News

Bimbo Akintola: ” I Am Not Looking…And I Don’t Need a Husband”

BellaNaija.com

Bimbo-Akintola

Bimbo Akintola is living life on her own terms.

The Nollywood star recently had a chat with a Vanguard reporter; she spoke on starting out as an actress, her regrets, and crazy rumours.

The reporter asked the single actress what is the worst rumour she has heard about herself. And it comes to the fact that people think she is desperate need of a husband.

“Oh, that I’m looking for a husband, that I’m desperate for a husband. That’s the worst I’ve heard and that’s the latest one. I’m not looking for a husband and I don’t need one.” she says.

Read Excerpts from the interview
On not needing a husband: “I don’t need anything. I’m a complete person. I only do things that make me happy, because I believe and I understand the reality that this is just one life and you should live it to the maximum, happiness and peace should be the key. I’m not searching for a husband, because the rumour that I’m searching for a husband has given me wahala,- all kinds of people from left, right and centre, looking for me saying they want to marry me. Please, I’m using this opportunity to tell everybody, I am not looking for a husband!”

On regrets: “No regrets whatsoever. I’m doing what I want to do. I’m excited.”

On her relaionship status: “Yes, I am. But I don’t talk about my relationships.”

You go girl, live life the way you want…and could all the brothers asking her hand in marriage give her a break.

1. Chic

January 3, 2014 at 10:20 am

How many ways do I love this girl!

2. http://legonaija.blogspot.co.uk

January 3, 2014 at 10:40 am

I am happy for you..

3. temitope

January 3, 2014 at 10:44 am

Living her life like its golden…u go girl…do wat makes u happy and don’t listen to what others have to say about the way you live your life…I would love to get married thou, but thatdoesnt mean I shouldn’t enjoy my single life while it lasts, when its time , the right man will come. Shikena!!!!no time for brooding and worrying this new year..life not get duplicate…go ahead and enjoy ur life bimbo!!!

4. judith irenoa

January 3, 2014 at 11:03 am

Thumbs up Bimbo. Its your life and we only live once.

5. frances

January 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

Aint nobody gat time to pine after a man and wait for marriage b4 ur life begins. Yes,its sweet,yes,its all good and lovely,but while the man’s stuck somewhere,live your life to fullest, while he’s still stuck somewhere,live,laugh,love.
    Thumbs up to her!

6. nene

January 3, 2014 at 12:46 pm

ok oh. we haf hear.

7. Ade

January 3, 2014 at 12:48 pm

go girl, the man will come at the right time

8. mary

January 3, 2014 at 12:51 pm

love this woman to bits!!! u go Bimbo! u rock!

9. ilyas

January 3, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Who needs the old cargo sef!

• Que

January 3, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Habaa! O le to yen ni? Why so purznal? R u one of d
      chasers?

10. Que

January 3, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Is dat why she’s always carrying dodgy hair? Still a fantastic actress though.

11. Endo

January 3, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Hear hear! Life is too short; whatever situation we find ourselves in, we should live it to the full praising God all the way!

Pls share your endometriosis stories @ endochallenges.wordpress.com. Let’s beat endo together!

12. Ashanti

January 3, 2014 at 1:48 pm

do u baybayyyy

13. Iyke

January 3, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Taaaaaa..Not even you can just “love you for you” — that’s why you’re miserable and sending me private messages asking me what I think you should do with your life. biko ka m nu ife!

14. Iyke

January 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm

sorry, wasn’t referring to this article…. Please
    disregard!!! Bimbo,your thoughts about yourself are more powerful
    than what other people think. First time I ever hear / saw your
    face at the University of Ibadan, (Queens Hall) I knew you’ve got
    the vibe.

15. merci

January 3, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Yesso Bimbo take your time, marriage is forever things o!

16. Baba Olowo

January 3, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I just have so much love for this babe. Go ahead Bimbo, with your……..self!!!

17. Tosin

January 3, 2014 at 2:59 pm

lol. first time I’ve heard of her, and the content/context
    is nicer, more nuanced, than the headline. Plus, she’s speaking the
    truth 😉

18. didi

January 3, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Any woman who saids that is a liar from the pit of hell. I
    have a friend here in usa, makes $400, 000 lives in a huge gigantic
    mansion in the surburbs in atlanta where all the celebrities live,
    she is african, single, 44, no kids, 2 bmws, 2 Mercedes one room
    full of shoes and bags in her 5 bedroom mansion, 1 Mercedes and she
    always saids the same thing, I dont need a man, what can a man do
    for me, I cant do for myself. I feel so sorry for her sometimes cos
    shes living a lie. She always said all men are dogs, meanwhile 20
    yr old boys is who chops her and her money and bounce. I am not
    rich as her, I am single, and each day I prophesy with my mouth I
    am a wife, I am a mother, there are good God fearing Jesus loving
    men out there. I will keep saying until it manifest. I dont wish
    fot my friends life at all. The fact that everytime she beams with
    excitement whenever some one mutual we know is going thru a divorce
    or break up and she will say “See I told u all men were not worth a
    pot to piss in, who wants marriage when they will cheat anyway or
    it will end in divorce anyway” I mean this 2014 shes part of my
    resolution to keep a great distance from her and her negativity.
    Bimbo u are lieing to yourself.

• Ngobeke

January 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Hian! Englishes!

• jcsgrl

January 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Nnee chop plenty kiss…pls Bimbo feel free to come out of
      the closet. We know whats up. Afterall celebs here are doing the
      same. Free yourself babe and stop coating it with this I don’t need
      man rubbish

• Jaydyte

January 3, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Abeg, let Bimbo be. Unlike you, I simply do not think she
      is lying, I guess she has quit waiting for the one that suits her
      taste, unlike some women out there that just marry anything from
      rat to gorrilla just to say they have a husband. There are women
      that have even gone to the length of re-marrying other women’s
      husbands. And my dear didi, I will advice you to relax too on your
      husband search, it is not by force, you cannot twist the arm of God
      to give you anything, even a husband, if it is not yet your time.
      However, I wish you the best on your daily personal prophecies and
      search, try not to get frustrated and act desperate while you are
      at it.

• whocares

January 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Reading and comprehension is important o my sister. She said she does not want a husband, but at the end of the interview, she suggested that she is in a relationship.. na by force to marry? If your daily confessions abi prophesying is to be a wife good for you, goodluck, but that is not hers. she wants to enjoy what she has with her man and live a good life. That is what is important to her, not being wifed. so, how e take be you, that you are calling her a big liar… not all women want to be wives or even mothers. You may find it odd and it may go against the grain of your daily prophesies, but its their life, same way it is your life. live it as you see fit.

• Mama Mia!!!

January 3, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Can you get over yourself? What the hell are you talking about. If she says she doesn’t need a man, who are you to say she does. Look, having a man is not a do or die affair she was setting the record straight for men not to see her as desperate and want her for the wrong reasons. Your friends case is different cause she does have psychological issues if she is dating younger guys. Not everyone is built for marriage it is written in the bible by Paul. Calm down, and focus on your getting married and leave those who don’t wanna alone. The term Liar was so unnecessary…

• Bunmi

January 3, 2014 at 6:16 pm

“Each day I prophesy with my mouth I
      am a wife, I am a mother, there are good God fearing Jesus loving
      men out there. I will keep saying until it manifest. ”

I feel for you & your friend. Your friend is a pessimist & you sound very thirsty. Sometimes, we have to just live our lives, fulfill other purposes God has placed for us & stop reminding God of the same things like he doesn’t know what works best for us. We aren’t limited to being wives & mothers.. There are so many other things to do, be & ask God for. We always say God’s time is the best when we are comforting others but we should practice what we preach. It is nice to be these things that YOU want but NOT every woman wants/needs any of that to feel whole. Live your life, be fulfilled, & your man will come at the right time. Don’t use your friend to judge every woman you clearly do not know. Your friend is sad & is crying out for help.

• Donald-Landon

January 3, 2014 at 7:14 pm

So if someone chooses not to get married: all of a sudden
      you label them a lesbian. What’s up with all this getting married
      by force and fire. What is wrong a lady choosing to stay single.
      It’s a choice and is just as much valid and ok as those choosing to
      get married. No wonder you have young Nigerian women in abusive who
      didn’t want to get married but because society says this is what it
      should be they all follow like herds. The message you are
      practically passing is that a woman is worth nothing until she is a
      Mrs. Is that all a woman is good for : getting married and having
      kids and that’s it. I have said it before that a lot of Nigerian
      women are the enemies of themselves. The thirst to be a Mrs is
      real. No wonder some hardworking single Nigerian women get
      disrespected and treated like crap by their own fellow Married
      Nigerian women. I have seen it happen on several occasions on my
      visit back to Nigeria. It’s quite sad to watch. You can’t impose
      the goals and purpose of your own life on another person. I have a
      daughter and if one day she wakes up and tells me daddy I don’t
      want to get married I would support her 100% because I belief my
      child should live the purpose and goals of her own life and not
      that of her Mum, dad or a total stranger. I will support her just
      like the way I have supported my older sister who has chosen not to
      get married but adopt twins from an orphanage. She has done a
      fantastic job of raising them for the past 9 years. It’s about time
      people get it into their head that Marriage is not for everybody,
      even kids are not for everybody. Live the purpose of your own life
      and let others do the same.

January 4, 2014 at 12:40 am

@Donald PREACH!!

• AA

January 3, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Bimbo and your friend are two different people. Free her abeg.

• NANYA

February 4, 2014 at 12:46 pm

MAY GOD BLESS U COS U TOLD UR SELF D TRUTH @DIDI AND GOD WILL DEFINITELY ANSA UR PROPHECIES AMEN

19. Anon

January 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Story!

20. Jaydyte

January 3, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Bimbo, has class and if that calibre of man she wants is
    still no where to be seen. Baby girl has made up her mind to be
    single, the other unwanted rats should take the back seat. The
    princess knows what she wants, it is either “him” or none, babe has
    made up her mind to enjoy singlehood if they never cross paths.
    Anyone has a problem with that?

21. Dr. N

January 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Haha, Didi! What do u expect of your 44 year old friend?
    Are u willing for your brother to marry her? I think B is honest. I
    like her. She’ll probably marry if the guy is right. Methinks this
    was to scare off the gold diggers. You don’t know what these
    “celebrities” go through. People think they have millions cause of
    their movie characters. Lol. http://www.drnsmusings.wordpress.com

22. kemmy

January 3, 2014 at 5:42 pm

@didi your wants do not mirror the wan ts of every woman,women like u are d reason we have women with low self esteem that believe without a man they are nothing.you have a rich friend that guys in their 20s chop so ………………………….

23. didi

January 3, 2014 at 6:11 pm

MRS “I DONT N-E-E-D”
    Lies lies lies
    Na wa for you and all the other liars agreeing to this statement what i call “defense mechanism nonsense. “. Everybody in this world needs somebody, sometime. She coulda simply said, its not her focus at this moment in time but in near future if God permits and saids its her time then why not, but dont go around saying I DONT NEEEEEEEEEEEEED A HUSBAND. You coulda phrased that statement differently cos u need more ppl for any one to believe u.

• whocares

January 3, 2014 at 8:01 pm

do you know what need means? a need is almost a necessity, something that is essential, that you cannot almost do without… I dont think a husband is a need.. it is a want. you want a husband, without him you will not die, or crumble.. so she is quite right to say she does not need a man… she might want one some day who knows.. but for now she says she is happy with herself and does not need anyone.. she might want them, but she doesnt need them to complete her.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=need+meaning&oq=need+meaning&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1666j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8 .. just to buttress my point.

• Mama Mia!!!

January 3, 2014 at 10:55 pm

WOO, this woman I will keep replying you until you get it right. Need or not, leave her alone. Focus on your life and your achievement of ”needing” a man. So, you need a man when you have God? please, just park well biko. Plus, we all need people, food, water and air not a Man!!! Your point is bland and void…

January 4, 2014 at 12:47 am

@Didi Olodo!!!That’s how people fail exam!

24. NNENNE

January 3, 2014 at 8:36 pm

One of Naija’s best. Where has she been?

25. Tru

January 3, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Bims, you rock. xoxo

26. Angel

January 3, 2014 at 10:27 pm

@ didi u need to chill abeg, what if ur friend has searched for love all this years and for some reason it didn’t happen, so what do u want her to do? Kill her self or be miserable for the rest of her life? Even I ll advice u to live ur life, fine pray for mr right to come but don’t sit around waiting as if your whole life depends on marriage.
    One thing we african women need to understand is that times are changing, so many factors now make less men available for marriage. example are socio economic issues, monogamous marriage unlike old times when polygamy flourished and recently sexual preferences (homosexuality) to mention but few….. Reason why we need to hold unto our cultural values and not continue to imitate the western world…
    So my dear live your life

27. Leila

January 4, 2014 at 1:00 am

Ladies!!!! Did u Guyz notice her choice of word NEED.She WANTS a Husband but does not NEED one to complete or validate her, there is a huge difference . One should never need a Man or Husband it is desperation, love yourself and the Husband you WANT will come. Shikena

28. Grace

January 4, 2014 at 2:16 am

There is a reason every person is alive at every specific generation on earth.
    A simple illustration is
    people send their children to school.
    but when the child leaves for school the house is peaceful and less of noise.
    when the child goes to school he meets people and mixes up and make new friends
    but the actual reason his parents sent him to school is to be educated and have a good future but while attending school he leaves the house and makes friends while doing so.
    So likewise there is a reason each person has a reason to be alive right from the generation of the old days to now every person has a part to play but not everyone knows the reason they are alive.
    while being alive yes we can get married have kids, have a good life, job and all the good things of life but they are not the reason God created you as a person.
    so people should be careful on the importance they attach to issues that do not make the sole importance of our being on earth. Because no one will use their marriage certificate to enter heaven or as evidence of not fulfilling the great commission.
    Marriage was created by God, it is important but it is overly hyped by especially Nigerians.

• ANNE

January 31, 2014 at 10:38 am

You absolutely correct grace.

29. Donthavetimeforrubbish.

January 4, 2014 at 2:38 am

Isn’t this chic over 40 yet? Anyway, maybe she thinks she doesn’t need a husband but I can bet you that that someone or some “thing” is fulfilling the need

30. ADEDEJI Kehinde

January 4, 2014 at 6:33 am

Bimbo has been rocking this industry since I’ve been a child…Now I’m a married man with kids and she’s still rocking the industry without a home….if she’s not interested in any man…let her at least give birth to one or better still, let her adopt

31. Yipee

January 4, 2014 at 11:59 am

No one needs a spouse o African women, Didi take note. Widows unko, does life not go on for them after their husbands are gone? Women that run from abusive marriages or adultery fests? Live your life and if it is God’s will for you, you will get married. Do not end up outside His will due to your desperation. I am a married and it is because I have a healthy balance in life that my marriage thrives (and by His grace of course), do not become one of those women that their husbands can’t wait to get away from because you make him your all in all. I hope you spend time praying for the expansion of His kingdom and interceding on behalf of those that have big problems. I hope as you prophesy to be a wife and mother, you are building yourself up mentally, financially and spiritually.

32. Yipee

January 4, 2014 at 12:00 pm

*I am married (forgive error)

33. Yipee

January 4, 2014 at 12:00 pm

*I am…not I am a(forgive the error please)

34. Pade

January 4, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Every woman desires companion for Bimbo maybe not with a man,probably with a diddo,bottle of beer or wine,cigarettes among other things. Babe God will answer your prayer keep prophesying it shall come to pass. Ladies lets make hay while the sun shines.

35. BC

January 4, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Nse Ikpe Etim was saying the same thing just a few years ago….and then did a 360 when she got married finally…so Bimbo I don’t believe you. That u really “dont need” a man. God made them for a reason you know? *wink*

36. aisha musa

November 7, 2014 at 2:53 pm

bimbo u are my role model and I like d way u talk and ur mode of dressing