOU LIVE ON SUREOOOOOOOOO

59. Ezinne Okoro

April 23, 2010 at 8:43 pm

It’s a very unfortunate incident. My prayers go out to the Olanipekun’s family. Hold on strong!

60. Bruno...

April 23, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Even Michael Jackson’s death no pain me reach de way Da Grin one take shock me! I shit 4 body when I see the thing for Uyo Akwa Ibom!

2010 has just gone sour…he left without a single tour!
    Da Grin…sure we’re havin a moment of silence!
    But this death..it really will never make sense!
    R..I..P…and you will always remind me of lyrical Chaucer
    who could rhyme in Yoruba, Ibo, English and Hausa
    Damn…I hate the game where you earn your fame
    and then you’re gone leaving us da name…
    and da grin…Oladapo Olaitan Olanipekun…Rest in God’s peace
    (Let’s keep the faith guys…Jesus is Lord)

61. Damola Adeniran

April 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm

this is unbelievable!, may God give his family to bear the fortitude to bear the lost

62. Big Fan

April 23, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Its so sad that in this modern age Nigeria is still having healthcare issues leading to premature deaths.Issues like this makes me hate our silly leaders the more.I tell you their cups are almost full.We are fed up of the failed system.May all the bad leaders burn!!! Rest in peace Dapo-Grin.

63. Chook Weezy

April 24, 2010 at 12:35 am

as an up coming artist i would love to say Da Grin may ur soul rest in peace. Da Grin was a talented rapper, i love most of his tracks like Pon Pon Pon and so on, i pray that his songs be used to remember him.

Prayer from Chook Weezy

64. oladapojuwon

April 24, 2010 at 2:49 am

i love you dagrin………. may your jentle soul rest in perfect peace i love you……..the king of swagger……….if its possible to pay billions of dollar to make you back i cant pay for it cos i really love you…..missed you sure pal

65. olu

April 24, 2010 at 3:36 am

can we all stop blaming naija for Da Grin’s death. so far, there has been no allegation of slow or inefficient medical response to his injuries. there are people abroad who stay in coma for week, years or months. some survive, some don’t, so the fact that he was in hospital for days an died does not automatically make it LUTH’s fault. and pls let’s not forget that the lorry or truck was stationary! i expect a driver who has working headlights and is not DUI to see a human being, how much more a truck. let’s also remember that there are roads “abroad” that have no street lights too. doesn’t change the fact that nigeria needs to sit up amenities wise!

66. aka swagger

April 24, 2010 at 7:12 am

Da Grin we love you but God loves you most…..Live in the bossom of the almighty God……R….I….P great love from your sure Fans….You will always be remembered forever……

67. teablinks

April 24, 2010 at 9:32 am

BARACK O’GRIN….. U will always be remembered…U are a Champion… RIP

68. chaps

April 24, 2010 at 10:45 am

Olu, it is a shame that you are a confused Nigerian – a clear product of the ills of Nigerian education system.

69. iyke

April 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm

dagrin u still live on in d heart of so many pass 2pac sef

70. iyke

April 24, 2010 at 12:44 pm

dagrin na my g to le rap ni gbogbo ede

71. Jennifer

April 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Olu you are just talkn rubbish nobody blamed Luth for DAGRINS death…didnt you pass english at skol..learn to read well before you open your mouth and talk

72. olu

April 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm

wow! chaps, that’s one statement uncalled for. i simply expressed my opinion like i have a right to and for no reason should i be insulted for that. you don’t have to agree with me but it’s still my opinion. what makes you think im a product of the nigerian education system anyway? either ways, feel free to express your views but pls, pls and pls, i dont like insults.

73. olu

April 24, 2010 at 2:44 pm

jennifer, i will never understand nigerians. can’t we express our views politely and with courtesy at all? how about this “Olu, nobody blamed Luth for DAGRINS death”. that would have been more appropriate, than the insults you have put up. you don’t even know me and you feel comfortable saying such to me? have you even read the other comments on this page at all? you need to read all the comments to understand why i said people should not blame LUTH for Da Grin’s death.

74. Walex

April 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Da Grin Rest in the Bossom of the lord till we meet to part no more

75. Tonely

April 24, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Its indeed a great lost. Dagrin is 1 n only. I never luvd 9ija musik until I had dagrin, his style’s jst 2 much. Its still a shock 2 me,cus he’s 2 young n ful of musik. God y, musik jst wasted there. God help us all, n y cnt we live 4ever. N pls peopl should stop being naive, stop using dagrin as a medium 2 say jarks about our health system. Luth did their best, jackson died,guru jst died b4 our luvly grin. Pls respect urselfs?

76. yemi

April 24, 2010 at 8:51 pm

olu,chaps and jenifer, you guys all meant well,because the death of da grin could have been averted and it hurts but please do not blame olu or any one.Nigerians at this stage, we have to care for ourselves because we have no leaders to care for us.We do not have good roads,try not to overspeed if possible reduce your speed to the bearest minimum because if you dont,you dont know what is there ahead of you.We should understand that when u have accident,there is no hospital to take you to,even the president had to be flown out,because the facilities are not on ground,even if the facilities are available,the money you have beeing saving for long do you want to spend it in the hospitals.The yoruba says “malu ti ko ni iru nidi oluwa lonba le sisnsin” and “omo ti ko ba ni iya ko ni ba won da egbo eyin”.
    Our leaders have failed us,we are shouting and we have to keep shouting but in the process take care of your self and if anything happened you would know that at least you did your best.
    No drink drive,
    no talking on the fone or texting when driving,
    dont overspeed,eat more of vegetables and drink loads of water,
    keep fit,
    dont drive around in the dead of the night,if you are late,stay where you
    are if you cant, leave early
    and if you have a broken car on the road pls put a lot of sign for the on coming vehicles behind you
    It is your duty to keep your self safe.
    These things happen in the western world too but they have good system that can help we dont.RIP DA DRIN may the lord console your family,and give the the fortitude to bear your loss.

77. wale

April 24, 2010 at 11:21 pm

we will miss you RIP DA GRIN

78. ogo

April 25, 2010 at 4:39 am

To be honest, when I initially read the story I did “blame Naija”. Maybe I assumed wrongly — you raised some good pts — but the “blame” was b/c I’ve read that car accidents are the 2nd leading cause of death in West Africa. And then to travel for road myself?…chei! Maybe I was wrong but road problems for Naija no be small tin.

R.I.P Da Grin! You are loved, my friend!

79. WaleAdeniji

April 25, 2010 at 7:13 am

Whether people will believe this or not, this is yet as a result of failure on the part of our “looters”. Ohh! sorry leaders for that is what you consider them. I wish everyone of us will have the opportunity to get out of Nigeria for once and see the way things are done. In a normal society,no truck will be left on the road for a long time. It is the responsibility of the government to evacuate any faulty vehicle off the road so as not to allow it to endanger the lives of other road users. The roads we have in Nigeria are nothing but death traps talkless of having vehicles breaking down on them again. We have witness many death like this on our road and i cannot but pray that we won’t witness such again. But that is if you and i do it right. It is time for us to stand up and tell our “looters” that enough is enough. We cannot continue to have them up there when they’re not responsible to us. We cannot to drive on bad roads leading to the death of our promising youths. Da Grin tried all his best to become somebody out of nothing but still the system killed him. Its really a pity. Each time things of this nature occurs, you and i need to reflect and think of who will be the next person to go. It may be me, it may be you but we sure don’t want that. Come 2011, don’t sell your vote, lets vote for people like Fashola and not the rogues who will continue to milk us dry.

80. Steven

April 25, 2010 at 8:11 am

Grin i Love u so much and u really make me Cry and i will Never Forget what u MAKE me Feel and i will always keep u in Mind i wish God Can Send u back to this World again and said go and tell the People what u see and who Know u may still Be Alive in Heart and also be with me In My Life Time Grin Pls and i abag God to Send u Back to this World i dont Feel Death that Come Ur Way But the Pain to Everything u work for Just Go for Nothing But i Belive and Pray God will Send u back to this world if God is God then Let Him Send u back to this World Becos UR Death is not the Right time Pls God dont Let me Cry dont Let me Die u said on ur Track and we all Love u and want u back Grin

from ur Boy Steven Chukwu ,Aka Young Money City

81. BIGFISH

April 25, 2010 at 9:56 am

It is a pity he died. Anybody can die as a result of anything, let us be guided and not allow success to control us.. In anything we do, we should apply caution known fully-well that we are just ordinary creatures like every other creatures there4 can depart at any time..

May his soul and the souls of all d faithful departed 2ru d mercy of God rest in peace.. Amen.

Bigfish

82. Concern citizen

April 25, 2010 at 10:09 am

He brought joy and smile to people 2ru his music therefore, you and I should look 4 ways of bringing joy and smiles to people not to cause pain and sorrow as we all are strangers in dis world hence can depart at any time irrespective of age. If money buys life his life would have been bought … we should all try as much as possible to stay on d positive side of things in life and be properly guided regardless of our status in d society.

His fans and family take heart ooooo

Concern citizen

83. chosen one

April 25, 2010 at 5:17 pm

read a lot of people’s comments and i think everyone had a point to make. from
    Luth’s suppossed inefficiency to Grin’s carelessness,back up to our insensitive
    leaders. Jennifer u need not be rude to Olu, he has the right to xpress himself.
    Dagrin is gone and i pray he is in the right place[depends on how he led his life]
    lesson for all of us, plan like you have a hundred years to spend but live your
    life like today is the last.make peace with your maker, God and live right

84. Victorvosseun

April 25, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Unbelievable”? Or may be am aving nightmare. No……DAGRIN. Country with sick president. Shocked! RIP DAGRIN.

85. samson

April 25, 2010 at 8:26 pm

sad.so da grin is truly gone may is gentle soul rest in perfect peace.AKA.fimilejo

86. lakeside

April 25, 2010 at 11:14 pm

we love you all

87. nonny

April 26, 2010 at 2:34 am

the very first time i heard his music, it took me time to realise he is from naija. indeed we lost a star. may his soul rest in the bossom of our lord, who knows all.

88. DADSON

April 26, 2010 at 9:06 am

Dagrin,
    we love you but God love most, may your gentle soul rest in perfect peace
    AMEN…………..

DADSON.COM

a k a ….. MR TEE

89. EmissaryofChrist

April 26, 2010 at 9:22 am

It’s such a sad sad event…this young man’s death…just 23 years…yet my sadness at this goes beyond just his passing but more in wat the afterlife for him will be…Friends, please, i want u to reason this out with me thru till the end and not stop reading or phase out your mind… Where did this young man end up his life? Sincere, I never knew him until a day after his death…but when i got to connect him with his lyrics i had been hearing all around, i became really depressed about the whole situation…the young man’s lyrics were really gross, a sample of the decadence that is now prevalent in our society…mind you, I believe I could say something about music and what defiles or not…I’ve been there…had a huge influence in spreading Nas’ ‘Streets Disciple’ in Nigeria before I met Christ. and so going back to the young man, i realize he never knew Death was on the threshhold for him…it came so suddenly…and then he was in a coma where he couldnt have made restitutions or said prayers for forgiveness…I suspect the young man might have had such thots of what the afterlife could portend and thats why, as i read in one comment, he sang a song begging God to keep him from dying…
    Heed! Da Grin, this young man died, (though I and some friends prayed to God to return him to life so he could come with a message about the reality of hell-the portion of all who live ungodly lives, and the holiness and justice of God) for a wake-up to you that you have no control over your life–safety measures in Nigeria or not!…
    Would have liked to explain further but i believe this summary will make all the difference:
    For it is appointed unto men once to die and after this the judgement…[and]…how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation…for the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord…for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life…[and]… to as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God even to them that believed on His name. (Heb 9:27; Heb 2: 3; Rom 6: 23; John 3: 16; John 1: 12)

90. chigbo

April 26, 2010 at 10:15 am

+Please we sorry dat we loose u here on earth but i pray that where u are about
    go after here i pray that u will the best again cos u are in my life. May u gentle
    soul Rest in peace Amen Amen Amen +

91. brown agwu

April 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

the music industry is been plagued by so many fake artistes who pose as musicians. But one of the true talents whom God has brought out to lame light to be among the leading few has been snatched from us by the cold and ugly hands of death. it is really a pity and a heart breaking news. we will miss u cos u r real inspiration to some of us who r real fans of ur music. may the Lord grant u eternal rest in his bossom and may his perpetual light shine upon u. Rest in peace ‘THE GRIN’.

92. Tongbe

April 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Thank God, Kondo & pon pon pon ! my guy “Da grin” u left the Naija musical sane just whn i was getting caried wt ur original superb hip hop (2pac & 50cent style).too young, too talented,too good 2 have died so soon. may God grant YOU eternal rest TILL WE MEET TO PART NO MORE.R.I.P

93. victoria

April 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm

am still sad abt d sudden dismiss of my best musician! R.i.p Da grin.

94. omo

April 26, 2010 at 6:38 pm

we love u but God loves u most.
    R.I.P

95. BabsonGudu

April 26, 2010 at 7:41 pm

What u people dont know is dat, our greedy-bastard leaders will neva see to our safeties, until one of their family members involves in fatal accident like Da grin’s.
    4k our leaders, our systems and 4k the trailer that caused Da grin’s death.
    ”gucci pelu prada ma fi mi we dauda…”- Da grin, one of the best rappers in the world. E GBA BEEE!!!!!!!

96. jendor

April 26, 2010 at 7:58 pm

live look so funny, dat we might not understand today we meet and tumrw we
    part, dagrin youve laid a legacy that people like us will never forget.
    may ur soul rest in peace.

97. ANIGBORO

April 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm

RIP!!! GRINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

98. AYO ANIGBORO

April 26, 2010 at 9:25 pm

You”ll Forever Live in Our Heart.!!!May Your Gentle Soul Rest In Perfect Peace.SLIPGUD GRIN

99. favour

April 26, 2010 at 10:53 pm

in every things let give God thanks. for our God understand more than we do. my prayer is that every things he left behind shall multiply in Jesus name

100. obasanjo

April 27, 2010 at 3:20 am

you Nigerians are so stupid, how can you say it’s God’s time, when the situation leading to the accidents are man made. all your leaders both politicians and the pastors and imam has all brainwashed you guys.

it’s time you guys start separating God, god, Allah from everyday reasoning.
    A country without power, good roads, police, leaders and the country is so blessed, should be able to make the G7 countries, yet you are all suffering and cursing not smiling anymore. lol…. soon you would be dead.

my point is. the bad road could have led to the accidents which is a domino effect from the leaders.
    but you guys are too quick to use God to leverage every condition. .

101. oluwasheun (aka M.O.B )

April 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I AM NOT HAPPY WITH HIS DEATH IS SO PAINFUL THAT DA GRIN PAST
    AWAY JUST LIKE THAT MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE
    I AM PRAYING FOR YOU EVERYDAY

102. jah baby

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

da grin i personally miss u i pray u rest in perfect peace.

103. rot ikotun

April 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Da grin, we Naija will miss u. it is a petty you have to leave us now that we
    are enjoying your music and we are still expecting more of your lyrics. RIP Original
    Omo Ita.

104. mooyewa ade

April 27, 2010 at 7:59 pm

i agree with u yemi, what a waste, my kids that never been to Nigeria love his music, may his soul rest in peace.Dagrin o daro o.

105. Lilly

April 27, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Life can sometimes be very funny, that one ends with d question, y ll d cold hands of death rest on this young man. But the answer is God knows best. May God save us all from untimely death and watch over our going out and coming in.
    Dagrin…. May ur soul rest in the bossom of the Almighty God. U r a music genius!

106. Femi Oyetayo

April 28, 2010 at 6:17 am

True People don’t last for long…Da Grin Rest In Perfect Peace because we love you,But God love you more..

107. MeoS

April 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

…young fresh guru wey dey work day and night for studio
    na only GOD know why ihn own turn around so…
    R.I.P BRO…
    13515.

108. khemmy

April 28, 2010 at 12:49 pm

we’ll all miss u Dagrin till we meet again. R.I.P

109. khemmy

April 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm

what a fallen star. gone too soon but god knows best. Good 9t to a new dawn

110. JOY

April 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Gone way way too soon.
    May God grant his family the fortitude to bear this loss.
    RIP DAGRIN

111. Pablo

April 28, 2010 at 9:23 pm

NIGERIAN 2PAC,we miss u alot,may ur gentle soul est in peace.R.I.P.DAGRIIINNN

112. bissy

April 29, 2010 at 9:50 am

DAGRIN, MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE. I LOVE YOU

113. YOUNG 86

April 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm

DAGRIN PAINTED NIGERIA GREEN, BIG BRODAGRIN, YOU WILL REMAIN GREEN IN MY HEART FOR EVER. LOVE YOU BRO. AND BE KOOL WITH THE BIG MAN. I WILL TRY NOT TO CRY.

114. amodu

April 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm

dagrin it so soon we like yo but Allah likes you must rest in peace no in peaces

115. amodu

April 29, 2010 at 6:08 pm

i will ever be your fan

116. 16 General

April 30, 2010 at 7:48 am

Speechless?

117. teslim badmus

April 30, 2010 at 10:03 am

it is realy painful to hear of DAGRIN’S death.i shed tear now everytime i hear his music on radio.why now?too soon…

118. Abi

April 30, 2010 at 10:04 am

RIP son.
    Ull stay forever young, as a legend.
    u came from nothing, and made so much of your life in so little time.
    i commend u, and i pray for you.
    from the people i spoke to who knew you, u kept it real always, never trying to be
    something or someone you were not.
    and thats what we need to remember as people, to make the best of the day, and live for today as tomorrow
    isn’t guaranteed.
    now ur bumping with Fela, Aaliyah, Tupac, Bob Marley, Biggie, Issac Hayes, Michael Jackson, and all the greats, cos you my brother are great. Sun Re o
    Omo-Ogun, fi mi le jo, daGrin, Barack O’Grin, Oloye.
    Sun Re.

119. akeem lanlokun

April 30, 2010 at 6:28 pm

its just too painful but we just all have to accept it that way…….may his gentle soul rest in perfect peace and may the Lord grant his family the strength to bear the loss

Amen

120. Awe

April 30, 2010 at 9:29 pm

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNN…………………Dagrin is dead and live goes onnn. R.I.P. my mentor

121. Ronke

May 1, 2010 at 11:23 am

Its such a painful loss, I feel the pain in my heart as if he were my family.
    To have died as such a very young age and when his star is just about to rise,
    makes it more painful. Listening to his music shows this dude is full of talent
    and ready to deliver. Oh my, oh my, Olaitan is no doubt a RARE GEM.
    Its evident we all love him, but God knows the best.
    We love u but God loves u best. I wish death met u fully prepared to meet ur God.
    Sun n re o omo Olaonipekun.

122. flozzy

May 8, 2010 at 7:11 pm

rest in peace da grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

123. T Boy

May 14, 2010 at 3:46 am

If not for is death he would have being the best raper in Nigeria…Anthony

124. Ini

May 15, 2010 at 11:03 am

Rest in peace da C.E.O. we grieve for ur loss.

125. Olumuyiwa

June 1, 2010 at 9:41 am

Da grin May soul Rest In perfect Peace…I really missed you alot…

126. Olumuyiwa

June 1, 2010 at 9:44 am

To all fans of Da Grin…We all missed him so much may the lord guid us in what ever we lay our hands on…Ayorinde Olumuyiwa by name

127. Adeleke Adeyemi

June 3, 2010 at 5:30 pm

dagrin we at teecee find it hard to forget you just like that. rest in the bossom of the lord

128. Jojo Amani

June 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Men am really shocked at this sad news!! Men God knows 9ja will never get another Da Grin. The Guy is d best. And i pray his Soul Rest in the Bossom of the Almighty God. Peace.

129. aflo

June 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm

still a shock!
    RIP bro

130. d.j slinggymoor

June 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm

my biggest rapper may your soul rest in pecfet peace amen

131. taiwo

June 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Still unbelieveable that DAGRIN is gone,i pray that God almighty will forgive u all your sins. Rest in perfect peace. MISS U

132. finesyre(boom squad)

June 11, 2010 at 4:39 pm

am an up coming artiste and i no how it sounds when i hear death of an artiste most xpesially(RAPPERS).in nigeria we have few sensible rappers and da grin is one of em.but i will say R.I.P Da Grin.i believe one day we will meet to P.A.R.T no more………………

133. Ibe mikel

June 13, 2010 at 9:14 am

Why dagrin why pon pon pon master, men this is still unbelievable that excutive omo ita has gone, still a shock that dagrin left so soon my friend’s call me bu’grin cos i love singing dagrin song all the time. God why taking away this wonderful rapper from africa, we love you but God love’s you most. May his so rest in perfect peace of God.amen. Misssssss Uuuuuuuu Dagrin.

134. CM Anyadubalu

June 13, 2010 at 10:54 am

Is sad we can’t get chance 2 enjoy more of his talent. RIP

135. bbbdonald

June 14, 2010 at 8:07 pm

da grin i miss u

136. Dodo'ndawa

June 26, 2010 at 4:17 am

I’m still thinking about him, jo o !

137. Engr. Meya kehinde

July 18, 2010 at 10:16 am

Though’ he came 2 join dis sinful WORLD somehow, and departed just like dat, but his GOOD handy work liveth FOREVER. Which means, Dagrin World Good Forever.

138. paz a sua alma

August 4, 2010 at 11:15 pm

rip

139. arcenio mozambique

August 4, 2010 at 11:18 pm

rip foi uma grande perda

140. justin

August 6, 2010 at 1:41 pm

what a lost of a rising superstar! i heard the song and watch the video,i was eager to grab the cd when i search for the artist ,i realise he was dead ,i was heartbroken,i could kept my breath,couldnt believed he was dead,i heard the music in hitv at uk july2010.RIP superstar

141. Buari o. Rilwan

August 8, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Dagrin,more dan an enigma,omo to fi #1000 ra blade tio duro gba change…lyrical were R.I.P,hustlin hard stil on d matter…..,i’m proudly nigerian luv barack o’grin

142. Engine

August 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

So soon

143. Owen

September 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Get to knw him afta his death, u r jst too good to leave now. I bow 4 u Dargin. RIP CEO.

144. adebola

September 24, 2010 at 11:13 pm

da griiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnn walaiiiiiiiiii u toooooooooo much unborn generation llllllllll missssssssss yaaaaaaaaaaaaa even more than michel jacksonnnnn . rip brodaaaaa barackk ooooo grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

145. Eny

November 22, 2010 at 10:11 am

Da Grin I miss you.

146. Abiola Aleje

December 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Why God did you let this happen i really love this nigerian rapper he was even planning to come to london and this happened i bet the man in the trailer didnt die its not fair anyway i know that live is not fair so i cant blame you!!!! R.I.P DAGRIN ilove you as a good and nice rapper and i will always do stay blessed….

147. kelechi ugbor

February 18, 2011 at 10:56 am

though the story is a sad one but i have come to realize that DAGRIN had a skeleton in his cupboard but all the same i pray that he rest in peace(which i am not sure)amen.

148. Al Amin Bawa Ahmed

February 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm

may your soul rest in peace

149. okonji nomso kelvin

March 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm

wat cn i say? akorgun u are da best i 4ever remain ur fan. so until we meet again jah bless ur soul. omo_gun kbclassics.

150. peter

March 30, 2011 at 4:31 pm

may ur soul rest in peace dagrin…peter from enugu

151. Elvis

April 15, 2011 at 1:36 am

Dagrin i don’t blv u’re dead, i just knw u’re sm were restn! I love u lyrical weyrey.

152. Alexander Osei

April 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I still don’t belief Dagrin is dead

153. ken

April 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm

we miss u dagrin*crying*

154. Bidex

April 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Mehn my metor,u’re fuly remembr 2day

155. tope bosede

April 22, 2011 at 9:08 pm

for ever in my heart…Dagrin,i love you so much.

156. Aroyehun prince ola

April 25, 2011 at 11:38 am

To say the fact i don’t know him but i feel sorry for him and care for him. Is undisputed

157. Johnjamesmo

June 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Oh guy how you dey

158. samuel

July 11, 2011 at 8:34 am

DAGRIN’s death is a great loss to NIGERIA as a whole which can nt be replaced. it realy painful when A STAR which has been destined 2 shine most in the MUSIC INDUSTRY and COUNTRY live an unfulfilled life.ANYWAY/we LOVE U but GOD love u most. R.I.P. DAGRINnnn EVAGREEN.

159. Ayodele

July 13, 2011 at 12:12 am

I love u dagrin

160. Onyedika obidike

July 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love dagrin he is my R I P MY GUY

161. Sam

August 14, 2011 at 8:35 pm

We miss…………..all

162. teymhi dizzy

September 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm

dagrin y did u leave so soon,,ur music stlll dey blow and rain..we love u ,,haha!!

163. Oladayor

September 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

Dagrin was my joy when he was alive and even now……..his memory allways there and here of my life. All my family loves him then and now but we had no chioce than to take is dealth as his destiny……i love you dagree

164. Ola

October 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm

We Nigerian’s really miss u bro, may ur soul rest in perfect peace

165. Promise

October 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

I love u dagrin.ur memory will live on u are my role model and may u find rest in the bossom of the lord.RIP

166. Dripable Service

November 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

This makes perfect sense to me…

167. Jugrin

February 18, 2012 at 8:14 am

Dagrin,gone too soon,rest in perfect peace.

168. Dimka Ishaya Appawa

October 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Dagrin, i wept for ur death, i still have d memories of u in me. May ur soul rest in perfect peace. Amen & Amen. Miss U DAGRIN

169. emmalez

February 21, 2014 at 2:39 am

Till can’t believe u are gone, I love u dagrin, ur songs gimme hope, 4yrs gone, and still fresh in my heart.. I never got the chance to meet u, but I know u are good where u are now.. Naija lost a great lyricist on 22/4/2010… Dagrin how I wish u were here.. The love the street gat for u has been forwarded to olamide… I pray to be big, belief me I will never forget ur mother.. I dnt know her yet.. But soon I will get to meet her, to thank her for bringing u to dis world.. Believe me U defined the RAP music in Nigeria.. U made every1 love love rap music wit ease.. Oh lord pls accept his soul.. Hands socked wit tears.. Rip bro.. U are a brother I never got to meet in life..

170. young king

March 13, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Here iS still my condul… To you my greet man. It iS said you are gone. But I due be live with M.I it a greet hood you build that the people really love. We are nigeria’ns. We live. Is you live. We celebrate you like you never live. Here your regency is given.we miss. Da grain. We love and all wayS love you. R. I. P. BA RACK. OGRAIN. It me your greet fanss. POuPouPou