Weddings

Real Life Wedding Disasters!

Getting married to the man or woman of your dreams; should be nothing short of the best day of your life. What happens if after months of preparation, things on the day don’t go according to plan? As in, It’s not like you can do it all over again…(well you can, but it involves a word starting with D and nobody prays for that).

A few months ago I heard about a couple who had hired what they thought was a ‘professional photographer’ to take official pictures of their wedding day. He had been recommended to them by a friend and of course they checked out his portfolio.  You can just imagine the shock on their face when they opened their wedding album for the first time.  Heads and limbs were chopped off, angles were askew and in so many shots you could hardly see the bride.  The lighting was terrible. Out of 400 pictures, only 22 were good enough. If not for the guests who took pictures on the day, they would have nothing to show for their wedding day.

Hearing about this got me thinking about other potential wedding disasters,  that could leave you wondering ‘who has cursed me’?

1. The videographer in charge of recording your happy ceremony could , instead of focusing on the event, be busy focusing the camera on one fine babe at the ceremony.
  2. The inscription on your wedding cake could read something unfortunate like ‘crongruatulationns  Ade & Bimbo’
  3. Oversight by the wedding caterer could leave your wedding guests languishing in the toilet suffering from food poisoning- for days after your wedding.
  4. One couple were even unable to prove they were legally married because of a spelling mistake on their marriage certificate. The clerk had misspelt the grooms surname, so when it came to the new bride amending her passport & bank information she found it extremely tedious.
  5. I have even heard of armed robbers targeting weddings knowing people would have plenty of money to ‘spray’ the happy couple.

I think possibly the worst thing that could happen, which beats all of the above hands down is the bride or groom having cold feet and not to turn up at all. To be honest I guess no matter how wrong things go, the most important thing is ‘you got married’.  Everything else sort of pales into insignificance; well unless you are a perfectionist like me-  who even 20 years down the line will still be insulting the photographer/caterer/ videographer/ baker….

After all the day should be unforgettable for all the right reasons.

Photo credits: www.beloblog.com

1. jane

June 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm

yaaay, first!!!! hmm…still cursing the caterer who wasn’t at the reception on time, my sister had to serve guests with food she made as back up. Also the cake maker who used wine glasses as our cake stand, didn’t provide a knife, also didn’t serve guests the cake! Videographer was filming people’s shoes and the cut off half of the ceremony on the cd which we couldn’t finish cos it was scratched (in the presence of family members i might add). All in all, as the writer said, the most importaant thing was we got married, and thank God we have pictures!

2. justcoz

June 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Lol…only the above mentioned wedding disasters?…I know of a couple whose wedding cake fell down flat to the ground…That day (I suppose) was one of the bride’s worst days in her life.She cried all through..Things are bound to happen,but with prayers,nothing will go wrong.

3. Godlovesme4me

June 10, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Totally not funny when something you didnt bargain for on the wedding day happens…one will be lost as to what should I do…
    One thing I think could be worst is…After wearing you wedding dress, one absent minded individual trying to eat a plate of yam and palm-oil…mistakenly spill the food over the bride’s gown…as in no remedy and you have to be at the church in 20 mins…Hmm!! makes me wonder. God forbid bad thing ooo…

So yeah, totally not funny…I pray nothing goes wrong on my and others wedding day oo…Amin e po!!

BellaNaija…you rock!!

4. THE AMAKA

June 10, 2010 at 3:07 pm

hahahaha!! just terrible.

5. Pinky

June 10, 2010 at 3:19 pm

@ Godlovesme4me, That’s scary mehn… hmmmm…

6. My2centz

June 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm

At my cousins wedding, armed robbers came and shot 2 people. I suffered a sprained ankle bcos i was picking race in my stilletto’s. Im sure she will never forget that day.

7. mariaah

June 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm

lol @ every one..there’s a video i saw few weeks back, the title is “clumsy best man ruined my wedding”..it shows the best man mistakenly pushed the bride as he was bringing out the ring frm his pocket!!lol nd then d minister tried helping her gain her balance and they ended up in the pool (it was a pool side wedding) bride + minister = wet cloths..
    haa olorun maje! i pray nothing bad happens on mine..dat wont b nice 🙁

• Sach

November 11, 2010 at 11:54 am

meeeeeeeeeen….your story aint convincing. what is the best man doing on the side of the bride? aint he meant to be behind his groom friend?

• sleekish

November 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm

loooooooooolz ur funny, but nice analysis tho…all dese ‘bobo gisters’ lol

8. Bijoux

June 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm

So I forgot my sister’s bouquet at home on the wedding day. Ended up being able to make another bouquet that look better than she one she had.

Am an event planner and I sometimes have nightmares being on a flight to Jamaica and then remembering that I had to coordinate a wedding that day. That pilot will just have to turn back kia kia.

9. Aibee

June 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm

At my friends wedding 2 weeks ago, I bent to hug her (the bride) and stained her bolero with ‘red’ lipstick. we did all we could and it wouldnt wash. This was at the church and the bridal march was just starting on the organ. She took it in her stride and went on to have fun during the day. ?Felt and still feel mortified.

Typical me, if something like that had happened to me, I’d have been fuming and unable to enjoy the better part of the ceremony. However, that experience thought me that only what you allow can spoil your day. I believe I’m better equipped to ignore all the things that could possibly go wrong and just be happy that I’m married.

But the food poisonong thing go hard oh.

10. eazzie E

June 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I have a friend who has a friend that was also my friend but they(my friend and our mutual friend) were always caught up in one quarrel or the other. They had not been speaking to themselves for over 3 years (boy issues and vain arguements) and then our mutual friend was getting married. Our mutual friend called me to invite me but I was not in town, was away on official stuff with a heavily pregnant grouchy boss with no hopes of returning before the time (tho I dint come out clean to say I wont attend) and I urged her to place a call to my own friend and make amends as the opportunity has presented itself. Our mutual friend called my friend and u know chics she kept fronting……..despite all efforts to fix things between them. Eventually after much persuasion from her mom (according to her) who knew our mutual friend while we were growing up together, she went for the wedding and a traditional ruler was making his entrance with police escourts who were trigger happy and then tragic occurred….. They released a bullet before the gun got to the sky and lo and behold, it was lodged in my friends knee. The knee was fixed but she limps badly today. About mending their friendship, we all are best of friends though its such a horrible reminder. I learnt 2 lessons….as much as possible, never let the sun go down on your anger and the other……?? Anyone want to help with that?

Cheers People

11. fre

June 10, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Bella why??????? You ruined my image of weddings. *wailing.
    @ least i know its not always perfect. Ive never imagined or heard such stories.
    Im in total shock. Like WOW!!!!
    @ eazzie E and my2centz, I dnt think i’ll be going 4 any event any time soon.
    *sobs. CREEPY!!!!!!!

12. kaira

June 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I had my wedding seven months ago and it was the worst day of my life.For some reason my cousin accompanied me to the hair dresser and wanted the exact hair do i was gonna have!The hair dresser even asked at a time if we were related and who was getting married between the two f usShe just did everything to make my day miserable?!She misplaced my gele , and so many thing i cannot talk about!I hope she gets to understand that one day and i wish her to feel the same way i did on what will be her best day!

13. Omada

June 11, 2010 at 12:04 am

imagine the bride being ‘stained’ on her behind…
    she gets up and lo and behold, ‘aunty flo’, just arrived and ruined her dress…
    God forbid!!!!

14. korede

June 11, 2010 at 5:00 am

@ omada

simple fix to that – see your doctor in the months leading up to the wedding to get a prescription for the pill to regulate your period

or chart your period and don’t a date when you’ll be on your period…

15. notaplayahater

June 11, 2010 at 11:54 am

I got married in january and after praying for everything to go right, the event planner decided she had to be picked up from her house by my family, instead of coming herself…On the wedding morning for Christ’s sake!!! and the car had not been made up!! I ended up being late for my wedding(i was the last bride to show up at a mass wedding for 7 couples). My hubby(who i had dated for 9 years before) almost peed himself. funny thing was that because i’d always been a tardy person, he had predicted me being late for our wedding someday. Too bad it had to be someone else’s fault!! To worsen matters, the band had a very crazy sound system, so at a point the microphone was acting up and the MC had to rely on his voice alone. My Kid brother had to run out midway to get a new band. My father’s face could’ve curdled milk!! the tailor contracted by my mum messed up the bridesmaid dresses.All in all, I’m glad i married the man of my dreams and we both couldnt be happier; especially with our little angel on the way!!

16. Aderonke

June 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I do not believe that there is any such day as ‘the best day of my life’ cos soo many beautiful things have happend to me and soo many more beautiful things will happen… so… I believe in making the best of siituations, and being able to end my day with a beautiful smile knowing I survived the day is enough!

That said.. it would be mindblowing to have a mishap on my wedding day.. even worse if it’s a tragedy like a gun shot resulting in the death of people and all.. the embarrasment and sadness of it all…

But I’d like to find the joy in every situation that comes, no matter how grim!

17. miss b

June 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm

i think i have the worst one. the groom was unable to make it to the wedding
    because of the recent volcanic ash in the U.K. They had to have the “wedding”
    without him present, so every1 just came and ate and left! Chei I can imagine
    how depressed she must have felt. If not for education, one will say that the
    ash was cause my “enemies of progress” lol

18. Gam

June 11, 2010 at 7:21 pm

This is what you get when you try to stage ‘ceremony’, instead of a meaningful thing. I will not have any of all these issues.

19. by

June 12, 2010 at 1:04 am

I got married 10 years ago, but i’ll always live to remember that day because unknown to us, the MC who also happened to be my husband’s best friend was so so drunk that he told a totally different story on how myself and my hubby met. It was very embarassing and this tale left our guests gasping.

20. teebee

June 13, 2010 at 11:22 am

My Hubby and I didnt eat on the wedding day !!!
    No food was on the high table all through the reception only drinks
    so by the time the reception was over we were both almost drunk LOL!!

21. uchechi

June 13, 2010 at 11:21 pm

@ miss B..very sad indeed. My brother and I were victims of food poisening. We had coleslow at a neighbour’s wedding some years back and for a whole week had runny stomach. I could not go out o cos I always had to look for the nearest toliet to p**.. neither could he go to school..not sexy a’ol. We finally landed in the hospital beds. The funny thing is that before the food arrived at the reception sef people had started leaving.

Always make sure your wedding reception and home (where the food will be cooked) are close bye. I pray that disasters shall not be our portion o!

22. frances

June 14, 2010 at 8:15 am

well written piece! Anthonia Kehinde? has she written any more pieces for Bella? cant seem to find any? 🙁

@ everyone
    the wedding should be all about you and your partner… the ceremony is more so for the parents to show off! …nothing wrong with that of course… all i know is the day i am on that alter the only thing that will truly matter is my man standin by my side.

yes i no..cheesy sturvs.
    oh well 🙂

23. here is one

June 14, 2010 at 6:41 pm

How about this…One reserves and pays for an elegant site then learns the owner of the site is in forclosure and will not refund money.

24. Bee

June 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

I think the couple just needs to pray in the months leading up to the wedding and try their darnedest on the actual day to just have fun.
    @Kaira: That was truly horrible. But she will definitely get her’s.
    My best friend was getting married and since I was her chief-bridesmaid, she had some of our other friends stand by and help coordinate thngs cos she didn’t want to be disturbed. Her brither-in-law and a slew of very frim ladies held sway and made sure she wasn’t disturbed for anything. She ended up drunk but she ultimately had the best time. Now, when I’m getting married I intend to make her handle things whilst I have a great time.

25. vickky

June 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm

wedding disasters? My wedding 15 years ago was lovely but for some hitches. One, the programmes never arrived as the printer was said to have been ill and died just when my wedding came up!?!. Two, the photographers batteries ran down and he actually asked my dad for transport money to buy more…… during the wedding service! Three, my dad got a limo to take me just around the corner to church( a one minute ride in festac). Later,my husband bluntly refused to use the limo so i missed out on the ride.My bridal train enjoyed the limo though. Finally, the caterers food was tasteless. Thank God for my mums bountiful backup catering.
    I didnt consider these to be horrible disasters, just interesting experiences.
    My cousins night party was attacked by gunwielding robbers. Everyone fled in complete disarray. theyre still happily married though.
    Another sisters church folk were so nasty in their church service that the entire brides family were ready to leave midway. the bride herself was in tears all thru the service and reception. we later learnt that they wanted another church “sister” to marry the groom!

26. Bibi

June 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm

@ Vickky : kai I pity the poor bride in that your last story. What could she have done?

God save us from armed robbers, food poisoning and unfortunate accidents! That’s why couples should PRAY that everything goes well on that day!

27. tywo

June 16, 2010 at 11:50 am

wow!!!! thank Goodness i did not see this before my wedding.
    mine was okay,except for me not being able to carry my wife during the fotoshhot,that part i miss most,i finally screw all when after a year,i have bot collected my weeding pics.

28. Omada

June 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm

@ miss b, that’s so sad…

29. Genevieve

June 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

on my sister’s wedding day, the car in which she was droven to the church was almost stolen Everyone was in panic for about an hour, but the car was later recovered.

30. Ify

June 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm

My wedding day was in December 2009. My husband [fiance then] and I got into a big blow out argument that morning over his tuxedo, he wanted it to be fitted while it was a little on the large size, he hated the shirt and tie that came with it, i had to go get dressed in the church, [wedding was on sunday]. It was freezing [winter] my husband just arrived in the States a week earlier so you can imagine how he was feeling since he was not used to the weather over here. After the ceremony in the church, it was time for reception, we just barged in, we didn’t even wait to be called in, my husband had a temperature of 102, he was feverish so he couldn’t dance or eat. The cake arrived 2 hours late, so alot of people missed it, the DJ didn’t have the music I requested for before the day, some of the food came when almost all the guest were gone but despite it all, I had fun and I have told my husband he will have to do renewal of vows whenever he is ready. But the wedding and thanksgiving pictures came out real good although I’m sure some of my “friends” had a lot to say about my husband not smiling or eating at the wedding but who cares!!! I am married.

31. tomi

June 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Ma sis went 4 her colleague’s weddin recently,@ 2pm no canopies or chairs were @ d reception yet,guests had 2 chill @ eateries n nearby shops,den d caterers comin 4rm festac came 2 d reception wit just plates n had 2 take bikes bk 2 get d food,and d reception was @ ajah,bt d good tin was d bride neva got 2 knw!

32. chic

July 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm

At my wedding we called the cake ‘the leaning tower of pisa’. The icing wasn’t dry and it looked like it was going to collapse any minute! The caterer came to me in tears, i had to spend time consoling her. I had a blast!

33. tafia

July 6, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Yes oh the food one has to be the worse thing. At my sister’s wedding where everything was supposed to be perfect & very upscale ,the food went bad by the time it was served.Being the bride’s sister, family members kept calling me that the food was bad.. I was so mad and shamed. The wedded couple just tire but had to enjoy the rest of their day…

34. promisetutu

July 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Every wedding has its bad story, if not, what will u laugh about in the future?

The zip of my wedding gown just gave way as i put it on that morning. wont forget in a hurry the panic i felt. Thank God for my tailor aunt who fixed it temporarily. i was so conscious of it that i could hardly move about freely without thinking what my fate would be if it got spoilt again.

After the church service, i made up my mind to enjoy myself, afterall i get to do this once in a life time. To God be the glory, i survived it till we were ready to go b4 it scattered finally..

35. Buttercups Events

July 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

All u gat to do is pray hard before your big day. Only God can make it go well.
    My friend’s wedding cake tasted like boiled yam. It felt that way too. Deir drinks weren’t chilled, and there were cobwebs everywhere in the reception-hall, but the bride and groom were sooooo thrilled with themselves. They are still happily married today and live outside d country with their son.

On my day, the programmes arrived that morning, my dad culdnt make it to my wedding cos he was hospitalized at luth, the customized hand-fans i ordered arrived after the wedding, but everything else was wonderful, and i had an amazing wedding.

Notaplayahater, who was your planner? na wah for am oh! What did she actually do for you?

Tomi, that was really horrible! i’m sure the bride will still get to know somehow.

My opinion is that it’s really important to have proffessional planners and co-ordinators handle your wedding. Some are even suprisingly affordable and will please you so much. I aint saying this b’cos i’m an event planner, but im saying it cos lets face it, it’s ur wedding, and you wont get to do it again. Why not invest to make it the happiest day of your life?

36. funke bucknor obruthe

July 26, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Hmmmmmmm

37. Tiki

December 9, 2010 at 11:26 am

All of these stories make me howl wih laughter, and cringe with fear at the same time. My brother’s wedding is next weekend, and I have been in charge for planning most of it . I thought I had sleepless nights before, but looks like these stories shall keep me awake till the 18th! Papa God abeg no gree bad ting happen, shame go kill me oooo….

38. mich

December 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

these stories are horrendous but have me howling with laughter. At least there is a story to tell…

39. uwem

March 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm

all dis stories just put fear in me
    i pray we dat are nt married yet will learn n also pray it doesnt happen 2 us
    its scarey sha

40. emeka

July 16, 2012 at 9:00 am

Please bear with me cos i ve been rolling on the floor with laughter from some of the comments. you aint seen nothing yet. My own drama was as follows;
    – The suit with shoes i ordered for from Italy came six months after my wedding. Not being a suit person i had to borrow from my cousin and bought a pair of shoes that morning whose sole gave way just as we were leaving the reception for home.
    – The food could have been completely unavailable except for my mum’s backup. By the time the food came most of the guests were already HIGH. Only the meat and stuff came first, the main food came after the reception. Guests thot it was a barbeque kinda tin and actually liked it (if only they knew)
    – The DJ’s amplifier shut done, we had to make our entrance on just drum beats and my mum’s peeps supplied gospel music. It wasnt the plan but was very groooovy. It was not a small something.
    -The main photographer goofed. Thank God for heeding to a friend’s advice and got 2 backup photographers. I am yet to get the remaining photos from him till date. If i catch him eh…
    – The wedding planner’s idea of decorating the car for my best man and i was at her own place. We eventually drove ourselves in another to car church cos we were running late.
    – I believe the one that actually got me laughing was that my tie got misplaced that morning and i was forced to buy one in the traffic.
    At a point i was almost waiting for something else to go wrong in all it turned out to be a fab wedding and the MRS was and is still is very happy.
    There is nothing like a perfectly planned wedding, something always happens. Whether the little details or colossal set backs. Always remember that the devil is constantly trying to ruin it for you since God has ordained so don’t give in. Always make sure you pray before your D day.My advice is to take things in stride and turn your disappointments to amusement. The most important part is the I DOs, anyone who does not like the food, drinks, venue, e.t.c should go and hug the nearest transformer. Your guests who are supposed to be your friends/ family should celebrate with you not criticize you.