Events

Celebrating 100 Years of Inspiring Nigerian Women! Exclusive Photos of Patience Jonathan, Oluchi Orlandi, Folorunsho Alakija, Rita Dominic, Bola Shagaya & More at the Event in Lagos

Last month, a two-day conference tagged 100 Years of the Nigerian Woman: Achieving 50/50 by 2020 took place at the Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.

The event was sponsored by Folorunsho Alakija and it is part of the Nigeria Centenary Celebration. The event is aimed at reinforcing the role of women in nation building.

The event kicked off with inspiring speeches and panel discussions. At night, the ladies got to network and be entertained at the Gala Dinner.

Guests including First Lady of Nigeria Dame Patience Jonathan, Bola Shagaya, Rita Dominic, Oluchi Orlandi, Sammy Okposo, Onyeka Onwenu, Erelu Abiola Dosunmu, TY Bello, Musiliu Obanikoro, Princess Dammy, Lepacious Bose, Taiwo Ajai-Lycett, Nike Davies Okundaye and Ara were ushered into the arrivals lounge which was decorated with images of some of Nigeria’s most iconic women.

BN was on the scene and we have all the arrival and inside shots – Check it out!

Exclusive Photos Arrivals Lounge Welcome Oluchi Orlandi Inside Photo Credit: Kunle Haastrup for Insigna

1. DA

May 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

Nice Event, was looking forward to seeing Mary Slesor’s pix amongst all the pictures displayed. I liked all those who wore African attire made a lot of sense to me. The richest woman in Africa and some other guest less is more abeg.

• Bleed blue

May 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

So was I jare, until I saw the actual title of the event was “100 years of the Nigerian Woman…” I guess unless Mary Slessor naturalized, she can’t really be considered a Nigerian Woman.
      She deserves much hailing though!

• How did they manage to misspell Oyinkan Abayomi? Ugh! looks like a beautiful event, refreshing too. A breath of fresh air from them nollywood red carpets and co *rolls eyes* Proudly Nigerian to the bone.

• jackie

June 14, 2013 at 8:08 pm

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA: 100 YEARS OF NIGERIAN WOMEN! Everyone wants to be noticed! Can you imagine men celebrating 100 years of Nigerian men?!… As opposed to 100years of Nigeria, PERIOD [That is if you must celebrate the beginning of institutionalism of Colonialism in Nigeria]!

COUNTRY FULL OF MEDIOCRES NOONE THINKS ANYTHING THROUGH!

• jackie

June 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm

COUNTRY FULL OF MEDIOCRES

2. Partyrider

May 17, 2013 at 8:43 am

Nice pictures

3. pynk

May 17, 2013 at 8:53 am

who designed patience’ s big bird outfit?

• jcsgrl

May 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Where do I even start with on what this comment did to me? Sighs!!! Patience it is well

• Sleektouchbigboldbeautiful

May 17, 2013 at 6:04 pm

You made me burst into laughter at work my colleagues think am mad nw. u r right tho

• ms sexy

May 18, 2013 at 8:42 pm

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahha
      more like it
      u wicked pa

4. Janey

May 17, 2013 at 8:53 am

Rita Dominic can do no wrong in my eyes

5. OLAPEJU

May 17, 2013 at 8:56 am

NICE ONE……….WE ARE MOTHER’S OF THE WORLD.

6. meeee

May 17, 2013 at 8:57 am

what is our first lady putting on???

• tokunbo

May 17, 2013 at 11:31 am

Blanket

• ASK9

May 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm

@ meeee, I just cant deal…..*sighs*

7. BellaYankee

May 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

Guess money and power can’t give u fashion sense. See d horrible decor, everything is just over the top and ugly.

Folorunsho Alakija n Dame Patience, what are you guys wearing?

• tokunbo

May 17, 2013 at 11:32 am

Blanket

• jcsgrl

May 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I swear tokunbo et all, biko unu hapu m aka (make una leave me alone biko before they fire me for work). Chei! I have laughed, cried, chuckled, my sides aches, I can’t talk, I can’t shout,

8. Bleed blue

May 17, 2013 at 9:05 am

Oh wow! I’m stuck on the posters of the old but true greats! I want to see them all!!!
    Brings back memories of my history lessons and reaffirms my faith in the dignity and worth of the Nigerian woman.

Love it!

9. Thelma

May 17, 2013 at 9:06 am

very nice

10. Gbemmy

May 17, 2013 at 9:08 am

Beautiful people,BUT……………….I think our first lady should change her stylist Abeg!ki lo de? I just don’t understand what is wearing,*eyes rolling*

• Tiki

May 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

lol, I don’t either! I mean her silhouette looks nice, but the froufrou at the neck makes her look shorter and the sleeves are too long!

11. koko

May 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

VERY NICE EVENNT….WOMEN RE INDEED THE BRAIN BOX OF THE WORLD…

leccesroyale.blogspot.com/

12. Cool cat

May 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

nigeria’s history needs to be preserved, more importantly female greats need to be celebrated. its so sad that there aren’t any significant platforms to educate our children on what true leadership and service to country is. all they see now is looting, outright thievery and a failed system, nothing to encourage people to emulate and serve thier nation. sad

13. betty

May 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

They have used our money to do another celebration oooo *sobs*

• Alero

May 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

Those were my exact thoughts when I watched the event live on TV. This is exactly what Professor Soyinka was talking about. Of what use is this overly glamorous event to the common man?

Anyway, that it why it is Nigeria: Anything goes. Meanwhile, how come I don’t see the Nigerian lady (I don’t remember her name; she was @the forefront of Prof. Soyinka’s protest) honoured recently my Mitchell Obama @the event? Obviously not worth her while.

• Lady

May 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Joe Okei-Odumakin

14. Tongryang Pantu

May 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

It was a really great event, watched part of it some weeks back.

15. Tosin

May 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

It’s nice to see how the over-40s roll, fashion-wise. *Some* of them look nice.
    When I grow up, I want to be a smiling, dancing, babe like “Aunt” Nike Arts.
    It looks like a really fun *show* that would have been nice to attend.
    The biggest treasure is in the historical boards; I’d say it’s motivational to see… so glad that nowadays it’s not rare for women to achieve like that.

16. Opsy

May 17, 2013 at 10:00 am

Na wa for you O! If all you could see at this great event is what the women are wearing, then there is trouble. These women have achieved so much for themselves and you are here discussing their fashion and dress sense. FYI, women over a certain age, create a signature style for themselves. It might look ridiculous but it is their signature and that is what Alakija represents. When mary Odili was first lady of Rivers state, she had only one style of blouse (CWO) but in different colours. It didn’t diminish who she was. Men hardly have time for such trivialities so we should learn from them.

17. Tikka Masala

May 17, 2013 at 10:02 am

Very soon Madam Folorunsho will say she wants to run for president of Nigeria. SMH.

• Mama

May 18, 2013 at 11:47 am

My sista…
      With all her billions she can afford to employ a stylist. I will even offer to style her for free.
      She looks like a freaking Christmas tree in the middle of Summer… Just saying!!

18. Bee

May 17, 2013 at 10:17 am

Why are slave traders been celebrated??

19. Opsy

May 17, 2013 at 10:28 am

“The event was sponsored by Folorunsho Alakija and it is part of the Nigeria Centenary Celebration” Read before you comment.

• Mama

May 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

Mrs Alakija so you too dey read Bella??
      Good to have you here Oooo

20. Opsy

May 17, 2013 at 10:31 am

@ Tikka Masala, what is wrong with “Madam Folorunsho’ nursing the ambition to be President?? She and other women should be encouraged to run for political offices. It is so sad to read such negative comments.

21. Iris

May 17, 2013 at 10:31 am

Sometimes I wonder…when top government officials celebrate Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, do they ever reflect on the way she died? Because they should

22. ccc

May 17, 2013 at 10:39 am

…Still fiddling while Rome burns…

• i no send

May 17, 2013 at 12:47 pm

cyber kiss for you…….its only the discerning with a certain IQ level that will understand your statement dear

• deep

May 18, 2013 at 9:01 am

Pls stop throwing ard IQ talk recklessly. Anyone who is aware of the happenings in Nigeria will get it. Nothing to do with IQ… hiss

• Fabulous ££

May 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm

@ ccc….spot on! u couldn’t have said it any better.

23. iamfascinating

May 17, 2013 at 10:49 am

nice,

thestunninglady.blogspot.com

24. Ms. Jayee

May 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

Why were there no female Nigerian students? artisans? professionals? What was the major thrust of the event? Celebrating what exactly? Was a Foundation/Initiative instituted? What plans have they put in place so that the women of the next generation can celebrate? Just another private party with Government money!!!

• Betty Adex

May 17, 2013 at 6:35 pm

God bless you!!!

25. Wale

May 17, 2013 at 11:16 am

What about Nigerian Men- we deserved to be celebrated too, abi? I am sure Dangote will be happy to pick up the tab.

26. Berry Dakara

May 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

I like that off-shoulder black dress – http://cdn.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1596-399×600.jpg

@Tikka Masala – if she’ll run the country better than it is now, then why not?!

27. nkem

May 17, 2013 at 11:41 am

Sorry to digress a bit, but I see a lot of the women in those pictures are of yoruba origin. I like that yoruba women were educated very early and had a voice as well. I’m not sure what was going on in the east (specifally the igbo states) with their women. Hopefuly they are catching up.

• nene

May 17, 2013 at 12:02 pm

igbo women prefer to take care of their children, business, and family, and you know igbo culture doesn’t really give women the chance.

• Fabulous ££

May 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm

@ ccc….spot on! u couldn’t have said it any [email protected] and nkem…both of you must be very ignorant! dazall…

28. Comfort

May 17, 2013 at 11:54 am

The event decor was so nice..
    And all those haters, shame on you, why cant women simply celebrate each other and plan a way forward for Nigeria?
    Biko take several seats in the National Library jare ___/ ___/ ___/

29. Laila

May 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm

BN, pls pls and pls take full shots of ALL the posters and post in a separate article. It’ll be a wonderful memento for all those who couldnt attend and also those who want to keep the history.
    P-l-e-a-s-e-!!!!!

• Keek Dat

May 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Are you Laila’s blog? You want to thief am for your blog? RiRi Dominic looks nice and simple

30. Folorunsho Alakija has always been a trend setter i am impressed by the fact that shes using her affluence for the women of Nigeria. Nice event

31. Warri Pickin

May 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Error !! my name is missing wetin happen ….lol

32. NNENNE

May 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Great initiative. We need to celebrate our women because Nigerian society does not really give them their worth.Read about Aba women’s riot of 1929… to the British government. That also shows that southern women had a voice in those days. I did not know Margret Ekpo was the founder of that Association.
    I wish we had students, traders, artisans and all categories of Nigerian women in attendance. Am inspired!

33. i no send

May 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Oronto Oronto the man still is not dulling…what are the following women wearing?…dame patience,mrs alakija(always dressing weirdly) and Ara the drummer

34. Af

May 17, 2013 at 12:45 pm

As inspiring as this event was, all I want to know is ………who advised this lady on her outfit?http://cdn.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1526.jpg. An arrest must be made immediately.

35. Uche

May 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Not all Igbo women in that era were not educated. My grandmother was from that era and she even got her master’s degree in The U.K. It is just that some women definitely had more opportunities than others.

36. Bella

May 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Great event, to honour women is to honour God too. They have no doubt done a splendid job in getting us all here. The event was nice and very dignified, no crazy short dresses above the knees but you can the money is right here. kikikiki!

37. Mr. Jones

May 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Pointless. You’re celebrating Miriam Babangida and Kuti in the same event. Focus on either celebrating tyrants or celebrating freedom fighters so the purpose of the event is clear.

• lola

May 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Mr jones> *sigh* i dont even know where to begin. We are just a confused lot.

• Msunderstood

May 17, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Maryam Babangida, that was d first thing that hit me. Shebi she gave folorunsho oil block na abi. And no Kudirat Abiola who fought n died so we cld ve democracy oshisco.

• ASK9

May 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm

@ Mr. Jones, why wouldn’t Miriam Babangida be celebrated in the same light as Kuti? Did you forget that it was Miriam that gave Alakija the famous oil blocks that she presently controls? Not surprised though.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm

You know, I was staring hard Mariam Babangida’s photograph and wondering what the eff was going on here …. And then I realised exactly what sort of farce was on display and just ended up feeling weary of the BS. How in the world can anyone with any knowledge of Nigerian history imagine that Magaret Ekpo & Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti would have sat back and supported all that Miriam Babangida and her ilk stood for? The gall of it.

• Tunmi

May 17, 2013 at 8:52 pm

It’s all a farce

38. Abiola

May 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Am I the only one that noticed this poster?
    How could she have given birth to him?
    Or am I missing something?

• Miss Anonymous

May 17, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Not the present Oba of Benin

• Naija talk

May 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I noticed it. Wondering how Queen Idia whose lifespan was given as 1873-1953 could have given birth to the Oba of Benin whose lifespan was given as 1504-1550. Oh well!

39. Miss Anonymous

May 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Just another excuse to squander the nation’s resources! I don’t see what is there to celebrate. We are on the brink of total anarchy and breakdown of law and order and you are “celebrating” 100 years of inspiring who to do what? They should stop using these departed souls as an excuse for a night out on the tax payers.

40. Miss Anonymous

May 17, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Ok, I see it was sponsored by Folorunsho Alakija. Great! But then again, flying our dear First lady and her entourage of follow follows to Lagos and lodging them would have cost who knows how many millions of Naira. Another waste!

41. hmm

May 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm

you “celebrate” people and throw away their legacies and like Mr. Jones said, you add the freedom fighters and progressives with wives of military heads of states that threw the country into the confusion she’s in today, what exactly is the moral lesson of the event? it’s just so like us Nigerians, we forget so easily, we throw away the lessons from events and celebrate mediocrity, provided our egos have been romanced and our palms rubbed with some naira. God help this generation!

42. kokolette04

May 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I am so proud to be a Nigerian Woman! I’m in very good company.. Always dressed to impress, strong! and a go-getter!

43. Oaken

May 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm

The lost me with the Maryam babangidas poster…whaddaheck?

44. loveth O.

May 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Well done First Lady

45. ij

May 17, 2013 at 2:53 pm

“The event is aimed at reinforcing the role of women in nation building” na true
    i bet you half of them are busy exchanging each others tailor details

46. Teddy Bear

May 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm

OMG!!! I’m so in love with this! YESS!!! What happened to the “woman”?!? Where is “she”?! Instead of the rubbish and nonsense that defines the modern day woman, we need more of “this” type of “woman”! I also love the way they incorporated true culture into the whole event! Lovely! I wish I was there.

47. Alero

May 17, 2013 at 5:25 pm

@ Lady: Thanks 4 d reminder. *Kisses*

48. b

May 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm

• Mama

May 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

I do.
      She’s loaded and has class.

• London's finest

May 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Same here.

Bola shagaya. Her dress style is simple, effortless, decent yet classy.

I love her skin tone too.

49. b

May 17, 2013 at 6:17 pm

50. mongs

May 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm

bunch of animals!

go and build hospitals, well equipped ones!!
    nigerians are dying daily for lack of basic amenities

uugghhh i hat ethis country

51. asdf

May 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Nwo fi ETE s’ile nwo wa le LAPA-LAPA kiri (Yoruba). Den leave LEPROSY behind den come dey chase CRAW-CRAW(Pidgin). long and short : PRIORITY!!!

52. Observation

May 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Please read the article clearly, it says in BOLD that the event was sponsored by Folorunsho Alakija. If she chooses to spend her money on this event that’s her prerogative . As much as I do agree that some of these great women be praised. What about this generation? What are achieving? #mytwokobospent.

• lola

May 17, 2013 at 9:24 pm

LMAO! animal na understatement.

• lola

May 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm

yes. it was sponsored by folorunsho alakija, but do you realize how much money the presidency would have wasted on this useless event?

53. Oaken

May 18, 2013 at 12:34 am

@msunderstood…kudirat abiola did not fight for democracy, she only fought to become First Lady and the took her out. Nothing she fought fr ws altruistic …it was all self serving

54. NNENNE

May 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm

@Oaken…You are absolutely right!

55. London's finest

May 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Oh dear!!!

Dame patience needs a stylish ASAP.

how can someone with so much money and access to the best stylists and personal shoppers in the world be so razz, eh?

She looks like someone dressed for the pantomime.

Is that taiwo ajai Lycett on the stage? http://cdn.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1694.jpg

She’s ageing gracefully.

56. mamia

May 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Was at the event- well- I would have preferred Mrs Alakija put ‘her’ money to better use- we have had far too many of such celebrations. if you ask me there’s nothing to celebrate about Nigeria the country- talkless of the Nig woman. The only thing dt touched me during the event- was when young kids offered a rendition of the 2nd stanza of the National Anthem: O God…. guide our leaders right…..to build a nation where truth and justice shall reign!!! I really pray it touched the woman in yellow ( who btw looked stunning!) and her entourage.

57. Odior

May 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm

@obsy pple have a right to their opinion I think………..

58. zsa zsa

May 19, 2013 at 6:17 am

Maryam Babangida???!!!
    I’m impressed with the line up of historical figures, makes me wonder what we(women) are doing today to make a difference like the ladies above did. I bet Queen Amina would scoff at the fact that these days we argue about issues such as submission and being under or on top of a man.

59. Hurperyermie

May 20, 2013 at 8:22 am

Patience! Patience! which kind outfit be this?

60. Ade

May 27, 2013 at 8:47 pm

@ Bella, to honour a woman is NOT to honour God. Please be careful, you worship the Creator NOT the created.

61. lola

June 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Forgive me… I wishI could see a role model in our First Lady, but cannot muster that feeling. Same goes for a lot of the women smiling in these pictures. I am glad for the celebration, I just pray we can get back to the era of the Nigerian woman because many of our public figures have lost the plot. Late comment but I could not help myself. The pivtures of “our Heroes past” gave a surge of pride. Then I got a bit angry as the photo reel went on.