News

Kaylah Oniwo speaks on Major Wardrobe Malfunctions by Nigerians

BellaNaija.com

Kaylah Oniwo - March 2014 - BellaNaija

OAP Kaylah is arguably one of the best dressed personalities. She switches her look at every red carpet, giving us a chance to see her fearless sense of style.

In an interview with Punch’s “The Fashionista”, the media personality shares the major wardrobe malfunctions people make.
“I think the major problem in Nigeria is the quest to outdo one another when it comes to style. We are indeed very stylish whether in our traditional or western attire. This problem is common with women and in the end, you come out looking like you are at the circus.

We tend to overdo things. Another issue is not dressing according to our body type. The moment you are aware of your body type, you will have no issue looking fabulous. Dressing in line with one’s age is yet another and it is often interpreted as being old school or less fashionable.

For example, American actress Sandra Bullock is 49; look at her style in 2013, I think she looks amazing. Her stylist pulls clothes that make her look very classy, yet young and vibrant without revealing too much. Coming back home, the iconic Onyeka Onwenu is another example of someone who dresses appropriately for her age and still looks fabulous.

A lot of older women do not dress according to their ages. No matter how great your figure is, you can show it off and still look way younger. Also, over-accessorising is another error. For the men, it’s the lack of attention to details, the cut of the pants, the fit of the shirts, the shoes. If men pay more attention to fittings, they will come out looking dapper. The men also need to focus on personal hygiene and grooming.”

To read the full interview, click here

1. WTF facts.

March 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

How is Kaylah a fashionista? Is she not an OAP? Nigerians and how they over hype all this people. From OAP now they will start to believe they have an idea about everything. smh

2. @edDREAMZ

March 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Who get tym for dress when money is the main priority….. Thank God this dress of a thing no dey enter my head, anything i see i wear but the most important thing is that am neat….. Still on still, thank God am not a woman…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. Miss_Flygerian

March 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Coming from someone who’s hair is a constant mess though, that’s funny.

But I agree with her. Nigerian women typically overdo everything, especially when it comes to makeup and accessories. They usually have too many things going on. It can be an eyesore. The worse part is that the excessive flamboyance is fast becoming the new normal. Less is more. You don’t need to resemble a color wheel or adorn yourself with accessories everywhere before you look beautiful. It just makes you look ridiculous.

4. Miss_Flygerian

March 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Coming from someone who’s hair is a constant mess though, that’s funny.

5. MOI MOI

March 8, 2014 at 2:06 pm

everybody is entitled to their opinions! Good on her for pointing out the obvious( but its not obvious to some though!! Nkiru am lookin atchu!)lol.

• Ib

March 8, 2014 at 9:07 pm

LOL

6. Titi

March 8, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Well, if that’s her in the pic, she should start with herself as i can see her strapless bra in that outfit!!

7. deb

March 8, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Ok. But in the picture above, has she dressed her age? Just asking.

8. Narnia

March 8, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Personal hygiene, grooming and a smiley face for both men and woman!
    Everyone always looks so angry with life

9. Onye Ara

March 8, 2014 at 6:29 pm

The word FASHIONISTA don hear am for Nigerians’ hands.

10. Soraya

March 8, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Nigerian MEN and WOMEN are far too fat! They eat large, dress large, party large, spend large- in short they do everything large!!!

11. Funke

March 8, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I’m not sure about her hair being a hot mess o, i know she likes curly hair way too much, that sounds like beef right there, moving on , i have to admit , she is right, so damn right about us trying to out do one another, i used to be like that but i realized i had to take a chill pill and dress responsibly. I love her radio show Catwalk, fun show. keep it up

12. Richard

March 8, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Oh wow ! Is this really her ? Wow ! These days we seem to have pretty OAPS. My dear you are so right especially when it comes to the men, I see some men and I’m wonder if they look at the mirror, I’m a man and I pay attention to detail, alter my outfit if I need to so I can come out looking decent . Women need to chill, I was watching the AMVCAS red carpet and wondering what the heck is going on especially their hair

13. Aisha

March 8, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Co-incidentally I read this article I’m today’s pinch newspaper , she’s spot on with her comments , I recall a 60 year old woman in my church who dresses like she’s in her 20s , it’s appalling !!!! And I think a lady who doesn’t dress according to her body type is Jocelyn Dumas ,well done with your fashion segment I’ve listened in about 3 times . Keep it up

14. Mr Mayowa

March 9, 2014 at 1:11 am

Punch may still need to conduct more INTERVIEWS…LOL , by Mr Mayowa via mrmayowa.blogspot.com

15. Soraya

March 9, 2014 at 8:28 am

When I read the article I knew people will have a go at her, but sincerely she’s right ! ! Our men do not pay attention to detail period ! I think she’s a pretty lady and looks quite decent too . Happy sunday

16. Fashionista

March 9, 2014 at 8:46 am

Lol ! Sorry just had to laugh at the person who said her strapless bra is showing , abet free the babe jor! She made complete sense Biko , we always want to outshine one another o , I do it all the frigging time,, she’s a pretty OAP and I enjoyed the auricle , she didn’t lie at all, so let’s not lie to one anther , dress according to your body type

17. Modella

March 9, 2014 at 8:48 am

She look alright

18. Seyi Adeniyi-Roberts

March 9, 2014 at 10:16 am

Wow she’s gorgeous !!!! I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, I’m of the opinion that Brazilian extensions should be banned if ladies cannot use it in moderation ! I thinks he was clear with her points without being sentimental nor self righteous , we are all guilty of making comments about people style .

19. Stephanie

March 10, 2014 at 6:10 am

Kaylah of life!
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

20. Geebabe

March 10, 2014 at 11:55 am

She looks overdone with her statement neck piece and decorated, fringed bright red dress!

• Funke Bankole

March 10, 2014 at 2:46 pm

@geebabe, no she doesn’t , I think she’s pretty really

21. TrendySturvs Blog

March 10, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Cool stuff

trendysturvsblog.com/

22. Tosyne

March 10, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Have seen pictures of her on red carpets, she’s rily simple and I love ya show
    tosyne101.wordpress.com

23. Kunbi

March 10, 2014 at 10:37 pm

She’s pretty , love her !