Music

‘Ghetto Dreams’ – Da Grin Biopic is in the works – What Do You Hope to See?

BellaNaija.com

Last week, we received a press release on the Da Grin biopic “Ghetto Dreams” which is currently being developed.
We were definitely excited to hear that DaGrin was to be immortalized on film but our happiness was tinged with skepticism. Though we were comforted by the fact that renowned director, Lancelot Imasuen would be at the helm of the movie.

At the beginning of 2010, we penciled one artiste to change the game and it was Da Grin. His death hit us and many Nigerians hard.
A young man who fought hard and overcame his circumstances to attain success. Even greater success was being anticipated and then he died….
His story deserves to be told but not just that, it deserves to be told well!
Not just Nollywood fodder but an inspiring film that is reflective and befitting of the talented and exuberant Da Grin!

We’ll love to hear your feedback on what you will like to see in the movie. We’ll ensure that this feedback gets to the filmmakers so we’ll have a movie that we can all be proud of.

Here is the press release on the Da Grin movie.

Renowned Director, Lancelot Imasuen has joined Stingomania Entertainment in making sure that the life and works of late rap artiste Da Grin does not go down the drain. The respected Director has been drafted to be the Director of Ghetto Dreams a film which will be based on the life of Da Grin. The film will chronicle the growing years of DaGrin, his struggles, his rise to fame and his death.

The choice of the respected film director has been hailed.

The film making is part of the formats Stingomania Records is putting in place to ensure that the man who gave the Yoruba rap music genre some breath of fresh air is memorialized in a constructive and enduring manner.

The Da Grin Memorial Project, amongst other things will ensure that the family Da Grin left behind is catered for and the loss is made more bearable for his family in a tangible measurable manner. The memorial project will also provide a lasting structure and means to encourage upcoming, struggling and budding entertainment stars, while helping talented artistes deal with the different challenges and lack of resources limiting them from fulfilling their potential and set up a foundation to provide assistance for upcoming and struggling musicians with limited means and poor backgrounds to realize their ambition. The foundation will provide help for young musicians in areas of Finance, Training and Mentoring. All these were ideals the late musician stood for.

Listen to Da Grin – Ghetto Dreams & Kondo

1. adenike

July 20, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I won’t mind seeing in the movie;how he started,talking about the stress he went through trying to pay for studio sessions,being a studio rat(a whole lot of them started out like that),how he used to look up at the likes of Tuface and never believed he could meet them someday,rejection from Radio stations (oh,your song is too razz you know),hustling for shows (you’re not yet popular),rejection from Dee Jays(the song doesn’t blend with my tempo and people do not know your song so they won’t dance) and a whole lot more!
    I basically want something inspiring for every ghetto kid out there,that there’s a light at the end of every tunnel.
    I do wish Lancelot the very best and i do pray they achieve whatever good aim
    this is out for….

2. Grace

July 20, 2010 at 7:05 pm

who will play Dagrin?

3. Grouch

July 20, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I’m excited but I dunno about Lancelot I. I think younger folk, contemporary
    artists, his friends & parents should be interviewed in depth. I’m a bit worried the
    research will lack substance and the movie will follow. I love Da Grin too much ='(

4. Myne Whitman

July 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Who will play DaGrin? Ramsey Noah? LOL…All the best to the producers sha.

5. kamasutra

July 20, 2010 at 11:26 pm

i am so not gonna watch it. we haven’t gotten the fiction right we are moving on
    to the hardest- biography. hmm, good luck though.

6. Omada

July 20, 2010 at 11:28 pm

this is good to hear. he deserves it…

7. siena

July 21, 2010 at 3:50 am

So who is playing him – Jim Iyke or an unknown star.

8. T-bag

July 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

@grace Dat’s exactly d question dat was running thru my mind as I was reading d story.

9. Odufaderin Sandra

July 21, 2010 at 11:15 am

it is well ……….

10. omogekofo

July 21, 2010 at 11:18 am

i want to see what really happened on the day he died….
    like if u knew he would die that day…….
    why he actually sang that song….’if i die’
    and em, em, em…..the kinda girls he dated.

11. WaleAdeniji

July 21, 2010 at 11:57 am

This will be nice. But, like someone just asked; who will ask Dagrin? I can’t wait for the work to be concluded and be available to us to watch.

12. eazzie E

July 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I agree with Grouch, I think extensive research should be done to ensure all impactful information is captured. Please spend money and do something worth identifying with as Nollywood especially as its in memoriam and would be a source of referral for inspiration henceforth (I hope). DaGrin died a painful death. He died on my birthday and that kinda scarred me. An incomputable talent cut short in his prime. I was his loyal fan. I would give my support in any way I can.
    Nuff respect Barack O’Grin…Uwese…. Lancelot and crew. May God strengthen you on this journey to immortalize my boy.

13. Adetokunbo

July 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Lancelot, I think at this point that an High Definition Camera should be used
    to actualize the look-alike of Barack O’Grin….
    Please do enough research in terms of his history and life process….
    Consult Holywood in terms of HD Cameras that will give us an original
    look of Dagrin so that it won’t be messy…. We want to see it as if he really
    acted it himself before he died, the voice must also be that of him, we don’t
    want photocopy at all.
    Cheers

14. IamEbixx

July 21, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I think it is a bit too early to start working on this project (that is if they are planning
    to start shooting anytime in the next 6months). To truly capture the late rapper, I
    believe they need thorough research to capture who he really was, it is one thing
    to build up a good story about a character and it is another to capture a good character
    of the late. The character and story must unite seamlessly.

With that being said, I would like to seem the portrayal of the ghetto as Da Grin
    talked about severally has much more than brute hardship and stereotypical violence.
    He described the ghetto in his songs, and I saw one of hope in the midst of lack,
    faith in despair, love in friendships, vision through mists of decay, rascally attitudes
    but not “violent no goods”. All these are really important because they can be teaching
    moments past the Nigerian borders. They need to do a good freaking job.

PS: I hope some of his interview sessions can be incorporated into the movie, like the
    one he did with Liz Yemoja stating why he started rapping in Yoruba.

Lastly I hope this movie doesn’t come out till maybe even 2013…real talk 😛

15. Ope Banwo

July 21, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Nationwide Search For Who Will Play Dagrin In ‘Ghetto Dreams’
    ….Wande Coal, Dj Zeez, Trybson, Konga Lead 22 Other Contenders In The Role For The Big Role
    As the countdown begins for the shooting of the much talked about movie on the life and times of the popular late rapper, Dagrin, titled Ghetto Dreams, the award winning Director of the movie, Lancelot Imasuen and the Producer, Ope Banwo of Stingomania Entertainment have started a nationwide manhunt for the actor that will play the all important role of Dagrin himself in the movie.
    According to Mr. Lancelot Imasuen, ‘we need to search carefully and diligently for the actor that is not only a Dagrin look-alike but one that can also act very well and mimic the mannerisms of the late rapper. Since the search began about 2 weeks ago, we have had lots of names suggested and nominated by industry practitioners for consideration of the role of Dagrin’.

Some of the names that are being pushed by different interest groups, producers and artiste managers to play Dagrin in ‘GHETTO DREAMS’ include many unknown names as well as some big names in the entertainment industry. Some of the names presently being considered include Wande Coal, DJ Zeez, Konga, Trybson Dudukoko, Whichlevelz, and Sunkanmi Omobolanle. As of last count, there were about 22 names under consideration.

According to Lancelot Imasuen, the Director of the Movie, ‘we will look at these people thoroughly and eventually invite most of the interested people for an auditioning that will allow us to pick the best person’. Lancelot is excited at the opportunity to direct a movie that will immortalize the dreams, struggles and inspirations of one of the young upcoming stars who tragically died just as his sun was rising.

On a parallel level, while the search for Dagrin hots up, there is also a careful search for 3 critical people in the movie including the person that will play Dagrin’s father, Mother, sister and a love angle to the story. As for who will play Dagrin’s mother, the leading contenders appear to be Bukky Wright while Funke ‘jenifa’ Akindele and Omoni Oboli appear to be odds on favorite to be the sister or the love angle based on their relationship to Stingomania Entertainment. Lancelot Imasuen however insists that that is not necessarily the case since he intends to pick the best people for the different parts subject to their availability and budget.

The Ghetto Dreams project is the initiative of Ope Banwo of Stingomania Entertainment and it involves 3 different stages. The Ghetto Dreams movie part will give some of the proceeds from the movie to the Dagrin family while part of it will go towards a foundation to help young and upcoming artistes to get off the ground and remain grounded as their careers take off. A Ghetto Dreams Award is also being organized for up and coming musicians as part of the annual ritual to memorialize what Dagrin represented for young, struggling and aspiring musicians.

16. Eni

July 21, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Story!!! This smells like someone being quick off the mark to cash in on a Dagrin movie!!! Guess all the tribute song spots have been filled already. AND ISN’T THIS ALL TOO SOON
    Firstly anyone with any real vision would have consider Gini as the director for this movie. Gini knew dagrin directed his much acclaimed pon, pon, pon video AND was working on the video to Ghetto dreams when Dagrin past away. Clarence Peters, perhaps… someone to give it a cutting edge…. Just like Dagrin and his music. Already this is sounding like a Nollywood exercise just by the names and people being touted around this project. Wande coal… can he act. he is fat and apart from the bald head bears no resemblance… Sossick, on the other hand, Dagrin’s producer is a spitting image and I think would be able to shed more light on the character than you director and possibly all your directors… Can he act I dunno, but maybe this is where you need to be starting you search and research. PLEASE stop feed us BS… if you want to do it right then EVERYTHING that has been posted so far regarding this needs to be rethought. AND Don’t let me get started on the script… cos any script that is worth while takes time – so unless they were writing way before his death then it wont be properly developted… for Dagrin sake and his legacy I pray that I’m proven wrong! RIP DAGRIN.

17. adenike

July 22, 2010 at 9:05 am

@ope Banwo,is it possible we find someone who is relatively unknown but good,to play Dagrin? Bukky Wright as Dagrin’s mother? I’m still thinking though.. But all in all,i wish you guys the very best and i also pray it doesn’t come out this year/next….. 2012/2013 please!

18. Lola Liyele

July 22, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Hopefully this movie comes out good. we do not need to rush out stuff in terms of producing a movie. This dude just died. At least a yr after will be better.

19. Omada

July 23, 2010 at 12:14 am

@ ope banwo, DJ zeez, Wande Coal & Konga? do any of these man bear any possible resemblance to Dagrin?
    am all for this project, like I stated earlier, he deserves it.
    However, if its going to be rushed or the naija factor will play in, as per ‘who knows who’, resulting in a bad job, then it had better be suspended.

20. OLALEKAN ODUNAIKE

July 27, 2010 at 3:48 am

I SAW YOUR PUBLICATION ON THE PERSON TO PLAY THE ROLE OF DAGRIN.ACTUALLY MY FRIENDS HAVE BEEN PERSUADING ME TO GO FOR THE ROLE.
    BUT I HAVE DECLINED,AND I THINK IT IS TIME I ENROLL FOR THE PLACE OF WHO PLAYS THE ROLE OF DAGRIN IN THE MOVIE GHETTO DREAMS.
    I HAVE SOME SAMPLE PICTURES WHICH I CAN SEND TO COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE LATE ARTIST WITH MINE WHICH I THINK YOU WILL SEE THE SIMILARITIES THERE.
    I DONT THINK THE LIKES OF WANDE COAL,DJ ZEEZ KONGA, TRYBSON DUDUKOKO CAN REALLY PLAY THE ROLE.

21. gklanoftheboer

July 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Am the Genuine Competent Lyrically Addicted Negro (gclan), am a rapper, who many say loo like Dagrin, working for the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, Ikoyi, Lagos. There’s absolutely no one else that can suit the place of the late Dagrin in the film but me cuz “I TOO LOOK MUCH LIKE HIM”. In terms of acting, am good to go. The charisma, poise is second to non. One of my pix is hereby attached.
    Moreover, he was my friend. We never met physically but online. We had a song to record before he passed on. Give me this childhood dream of acting. AM THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB, THE BEST CAST FOR DAGRIN.

22. dagrin

August 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

i wonder who is going to play me in the movie……………………….jooooooooooo

23. olateju

August 18, 2010 at 10:09 am

i cnt wait to see d movie……….make it good

24. seyi

August 19, 2010 at 9:03 pm

this is a very good idea, but i want those behind this project to know that this is not some shitty nollywood movie b’cos i absolutely hate those naija movies, this should not be a movie that will be produced within a month, & loads of research should be done before commencement, cos guys we are talking about Dagrin, the ”lyrical genius”, there’s no one like him & there won’t be in the next fifty years so pls lets do a very good job of immortalizing an icon, the one & only CEO, Dagrin, u remain evergreen in my memory

25. ORIYOMSAI APATAR .J .

August 21, 2010 at 3:48 am

i fink ur right THE FICTION PART but all is that we can’t have the fiction n the same time the biography thinking about the fiction is omthing u put together urself……….ITS OLL COMPLICATING

26. Barrack E Grin

August 27, 2010 at 10:03 am

Dagrin was my man..I love him so much,and it much painful that he as to go to soon.But his memories will always lives in us every April 22 every year..Joor Awa ni best..Concerning If I die..Guys go listen to the muzik again listen to the words the guy knows he will die…That why he said All they wanna see the my end but ko le ye

27. samson ogunbiyi

December 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm

dagrin a man of so much talented altitude and integrity dagrin is a man of is own policy the fastest yoruba wrapper the best nigeria wrapper according to kenny ogungbe may is so rest in peace

28. Eyes

June 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

wel….d film is out nw nd as our nigerian films culture, it an apology. Wonder if those ppl realy knw dagrin or myb they’r hiddin sm info delibrately??!!!!

29. larryohms

June 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

pls we dont want odunkola odun ade to come and play the Dagrin role oo….. we have loads of dude who facially looks like dagrin, if chosen brush them up on the street slangs, and there should be an audition for someone whose gonna play his role not just one actor from yoruba movie oo, not Sir k kamoru or sanyeri or lala…we want something of great standard… God bless ya..i know couples of people who really looks like dagrin, contact me if u need their contacts…he died on my birthday too, so sad! everytime people wish me HBD on bbm and facebook, they also update RIP Dagrin which is really hurting..God bless the producer…