News

Hear Maje Ayida’s Side of the Story…Sort Of! Media Personality Toke Makinwa’s Ex Gives Exclusive Interview to ThisDay

BellaNaija.com

BN-Exclusive-Diesel-Stoe-Launch-September-2013-BellaNaija-042
Their relationship is among the most discussed relationships in the Nigerian blogosphere.
After media personality Toke Makinwa confirmed her breakup from her longtime love/fiance Maje Ayida in an interview with Punch Newspaper in December 2013, many have been hankering for Maje’s side of the story. Azuka Ogujuiba of ThisDay got the scoop!

In the Saturday 4th January 2014 edition of ThisDay Newspaper, 41 Year Old ex-banker turned “Lord of the Fitness World” Maje shared details on his family, business and more.

The interviewer also pressed Maje on the trending topic – his relationship with Toke. Here is what he had to say;

You seem quiet but your publicised relationship via social media and blogs just hit the rocks after 12 years. How did you handle a relationship for that long and what happened?
I don’t think relationships are things you handle or manage. Relationships are part of your life. They are part of who you are and probably the most complex thing in the world.

Earlier this year, you did the first part of traditional introduction to your ex’s family. What exactly went wrong after that?
Wrong? I don’t think I got that memo, and if that memo got circulated, I can’t discuss it here. Everything about our lives here is a journey; a journey that I’m just glad to be on.

You guys have been on and off for 12 years. Do you see yourself going back to her considering all your tweets about your ex not focusing on your relationship rather attending events and making appearances as she claims in blogs?
I write a lot of stuff on social media. Some about me, some about life, maybe something I saw, maybe someone else’s experience, maybe my mood at the time. The idea is that someone somewhere may be feeling that same thing. Sort of like the comfort you get on knowing that you’re not alone when you hear a song that speaks what you feel. One thing I will say just as a general life tip, ‘don’t make permanent decisions based on temporary feelings.’ (not my words).

Who is your kind of woman or are you one of those who love to date women in the limelight?
I’m like the United Nations. I have love for everyone. I feel anyone that says they would only date a particular type of person is limiting themselves from the beauty that is the human soul. It can take a lifetime to truly know someone; we are continually evolving. Two people together grow together and transform one another, just as experiences in life transform the individual. In other words, no, I’m not after women in the limelight.

You can read the complete interview HERE via ThisDay Online

1. Dolapo

January 4, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Single handedly the most annoying interview I’ve ever read. Wtf? Where’s his side of the story? Maje, if you didn’t want to be interviewed you could have just declined rather than come here and spew diplomatic trash. Maybe this why you never got the relationship right because you don’t know how to answer questions. Seems like y’all are back together already.

2. Mide

January 4, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Mumu!

3. Fibonacci

January 4, 2014 at 4:45 pm

They are still dating…..heard it from a very very very reliable source. All these ones na drama. They are getting married this year sef.

• Smmy

January 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

i won’t be surprise.

4. Blacbeauty

January 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Dat one concern dm

5. Pade

January 4, 2014 at 4:52 pm

He did not say much,doesn’t strike me as an intelligent person. Toksssss baby move on this 42yr old lack intelligence Jare.

• Leah

January 4, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Of course he sounds unintelligent to you because he would rather promote and talk about his business than yab about woman this, woman that, how to find a woman, relationship, this and that. Or make up stories and lies about a fake engagement and wedding. He is a grown man, and usually mature people deal with their mess in private as opposed interviews and videos. Btw, only the intelligent deserve the intelligent.

• Smmy

January 4, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Its like you read my mind. People want to call him unintelligent cos he’s not giving them what they want, and i’m sure if he did they will be the 1st to say he his not man enough and talks like a woman. people concentrate on the wrong things.

• Ubaby

January 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm

OK…at first i thought that he was being a lot diplomatic with the responses, bt wen i read ur comment, i now get it. He is after all a real man for not drying out his laundry for the world to see in full light. So yea…kudo’s Maje..Love u 4 ur responses

• Busarni

January 5, 2014 at 8:04 am

@leah: don’t mind them, they just what to know every thing about peoples private lives while they keep their own private. The fellow that asked that razz question should start his/her own reality show. At least there is YouTube. Folks this is 2014, learn how to respect people’s choices and opinion. Na wah

• looters

January 10, 2014 at 2:16 am

I would have agreed with you entirely but you derailed to bashing Toke who unlike him has never said one negative thing about him on the internet.

6. DJ STELCH

January 4, 2014 at 4:55 pm

He’s been Diplomatic in his answers, i love that… Life Goes On Brov!!

• Just saying...

January 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Makes two of us,
      l love his answers. He’s not petty

• whocares

January 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm

He is isnt he? It is the mature thing to do, but I wont lie its killing the part of me that wanted to sink my teeth in the gossip *sigh*

7. Cat on a hot tin roof

January 4, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Chief evader! The journalist was well and truly had.

• Uwa

January 4, 2014 at 6:12 pm

This is not diplomacy. Gosh! Really annoying interview
      Is he a philosopher of some sort? Mschewwww

• anonymous

January 4, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Onye asili @this is not diplomacy. What do you all want to hear? U want to hear him sobbing like Kris Humphries and calling Toke names. Whether U want to believe what u read or not, the guy is intelligent and answered the questions like a real man.

8. Yetunde

January 4, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Maje is 41years old???? wow!!

9. Chic

January 4, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Maje is like the United Nations lol abeg let me connect you with that my quarter Japanese quarter Indian quarter Nigerian quarter French very very hot cousin hahahaha!

10. Angry immigrant

January 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

You are freaking joking!!! Maje is 41??? Seriously?!

11. Yeni

January 4, 2014 at 5:03 pm

He did not say anything. He was twisting the interviewer. No direct response to all the questions.

12. Iris

January 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm

LMAO “…Are you one of those who love to date women in the limelight?” Even if he was, would he be foolish enough to admit it publicly? Every time I read an interview from a Nigerian publication there’s at least one question that makes me go “WTH”

• Joy

January 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Lol…wat a way of answering questions . Can’t still get his own side of the story.

13. Anuoluwapo Adesakin

January 4, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Most annoying interview he read so far! He shouldn’t he granted the interview then. We will wait aha.

14. Memiee

January 4, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I just wasted my time reading this!!!!
    The guy doesn’t strike me as an intelligent person…. Old papa youngiee
    Shame!!!

• Chigbo

January 4, 2014 at 8:49 pm

The way he said a lot without actually saying anything is enough evidence of intelligence…….lol. Free the guy abeg

• Busarni

January 5, 2014 at 8:09 am

@ Memiee whatever; you are the unintelligent person here. You just shot yourself. Mumu of Life;

15. Naomi

January 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I kinda like his response. Very elusive, as it should be. Relationships are complicated. Pple should just mind there business.

16. Que

January 4, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Why r we attacking him? I don’t see whats wrong with what he said, he’s not d first person to side-step unnecessary questions…really how does their acclaimed failed relationship benefit you? Seems to me (from actually reading d full piece) that he wanted to promote his work not rship failure, n he did that…. I don’t see d problem… n how someone above managed to deduce his lack of intelligence from this cut out is just wowing! People need to just chill. In related news he looks younger than 41, certainly luks younger than a few 37yr olds I know or maybe I’m not good at guaging age well.. I wish him well abeg, every mallam with im kettle!

17. kunle

January 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Well am not xpectin an direct answer from these 41yrs old dude, It’s difficult to give direct answer in relatioship matter because really it’s sometime difficult to close the book when both have spend that much time 12yrs together but anyway both of them should STOP put their relationship in public. Shikane.

• Anon

January 4, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Since when did “an” go with consonant “d?” New things everyday with this great language.

I won’t bother with the others.

• nene

January 9, 2014 at 9:33 pm

lol

18. mama mia!!!

January 4, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Yep, true! I learnt they are still dating as well. My source ain’t reliable sha…

19. D'Mamma

January 4, 2014 at 6:26 pm

This guy is a ‘manager’. He ended up saying NOTHING!

20. babygiwa

January 4, 2014 at 6:31 pm

He did not answer Azuka’s questions. LOL

21. mrs chidukane

January 4, 2014 at 6:36 pm

@Iris,in other words are you like Lanre Nzeribe?lololol

22. tinnu1429

January 4, 2014 at 6:36 pm

He does not date someone. In the Limeligth! He is afraid of Tokes success. Shame on him abeg!!

• yinka

January 4, 2014 at 9:37 pm

jesus!!! plz how did you come up wit dat? na wa o!!!

23. Endo

January 4, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Very diplomatic!

24. Chic

January 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Why are people surprised that Maje is 41 dude is a fitness buff for crying out loud. Have you all not seen Will Smith, LL Cool J, Morris Chestnut, Blair Underwood, Shemar Moore, Taye Diggs and co lately those dudes are between 40 and 45 and look 30 something. Keeping it toned and tight is the way to go these days 40 is the new 30.

25. Deeblinky

January 4, 2014 at 6:51 pm

At 41 Broda is still bn diplomatic in his responses wen questioned about a 12year relationship. Smh* the two of dem av issues beyond our own comprehension

26. Jidenowo

January 4, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Wether they are truly broken up or still doing corner corner dating in the dark, the truth is this relationship is a shitty and humilating one and it is never going to last. The sooner Toke moves on the better. Even if she successfully forces maje to marry her, can she force him to stay married to her? The answer is no. What a circus these two have become.

• Smmy

January 4, 2014 at 9:34 pm

my dear, why re you and others on Toke’s side? how re you so sure she is not the one messing up? i would really like to know, cos far as i know we all dont know them on a personal level. der 4 we don’t really know whats going on. becos he’s 41 and not married doesn’t make him irresponsible

27. Mrs 2014

January 4, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I dey find husband oh but fear go catch me to marry 41 year old bachelor. Bad character go so plenty

• Non professional opinion

January 5, 2014 at 8:01 am

It will be better for you. I tell my single friends that while there may be a few (very few) exceptions to the rule, a never married 40 year old man is defective on some or several levels. Maje the brokedown Buddha , is a prime example of this.

28. Truth be told

January 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm

It sounds to me like they’re still dating but they he doesn’t want it public anymore

29. Anon

January 4, 2014 at 8:52 pm

You have to be quite dim to say he comes across as unintelligent. Leah and Que; spot on.

If he had blabbed you would have said “for a man he talks too much.”

30. Chigbo

January 4, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I think if you re in the public eye, keep your private life private. It helps if/when you break up. And it’s really none of our business. The couple do not owe us any explanation.

31. Estelle

January 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

All he said in a nutshell means forget what I tweeted when I was angry cos I made a harsh decision based on my temporary anger now we are back and want to keep it that way that’s d memo and we r sticking to it.He’s handsome and doesn’t kiss and tell me love him.

32. pynk

January 4, 2014 at 9:35 pm

He is still with Toke!

33. odiri

January 4, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Most people read this article cus you were waiting for him to talk ill of his girlfriend for 12 years? Then those of you who described him as unintelligent are actually stupid and immature. Pls leave the guy alone if you are looking for stories then spill your own.

34. mary

January 4, 2014 at 10:28 pm

i don’t see anything wrong with the way he granted the interview, he is matured and answered in a diplomatic way, and yes that’s how it should be, everybody is waiting to hear him speak on how his relationship failed, who does that? and then before you know it, pple will tag him “childish” who kisses and tells like they did to Inyanya, things like that are very sensitive and should not be discussed openly considering the fact that they re both in the public eyes.

35. zibaintl

January 4, 2014 at 10:38 pm

y some pple de vex for persn private life matter..wat benefit is it you, if u he tells u how he makes love to toke…..I love his response.

36. Merciful1

January 5, 2014 at 12:18 am

Handsome, hit the alter with your beautiful bride then, what is holding you back? With that being said, you both should agree on what you must let the public know about your relationship. Wish you God’s blessings and HML cos I know it will be so.

37. 'Midé

January 5, 2014 at 1:27 am

Enemies, you don reach here?

38. Cool cat

January 5, 2014 at 2:34 am

Did people expect him to come out crying and wailing, or on the other hand dissing toke about how fake she is as regards his own account of the break up? Is he dbanj? This is a very mature man, maybe with commitment issues but it takes a lot of balls to just let things go. I doubt people read this interview, I can’t believe people will say he is not intelligent and it’s even worse it’s coming from women. You like a man who only wants skinny girls, or kosher girls or team light skin and not a man who is more interested in the beauty of the human soul in general. Sounds to me like a real man. If your bf doesn’t think like this then I’m sorry for you

39. Omalicha

January 5, 2014 at 3:28 am

Most annoying and attention hoarding couple. People are saying that they were together this NYE and are still very much together. Is this whole drama for publicity or what? Toke should biko just go awol for a while and get her life together. She will soon put up video tomorrow now talking about people who wont mind their business, meanwhile she announces every bit of her relationship/life to the world. Mystery is so attractive! Ask the likes of Beyonce, Genevieve, rita dominic etc….they know when to show their faces and know what to share and not share with the public! Jeez, i never see pesin wey enjoy their wigs being dragged across the continent like this.

40. Bunmi

January 5, 2014 at 4:30 am

This darkness and daylight couple again. I only care about him leaving his house without a gym bra.

41. omada

January 5, 2014 at 8:51 am

‘Lord of the fitness world’? *coughs* On the bright side, he really looks younger than 41.

42. Modella

January 5, 2014 at 11:03 am

He look 33 ..I’m surprised at his age actually..I couldn’t help but noticed how Toke hide her knuckles again

43. Lin

January 5, 2014 at 1:37 pm

good bod. pls walk down the aisle with ur bride, u look great 2geda lol

lynndablogs.blogspot.com

44. Jidenowo

January 5, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Oshi o daa. Nothing that will end well starts as messy as this mess called Toke and Maje. This drama and public humiliation is not a requirement for a happy ending

45. Agbeke

January 5, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Can people stop looking for gist and just focus on their own issues. Why can’t you just read the damn interview and move on must we slag off other people? How does this interview make Maje unintelligent Biko? Whether they’re together or not whether you hear his side or not how does that put food on your tables? Smh

46. Stephanie

January 6, 2014 at 5:05 am

I hope they get back together and marry sha
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

47. What da?

January 7, 2014 at 1:30 am

I actually love his response. I will like to hang out with this bruh over beer I am sure he will be really funny. He is a thinker like me from his response. He checked and put the interviewer in place. lol Love it

48. Jaydyte

January 7, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I actually like this guy, no time for foolishness and pity party, life goes on. Besides, I love, love, love the quote he gave, ‘don’t make permanent decisions based on temporary feelings.’ Now, that’s a hunk. How did he manage to hang unto “air-head” Toke all this years? Jus’ saying. Abeg, but to date a girl for 12yrs? Dude, that ain’t right though. Na, is she going to wait for you forever? You should’ve let the bird fly a long time ago if you were not sure of what you want.

49. Olutade

January 8, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I cannot believe what am reading here. some ladies here are just ……..can u imagine one tinnu1429 saying the guy is afraid of Toke’s success …. to others he is not intelligent because he is not doing name calling or throwing blames. Am like are these the same set of women we men want to marry and put there genes in our kids ?

50. nene

January 9, 2014 at 9:34 pm

lol…gbam

51. K

January 15, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Lolllll… one has to love bella naija on a Weds afternoon, while sipping a cuppa with not much going on at work. I just had to comment (my first by the way).
    Ok, so I was interested in the gossip, hence y I clicked on this one. But WTH, the interview was a freaking joke! The guy is obviously intelligent, cos he’s smart enough to choose his words nicely and precisely, however, in my opinion he might as well have remained silent. This is pure torture to read. Truth be told, they probably haven’t really broken up. I haven’t read any story about him cheating or having a new baby by another woman so pleaseeeeee! If they did break up, its only a phase. They are obviously still inlove with each other, and Toke is always advising on keeping your man blah blah, so she’ll be stupid to let hers go… I reckon its all a publicity stunt.
    On a lighter note though, some of the comments here are ludicrously hilarious.. I can’t. Olutade cant believe he has to put the genes on some of these women in his kidsss. buhahahahahahahahaha. I really cant.