Music

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde: “My Motivation for Singing is Inspired by being an Activist for Africa”

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde - Afrian Voices - December 2013 - BellaNaija 01

As BellaNaija.com reported in December 2013, Nollywood superstar Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde sat down for an exclusive interview on CNN African Voices. In case you missed it, click here

The actress who was called the “Queen of Nollywood” by Stella Magazine, speaks to CNN correspondent Vladimir Duthiers about her upbringing, career achievements, passion for activism and future plans.

Just before the interview airs, we are presented with a quote;

“I’ve reached a point in my life where I’ve realised I have to leave something. I have to have a legacy. I decided I will be an activist for Africa. My experience with the UN and other humanitarian organisations inspired me to want to speak out and say more and there’s so much you can just say with words. This was my motivation for singing.”

Catch the interview this Friday 10th January 2014 by 08:30 AM.

1. Roselyn

January 9, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Wow Omotola , God bless this babe. Totally in a class of her own. Congrats . She looks good. Her second album I loved feel alright don’t know if its released but who can forget Gba.
    Love love love Omotola. Amazing beauty.

• Soty

January 10, 2014 at 11:50 am

Lousy PR effort. So see thru. And of cos ur a one string banjo with your fake near orgasmic excitement. You guys ain’t fooling anybody this year.

2. whocares No 1

January 9, 2014 at 5:36 pm

lmaoooooooo. 2014 my year of laughter..

• camo

January 10, 2014 at 7:58 am

Loooooooool! thats actually my Church theme this year. It is well

3. nene

January 9, 2014 at 6:09 pm

what a way to start 2014. omotola reminds me of that saying “empty vessels make the loudest noise”. sing for what again? your voice is horrible, take singing lessons and come back woman.

• Leah

January 9, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Except that she is NOT and empty vessel and does not make noise. She is beautiful, extremely talented, and handles herself very well in an industry full of actual empty vessels. The attention she gets is well deserved and not noise. I do agree with you that she is NOT a good singer, but lets get it right Omotola is NOT an empty vessel, not even close.

4. Aibee

January 9, 2014 at 6:13 pm

ROTFL! Her “singing” was inspired by her being an Activist for Africa? If I hear. People just be washing themselves with Surf and Ose Dudu.

5. Hian

January 9, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Omotola is an “Activist for Africa”?? Please what ‘Activities’ has she been involved in? #SeriousQuestion

As for her singing…LOL!! “2014 my year of laughter” indeed

• Bukky

January 9, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Google is free! Smh!

6. chichi

January 9, 2014 at 6:21 pm

looool..Honestly, i cant…@ whocares, been laughing my head off this morning too…Omotola, lies you tell girl…your motivation for singing is inspired by greed!!!.#dazall..These celebs just love saying “all the right things” and don’t care if they are making any sense or is it beyonce’s “i was here” that got yall talking gibberish??..Is it that atrocity called “feel alright” or is it “missing you” that you want to use to be an activist for Africa??..Omotola, i love you and i think you are an amazing actress AND humanitarian but stop trying to connect stupid dots..Your songs (the ones i’ve heard) aren’t exactly inspiring…You can still use your voice to inspire Africans. You don’t have to sing. But if you must, cos im not one to tell ppl they cant achieve their goals, then please im begging you, INVEST in your singing career…
    With love,
    chichi.

7. Leah

January 9, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I love love Omotola. Beauty, talent and class. Her and Genevieve are two of my faourites and I wish they both would go back to making. Not everyone who sings is a singer and Omotola is definitely NOT a singer.

• Hope

January 9, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Agree with this, well except the Genevieve part. I dont really see how any serious person can refer to Omotola as a singer/musician but whatever rocks her boat.

8. Bukky

January 9, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Before all the Haters and non achievers start coming to line up as usual to take numbers, let me register with forward looking people Abeg.
    Omotola is not only an Activist for Africa she is an activist on the world stage! I’m a major fan (lol at major) and I follow every step of hers. She is the only African artiste I know that has campaigned for save the children in the UK! When most of us were busy chasing whatever she became a UN ambassador for World food programme! Do you people just love to hate on good things? Haba! About the singing so? Her first album was a success! Even though she hasn’t pushed her music career as much, I know and know many who know and listen to religiously, the few songs she’s brought out! Naija lowa, feel alright, missing you, Honeyboy etc… And if her motivation for music was activism you doubt this because? The one saying greed how sad for you! Omotola looks like someone who is looking for money from music? Sic!
    Abeg let me go and put record on that time! Friday 8:30 am , it’s on!

• Hope

January 9, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Not sure if her 1st album was a success..How are you so sure yourself? And out of the song you listed the only one MIGHT possibly register in people’s mind is Naija Lowa and thats at a stretch.

• whocares

January 9, 2014 at 7:31 pm

We laugh because it is not true. I love Omotola too and if it came to a team Omotola or Genevieve war, I will be camping on the Omotola side and waving my bra on a stick. That said, her motivation for singing was not INITIALLY inspired by any activism. No one has denied her humanitarian efforts, Chichi certainly did not do that, neither did I, but let us put on our objective caps.. in what way is “gba” , “feel alright” and the songs in her first album inspired by activism? If you think it , then your idea of activism for Africa especially in the sense she has described it (Humanitarian work, and not a means of showcasing African arts which I would have believed if that is what she said)

However, if you want to tell me that she has released other songs (no, one song will not do because a HUGE statement like that demands full evidence) that portrays this activism and motivation, then by all means feel free to correct us. Till then, we will keep on laughing.

• whocares

January 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm

*mistakes* If you think it is, then your idea of activism for Africa especially in the sense she has described it (Humanitarian work, and not a means of showcasing African arts which I would have believed if that is what she said) is different from mine.

• pearl

January 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm

So Constructive criticism is now known as ”hating”.. ..Yes..she’s a good actress!!.Most people stated how much they love her, that she should work on her music career [ take singing lessons]…which is true……Saying the truth is a sign of love and not hate…….We can only grow as as individuals and a nation..when we all learn to correct with love

• Leila

January 9, 2014 at 9:38 pm

How SAD

• Just being Honest

January 10, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I liked naija lowa and honey boy too..although i was the only one in my family that liked honey boy, my baby sis almost spoilt my phone one time it was playing just to try and stop the song..Lousy voice or not i still have mad love for omotola 🙂

9. emmanuela

January 9, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Go girl. As for hating continue,cos in sure your voices are even inferior to FROGS!!!

10. Sopono

January 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm

This girl is such air head. All these little lies are embarrassing

• Idak

January 9, 2014 at 8:29 pm

One day you’ll be lynched online. You do not know the forces you are up against. These people do not show mercy and telling the truth is alien to them. Better leave then and their ‘activist for africa’.
      Better retract your comment.

• Sharpie

January 10, 2014 at 4:11 am

Which forces? A bunch of people she pays to get online and defend her? Abeg my dear above say what u want to say. Those are white hot lies and we know it. She thinks music will get her the worldwide fame she wants quicker, and that my people is the only reason she wants to sing.

• Bukky

January 9, 2014 at 8:34 pm

If your defination of air head is someone whose on same list as Obama, Kate Middleton , beyonce, heck… Stephen SPILBERG? Lol… Your own head as a very unknown one must be STILL ! Can’t deal… Waving my weave to hopefully become a world class air head.

• Laide

January 10, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Lmaoo..luv that.

11. Tee

January 9, 2014 at 7:49 pm

This reminds me of the song genevieve sang some 7yrs ago,shake your ikebe or something ridiculous like that,Omotola I love you but being an activist and singing love songs does not connect in any way.For the haters that think its greed I bet you haven’t come across a pilot in your lifetime much more a captain with more than 10yrs experience,pls call aero and find out the going rate.she’s not like others that sleep with naija artist to buy designer bags and show off on instagram,especially when we know they are the bread winner in their family with no movie in a year.

• chichi

January 9, 2014 at 10:31 pm

lol…The post was on omotola but no oh, it reminds you of a song Genevieve sang 7yrs ago..*blank stare*..you aint slick..If you must shade, then learn how to do it properly…Please dont turn this into a Gene vs omotola debate. Aint nobody got time for such nonsense…Back to the matter @ hand. @ bukky said “how sad for you”..lol..thanks [email protected], please dear, i havent even come across a flight attendant let alone the almighty captain…So pls SCHOOL me!!!..i love how ppl equate greed to poverty. Nne, you can be as rich as dangote and still be greedy got it..If you dont understand why i said it is greed, then i’ll break it down for you…Omotola and her singing career can be likened to a lawyer who learns that Doctors also make a lot of money. Now with zero credentials, a white coat and a stethoscope around her neck walks into the human resources department of a hospital claiming to be a doctor because she is so passionate about saving lives when its really all about the money and killing someone in the process…We all know what would happen next..So i blame the music industry/producers for opening the doors of a studio to every dick and harry. If you must sing, go through training first before you start looking for who to inspire…It is obvious that there is more money in the music industry than in the movie industry in 9ja and just like gene, jim and co, omotola wanted her share. So please let us stop acting like she is above it all..Her husband is a captain..Umm, so bloody what?? Chick just tried music to make some cash not because she cares about inspiring anybody. I may be a fan but i am not stupid. @whocares, thanks jare..

• kilipot

January 9, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Bless you.

12. Gabrielle

January 9, 2014 at 8:22 pm

omotola is a very good actress not an artist, even the frst abulm u said that she vomit! So she beta go back to nollywood.

13. ugochi

January 9, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Ride on OMOSEXY,dat reminds me, has MERCY JOHNSON celebrate PURITy’s birthday party?

14. LoL

January 9, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Hehehe. If it’s not mrs ‘Imustbelikebeyoncebyfirebyforce’.

15. splendourduddi

January 10, 2014 at 1:33 am

Bukky definitely works for omotola’s PR, or sumfin. Omotola shld go and sit one place abeg, activist my ass! She is pretty and a wonderful actress, BT singing??? Hell to d No!

• Bukky

January 10, 2014 at 7:26 pm

You really have some nerve to come online to accuse someone you don’t know like who are you? Next time pls borrow a brain if its this necessary. My advice to you, go and sit in one place. I’m a PROUD Omotola fan. At least I’m on the winning side. I’m sure you don’t ven know the meaning f activism. Mgekes coming online to acquire personalities…. GTFOH!

16. Maria

January 10, 2014 at 4:45 am

The PR post from Roselyn tho. I no fit shout. Activist inspired music indeed! She is no longer Nigeria’s Beyonce abi? Park the heck well

17. Lizziee

January 10, 2014 at 5:44 am

She has recorded some songs as an activist/musician, one of them was the theme song for some maternal mortality campaign in Africa for UN.
    A little research won’t hurt instead of calling someone out as a liar. I think that is unfair.

18. karim

January 10, 2014 at 8:09 am

Singing? What are you? Csnt you just stick to acting? Jesss

19. YEYEAREWA

January 10, 2014 at 8:11 am

ABEG! ABEG!! ABEG!!! OMOTOLA SHOULD NOT ATTEMPT 2 SING AGAIN BIKO! I HAVE HAD ENUF IN TIMES PAST. SHE HAD BETTER TOW D LINE OF AUNTY GENEVIEVE. AFTER D 1ST ATTEMPT, SHE DIDNT TRY IT AGAIN. WHICH WAS A SMART MOVE IN MY OPINION. OMOTOLA SHOULD BE BANNED FROM ANY STUDIO #KABISH

20. mama mia!!!

January 10, 2014 at 9:18 am

This is so funny, while I love the woman Omosexy has become I honee5ly have had problems with her movie choices over the years. That Rihanna movie and the celebrity were just awful movies. Thank God she turned it around with Ije and its likes. If we talking music, even Genevive’s Move was a better activist song cause it talked about domestic violence both of them should stay off singing and concentrate on their movie choices as Beyonce should stay off movies. Sometimes putting your eggs in one basket means you know your talent…

21. Chum chum

January 10, 2014 at 9:26 am

Kai Omotolaaaaa shame don catch me for you. Enough already..

22. Mariaah

January 10, 2014 at 10:37 am

I am just here trying to wrap my head round the fact that the headline says her singing was inspired by being an activist. Its mind boggling! How are both things related maka Chukwu.

Dear Omotola We (your fans) love you; yes I am a fan but this has got to stop! Stop trying to delude us with these statements you make. Kindly stop! How does songs with even titles like gba, “feel alright or is it “missing you” that has to do with ACTIVISM!

Lemme remind you pple of gba “Gba!! Its another party!! Gba we gon gerrit” Gerrit as in getting people saved of hunger baa??

Infact I blame her PR goons. Shebi if they have sense they will make it sound like she donated 90% of profits from album sales, shows to charity. Then her statement can be “I use my music as an avenue to help the less privileged”

23. big mama

January 10, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Omotola good actress but a singer no….and her singing definitely aint inspired by any activism…..i know a lot of artists who are multi talented and definitely aint nothing wrong with that…like for me I do some acting, sing and i write, however going commercial with all your talents is another cup of tea cos you have to get it right….she can sing for her documentaries of whatever activist bla bla she has but to sing and expect her records to sell well commercially dont think so…..