Music

Da Grin lives on through Music – Tragically Prophetic “If I Die”, Tribute Mixtapes, Songs & Events

BellaNaija.com

Almost a week after his death, we are still trying to come to terms with Da Grin‘s untimely passing.
He was the most promising Nigerian musical talent to emerge in this decade. His music and story resonated with the Nigerian Youth. Da Grin rose above the Nigerian system to create something great – a musical legacy. From his well-crafted Yoruba infused rap lyrics to the intelligent wordplay, he was definitely in a league of his own.
During his short musical career, he managed to amass a strong body of work including numerous collaborations with fellow musicians.
Since his death, there has been an outpouring of tributes from DJs, fans and musicians.
We have compiled some of our favourite Da Grin musical moments. Check it out below and you will understand why he was such a remarkable talent.

Da Grin will be laid to rest on Friday, 30th of April 2010….

Your music lives on Barack O’Grin.
We miss you…

Da Grin – If I Die

Tribute to Da Grin by Sound Sultan – Rewind Time
Listen

The Coalition of Nigerian DJs worldwide released these tribute mixtapes dedicated to Da Grin
The Notorious 1 Dj Neptune Presents The Tribute To Akogun Da Grin – Click to Download
DJ Don X Presents RIP Da Grin – Click to Download
DJ Dee Money Present Da Grin Tribute Mix – Da Grin Lives… – Click to Download

DJ ZIMO Presents Da Grin Tribute Mix – Click to Download

“Industry Night” for Da Grin
On April 28th, 2010, Industry Nite will pay tribute to DAGRIN. DAGRIN a charismatic young star whose music impact in the African Hip Hop scene has been revolutionary. Dagrin performed twice at Industry nite: 5 weeks ago, and before then a year ago when he was relatively unknown. His passing at 23 has stunned the Entertainment Industry not least his family,friends and fans.

‘The Industry unites for DAGRIN’, will pay homage to DAGRIN’S legacy and contribution to the African Music Industry. Monetary donations will be collected at the entrance of the venue and ALL proceeds go to DAGRIN’S family.

Performances from an All star line up of artists have donated their time to payhomage and respect to Dagrin: GT Guitarman,Omawumi, TosinMartins, Sasha, General Pype, YQ, Sound Sultan, Weird MC, Shank, Waje, Show Dem Camp, Banky W, Lami, Pin Code, Zara, Overdose, Aquadragon and more.

There will also be speeches by major people in the industry to talk about DAGRIN and their relationship with him (business/personal).
Host: Olisa Adibua
Start time: 8pm

Date : April 28 2010

Come with a candle!!!
ALL proceeds will go to Da Grin’s family.

Da Grin – The Music

Photo Credit: Kayode – Xsightn Photography
Kayode had the pleasure of shooting hip-hop superstar Dagrin a few months before he died, he recently released some of the pictures that have never been published in a tribute to massive talent.

1. mariam

April 28, 2010 at 6:53 pm

mayur soul rest in peace,hope u met with christ…

2. Eve

April 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm

R.I.P Soldier your music will always live on .. very missed ..Big fan of the music from UK.

3. TRED MAC da THRACIAN

April 28, 2010 at 11:19 pm

a real NIGGER wit a big HEART, who brough
    t hiphop to the next level. am always gonna rep u 4 life. never got 2 know u
    but will always get 2 rep u. WHEN U LOST A HOMIE YOU KNW THAT
    FRIENDSHIP IS GODS GIVING. my friend is dead nigger my mind is different.
    R.I.P till we met to part no more.

4. rocky

April 29, 2010 at 12:14 am

At times I wonder why great people doesn`t live long. Is it dat being xtraordinary require short life? Somebody tell me cuz am perplexed. Anyway may his soul rest in d bossom of our Lord, Amen
    DAgRiN, I love u …ooOhhH Mase hOoo, iKu Da OoroohhH

5. wayfarer

April 29, 2010 at 12:56 am

great stuff….his mama needs help!!! cant imagine what she is going through…welldone people! lurve it thank God by Dagrin and Omawunmi tooooo much!
    Ps Bella , re the new server feed back, this site is a bit bonkers at the moment with this new server …its faster but err the screen is too long
    still cant believe DAGRIN is gone…gone..gone i am upset

6. Ko9ice

April 29, 2010 at 7:22 am

No be sometin 4 my body.i stil day tink am how we go collabo.death u get shame.waitin dat guy do u.way u take am 4rm his fans.dagrin rest in d chest of jah.i miss u die

7. Don Cuso

April 29, 2010 at 7:59 am

I MISS U SOULJA BOI.RIP AKOGUN

8. Adurogboye Josephine

April 29, 2010 at 8:05 am

C.E.O.will love but God loves u most.Continue to rest in perfect peace.

9. Kore Lee

April 29, 2010 at 11:24 am

Da Grin shall still rise. If only you have faith like a mustard seed you will move
    mountains. My boy is so young and too promising. He should be granted
    another shot at it.

D power that brings and sustains life also causes ressurection. Trust in the
    LORD and HE will show HIMSELF strong. Miracles still do happen you know

Urs in love,
    Da Kola

10. taye

April 29, 2010 at 11:47 am

DAGRIN U DONE YOUR BEST,RIP.U ARE THE BEST AMONG UR KIND.I MISS U

11. Omolola Ajayi

April 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm

1st time i heard Da-Grin, i knew my hopes in Nigeria were not wasted. I basqued in the euphoria of hearing undiluted talent and genius; i was happy to be nigerian and to be able to understand what he was saying, that was the same feeling i had when i heard Asa. I happy i ‘met’ Da-Grin. Sunre o!

12. David Gbolahan Adetola

April 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm

It such a sad news when i heard that the living legend Yoruba infused rap lyrics rap man died, i was so down, i believe he lives on like other rap icon etc 2pac and notorious
    BIG. D”agrin . I love u

13. Zee

April 29, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Its such a pity he had to leaave us so young, he was @ the peeak of his Career…and would have made a remarkableory. I do beleive everything happens for a reason, lets just pray for his soul…maye find peace!!! May God comfort his family!!!

14. Zee

April 29, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Its such a pity he had to die (:-( ) so young, he was @ the peak of his Career…and would have made a remarkable history in the emerging music industry in Nigeria. I do beleive everything happens for a reason, lets just pray for his soul…may he find peace!!!

May God comfort his family in this difficult times!!!

15. eniola

April 30, 2010 at 10:13 am

Da Grin shall still rise. If only u av faith lyk a mustard seed u will move
    mountains. My boy is so young and too promising. He should be granted
    another shot at it.

D power that brings life also causes resurrection. Trust in the
    LORD and HE will show HIMSELF strong. I luv u Da Grin. May u REST in perfect peace.

16. toy

April 30, 2010 at 10:45 am

C.E.O gone 2 soon,i missu u dearly,i love u but GOD loves u more
    u’ll forever be in my memory.they call him AKOGUN but i call him naija weezy.RI..P

17. hammed

April 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

da grin u ar d king of rap artist in nigeria rest in perfect peace luv u die…………………………………………e

18. hammed

April 30, 2010 at 2:16 pm

da grin u are 2 much my guy wen ever i feel bad wen i listin to da grin wil make laugh is the king of lyrics…………………………e

19. hammed

April 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm

baba God ur ar 2 Much bcos no body is indispensible

20. i love you

May 1, 2010 at 12:55 pm

YOU ARE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE DA GRIN.I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS.I REMEMBER 1 MONTH AGO WHEN YOU SMILED AT ME AT ALLEN JUNCTION.I WAS TOO SHY AND STARSTRUCK TO RUN UP TO YOU LIKE THE OTHER GIRLS DID.IM GLAD I DIDNT COZ I WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO RECOVER FROM THE SHOCK.YOU ARE THE BEST”NOT WERE”.U TOUCHED LIVES,MOVED MOUNTAINS,YOU INSPIRED YOUTH”ME”TO BELIEVE IN BEING YOURSELF,NOT IMITATING.GOD!YOU HAVE IT ALL.SWAG,RAP…..CRYING..

21. orjiizzy

May 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm

R.I.P Barack o,grin. we all love you but god love you more.

22. HMD

May 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

DAGRIN LIVE ON

23. yusfaith

May 4, 2010 at 2:21 am

you ask us not to cry, but we could not hold it, we love you more than what you

24. Dammy

May 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

still believing i will see you drive through my street in Surulere like u used to and
    I secretly had a crush on you,I love you so much. Rest in peace, my love

25. HADIZA B

May 6, 2010 at 9:34 am

there is a yoruba adage that says (IGI TODARA KO KIN PE NINU IGBO). He has gone to rest in the bossom of the lord. we will miss him a great deal.

26. kike

May 7, 2010 at 9:06 am

RIP……………DAGRINNNNNNNNNNNN .THE LYRICS OF HIS IF I DIE IS A FOOD FOR US ALL……….HE SAID HE WISH TO HEAR WHEN D TRUMPHET WILL SOUND AND DAT HE STARTED IN CHURCH WIT DRUM SET,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PLS GOD HAVE MERCY ON HIM AND LET HIM REST IN YOUR BOSSOM……ITS INDEED A RUDE SHOCK TO ME…..VERY PROMISING YOUNG MAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,KK

27. Osayin

May 7, 2010 at 5:11 pm

He was changing naija hiphop when death took hm away, I know he’s in thug mansion wit d hiphop king 2pac. Rip homie.

28. sayosky

May 9, 2010 at 5:30 pm

R I P dagrin may your gentle soul rest in peace

29. Abiola Benson

May 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Bye,Bye,You was never meant to live,When the Ghetto’s where you live but God Love you most and sent you to your parent as breadwinner Love You Barack,O’ grin,RIP

30. mike oni

May 10, 2010 at 8:29 pm

i miss u soldier boy we mis u naija . may god save us from our raods

31. VERACIOUS

May 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm

i jus want u to know that u are still well remembered, i don’t know how to say this but i tell u tot of u still flows deep in my mind i love and will always do

may God almighty clean ur wounds and make u c how much i love

32. Peridot

May 18, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Grin, bioz are not smilling at your death, Da grin you are Calm,Extra-ordinary,
    and full of Originality.R I P JOOOOOOOOOOO

33. Peridot

May 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Da- grin happens to be naija best artiste of his generation, Keep singing in
    heaven, the microphone is still in hands. OMO NAA

34. CROWN J

May 19, 2010 at 1:47 am

GOD na my creator dagrin na my mentor i no nid 2much connection cus GOD na my connector dagrin iwo ni omo ogun,CEO mosofunyi entertainment rest in peace bro…………

35. CROWN J

May 19, 2010 at 1:56 am

Dagrin though u are dead,but ur swag still dey in existence,barak’o’ grin jo ooh

36. joey

June 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm

dagrin has so turned to a legend after his death.. RIP broda.. keep representing where ever

37. araboy

August 5, 2010 at 2:26 pm

dapo you left to soon imiss u omoogun,akogun se u bi ibo iluv u may gentle soul rest in perfect music while u feature mj,sunny okosun 2pac bob mali &rsvp yaraduas

38. martins itive

October 31, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Da grin you gone so soon,but God knows all,the world will keep missing you,your lyric still lives with us.Rest in peace BIG DOG

39. kingmudo

December 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm

why do you leave us too soon

40. skylimit (musician)

January 22, 2011 at 8:58 am

dagrin d tears in my eyes is totaly uncontrolable, when i had of ur death i couldnt believe it until now. May ur soul rest in peace. R.I.P DAGRIN.

41. jtwest

March 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Rip i alway love u!

42. Kelvin

March 24, 2011 at 3:25 am

It takes integrity for u to get to d top but it takes honesty for u to remain there. It will also take honesty for u to remain at d top of our mind. I MISS U DAGRIN!!!

43. Sharon Lucky

June 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I miss u Dagrin all tin the day we met again R.I.P

44. Abdullahi adekunle

August 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

Omo ogun i miss u die,may ur gentle soul rest in peace broda,d pains is uncontrolable in my heart.

45. Hadebhayor baykett Dagrin2

August 8, 2011 at 11:50 pm

ashewo ni evry where even gays dey fear, sey ashewo colect al d bois 4 d year, i kno sey i b siner God i dey sin, evry day igbo sayo alnite na dry gin bt i no stat lyk dis 4 chrch i stat wit drum set coz i no d year wey God go blow me trumpet, coz i kno heaven dey God even dey if u wan chop cake na den u go kno sey ovul dey. LAST VERSE 4RM IF I DIE BY D RAP LORD, THE KING OF M.I, NAETO C, OLAMIDE, RUGGEDMAN AND OTHERS. R.I.P DAGRIN, no body feet luv u d wey i do

46. Oyewole .A. Folorunsho aka folly9ice

September 18, 2011 at 11:27 am

I missz u somuch Dagin u ar d one of d best, gone so soon!!! Love u Dagrin

47. Aidi paul

October 21, 2011 at 7:03 am

Da grin rest in peace.

48. mike success

November 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm

fine boy rest in peace,i miss you

49. Edwin J. Kennyson

June 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm

RESPECT 4 U ””’ALWAYS IN MY FEELINGS”””” SAUDADES DE BARRACK O’GRIN….R.I.P

50. ROzzy kiNG

September 20, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I miss u baracko grin, ur legacy in heaven