Music

“CHANGE… And How To Be A Part Of It” Read Banky W’s Inspiring Speech at the 5th Annual Bola Tinubu’s Colloquium

At the 5th Annual Bola Tinubu Colloquium, which held last week in Lagos, Nigerian award winning singer Banky W was one of the guest speakers and he delivered a moving speech.

The speech titled “CHANGE… and how to be a part of itexplored the different circumstances of oppression and corruption in the society and how change can be possible if the people decide that enough is enough.

Read the speech below:

I recently celebrated my birthday… I was fortunate enough to go to Dubai to attend my friend Tuface Idibia’s wedding… and I want to start off my speech by showing you a couple of pictures of Dubai, because what I saw there inspired me. Ladies and gentlemen, it is the same oil that was discovered there in the 1960’s that they used to transform that society. The very same oil that was discovered here. But what have our leaders done with it?

Benjamin Franklin once said “when you’re finished changing, you’re finished”. I’d like to take that a step further by saying “we must be a part of the change we seek, or risk being changed ourselves”.

The question is no longer “will Nigeria change”… but rather, it’s “will it change for the better or worse” and “who will lead that change”.

History is rife with instances of regimes, institutions and societies seeming stable and unshakeable… but young people being fed up with the status quo, became the catalysts of Change in their societies. In recent times we’ve seen young people all over the world clothe themselves with the “change” mantle and become a part of the movement. We’ve seen that no matter the society, and no matter the circumstances of oppression and corruption, change is possible if the people decide that enough is enough. From Tunisia, to America, to Egypt… young people are changing the world every day. Nigeria should be no different.

They say “insanity” is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We cannot continue the same behaviours, year in, year out and expect better results. Except for prayer, you can’t do the same thing over and over again and expect things to be better. And even with prayer, you actually have to get up and do something after all they say heaven helps those who help themselves.

Things young people can do:
1) Be involved:
Register to vote
Actually Vote for the right candidates.
Or Sit back and let someone else steal your voice.

2) Peacefully protest
Media: Old & New
i. Twitter, Facebook etc – I believe that even though the internet accessibility in Nigeria is still low, we cannot ignore the importance of such platforms. They serve as tools that can help in the movement. And things are changing everyday… many phones today have some internet capability or the other.
Efforts like Occupy Nigeria, Light Up Nigeria, Enough is Enough, etc.
Newspapers, blogs, etc.

3) Become fully involved in the Political process.
It’s easier to talk about and/or criticize people that are working than to do the work yourself. Join a party and try to help influence policy. We can level the playing field if we all get involved in the movement for change. And it’s not just at the federal level. Young people need to start getting involved even from the local and state levels in order to properly influence policy and society.

4) Use whatever voice or platform you have… constructively. I’m a musician and so you’ve seen me singing and speaking publicly about the need for the change in our country… but you can use whatever sphere of influence you have… be it with family, friends, school, neighborhood, church or mosque. Everyone has a voice and a role to play.

I’m here because I’m a dreamer. Everything I have now, that God blessed me with… was born out of my dreams. I dreamt of becoming a singer; dreamt of owning my own Record Label company, and other businesses. Dreamt of being able to influence my surroundings, my city, my state and my country through my work. But Some people stop at dreaming while others actually wake up and set about trying to make those dreams come true.

I dream of a changed Nigeria where each child, no matter the background has a dream of his/her own, and is given access to education, healthcare, and basic amenities in life to make those dreams come true.

I dream of a changed Nigeria where the opportunities abound for anyone willing to work for them; where every man, woman and child is given a fair shot to avoid poverty and become a success at whatever they set their minds to do.

I dream of the day in Nigeria where we finally live up to our potential – as citizens, leaders, countries, and as a Continent.

If our children and future generations witness Nigeria in the same conditions we have her today, then we would have failed them. That’s why I’d rather be here, speaking with like minds and putting my hands to the plow, than sitting at home being an arm chair critic.

We’re all here because we want to be a part of Changing Nigeria for the better. That’s why we are getting involved. Whether or not each person’s intentions are pure… only God would know… only Time will tell and only History will judge.

However I’d rather be a part of the movement for change, than be one of those that are content to sit back and criticize. I’d rather be a player on the field, or a coach, or a worker on the team, than be watching from the stands.

One of my favorite sayings is “the best way to predict your future is to create it”. We can extend that to say that we must create the Nigeria that we want to live in. We must all speak up. We must all work for it. We must all stand up and be counted, if our dreams are to become reality.

I’m Banky W, and I stand for change. Do you?

***

On his website where the speech was published, the EME boss also posted these photos showing the developmental changes in Dubai since the oil boom.

Dubai.. in 1960.. before the oil boom

Dubai… today

Dubai in the ’60′s again…

Dubai, today… using the same oil we discovered around the same time.

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. 'Mide

March 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Dubai model,although good in visuals,should not be the Nigerian model.Nigeria is complec andmulti-ethnic,as such it deserves something more original,not the neon signs of soon to be out of date buildings.

• ant

March 31, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Oh please shut up already! That is not the point.

• Young blood

March 31, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Lol…..mide you really have no sense…….don’t you understand English, anyway u just don’t get it….did he say copy the style of the building? Next time read and understand b4 u show Ur low mentality……

• Ghana

April 1, 2013 at 5:08 am

He is just sharing ideas , he didnt say Nigeria should be the same as Dubai. You are just one of those not ready for change. Read again and understand…… dump

• Jango

April 1, 2013 at 6:03 am

Dumbest and shallowest comment ive ever heard in reference to Dubai

2. Tee

March 31, 2013 at 4:56 pm

how truthful and inspiring this is ! Luv luv !!!

3. AMEN

March 31, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Tell’em broda!!!

4. Kenny

March 31, 2013 at 5:22 pm

“We must all speak up and be part of the change we seek as Nigerians” Good speech bro, at least somebody is stepping up. The mindset of Nigerians need to change, before the country can experience any progress, money is not everything its just a tool and it cannot make one happy.

5. Mina

March 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Yayyyy! Am first….. This is an inspirational speech and we should learn from banky…change is possible only if each individual takes responsibility…yes we can!

• bubblybliss

April 1, 2013 at 1:11 am

Not.

6. lu

March 31, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I vote m.i for president, banky for vice president. Well said banky, but you forgot to mention that these youths should try to get involved in their communities and help out probono, that is another form of change we must see.

7. OAA

March 31, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Thanks Olubankole Wellington

8. R

March 31, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Very good speech

9. SMH

March 31, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I think Banky W should keep quiet and stop trying to act all political. It does not make sense that you talk about change every time meanwhile you are the one dining with the same folks stealing the money. Banky W, start by changing yourself and reducing hypocrisy within before you get all political. There’s nothing inspiring about this speech. A speech is just a speech, especially when it is without action . I weep for Nigeria!!

• jcsgrl

April 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm

You need to shut up and park somewhere. Hypocrite! When you reach his level, who are you going to be dining with? Bus conductors? Go siddon abeg.

10. sorry, i had to comment again.pls fellow Nigerians ,be the change you want to see.seriously, I believe Nigeria can be better if we get involved rather than sitting at home and complaining.

11. taiwo

March 31, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Preach Mr. Banky W!!

12. Stella Kashmoney

March 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Preach it bro.

13. iamfascinating

March 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm

so true. Banky’s pretty smart. Well said.

14. daygee

March 31, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Well we all need change but nothing inspiring in the content. But we need change in strategy and not change of government.

15. madman

March 31, 2013 at 8:39 pm

**yawns** another talk shop – all talk no action. Don’t talk of the countless “potential” good politicians who have been murdered for naught… No justice, no support, just NOTHING has happened. They are now 6 feet under, somewhere in the spirit realm. Nigeria is a very tricking place to work in. Banky keep talking, that’s the best that you have to offer.

• Mallama

April 1, 2013 at 3:46 am

I agree. I don’t trust any of these artists. They didn’t condemn Tuface and Annie for partaking in reckless looting and his going to a Tinubu (another shaddy politician) to preach to the wrong choir.

Right message at the wrong time.

16. madman

March 31, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Bella, pls include Kola Oyeneyin’s speech, I want to read.

• Specs

April 1, 2013 at 6:09 am

Shebi it’s all talk….why do you want to read?? Odesin special like you…..

• madman

April 1, 2013 at 11:43 pm

sharraaap joor :p

• jcsgrl

April 4, 2013 at 3:35 pm

The 2 of una don kill me o! Chai! Where would I be without BN comments?

17. Aiyekoto

March 31, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Banky pls change too by not stealing 75percent of wizkids income. Change.

• Peperempe

April 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm

looooooooollll

• Aunty Prada

April 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm

DEADEST

• madman

April 1, 2013 at 11:42 pm

tehehehe…..

18. douby

March 31, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I don’t think he’s saying we should use the dubai model, I think the point is we expect a functioning system in the least. Good write up.
    On a side note, I dreamt Banky and I had sex(blush) and it was good (double blush)

19. wunmi

March 31, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Love the speech. I couldnt agree’ more. In thl e uK ewe are doing our own to contribute to making the future of Nigeria better. Check out our web site http://www.pathtopossibilities.co.uk we sponsor young disadvantaged talented children to go to secondary school in Nigeria. Hopefully his speech wont fall on deaf ears.

20. Ayo

March 31, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Well said by Banky W…again.
    I agree the best way to predict the future of Nigeria is to take responsibility for creating what we want and resisting what we don’t want.

21. Lolade

March 31, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Zzzzzzzzz…banky is talking to a brick wall

22. NGP

April 1, 2013 at 12:39 am

GO Banky W…

23. Enobuncolin

April 1, 2013 at 12:46 am

To xperience a better Nigeria we must also stop complaining of d economy or government & tink of wat impact we can offer.i ‘ve an inspiring quote which says dat evry individual is a nation & also a maker of his or her fortune in life God bless Nigeria & one luv.

24. Mujer Casada

April 1, 2013 at 5:31 am

Banky W?? Now I want to meet you. This type of speech is not made up. It comes from the spring within. We need to take this message and break it down to those on the ground. Change is not only about what your government can do for you or what everyone around you can do to rectify your situation. Change is about drawing the line for yourself and setting on a path that keeps you sound asleep at night. Change is not about obstructionism. Change is about looking at the impossible and seeing the possible. It is about taking what tastes rotten and making a good tasting stew out of it. Our country has failed us. we cannot wait for leaders with no vision for the future any longer. The more we wait on them, the more they victimize us. Victimize me and I am riding my BMW? Yes, indeed, you too. Because if you can have a BMW in Nigeria after your country has made every effort to cut you down at the knees, then you should be driving a lambourghini. You have been prevented from reaching your full potential. If you are driving a lambo, it means you should have been commuting with a helicopter. If you are riding a bicycle, it means you should have been on a super bike. If you are trekking, you should have been riding a bicycle. We will never have a society where all have the same amount of access. However, we can have a society where each man or woman is enabled by the physical, social and economic environment to reach their full potential. We have lost in this battle. We should all feel accountable for bringing about change, whether you now import your steak from London or not (you could have been getting the finest beef from Japan)

25. Temizzy

April 1, 2013 at 7:46 am

26. nene

April 1, 2013 at 9:19 am

all talk. talk talk. but at least we keep talking, nobody is listening or doing anything. nigeria is a failed country.

27. Cool cat

April 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

no government, good or bad will ever change nigeria. WE ARE OUR OWN PROBLEM. nigerians are so negative and averse to progress that we will always shut down any attempt to improve our fortunes. yes our hopes have been dashed times without number but do we then give up completely? our generation is very fortunate, we have seen the degradation of culture and ethics amongst our predecessors, we can identify the problems and i dare say we know how tosolve them. but if a leader does not have the right team then he will fail woefully. just this comment from banky and it garners so much negativity, i hate to think some of the people making comments here might one day be in a position to influence change but they will not bcos they will never open thier minds. United Arab Emirates is no diffent form nigeria, it is constituted by 7 states that came together(together being the operative word) of which dubai, Abu Dhabi, sharjah among others are part of the UAE. Abu Dhabi supports all the other states, even though they each have thier rulers. i don’t know if its thier religion or just mind set but they all conform. we only need such unity in nigeria, if only we can stand together as one nation, with a clear vision, only then would things improve. as long as we keep saying i am igbo, or christian or delta igbo, we will NEVER move forward. how this will happen i have no clue

28. Dayo B

April 1, 2013 at 10:31 am

Define irony. A speech given at a colloquium named after Bola Tinubu. Please, define irony.

• Bukky

April 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm

#GBAM!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

You just did and it makes you appreciate just how dirt cheap “talk” actually is.

• madman

April 1, 2013 at 11:45 pm

that’s Nigeria…. after politican like Bola don chop belle full… he is now talking about “change” after the fact….

29. dharmy

April 1, 2013 at 12:14 pm

@ant you read my mind. its like some people dont bother digesting the message before commenting.

30. dharmy

April 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

the first step is changing our mindset towards things. because before nigeria can change its going to take a really long time. since the youth who are supposed to be the future leaders already have the wrong mindset always thinking of how to make money in

31. Concerned_Boyfriend

April 1, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Rhetorics!. All na talk!!. It’s easy for people like Banky with influence and clout to preach change while the common Nigerian languishes in poverty. The instrument of change has been suppressed far too long in Nigeria and I’m afraid change won’t come anytime soon. Rhetorics and empty stomach don’t get along.

32. bellanaija banky is referring to you too ndi oshii

April 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm

bellanaija listen too ooo stop celebrating thieves and their childrens wedding!! thats what you do best !! tomorrow you’ll come and paste the corruption in our country is too much shiioooor !!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Aunty Prada

April 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Banky W has good intentions but in the end I’m like whatever. Apart from featuring one political song about Nigeria on every album of his, what else has he done? This is a genuine question and if you have any responses, please point it out and correct me. He dreams of a better Nigeria and so I hope that he is doing more than just singing about a better Nigeria or giving speeches about a better Nigeria. I guess I’m just very disillusioned by all these artists. Look at 2face now, after singing that song on his second album about greedy politicians and the likes, he still collected Prado jeep and all expenses paid trip for his wedding.

In response to twitter and all those enough is enough campaigns, light up nigeria etc etc…please, how exactly have they helped Nigeria? After all the noise, I haven’t seen any progress o. I’m not trying to pour sand into anybody’s garri, but I’m just not moved by wonderful words on paper anymore.

• Haw

April 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm

You told the truth, Mr banky was crticizing dbanj for being involvrd in politics by interviewing the President, then banky himself interviewed fashola. Now he’s at the forum of a documented politician looter, tinubu. Which way naijeriya? Remove the spec from ur own eye, guy.

• jcsgrl

April 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm

You nko? what have you done? Go and give your own speech. mcheew

• chacha

April 2, 2013 at 7:45 am

lool!

34. 'Mide

April 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Naija, I hail o! Lost generation, l salute! Banky, I feel your dream me sef dream of inventing machine wey go eradicate corruption.

35. Aunty Prada

April 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm

It’s as if JCSgirl is Banky’s girlfriend with the level of aggressive voltroning that she is doing all over this post. I see you girl!!!

• jcsgrl

April 2, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Lol. No hun Jcsgirl aint Banky’s boo. She is very happily married and Banky ain’t her type. I just needed to address some ignorant comments albeit very strongly.

36. Dear Nigeria

April 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm

This is a very inspiring speech. I have been convicted especially where he talks of “arm chair critics”. It is so easy to want change, but at be a enemy of progress when you sit and criticize those who are actually making some effort. We gotta pray and then move!

dearnigeria.tumblr.com/

37. anonymous 1

April 1, 2013 at 10:55 pm

to all those saying its “jes talk” you are d type he referred to as ‘arm chair critics’…..tell me wat difference u’ve made in ur own sphere of contact,after which u can spit all d venom u want.

38. Nigerian my friend country

April 2, 2013 at 3:57 am

Am not a Nigerian but this speech touch my heart and how I wish I was a Nigerian, this is a very what a nice inspiring speech and I hope all Nigerians all over the world take this into consideration. I love Nigerian and I love to see Nigerian develop , may God help Nigeria to become the dream country that is made to be

39. Nigerian my friend country

April 2, 2013 at 4:09 am

Am not a Nigerian but this speech touches my heart and how I wish I was a Nigerian, this is a very nice inspiring speech and I hope all Nigerians all over the world take this into consideration. I love Nigerian and I love to see Nigerian develop , may God help Nigeria to become the dream country that is made to be. One person can’t build a nation it take many,
    Banky W u have done a great job hope Nigerian follow your foot step and help build a better Nigeria