News

Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin Separate After 10 Years of Marriage

BellaNaija.com

Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin - March 2014  - BellaNaijaGwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin have SPLIT!

The Academy Award winning actress and the Coldplay front man  announced the separation on  Tuesday 25th March 2014 via Gwyneth’s GOOP website.

“It is with hearts full of sadness that we have decided to separate,” the couple who are parents to 9 year old Apple and 7 year old Moses, revealed in a post titled – Conscious Uncoupling.

Gwyneth, 41, and 37-year old Chris have faced rumours of separation for years,

“We have been working hard for well over a year, some of it together, some of it separated, to see what might have been possible between us, and we have come to the conclusion that while we love each other very much we will remain separate. We are, however, and always will be a family, and in many ways we are closer than we have ever been. We are parents first and foremost, to two incredibly wonderful children and we ask for their and our space and privacy to be respected at this difficult time. We have always conducted our relationship privately, and we hope that as we consciously uncouple and coparent, we will be able to continue in the same manner.

Love,
Gwyneth & Chris”, they said.

Photo Credit: People.com

1. Linda

March 26, 2014 at 9:22 am

Hmmmmm!God help us.Things of the heart are delicate.

2. Fashionista

March 26, 2014 at 9:32 am

Not that anything that happens in Hollywood surprises me , but this one is painful. I really like them individually and as a couple. wish both of them well.

3. i no send

March 26, 2014 at 9:37 am

na wa for these celebs

4. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 26, 2014 at 9:39 am

Beht why?

5. Gogirl

March 26, 2014 at 9:45 am

Why did she have to say their hearts were full of sadness*rme*?We alone have the power to decide what makes us happy. They have decided to take their ‘happiness’ away and are moaning? I laugh in spanish. As Majid once said, as a couple you fall out of love with each other once in a while but marriage is the glue that makes you fall in love with each other many times over. Oh well…..

6. Sylvonce

March 26, 2014 at 10:03 am

Oyibo marriage no b am. Odiegwu.com!

7. whocares

March 26, 2014 at 10:15 am

*sobs* I loved them, Chris so awkward and quirky and she the screen goddess.. I am sorry they split up…now awaiting post divorce Coldplay album.. It should be awesome!! (rebirth from pain and all that jazz.)

8. Anon

March 26, 2014 at 10:24 am

I’m surprised they lasted this long. They looked disconnected when they were seen together and his band mates never really took to her.

9. Charlotte Brown

March 26, 2014 at 10:35 am

Chris Martin is on the market!! *jubilant roll*

• Bella

March 26, 2014 at 11:06 am

killed. I share your sentiments though. I see a handsome young talented and gentle soul FREE at last.

• Angel

March 26, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for this comment, couldn’t have said it better myself, as for somebody (who cares) saying Gwyneth is a screen goddess, pleeeese what planet are u on? she’s average as per her acting plus she’s not even good looking at all besides something about her simply irritates the heck out of me, God forgive my feelings though…

10. iyke

March 26, 2014 at 10:40 am

It’s a no brainer that the consertive institution of marriage and liberalism doesn’t co-exist.Shame that couple who so much professed love and affection earlier, now has reasons to stay apart. This again points to my conviction that the soul mate notion is a myth as people are constantly changing. Time to redefine the concept of marriage and the framework on which it will work.

• whocares

March 26, 2014 at 11:13 am

Ooh I agree with you about “soul mates”. My friend told me last week that he was looking for “the one”. I told him there is no “one”, just good people you can potentially carve a life with. The amount of times people have walked away from good, decent people because they weren’t “the one”…
      @Ninjachic.. They made it 10 years!!! This is not a matter of Westerners valuing marriage or anything, it simply wasn’t working anymore. Their decision to call it off was certainly not a whim, it cant be, not after 10 years of marriage, and however number of years of dating (not too sure about this bit actually. lol)

11. Ninjachic

March 26, 2014 at 10:42 am

Not surprised. With the western attitude toward marriage, this announcement was inevitable. These two are miles apart. I can understand his initial fascination with Queen Gwyn – the woman seems insufferable and full of herself, nothing like good old, down to earth Chris – but I just didn’t see them as a happily ever after couple. I guess oyinbos don’t have our values which make us work hard at and stick to our marriages even when all seems lost (especially when there are children involved). For them happiness, not family, is the most important thing, i.e., life is too short: if homeboy/girl doesn’t make you happy anymore, one must find someone else who can.

• Fashionista

March 26, 2014 at 11:43 am

Always remember, not everything is what it seems. you don’t know her.

• Bleed Blue

March 26, 2014 at 12:52 pm

My dear I tire for analysis oh

• CarliforniaBawlar

March 26, 2014 at 7:16 pm

She has a blog (for rich people….yes!!! her blog is directly targeted at rich mothers/wives)…..you should go on there!! She is in fact insufferable and full of herself as she is considered Hollywood royalty. I saw this coming from a mile away sef. It was even rumored he couldn’t bring friends over and one time she was out of town , Chris confirmed that he was having a lot of fun!lol

• whocares

March 26, 2014 at 7:37 pm

@carlifornia bawler.. Have you or anyone seen the jokes on buzzfeed? LMAOO. There is a picture of Chris standing next to a burger king, and people commented saying he went there to celebrate his freedom. looool.
      Here is the link, enjoy the comedy: buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadds/the-internet-reacts-hilariously-to-gwyneth-paltrow-and-chris

• SoChi

March 26, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Hian, see analysis. Down to earth Chris, both of you have had tea on multiple occasions right and you know who is at fault?
      We value family?? I like when Africans say, “o western marriages tire me”, when our idea of marriage stinks to high heavens. There are successful marriages in the west that are built on solid principles and foundations of marriage just like we have them in the African setting, but lets be honest, what we call marriages today is nothing but a sham. Too many of our marriages are convenience marriages and are better off dissolved. Let us not deceive ourselves please. Sorry for the rant, I am just tired of our self righteous attitude towards marriage. Most of us have no clue what the institution is about, some (thankfully not all) of our women are not thriving in marriage and some of our men are bullying their way through it. Anyway goodluck to the both of them and to everyone working on their marriages, trying to make it work, I pray for God’s grace. For the man or woman that has tried, I pray you find strength to find peace and happiness because at the end of the day, that is very important.

• slice

March 26, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Some 63yr old man just killed his naija wife and the other one stabbed her 73 times, are those the better values per chance. At least thse two have left each alive and well. Instead belittleing cheating and beating. For that, I give em credit. This oyinbo pple u guys have been told don’t work on their mrriages and that we work harder. Pls believe its a lie of the devil. They work hard. Even harder sef

• Fashionista

March 27, 2014 at 10:14 am

Thank you oh, I wonder the “our values” she speaks of?! Are you aware of the state of marriages in Nigeria today? How can one make such a blanket statement? Marriage is tough, some are able to weather the storm when they come, some may not be able to, end of. Because you live in a certain country does not mean that your marriage will work. In fact, if anything, living in Nigeria just makes you scared to leave a bad marriage and you just might end up dead!

• Karmen

March 27, 2014 at 12:24 am

Do you really believe what you wrote? I ask that in all honesty and no jest.

The average….and I mean truly average (don’t kid yourself oh a lot of us BellaNaija readers aren’t. Our demographic skews middle-class and the vast majority of Nigerians are NOT middle-class.) Nigerian woman cannot afford to leave her marriage. Be it due to lack of finances, lack of support and fear of societal pressure/backlash, your average Nigerian woman is well and truly stuck in the institution of marriage.

I will concede the West is sometimes too careless with the idea of marriage. But I would much rather live in a society where I can get a divorce and it’s not the end of the world, than one where all of society wants to come and break my head, judge me and consider me less than on top daring to leave a marriage that wasn’t working.

12. Bella

March 26, 2014 at 11:01 am

And another Hollywood couple bites the dust! so what of us mere mortals! I am not a great fan of Gwyneth but that Chris worked for me , I love his music, and his group Coldplay, I guess I just thought they would last, what a pity! poor kids!!. I hope Ange and Brad work. I should confess, I had no idea Gwyneth was older than dude!

13. Aderonke

March 26, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Really liked them both. Sad, sad, sad……

14. @edDREAMZ

March 26, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I love america…. What a well compose statement about there divorce…… Well, nothing in america surprises me anyone anymore, am just feeling for their two kid
    …..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

15. fashionandstylepolice

March 26, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Wow this is shocking. I wasn’t expecting this.

16. olajumoke

March 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm

If they are seperating, then their hearts should not be full of sadness…they should be overjoyed! nonsense….

17. Chelle

March 26, 2014 at 2:36 pm

This is sad for me. i really liked them together.

18. Grown Woman

March 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Chei Marriage wahala, God please help us all.

19. Beekay

March 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm

My best friend called me this morning to console me on the break-up….lol. This one pain me well well

20. LIKE SERIOUSLY

March 26, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I am not surprised. I only feel bad for the kids. Children start from their young age to think that co parenting is the way to go and them you expect theses kids 20-30years later to stay in marriage…and this is part of what we have decided to pick from westerners..What happened to working on a marriage(apart from domestic violence) and celebrating 50years anniversary.

• Tutu

March 27, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Thank you oooo!!!

21. Iris

March 26, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Isn’t this the story Vanity Fair was going to come out with a few months ago? There was a whole kerfuffle because she was fighting them about releasing the story. Once I heard that story I knew it was only a matter of time before we heard this one.

22. Tammy

March 26, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Another Hollywierd marriage bites the dust.

23. birdieblue

March 26, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Chris and gwenie why na!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???? Please someone should give them the fireproof dvd and tell them to take the 40 day love dare. Chai!! So where will Chris get inspiration to write those beautiful songs!!!

24. Anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 10:28 am

Marriage isnt a bed of roses i must say…I really give them crdit for staying together this long…1 year into mine & i’m like a 100yrs inside, its weighing me down & every day i beg God to gimme the grace to forge ahead despite all odds…i hope for the best though…meanwhile…sorry oh Gwynie & Chris, hope someday u’ll find the thgs that made u love each other & come back together…

25. thedarkeststar

March 27, 2014 at 11:52 am

Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin have agreed on ‘a Conscious Uncoupling’
    They’ve even managed to make divorce sound pretentious.

Courtesy of Sickipedia.org: sickipedia.org/sex-and-shit/divorce/gwyneth-paltrow-and-chris-martin-have-agreed-on-a-conscious-1559233#ixzz2x9vPNcjK

26. Tutu

March 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

@anonymous, God held you!
    Marriage is a choice. There will always be someone, other than your mate, who is more handsome, rich, wealthy etc….
    Marriage is a choice!!! I think most people get married cos everyone else is doing it; biological clock is ticking fast or simply for the excitement of the wedding day…
    My single brothers and sisters, look well’ pray and believe!! best of all, if you’ve made a choice, stick with it please!!!

• Anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Sure it is a choice Tutu but that we made the choice doesn’t mean we’re going to escape all the drama that comes with the choice…I married for the right reason, not bc sm biological clock was ticking fast or bc every1 else was doing it, but sometimes even for these right reasons its difficult to bond & as days go by the heat goes cold…but thank God Sha…He has been my strength, & the more reason i have to keep on keeping is to take responsibilty for the choice i made