News

Winners List & First Photos from the 2012 Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards – Ramsey Nouah, Desmond Elliot, Majid Michel, Monalisa Chinda, John Dumelo & Susan Peters at the GIAMA in Houston

BellaNaija.com

Susan Peters & Monalisa Chinda

BellaNaija.com was on the scene at the 2012 Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards and it was a fabulous event with such a strong turnout of celebrities and special guests!
Nollywood and Ghollywood’s A List including Majid Michel, Monalisa Chinda, Susan Peters, Emem Isong, Jim Iyke, John Dumelo and so many more were there looking glamorous and so fresh!

BN will bring you all the scoop but for now, check out the first photos and list of winners at the 2012 GIAMA.

Monalisa Chinda & Van Vicker

Best Cinematography
Unge’s War

Humanitarian Award
Van Vicker Foundation

Diaspora Category
Best Film – Diaspora
The Mechanic (Who is the Man)

Best Actress – Diaspora
Maureen Esealuka – Bianca

Best Actor – Diaspora
Chet Anekwe – Bianca

Best Supporting Actress – Diaspora
Susan Peters – The Entrapped

Best Supporting Actor – Diaspora
Olalekan Akintude – Black Money

Best Film Director – Diaspora
John Uche – Bianca

Best Film Producer – Diaspora
John Uche, Uche Agu, Chika Onyima, Jude Ezeala – Bianca

Viewer’s Choice Category
Best Male Actor (Viewer’s Choice)
Ramsey Nouah

Best Female Actress (Viewer’s Choice)
Mercy Johnson

Best Film Director – (Viewer’s Choice)
Frank Rajah-Arase

Best Male Actor – Diaspora – (Viewer’s Choice)
Pascal Atuma

Best Female Actress- Diaspora – (Viewer’s Choice)
Merlisa Determined

Kelly Hansome

Honorarium Appreciation Award
Pascal Atuma

Photo Credit: Segun Gele Facebook | GIAMA

1. dont mention

October 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm

looking like it was a fine n fun event sha…..desmond looks surprisingly handsome with those locks, n ma eye candies, majid , jim, desmond n ramsey….the things i wud do to any one of u….(pinches self)*snap out of it *….n oh, for de record, i hate dat wedding band on ur finger ramsey, its breaking my heart…lol..*wink wink*

2. ejogene

October 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm

So good to see some nollywood veterans.

3. nich

October 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm

this was just 15mins away from me……….i never knew that it was gonna pull this much crowd……there is a future for nollywood no doubt…..this is the largest crowd that i have seen in any of their award shows abroad……….i guess cos it was anchored by golden icons………houston is the home of golden icons…………houston i believe now has the largest nigerians in the states…..

4. lolita amanze

October 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Yeeeey! Uti won! Woooow! In the cupboard seems to be the biggest winner! Congrats!

5. X factor

October 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

kelly handsome?

6. e-bukun

October 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Isn’t it a tad bit early for Emem Isong to nab a “lifetime achievement” award?

• Vee

October 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm

like seriously!

7. Chattyzee

October 22, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Kelly Handsome? Honorarium award? Isorrai… I always feel offended when Mercy Johnson does not get any of these awards… nice event tho, Ramsey still looking freshh…

8. what

October 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Love Mercy Johnson …she is the best in this current generation of actress

9. Naveah

October 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Whoaaaaa a LIFETIME Achievement Award for Emem Isong? A LIFE TIME? Shouldn’t that have gone to the likes of Tunde Kelani, Amaka Igwe etc? I am sorry, Emem Isong has NOT been in the entertainment business long enough and has much further to go still to collect a LIFE TIME achievement award. I am in no way knocking her work but when I think of a lifetime achievement award being bestowed on a person, it is for a person who has dedicated decades upon decades on their lives to their vocation, has made significant and innovative contributions to their industry. My goodness, this is like Ben Affleck getting a lifetime achievement award over Clint Eastwood. In as much as I appreciate these awards, some of them are majorly suspect. And when I see the films that are nominated and the actors, I wonder if Nollywood will ever be able to rise up to attain a golden standard. Well sha, congratulations to them all.

• Shirley E.

October 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I beg to differ! How old really is Nollywood? And ‘not to knock your hustle too’, how many movies has the said Tunde kelani and Amaka Igwe produced currently in Nollywood? How many stars have the said producers raised? Emem has raised nothing less than 6 solid Nollywood actors in the industry (Stella Damasus, Stephanie Okereke, Dakore Egbuson, Nse Ikpe Etim, Uche Jombo, Mike Ezuruonye etc) No easy feat in the competitive Nollywood. She has single handedly developed the Ibibio film industry in that state. Pls do your research before you spew trash from your mouth . In terms of impact and contribution to the development of the film industry in Nigeria, I think Emem deserves it. Lifetime Achievement awards are not about age only.

• lilly

October 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm

aunty shirley… get your facts right. Tunde kelani and Emem no b mate. She herself knows.

10. Adesuwa

October 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Kelly Gini? For wat na? Yeye dey smell!

11. feyi A

October 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

na only isong and her sister submit film?? see as they clear awards. i throwey salute. lmao!!!! all this awards sef, fear don de catch me. anyway this one looks neatly organised for a first edition….. ramsey never still wan age :).

12. lahips

October 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm

ohhh i get to open bellanaija, i hate mondays at work

13. posh

October 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Must susan peter stretch every muscle and vein in her because of pic*confused*

14. nems

October 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The men look quite dapper! What up with the glasses though Desmond, Ramsey and Van?

• Egusi

October 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm

They are advertising for Specsavers lol

15. kem

October 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

that whats up @nems

16. LPS

October 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm

17. bibs

October 22, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Awards ko, awards ni. What a joke. Everybody is creating awards these days. I have even lost track now. Some of the categorys are just too funny. Nuff said

18. pretty

October 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This is the best Susan peters has looked in a very long while,simple n elegant

19. Ik

October 22, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Where’s uche jumbo

20. ima

October 22, 2012 at 5:53 pm

whorapun to tonto dikeh?no awards kwa?wantaramera!!!lol

21. Nollywoodgaga

October 22, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Ramsey Noah, i just want to jump on this guy !

22. Belle

October 23, 2012 at 12:53 am

Shirley e must you resort 2 insults , she jst voiced her opinion! Na wa o! *rollseyez

23. Taee

October 23, 2012 at 2:00 am

Please what did Kelly handsome do to deserve a honorary award?

24. Amber

October 23, 2012 at 4:31 am

Lifetime award to emem isong ?pls on what criteria o…o ga

25. keechi

October 23, 2012 at 5:05 am

I was at this event!! YAY!!It was really FUN! And I can see myself in the audience!!:) hehehe
    And Kelly Handsome got a Honorary Appreciation award bcos he was the one that sang the theme song for the GIAMA awards. That’s why guys so chill out…lol.

26. king

October 23, 2012 at 6:22 am

Like seriously? Emem isong? She hasn’t gotten that much acclaim to be given a lifetime achievement award jor, and I don’t care if she brought up genevieve…. Isn’t it funny how all the winners r present at the awards? something fishy and everybody that went won atleast one award, even uti.. Uti???? Not even OC ukeje.. Hmmm… hehehe…. Golden icons I hail o…. Cheap publicity stunt.. Mtcheeeeeeew

• Roxy

October 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I cant think of a better person to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award! Emem is too much. I love her and her movies. They make sense unlike many we have in the industry today. Congrats Emem! Well done

• keechi

October 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Actually not all the winners were there, we were missing quite a handful. Some of the celebs had to recieve it on behalf of the ones that never showed up! And it is only customary for a celeb to show up to an award ceremony in which he/she has been notified of their nomination.

27. Phantom

October 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

@Shirley E, your point is valid but tainted. There are better ways of correcting/expressing a different opinion without resorting to insults. Saying Naveah was spewing trash was so unnecessary. it took what would otherwise have been an objective review and lumped it right there with narrow minded expressions.

Like Aristotle said, it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Life aint that hard hon.

• Shirley E.

October 23, 2012 at 11:55 am

Abeg, go and sleep jare! Or better still, disappear like the ‘Phantom’ that you are! Mscheeeew! Emem Isong rocks! End of story!

• lilly

October 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

aunty shirley… again, this is bella naija, not Linda ikeji’s blog. take your boiling blood elsewhere.

28. huh?

October 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm

@Keechi,where are thou in d crowd….hehehehe

• keechi

October 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Since I’m a cheap ass, I got the regular ticket not VIP but i still say i got the best seat. If you look on the last photo, look up at the extreme left mid-corner, you’d see two pple (one wearing white and the other blue), im the one in the blue. You cant see my face tho..im sure thats why u were asking! 😉 hehe

29. Ochuko

October 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm

@ King LWKMD you made sense jare. i am surprised sha that Nse ikpe Etim did nt win any award. kelly handsome’s award tho!!!!! hmmm. Tonto dike shuld av been considered too oh, “its POKO baby” loool

30. Naveah

October 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm

@ Shirley E:
    Let me send the same advise your way, go and do your own research before you defend a point of view blindly. You say lifetime achievements shouldn’t be based on age but then you bring up the fact that Nollywood hasn’t been around for that long…what is your logic here? I don’t care if Emem Isong single handedly raised Fela Anikulakpo Ransome-Kuti from the dead, she DOES NOT DESERVE to receive a Lifetime Achievement award YET when the likes of Amaka Igwe and Tunde Kelani have not been honored AND BOTH WERE AROUND BEFORE NOLLYWOOD WAS COINED AS A TERM AND/OR EXISTED AS AN INDUSTRY. Amaka Igwe wrote/produced and directed some of the seminal tv shows of our times that truly defined the genre. And if you want to bring time served then why not Zeb Ejiro? Zeb Ejiro is often described as the doyen aka the GodFather of Nollywood. He was an inspiration to the formation of both the Association of Movie Producers (AMP) and Actors Guild of Nigeria, (AGN). You want to talk about amounts of movies produced as a criteria? Well, he has produced over 20 movies including mega hits like Domitilla, Nneka, and Good Bye Tomorrow. What about his brother Chico Ejiro who has been producing and directing movies since 1994? Both men are known to be very instrumental in laying down the foundation of the Nollywood on which Emem Isong built her Royal Arts Academy.

I never ever inferred that Ms. Isong should not get a lifetime achievement, I am saying that she does not deserve it at this point in time. Quite frankly, I do love her stories but with the same frankness I will say she doesn’t write stories that are strong from beginning to end. You can drive a two ton truck through some of her plotline because they are riddled with holes BUT are her films entertaining, I give a resounding YES but it doesn’t raise her above a need for improvement.

It is obvious you believe the criteria should be based on commercial success, well I believe that the criteria should be based on long lasting impact on the industry. And unlike you calling my opinions trash, I will rise above you and say let’s agree to disagree on this point.

• lilly

October 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nairaland

October 24, 2012 at 5:18 am

Don’t mind the people who think they must force us to acknowledge people. These people want to force history on people through phony awards but it will never work. 100 years later, your work will speak for itself.

31. Naveah

October 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Oh and Shirley, Ms. Isong only just recently went back to Uyo to begin premiering her movies so don’t tell me that she raised the Ibibio film industry because (1) no such thing exist (2) up until recent times, she only shot her films in Asaba, Owerri, Enugu, Lagos and sometimes in Abuja. She only just went back when Godswill Akpabio in wanting to compete with Donald Duke’s achievement in Calabar made Uyo more palatable. Give her kudos IF she had done it when the place wasn’t worth the Okada fare not after dem don clean and now it’s worth something (3) if you are going to bring in tribe, then give kudos to the producer Remmy Jes an igbo man who gave her a start in the business even though he fleeced her.

Girl, don’t start with me because I can match you point for point!

• Shirley

October 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Point of Correction; The first Nollywood film produced in Ibibio was in 2005 called ‘Mfana Ibagha’ by Emem Isong in conjunction with Remmy Jes. Then after that she produced ‘Uyai’, ‘Edikan’, ‘Udeme Mmi’ and others. ‘I’ll Take My Chances’ promoted the cultural and tourism attractions in the State. Obviously you are an insider as a in a failed producer because how do you know so much about Remmy Jes and his fleecing? I even know who you are by name but lets not go there. You don’t have to agree with me but say stuff with facts that are right and dont knock other peoples hustle.

• Naveah

October 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm

LOL! I can say the same to you, you don’t have to agree with me but you don’t have to call what I say trash and as for your comment about my being a failed producer, it is laughable at best. So I have to have been a failed producer to know some fact that easy to google by anyone? So if I am able to discuss the problem with Nigerian politics, I have to be the President or a member of the Senate in Nigeria…like I said, laughable. It’s been real. Take care of yourself.

32. i no send

October 23, 2012 at 4:29 pm

@ Naveah..you have spoken well ….never mind the unnecessary abuse..you discourse can only be comprehended by like minds who as you know are very few…cheers

33. omoibo

October 23, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Ramsey, your style is always flawless & consistent. #NO HOMO

34. lilly

October 23, 2012 at 8:15 pm

@Naveah, your points are strong, objective and educative. I have learnt from your plain wisdom exhibited on this blog. Weldone!

35. Lady Meme

October 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm

@Naveah, start your own freaking blog if you want to be writing books just to respond. Take a seat please. ———–} NEXT

36. The no one billionaire

October 23, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Pascal is the best actor.Congrats you deserve it.

37. Ify

October 24, 2012 at 12:05 am

Susan peters looks great

38. Lolan

October 24, 2012 at 5:34 am

Thank God for those who know the history of Nollywood. I am glad that people are watching as people want to change history through 3rd rate awards all over the globes. Truth is what Truth does. Let truth be told always

39. Adun

October 24, 2012 at 10:37 am

@naveah
    Your points are very valid, I couldn’t agree with you more. Well said. Shirley you have the floor but please if you can help it no insults, I know that would be difficult for you.

40. DC

October 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

…and Phanton and Lilly…Bwahahahahahaaaaa!!! U guys had me Rolling! 😀

41. Naveah

October 25, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Lady Meme,
    We are having a good discussion about the merits of awards and here you come with nothing to add of substance. My dear, if you can’t handle a healthy debate, find your way to a palm wine joint where people of your caliber are most likely to be found, haven’t you been good far too long? They are probably putting out an APB for their local president. And oh an APB means All Points Bulletin just in case you are feeling the need to google it! There are way too many blogs, I only do unique things but as long as there are excellent ones like Bellanaija, I will contribute to them because I like to learn from others and I want others to learn from me as well. We should always strive to elevate one another and since you aren’t doing that with this particular comment, I suggest you put your behind on several seats at the National Stadium! Deuces…lady ko, lady ni who dash you? Is forcing titles on oneself the new trend?LOL!

42. onnari

October 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

lol ” naveah’s comment. congrats y’all! Godspeed!

43. lala

October 29, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Ramsey Noah is just too handsome and an amazing actor. His recent roles have shown us how wonderful of an actor he is not neglecting Mercy Johnson, U can tell she is really following in the footsteps of her role model Genevieve. Keep it up you both!

44. annur

October 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm

its an exciting ceremony nice one ramsey noah is very talented

45. supdeee

November 11, 2012 at 12:14 am

Its nice to see people being recognised for their talents and I think this award is slowly taking off as even Siera Leone which is just starting in the movie business was nominated for best drama in Enemy of the Family.Kudos to the organisers