News

Started from the Bottom…Now We’re Here! You Need to Read Basketmouth’s Inspiring Story

BasketMouth 2013As the lyrics to Canadian rapper Drake’s mega hit go “Started from the Bottom, Now We’re Here“…
Nigerian stars are one of the clearest examples of living the Nigerian dream. Many started from very humble beginnings and today…well “levels don change”!

We hear Nigerian comedic superstar Basketmouth‘s autobiography is in the works and he has recently started sharing stories from his early days.

Check on it.

Part 1 – My First Big Break
Backstage at the Rothmans Groove Tour which held at TBS in 1998, there I was seated with the likes of the Plantashun Boiz,Dr. Fresh, Remedies and more…I was just a young boy trying to weigh his options on what direction to go with his career as drumming, rapping, producing and comedy were few of my options.

That night was the 1st time I met Tony Tetuila, one of those humble guys you come by, he was warm and accommodating considering the obvious fact that I was nobody in the industry.

Fast forward a few months later, Comedy had won me over and in the course of my hustle and journey to where I’m yet to get to, I bumped into Tetuila in Festac, just about the time his single ‘You Don Hit My Car‘ came out.

We reconnected while playing catch up. We had common friends so ‘bumping’ into each other became a tradition. The 1st time he saw me perform at a concert was at a gig The Plantashun Boiz used to host at the Den in Ikeja.

I must have impressed him because not long after that night, I got a call from him asking that we meet up. We did and he took me for a meeting in Lagos Island (Shell Office). A director at Shell was retiring and a send-forth party was being held in his honour. My performance fee then was N10,000, Tony pushed it up and convinced the client to pay N30,000 which they paid cash. Prior to this, they had never heard of me and only used me because Tony believed in me and stood up for me, convincing them to buy in.

I was paid in full a week to the show.

After picking up the cash I went straight home. Now here I was, a young comic with his 1st major pay-out of N30,000. Considering the fact that my 1st performance fee was N300 (1%) of what I had in my pocket, I couldn’t help but to thank God.

I got home, gave my mum N25,000 and kept N5,000 from which I bought a shirt, pants and shoes from Tejuosho market to wear for the event. Ready for my first big show…

Part 2
As I pay respect to those great men that changed my life, the seemingly little gestures that shaped me and have made me who I am… I recall another long evening…

Year 2000, Fame pre-award concert. Dele Olukoju and Wale Oluwaleimu were the stage/project managers. Wale had suggested I come perform in my bid to build a name.

I went there with a friend of mine,we had spent the last kobo on us transporting ourselves and getting food to eat as the event didn’t start early enough.

My performance was done at about midnight. It was a great outing for me. As it was time to leave,I met with the show organisers hoping I’d be paid for my service or get a little change for transport. Unfortunately, communication had gone wrong somehow as they thought I was doing the performance for free. It dawned on me at that moment, that I was in trouble.

By 2am, the concert was still banging in full swing and I was totally exhausted. While moving around I met Six Foot Plus and Terry D Rapman…now, I was a big fan of their work and so we got talking. It so happened that they loved my performance that evening so we hit it off immediately.

After some minutes of small talk, I swallowed my ego and pride and brought myself to ask Six Foot Plus for transport money, he didn’t have much on him but he split what he had and gave me N60 which was more than enough to cover our bus fare.

We happily bounced out from the concert, confident and as God will have it,there was a bus going our way. In 30mins we were in Yaba, walking to Railway Compound-Ebute Meta where I was staying.

By 4am I lay in my little corner, the end of another successful day in my struggle for relevance, I was happy at my chance to perform,
Exhausted by my ordeal but most importantly, I was grateful for that rapper who shared all he had on him with me, my new friend and saving grace, Six foot Plus

Inspiring!

1. cece

August 2, 2013 at 10:53 am

nice to know that he still remembers , and is grateful to those who helped him climb the ladder in this life. people come into our lives, at a particular time for a particular purpose. Thank God for his abundant grace.

2. Hurperyermie

August 2, 2013 at 10:53 am

am happy for you bro. am sure there is always a starting point and am sure am on my way to the top

3. Berry Dakara

August 2, 2013 at 11:13 am

Wow. Very humble beginnings. It’s been nice to see his rise through the years.

4. Nomy

August 2, 2013 at 11:39 am

At his wedding, champagne flowed. It was a big event. People envied him but hear where he came from and respect God !

5. Non professional opinion

August 2, 2013 at 11:50 am

This is particularly poignant for me because I’ve spent all morning thinking about ” small beginnings”. After enjoying success in my current field, if I’m to follow my passion it involves starting from the bottom as a “nobody”. I finally resolved to take that path after hearing from God this morning and everything that has come my way since then seems to be telling me I’m on the right path.
    God willing I will have a similar tale to tell one day.

6. ty

August 2, 2013 at 11:55 am

[email protected]’hear where he came from and respect God’

7. Idak

August 2, 2013 at 11:59 am

Na this kin tori dey sweet me.
    Bright,more strength and favour to your hustles. If only one person gets inspired by this and is encouraged to keep on walking along the path of life’s struggles,then it would have been worth it.
    Well done!

8. Idak

August 2, 2013 at 12:05 pm

No be who first show up on the scene dey blow pass o!
    See all the people he mentioned that were on the scene before him in the entertainment industry. His material worth and sphere of influence today has eclipsed theirs tremendously. Shows you the futility of envy and comparing yourself with others.

• i no send

August 3, 2013 at 8:24 pm

i concur @ idak..and im glad he remembers cos people easily forget….on a related note i hope the babes who are clamouring for “bright the comedy star” also now know that it wasn’t always this way..

9. DREAL

August 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm

He’s so sweet…Bless you!

10. 3redsmit

August 2, 2013 at 12:24 pm

soo refreshing to see you give credit to your humble beginnings, cant wait to be in your position too some day…. 🙂

its happening at browns cafe, ikeja, on the 4th of august (12-7pm) and its our first ever exhibition and coming out party! u do not want to miss it……. see you ther
    3redsmit 😉 :*M
    3redsmit.tumblr.com

11. nene

August 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm

on another note, his brother, godwin, is fucking hot!!

12. tatafo!

August 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Wow, this is inspiring. I was very touched that he gave his mother the first N25k he made. Bible doesn’t lie when it says honor thy mother and thy father and it shall be well with thee.

13. very inspiring, your gift will def make way for you

14. nigeria news today

August 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

WoOOOw. Very humble beginnings. It’s been nice to see his rise through the years.

15. TayoMan

August 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

16. Adams Ede

August 2, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Made sense.

17. http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

August 3, 2013 at 12:09 am

This is really sweet. I’m happy for him. It’s great that he is so honest about his struggle.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

18. NNENNE

August 3, 2013 at 1:55 am

It is not always where you started but where you got to.
    Inspiring!

19. Sly Umeh

August 3, 2013 at 9:14 am

am inspired by ur humble beginning bro! After all there’s still a whole lot of Tony Tetuila’s who are willing to provide a ladder for one to clamb with!! Thnks Bright Am inspired.

20. G'IYAZ

August 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm

This story touched my heart… Ooh am inspired

21. Peaches

August 5, 2013 at 11:39 am

my eyes were teary when i read ” I gave 25k to my mum and when six foot plus shared his pocket money with him” how nice and thoughtful of u, Basket Mouth…to inspire us with this. May God continue to shine His light on u and urs. And thanks to those that paved the way for him.

22. Nollywood REinvented

August 11, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I love how he remembers the seemingly little things